Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any chance that Sandyford/Dundrum to Leopardstown will be finished/open soon? Driving to work this morning and noticed that the concrete barriers had been removed and replaced by cones. It won't make much difference on it's own-traffic gets much lighter after Sandyford/Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Has anyone got any sort of long term (other than the finish date of 2010) schedule for these works?

The M1/M50 end looks like it'll have some new sections opening up soon as they are placing ganteries etc up around the end of the section and also between N2 / Ballymun the works at the side of the road look to be in the finishing stage as all utilities are now covered in again etc... although the stretch from Ballymun - M1 looks a few weeks behind.

I dont think they can do much to partial open stuff along this stretch as the M1N slips off the M50 are still down to 1 lane and not much work has been done on them yet so wont be able to take a large volume of fast traffic. Perhaps JN5 - JN4 (Finglas - Ballymun) might get a lane or too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Any chance that Sandyford/Dundrum to Leopardstown will be finished/open soon? Driving to work this morning and noticed that the concrete barriers had been removed and replaced by cones. It won't make much difference on it's own-traffic gets much lighter after Sandyford/Dundrum.

went passed today also, from dundrum to leopardstown
    noticed the cones inplace, also looks like a fresh layer of tarmac was layed down in lane one,

so they just need to lay the tarmac in the hard shoulder and then lay the final layer to both lane one and the hard shoulder.
    looks like they have just about completed the utilities and kerbing along the southbound carriage way.
    havnt seen the northbound carriageway, but im sure its trundling along at the same pace.

edit, the north bound carriage way is not trundling along at the same speed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Hi All,

I see that the 3rd lane has now been marked on the M50S from the M1/N32 Rounabout to Finglas, does anybody know when this will be open to traffic, will it be before IKEA opens for business on the 27.07.09??

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi All,

I see that the 3rd lane has now been marked on the M50S from the M1/N32 Rounabout to Finglas, does anybody know when this will be open to traffic, will it be before IKEA opens for business on the 27.07.09??
    I'm guessing that the plan is to open both the third lanes (lane 1) all the way from the N2 junction all the way to the M1 roundabout before the end of the month, it's almost ready to go.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that the plan is to open both the third lanes (lane 1) all the way from the N2 junction all the way to the M1 roundabout before the end of the month, it's almost ready to go.
    I hope your right dolanbaker, this would completely open up this end of the M50 ahead of the predicted Traffic volume increase due to the opening of IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭sk8board

They've extended the off-ramp slip road on the M50->M1 nthbound by a few hundred yards on the new tarmac back towards ballymun junct. it gives a bit more room than the pigeon hole thats been there for the past 6 months

Did they just do that tonight? I came through there about 18:30 and I dont remember there been any change to the off slip.

Any improvement here would be good as traffic tends to build up back along from this off ramp pretty quickly during the busier periods.

Anyone got any schedule for this junction / area yet? The gantries are all in place overhead now and I see landscaping works going on back towards Ballymun / Finglas junctions.

you'd probably only notice it if the heavy traffic; moving faster it wouldn't be as apparent

Yeah, I also noticed that they seem to be on the finishing works for most of the section from the M1/M50 R/A to the Finglas Junction.

I was hoping they would have opened the 3rd lane before the Ikea opening, but after all the hipe I haven't seen too much of a difference in the Traffic on the M50 since it opened.

Still I hope the 3rd lane will be open before September and the usual build up of traffic at that time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

just an update on other areas on the m50.

firhouse bridges, all beams are up and across the m50, they are the beams for the new road bridge and the new pedestrian brodge.

also southbound between dundrum and leopardstown junction all tarmac'n is complete, they are just doing tidy up works when that is complete im sure they will put road markings down.
    northbound between leopardstown and dundrum, is 1/3 tarmackkkked, they are also tidying up the sides.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

also southbound between dundrum and leopardstown junction all tarmac'n is complete, they are just doing tidy up works when that is complete im sure they will put road markings down

as noted earlier the least busy section is finished first, which may not be ideal planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

ardmacha wrote: »
    as noted earlier the least busy section is finished first, which may not be ideal planning.

Yeah, seems odd-are they planning on opening it soon-I wonder-it would be a 3-2-3-2 lane situation from Ballymount to Leopardstown. And as you say, it's the least busy section. I guess there is more work on bridges etc. to be completed at Tallaght/Firhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Yeah, seems odd-are they planning on opening it soon-I wonder-it would be a 3-2-3-2 lane situation from Ballymount to Leopardstown. And as you say, it's the least busy section. I guess there is more work on bridges etc. to be completed at Tallaght/Firhouse.

The phase 1 section should have extended to Tallaght, the end of the Ballymount works went to the countdown markers for the N81 junction. There's also been 3 lanes from the N81 junction to Ballymount but not in reverse. more opening the least busy section first.....

It just seems from above posts that our planners have excelled themselves again by making sure that the major parts of the project are the last to be finished.

I don't understand how they could open the third lane between the n2 and n3 in both directions but now cannot continue this good idea and carry out the same layout on the rest of the project, even though they have the third lane marked for most of the northern end of the m50 in both directions, but who am I to know, I'm not a planner! Thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

celticbest wrote: »
    I don't understand how they could open the third lane between the n2 and n3 in both directions but now cannot continue this good idea and carry out the same layout on the rest of the project, even though they have the third lane marked for most of the northern end of the m50 in both directions, but who am I to know, I'm not a planner! Thank God!

And you probably don't use the M50 between N2 and N3 during rushour. The 3rd lane northbound greatly helps the exiting N2 traffic and also the mainline. Reduced tailbacks. Southbound it greatly helps the N2 traffic as the previous merge was diabolical.

To run the 3 mainline lanes, you need space for 4th lane / temp merging lane for all junctions. and that's whats holding it up for the rest of the northern section.

To run the 3 mainline lanes, you need space for 4th lane / temp merging lane for all junctions. and that's whats holding it up for the rest of the northern section.

No - run the third lane as an auxilliary lane, like what is between N3 and N2 for the last few months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

No - run the third lane as an auxilliary lane, like what is between N3 and N2 for the last few months.....

If celticbest meant to tun 3rd lane as aux lane only, then you are correct.
    If ne meant, as I (falsly?!) interpreted it, running 3 lanes for all of the northern section - including the intersections., then you need extra space.

I doubt that the Bullymun exchange has same amount of on- and off- traffic as the N2 and the N3. So the planners may not see the benefit. The M1 merge is clearly the northbound bottleneck. Donno how bad the southbound traffic is this days - I'll join from the N2.

from the Ballymun junction, to the M1/N32 junction, there is a 3rd lane marked out, with cateyes same as the section between N2 and N3. Going to the M1, having the 3rd lane open would easily increase the throughput as you wouldn't have a pinch point with the short merge of traffic joining the mainline and then demerging traffic later. especially traffic going from the 'Mun to the M1

as it was until the M1 slip was lengthened last week, M1 bound trafic was being delayed by N32/M50 bound traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

M1/M50 to Ballymun third lane was open this evening. Hopefully Ballymun to Finglas southbound will be open for next week as Ikea traffic is affecting the M50S at the Ballymun merge.

• Advertisement

jkgvfg wrote: »
    M1/M50 to Ballymun third lane was open this evening.

nice one, now open Finglas - Ballymun and we'll be in a much better situation for the evening commutes northbound

If celticbest meant to tun 3rd lane as aux lane only, then you are correct.
    If ne meant, as I (falsly?!) interpreted it, running 3 lanes for all of the northern section - including the intersections., then you need extra space.

I doubt that the Ballymun exchange has same amount of on- and off- traffic as the N2 and the N3. So the planners may not see the benefit. The M1 merge is clearly the northbound bottleneck. Donno how bad the southbound traffic is this days - I'll join from the N2.

Yes whosedaddy, I meant as an Auxiliary lane sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my original posting.

As I have read in some later posts the 3rd(auxiliary) lane has now been opened between the 'mun and Finglas southbound lets hope the same happens soon on the northbound carriageway as the main hold up northbound past the toll is from Finglas to the m1/m50 R/A.

jkgvfg wrote: »
    M1/M50 to Ballymun third lane was open this evening.

And Ballymun to M1 open too.

And Ballymun to M1 open too.

This was closed today when I passed at midday, It was definitely open yesterday afternoon.
    The slip for the M1 only started at the R132 overbridge today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This was closed today when I passed at midday, It was definitely open yesterday afternoon.

Was open late last night too

rang them and have lodged a complaint regarding no signage showing the lane being closed.

The guy said the third lane was opened for Ikea and closed at 6am this (tuesday) morning. I told him ikea closed a bit earlier than that.....

1800 77 50 50

Yeah those 3rd lanes don't seem to be open yet. (Airport end of the M50) The slips are longer alright but not fully open yet. I passed through around 8am and back around 6pm last night.

cargo wrote: »
    Yeah those 3rd lanes don't seem to be open yet. (Airport end of the M50) The slips are longer alright but not fully open yet. I passed through around 8am and back around 6pm last night.

They were open on Monday though. the guy on the phone for the m50 said so too.

Has there been any improvement on the section going from Ballymount to the N81 junction at Tallaght? is it still only 2 lanes or has a 3rd opened this way yet?

Has there been any improvement on the section going from Ballymount to the N81 junction at Tallaght? is it still only 2 lanes or has a 3rd opened this way yet?

Still two lanes, there is still a lot to do before these (one and auxillary) lanes open.

• Advertisement

Still two lanes, there is still a lot to do before these (one and auxillary) lanes open.

This was stupidly planned. Should have been done as part of phase 1 really. why did they do the opposite side of the Motorway, where there's no traffic issues first I wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement