Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Neyite wrote: »
    Smear can be done at any point in your cycle as long as you are not bleeding or spotting. I had mine done right in the middle of my ovulation window.

You count your cycle from the first day of your period. So for instance if you are someone who spots a day or so beforehand, you count from the first day of proper red flow rather than the light spotting you got the day or so before.

She also told me that the smear had to be done after day 12 of the cycle and not before, so asked me when my period ended :(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    She also told me that the smear had to be done after day 12 of the cycle and not before, so asked me when my period ended :(

Back to nursing school for her so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

OK I don't want to get too nitty-gritty here :D, since you know your own cycle obviously, but if, by the way you have been counting so far, you usually had your ovulation around day 14, that would mean that your cycles are a few days longer than the norm of 28? But could they be a whole week longer?

In any case, head hurts; I'd call the nurse and say when the last period started and when you usually ovulate starting from that day, i.e. what is the usual length of the cycle from the first day of period to the eve of the first day of the next period. She'll figure out the rest.

Good luck! ;)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh and my GP sprung a smear on me one morning in my fertile window. So I told her
    she was likely to encounter some fresh sperm in there
    . She just said 'grand, hop up there and we'll do it quickly.'

So that doesn't affect results either. ;)

Neyite wrote: »
    Oh and my GP sprung a smear on me one morning in my fertile window. So I told her
    she was likely to encounter some fresh sperm in there
    . She just said 'grand, hop up there and we'll do it quickly.'

So that doesn't affect results either. ;)

LOL :D

Reminds me of the time I had a pelvic exam booked for a Friday morning. Went a bit merry on Thursday evening and had a ONS. In the morning, the bloke gentlemanly offers me a lift to my "doctor's appointment", and starts enquiring on the way as to the nature of the appointment.

The face on him when I told him. "And when did you book that?!"

• Advertisement

I was full of baby gravy for the last one too! Hadn't even thought of it, but boy was I embarrassed! Dreading it, borderline nuclear at the last one :(

I was full of baby gravy for the last one too! Hadn't even thought of it, but boy was I embarrassed! Dreading it, borderline nuclear at the last one :(

I really don't think there's any need for embarrassment. Doctors see this all the time, I'm sure. People have sex every day of the week, it's normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

dreamstar wrote: »
    Oh god really? I've heard that it can be really painful especially if they do burst themselves! Thankfully mine have been ok as in not too painful.
    And when you say it was the cyst - had it burst? What was making it so sore?
    Also - just out of curiosity which hospital were you in?
    I went to Vincent's all three times. The last scan I had was in June - just before my misscarriage. The clinic have said they will leave it alone while I'm trying to conceive and I should go back then once I've had a baby and they can assess it then. Here's hoping that 1. I have a baby soon and 2. that the cyst finally goes away! :)

Sorry dream star, was offline for a while. No, the cysts didn't burst. I think it was their positioning (leaning on ovary wall) which made them painful. I was in the beacon for first (and bigger) lap and coombe for the more recent one. Mine keep reoccurring too... To be honest, I don't care about them or the pain so long as we can concieve again. I'm on cd30 after the last lap but I reckon this could be a long cycle following the surgery.

seenitall wrote: »
    I really don't think there's any need for embarrassment. Doctors see this all the time, I'm sure. People have sex every day of the week, it's normal.

It was more her casual mention of my obviously condom-less sex (in a very professional manner) that made me realise what she could see. I had a good laugh about it, but it probably wouldn't bother me now. Same story for when I went to get my waters broken :pac:

As for cycle length, I'm still working that out as I've only had two periods since Abi was born and they are the only natural two I've had since I was 15. On both occasions my period came the exact day it was supposed to and I started seeing EWCM at the same time for both. But I haven't monitored too deeply because I know it could still be changing :o

Well, I'd say the same way you mark down the start of your period in the calendar, I'd say there'd be no harm in marking down when the CM gets proper EW. :D That's the way I'd do it at least. I hear that the ovulation sticks and such cost a bomb?

• Advertisement

seenitall wrote: »
    Well, I'd say the same way you mark down the start of your period in the calendar, I'd say there'd be no harm in marking down when the CM gets proper EW. :D That's the way I'd do it at least. I hear that the ovulation sticks and such cost a bomb?

I don't really want to get into it if at all possible. Was considering doing it after being off the pill a few months to get an idea of what sort of cycle I have, but really I'm trying not to obsess over it too much. I've only tried for two cycles, we intended to skip this month but it looks like that's out the window :rolleyes: and we got pregnant first try on Abi so all is in good working order!

Pity we didn't just get a blue tongue for an hour on the morning we ovulate or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I don't really want to get into it if at all possible. Was considering doing it after being off the pill a few months to get an idea of what sort of cycle I have, but really I'm trying not to obsess over it too much. I've only tried for two cycles, we intended to skip this month but it looks like that's out the window :rolleyes: and we got pregnant first try on Abi so all is in good working order!

Pity we didn't just get a blue tongue for an hour on the morning we ovulate or something.

A blue tongue would be ideal! :D

Digs wrote: »
    A blue tongue would be ideal! :D

Exactly!

"Darling, why on earth is your tongue blue?"
    "Why, I had bonbons for a midnight snack and forgot to brush my teeth. Fancy a shag?"
    :pac:

Seenitall, you can get cheaper ovulation dip sticks online, they are as accurate as the chemist ones and because they cost a couple of cents each, can be used liberally. Id get a bundle of something like 80 opk + 20 pregnancy tests for under 30. EBay shops and accessdiagnostics.co.UK have good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sorry dream star, was offline for a while. No, the cysts didn't burst. I think it was their positioning (leaning on ovary wall) which made them painful. I was in the beacon for first (and bigger) lap and coombe for the more recent one. Mine keep reoccurring too... To be honest, I don't care about them or the pain so long as we can concieve again. I'm on cd30 after the last lap but I reckon this could be a long cycle following the surgery.

Hi yellowhen, I'm really curious about this. Do you have children already? I'm just wondering if the cyst caused any pain during the pregnancy? I know they said it doesn't affect your chances of conceiving but I always wonder could it be uncomfortable during pregnancy. :confused:

Oh and hope you're feeling ok Yellow Hen. I know the lap is only minor surgery but it's tough on the body. Can take a while to feel normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MeganMay

Can I ask ye all a quick question about EWCM? I'm on CD 11 and possibly coming up to my fertile window so we've decided to try and have sex every night for the next week (if we manage that is!) because I'm not using OPKs yet and not exactly sure when I'm ovulating. (Definitely thinking of getting the clearblue fertility monitor before the next cycle). I find it hard to tell what my CM is like because of the sex and the semen.... and to confuse me even more, we use preseed as well which to me, seems to leave an EWCM residue the next day. Anyone else find this is an issue?

I guess the only way for me to be clearer is to use the OPKs or temping.

Mod:

Megan, we prefer that acronyms are not used on this forum as it can confuse people who are not familiar with them, so I've edited your post to make it more readable in order that someone can answer your question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi yellowhen, I'm really curious about this. Do you have children already? I'm just wondering if the cyst caused any pain during the pregnancy? I know they said it doesn't affect your chances of conceiving but I always wonder could it be uncomfortable during pregnancy. :confused:

Yes, I have one child. I had two cysts removed in the november and concieved the following June so I dont know if they had grown back or not. I had the most pain-free pregnancy though. Genuinely it was the nicest 9 months I ever had :)

yellow hen wrote: »
    Yes, I have one child. I had two cysts removed in the november and concieved the following June so I dont know if they had grown back or not. I had the most pain-free pregnancy though. Genuinely it was the nicest 9 months I ever had :)

Aw that's so lovely. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

MeganMay wrote: »
    Can I ask ye all a quick question about EWCM? I'm on CD 11 and possibly coming up to my fertile window so we've decided to try and have sex every night for the next week (if we manage that is!) because I'm not using OPKs yet and not exactly sure when I'm ovulating. (Definitely thinking of getting the clearblue fertility monitor before the next cycle). I find it hard to tell what my CM is like because of the sex and the semen.... and to confuse me even more, we use preseed as well which to me, seems to leave an EWCM residue the next day. Anyone else find this is an issue?

I guess the only way for me to be clearer is to use the OPKs or temping.

Yeah it can be confusing alright! Personally cm isn't the most fool proof way of confirming ovulation for me as I can have a good bit of ewcm throughout my cycle which is why I'm hoping the monitor will help. I vividly remember the cycle I conceived first having ewcm on cd10 and on and off until cd20 (which is when we actually conceived!)

I find the semen more liquidy than fertile cm which is how I distinguish it. I also read if you have the inclination (!) when semen is dropped into water it disintegrates whereas fertile cm will kind of ball up.

@ Neyite: I was just a bored interloper on here, sharing some experience for what it's worth biggrin.png ... thanks anyway, for who knows what's in store yet..?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Hi guys, I am due to start OI in a few months, just saying hi as I guess I will be around for a few months at least!

lashes34 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am due to start OI in a few months, just saying hi as I guess I will be around for a few months at least!

What's OI if you don't mind me asking?

Migraine since last night that reminded me how horrid the first few weeks of pregnancy was (I got migraines instead of morning sickness). No painkillers in the house except a bottle of calpol and nurofen :pac:

Migraine since last night that reminded me how horrid the first few weeks of pregnancy was (I got migraines instead of morning sickness). No painkillers in the house except a bottle of calpol and nurofen :pac:

Shashabear did I miss something? Do you have news?? :p

Shashabear did I miss something? Do you have news?? :p

Oh good lord no :pac:
    I get migraines after I ovulate :o But also got them terribly bad at the start of my last pregnancy. It turned out to be caffeine withdrawal - won't make that mistake when I get pregnant again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

OI is Ovulation Induction. I had 4 rounds of this Lashes. Series of injections, much like chlomid but stronger, they scan you on day 10 to check the size of follicles if they are a decent size you then get another injection to force ovulation.

I haven't really had CM yet this month, have had terrible Ovulation pains yesterday and today making it hard to ttc... going to give it a go tonight!

OI is Ovulation Induction. I had 4 rounds of this Lashes. Series of injections, much like chlomid but stronger, they scan you on day 10 to check the size of follicles if they are a decent size you then get another injection to force ovulation.

I haven't really had CM yet this month, have had terrible Ovulation pains yesterday and today making it hard to ttc... going to give it a go tonight!

Oh my gawd, totally with you there. Went for it last night (actually in an attempt to get rid of the headache) but it just felt so much like I had a pulled muscle or a stitch, was really uncomfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MeganMay

Digs wrote: »
    Yeah it can be confusing alright! Personally cm isn't the most fool proof way of confirming ovulation for me as I can have a good bit of ewcm throughout my cycle which is why I'm hoping the monitor will help. I vividly remember the cycle I conceived first having ewcm on cd10 and on and off until cd20 (which is when we actually conceived!)

I find the semen more liquidy than fertile cm which is how I distinguish it. I also read if you have the inclination (!) when semen is dropped into water it disintegrates whereas fertile cm will kind of ball up.

I think it's the preseed that's really confusing me more so than anything. Definitely going to get the monitor too - I was putting it off because I didn't want to obsess too much, but I think I'm going obsess eitherway so I might as well have some clue as to what's happening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

What's OI if you don't mind me asking?

Ovulation Induction, injections and scans to bring on ovulation. My periods stopped five years ago, on the pill for years before that so who knows how long since I did ovulate.

Thanks Hollywood, any luck for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement