Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Oh that was very restrained of you! Probably better to wait until tomorrow morning rather than do tonight as more chance of getting a definite positive, if it is positive. Fingers crossed!!

We're broke this week and all I have access to is pricey tests, managed to get to Boots yesterday to get a double-pack and I've just the one left - if I use it I'll have to resort to €15 tests :o
    Well (keeping this as vague as possible so as to not gross anyone out) I went to the bathroom there with the assured feeling that my period had just come in waves, and it turned out to be a lot of something else. Can't remember how much I can say here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We're broke this week and all I have access to is pricey tests, managed to get to Boots yesterday to get a double-pack and I've just the one left - if I use it I'll have to resort to €15 tests :o
    Well (keeping this as vague as possible so as to not gross anyone out) I went to the bathroom there with the assured feeling that my period had just come in waves, and it turned out to be a lot of something else. Can't remember how much I can say here :pac:

Might warrant a check up with GP if you are having unusual and increased discharge.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You can always use spoiler tags if you think its too gross - but its been a pretty TMI thread in the past anyway.

Might warrant a check up with GP if you are having unusual and increased discharge.

I don't know if it's unusual or increased because it's my first time off the pill since I conceived my daughter, and we found out we were pregnant two weeks later :o

Totally forgot I could do that Neyite. I'd be pretty blunt about these sort of things because I guess at the end of the day we are all dealing with the same kind of nasties :pac: But in the interests of public record, I'll keep it clean :o

I have not had a natural period (obviously I am not including withdrawal bleeding from the pill) since I was 15, so all of this is totally new to me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I don't know if it's unusual or increased because it's my first time off the pill since I conceived my daughter, and we found out we were pregnant two weeks later :o

Totally forgot I could do that Neyite. I'd be pretty blunt about these sort of things because I guess at the end of the day we are all dealing with the same kind of nasties :pac: But in the interests of public record, I'll keep it clean :o

I have not had a natural period (obviously I am not including withdrawal bleeding from the pill) since I was 15, so all of this is totally new to me :o

Similar here in that was on pill 12+ years prior to conceiving my first and subsequent 2 other pregnancies.

Didn't go back on pill after my first child was born. In my own case never noticed much of a difference between a natural period or a break through bleed while on pill with the exception of the first few periods after giving birth.

So if there's anything unusual it might be worth a query at GP's if you're worried :)

• Advertisement

Similar here in that was on pill 12+ years prior to conceiving my first and subsequent 2 other pregnancies.

Didn't go back on pill after my first child was born. In my own case never noticed much of a difference between a natural period or a break through bleed while on pill with the exception of the first few periods after giving birth.

So if there's anything unusual it might be worth a query at GP's if you're worried :)

I actually have to take the little one for her vaccinations tomorrow so I will ask about it while I'm in, just to be sure. I was put on the pill by him for absolutely horrendous periods with absolutely no regularity. I used to have to take the entire week off school for them :( He'll probably make me do a test while I'm there, but then when he made me do a test when I was 6 weeks pregnant with Abigail it was a negative so I can't really rely on that :pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I found natural periods a bit of a shock when I came off the pill. Heavier, lumpier, clottier, sorer. But then I was paying more attention to things in that area because I was learning about TTC signs.

Neyite wrote: »
    I found natural periods a bit of a shock when I came off the pill. Heavier, lumpier, clottier, sorer. But then I was paying more attention to things in that area because I was learning about TTC signs.

Well all I've had since Saturday is clear discharge that was originally pink streaked, then brown, then absolutely nothing, then a bit of a mess after sex last night
    (although it was still clearly just streaked discharge and not a period kind of mess)
    and clear again today. Last withdrawal bleed started on Dec 31st, so guesstimating I'm due in two days. I actually had a negative First Response test two days before I was due when I was pregnant the last time and then got a faint positive on one of the Dealz tests late night on the day I was due. Hence I am trying my best to hold out until then to do a morning test, because at least then I can say "Nope, not my month" and start counting again :p My natural periods were horrific like that as well, I was so sore, would be dizzy, nauseous, crying in pain
    and my pad looked like a dying animal
    so I guess that's what I've been bracing myself for :p

:D

No harm to double check with a GP, since you are in anyway, but it does sound relatively normal. The only thing they might suggest is to have an up to date smear test.

I use a mooncup now so get to see it up close and personal. Totally gross at first but now I'm very blasé about it and only have a bit of mild curiosity about it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Any update shashabear?

I forgot to post back after my last coombe visit. So this visit was to the consultant as the one previous to that had been with her reg. when I met her reg, I found she was quite blasé and wasn't listening to me when I explained how painful periods can be etc. so I met the consultant last week and I was meant to have a HSG. In the conversation, I mentioned the period pains and she was suprised saying 'oh X said you didn't have pain. If I'd have known that I would have seen you before Christmas.' I was really annoyed at this point. Then she said that the pain possibly indicated endometriosis so she says the HSG was pointless. So I was sent home with a date for a laparoscopy at the end of the month. Another month passed and I still know nothing. So frustrating.

• Advertisement

Frustrating YH. I'd to get a HSG but they couldnt fit me in this month, so my consultant appointment has now been pushed out again so that I get the HSG before this.

Full-blown period right smack on the day I would have gotten it if I were still on the pill :pac:
    Partner was downright disappointed his sperm was not as magical as last time, as he really, REALLY wants another girl. I'm just delighted to know I ovulated and have a faint idea of my cycle length :p

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

At least something good has come from the cycle ShaShaBear, forward planning for next month, you'll be better prepared. Hope it works out for you x

Frustrating YH. I'd to get a HSG but they couldnt fit me in this month, so my consultant appointment has now been pushed out again so that I get the HSG before this.

Im beginning to wonder is the money-saving by going public worth all the waiting?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Im beginning to wonder is the money-saving by going public worth all the waiting?

Me too. But I'd say I'm one public appointment away from being referred for private treatment, I'll stick it out because its only a couple of months.

This is the first clomid free cycle since July for me. Its great to have 'me' back, I wasn't as badly affected as some that take it, but did have some physical discomfort and emotional downers along the way that made it tough.

Me too. But I'd say I'm one public appointment away from being referred for private treatment, I'll stick it out because its only a couple of months.

This is the first clomid free cycle since July for me. Its great to have 'me' back, I wasn't as badly affected as some that take it, but did have some physical discomfort and emotional downers along the way that made it tough.

It must be really tough - I've a friend that had to go through three years of treatments before she had her little girl, at the sign of that first really big needle I would have been like "Nope, time to adopt more dogs :D "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

neyite once you get referred to the private clinic things happen really fast . We got referred In November and got our appointment for start of February . We could have started on my cycle in that month but I wanted to wait another month to get my head straight . We started treatment in march.

bobskii wrote: »
    neyite once you get referred to the private clinic things happen really fast . We got referred In November and got our appointment for start of February . We could have started on my cycle in that month but I wanted to wait another month to get my head straight . We started treatment in march.

I remember it well from the last time - the cash leaves your wallet quickly too :D. We didn't go near the public system then, but because this time around the fertility appointments are a follow on from the gynaecology investigations on the public system, I figured that we would give it a try if there wasn't a long wait. I'd say I'll be referred to private by Easter.

Shasha, I had to get the OH to inject me last time. :o. I look away when I get bloods done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

it sur dose . We were asked to settle up on our second visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I think I waited about a month for it, my consultant referred me so I didn't think it took that long... it was last year I had it done, can't fully remember. It's all a waiting game isn't it!

• Advertisement

I remember it well from the last time - the cash leaves your wallet quickly too :D. We didn't go near the public system then, but because this time around the fertility appointments are a follow on from the gynaecology investigations on the public system, I figured that we would give it a try if there wasn't a long wait. I'd say I'll be referred to private by Easter.

Shasha, I had to get the OH to inject me last time. :o. I look away when I get bloods done

What are the injections for? I'm hoping the coombe will prescribe the clomid and after that I'll be back to private too I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

hi girls, anyone know what causes long cycles. my cycles have gone from 30-32 days up to 42 :(

yellow hen wrote: »
    What are the injections for? I'm hoping the coombe will prescribe the clomid and after that I'll be back to private too I'd say.
    The injections were pregnyl. I took clomid three days at beginning of the cycle, got scans to assess follicles around day 12 then if there were mature follicles you'd do the injection- also known as a trigger shot - which made you ovulate. You can pretty much nail ovulation to 36 hrs after the trigger shot so you have sex twice- once before and once after the 36 hrs mark. The whole process is called Timed Sexual Intercourse or TSI.

That was private, and on round three it worked. This time it's clomid only and was on it for 6 months and nada. So I'd say I might be put back on that for 3 months once I go private.

Thanks neyite. Never went beyond clomid last time so good to know what might be ahead this time. As soon as I get the lap done in the coombe I might begin to make my private appt so I'm not waiting too long. Coombe didn't tell me anything about the lap. Last time I got a cert from the beacon for 2 weeks and although I fully intended in going back to work quickly, I was suprised by how tender I was. Last time I had two cysts removed. I wonder should i expect the same this time?

I'm out again for another month. Lap in two weeks so I'm trying to be hopeful that they'll find something wrong that can be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Hey guys,
    I have been following this thread for quite a while. Can't believe the thread has been going for so long. Anyways my story is that me and my hubby started trying for a baby last January. Got pregnant in May and at the 12 week scan we were told that things hadn't developed and we were going to miscarry. I cannot describe the empty feelings and disappointment. Bleeding started the next day and after 2 weeks of cramps, heavy bleeding and blood tests I finally had a D&C.
    I would have been due this month and I really really thought I would have been pregnant again by now. But we are still patiently waiting! Meanwhile my best friend and two sister in laws are either pregnant or have had babies. So upsetting. We are 2 years married now and I think the hardest part for me is that people know that we are trying and they are almost afraid to ask us how we are. And I'm nearly afraid to talk about it because I don't want people feeling awkward - particularly my best friend who is due soon.
    Anyway just wanted to share! Hope everyone is doing well!

dreamstar wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I have been following this thread for quite a while. Can't believe the thread has been going for so long. Anyways my story is that me and my hubby started trying for a baby last January. Got pregnant in May and at the 12 week scan we were told that things hadn't developed and we were going to miscarry. I cannot describe the empty feelings and disappointment. Bleeding started the next day and after 2 weeks of cramps, heavy bleeding and blood tests I finally had a D&C.
    I would have been due this month and I really really thought I would have been pregnant again by now. But we are still patiently waiting! Meanwhile my best friend and two sister in laws are either pregnant or have had babies. So upsetting. We are 2 years married now and I think the hardest part for me is that people know that we are trying and they are almost afraid to ask us how we are. And I'm nearly afraid to talk about it because I don't want people feeling awkward - particularly my best friend who is due soon.
    Anyway just wanted to share! Hope everyone is doing well!

I can only imagine how hard it is. I remember while I was pregnant and a very close friend of mine was going through intensive IVF as she has Huntington's (and obviously wanted to ensure her baby didn't). I was so careful about what I said and I was so afraid of upsetting or offending her! She got pregnant when I was about 6 months gone and has her own little baby girl now so I'm delighted for her, but I can see how it would have been awful if she wasn't successful :(
    Hopefully you'll see some positive tests soon!

I'm on month 2, got two faint positives last month and then got my period anyway - got one test upstairs sitting waiting patiently for the morning of the 24th :pac:

Aw well good luck ShaShaBear!!!!
    I have a test waiting for me too!! I'm not due until 6th March so have a bit to go.
    Have decided not to go down the OPK route this month and just relax and enjoy. It's just so hard not to think about it.

...oooops didn't mean to put an angry face and can't get rid of it!
    Still getting used to this.

• Advertisement

dreamstar wrote: »
    ...oooops didn't mean to put an angry face and can't get rid of it!
    Still getting used to this.

Well I'm on 2DPO now, and had horrid stomach cramps and trapped wind last night, and this morning I am peeing constantly as well as desperately needing either curry or gravy - especially gravy, and preferably on brussell sprouts :pac: Burst into tears three times for literally and absolutely no reason and am on the most frantic cleaning buzz of my life (including nesting with my daughter).
    Obviously way too early for symptoms, but a girl can dream :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement