Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yes but the increase in traffic using the r/b will surely have an impact on traffic coming from the N3inbound as well. They'll have to augment the lights to prevent meltdown on the N3 outbound which will in turn take time away from the N 3 inbound.
    A lot of inbound traffic goes to the M50 anyway so Northbound traffic will be filtered away (free flow I assume) and not be stopped at the Blanch roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Random wrote: »
    A lot of inbound traffic goes to the M50 anyway so Northbound traffic will be filtered away (free flow I assume) and not be stopped at the Blanch roundabout.

That's a pretty big assumption given the way things usually operate here :) They'll still need to give about the same amount of time to inbound traffic (which has become a problem in the evenings in recent months) whilst increasing the outbound time. I think it'll be fine in the morning when there's very little outbound traffic but the problems will arise in the evening. We'll have to wait and see.

3674194744_a12f750b66_b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »

That's a pretty big assumption given the way things usually operate here :)

No, thats the way i believe its going to operate. Look at this picture thats in the N3 thread, you can see the slip to the m50 is ready well before the roundabout :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60833468&postcount=80
    Davy wrote: »
    N3 Inbound - Inside the barrier is cleared where the new inbound N3 lanes will be.
    n3citybounds.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Looking at this diagram again it would appear that there is free flow N3 inbound before the Blanch roundabout onto the M50 North. There will also be an option to get onto this sliproad from the roundabout, presumably for traffic coming from Blanch / outbound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

2zf61l0.jpg

Aerial of M1/M50 interchange - don't know who it is by though but it's a good shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Awesome! It's really coming along. It's hard to judge how much the work has progressed when you use the intersection yourself but from that picture, it looks easily more than 50% complete!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Heroditas wrote: »
    Awesome! It's really coming along. It's hard to judge how much the work has progressed when you use the intersection yourself but from that picture, it looks easily more than 50% complete!

I would say closer to 80%. They are ready for tarmac on most of it. They have even started laying tarmac on the main line north and southbound on the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Any ideas when this interchange will be open?
    I'd almost be inclined to not open the M1 -> M50 part of it until more of the M50 work southbound is finished. Otherwise, it would simply funnel a large bottleneck of traffic onto the unfinished M50 and cause chaos in the mornings.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Any ideas when this interchange will be open?
    I'd almost be inclined to not open the M1 -> M50 part of it until more of the M50 work southbound is finished. Otherwise, it would simply funnel a large bottleneck of traffic onto the unfinished M50 and cause chaos in the mornings.

I don't think that it would be too much of a bottleneck, the third lane to Ballymun would open at the same time.

That photo was from the northern side of the junction, which is more advanced than the southern & western ends.

Work on constructiing the embankments for the M1S -> M50S after the bridges hasn't even started yet, same could be said for the M50N -> Port Tunnel road.

Still a good four-six months at a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Guy's I asked this question before.

What is the Cross section median width of the M50 from M1 to N3 blanch.

It varies I think of 15metres??:confused: The actual grass section. Someone told me that its widest from The M1 to the N3 and its slighty narrower from the N4 the whole way down the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

there's no grass anymore, only a jersey barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

darkman2 wrote: »
    2zf61l0.jpg

Aerial of M1/M50 interchange - don't know who it is by though but it's a good shot.

Great shot, It might be the angle of the photo but the new routes do not look angled. They would need to be angled to cope with 100km/h speeds. It would be silly if they were flat and everyone had to crawl around the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MICKEYG wrote: »
    They would need to be angled to cope with 100km/h speeds. It would be silly if they were flat and everyone had to crawl around the junction.
    Is that a presumption that the limit will be 100km/h or factual?

I very much doubt the limit will be 100km/h considering the M50 south of this (old M1 & Port Tunnel) is 80km/h and the M1 north of this is also 80km/h.

The existing roundabout can be driven at 50, so the larger radii of these freeflow junctions will be easier to drive at speed. The M1 and M50 is 80 at the minute on the mainline beneath the junction, I'd say the junction will have 60 limit.
    There's gonna be a lot of weaving from this junction to the tunnel, as trucks will need to change two lanes right to get to the tunnel, as the existing onslip will still be there for the N32 traffic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Actually if you look closely at the new bridges at the M1/M50 junction, they are indeed angled to cater for the traffic that they will carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Actually if you look closely at the new bridges at the M1/M50 junction, they are indeed angled to cater for the traffic that they will carry.

Yeah when you're driving past you can see the bridges are angled. Not sure about the rest of the junction apart from the bridges but I presume it will be slightly angled also if the bridges are.

28062009069.jpg
    completedbridgeoverm1ne.jpg
    JupiterKid wrote: »

The bridges do have a camber on them. Its hard to see on the pictures, but in these two of both sides, you can see the underneath looking north, where you cant looking south.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I hear that when the upgrade is complete that the speed limit will be just 100kph.

Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Yes, it's in the official docs. They had to settle for lower sight distances and lane widths to fit the extra lanes in without taking extra land at the edge of the road (some of which wouldn't have been easily available anyway).

Looking at the mainline from M1 junction nearly to the ballymun slip today, and their is a lot of work done lately. Its extremely wide at the m1 end, all asphalt down apart from the top layer. I can see them opening it till they catch up around ballymun and finglas.

• Advertisement

So how many lanes will there be from M1 airport to m50?

2lane Airport bound - 2 lane sM1 southbound.

2lane Airport bound 2 lane M1 Nb.

The Airport lane should have an offlane separated to go direct onto the M50 W-B slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

The June 09 version of the phase 2 upgrade leaflet is on http://www.m50.ie now, but it's very light on content. There's a nice aerial shot of the M1/M50 interchange work, but it's several weeks out of date.

They haven't even got the southbound fly over in it :pac:

does show you though that they are doing very well at the junction

mysterious wrote: »
    So how many lanes will there be from M1 airport to m50?

2lane Airport bound - 2 lane sM1 southbound.

2lane Airport bound 2 lane M1 Nb.

The Airport lane should have an offlane separated to go direct onto the M50 W-B slip.
    There's been a load of work from the M1/M1 junction to the M1/M50 junction southbound, I'd say there'll be at least 4 lanes, they've built at least one more lane in the median, maybe 2. Traffic from the M1 to Going onto the M50 Ballymun bound will need to move at least 2 lanes left, as the existing lane to the roundabout will be for the N32 only.
    There's no sign of changing the brutal merging system going from the M50 to M1N

I would draw the propose merge and proper lane movements. if I could get a hold of the M1 quadrant of this upgrade in a pic.

Can't find any online. The new M1 interchange is very scarce online. The only one is looking from the M50. That is no use to this or to me in trying to come up with a diagram of the new M1 runnning lanes.

The overhead gantries that hold the signs between m1 interchange and ballymun are up in both directions. One that spans the whole m50 6 lanes, and then one another on each carriageway closer to the m1 junction.

Is the M1 to Ballymun wider than the four lanes each way?

Could they not make the width to 5 lanes to the Ballymun lane drop?? There are no bridges between the M1 and Balymun so they could make the weaving lanes longer.

I wish they would make as potential out of this upgrade as they can. Its seem to be a logical thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Schematic of M1 junction and the others. Few years old now, Red Cow was totally redrawn since, as you will see.
    http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=196&Itemid=246

According to this the M1/M50 through the roundabout stays 2+2, which is a bit shi t.

a shot of the bridge over the M1 taken from the slip to the M50/N32 roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

A few pictures of the M50 upgrade. All are travelling Clockwise (Northbound) on Friday evening.

Click thumbnails for full size images.

First two are shortly after joining from the N4
    th_P1010779.jpg th_P1010778.jpg

The N3 interchange
    th_P1010781.jpg th_P1010782.jpg

N3 interchange
    th_P1010783.jpg

Traffic congestion further on (not sure of exact location)
    th_P1010786.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement