Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

MYOB wrote: »
    I take it he means the ramps required to continue going "northbound" (clockwise) on the M50, south along the formerly M1 to the tunnel.

of course... the bridge from M50north to the south facing bit of the M50 north sounds odd. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭sk8board

anyone know how long those reduced lanes will be in place as part of the upgrade of the M1/M50 junct, when travelling south on M1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

of course... the bridge from M50north to the south facing bit of the M50 north sounds odd. ;)
    That part of the m50 is actually going east to south, not north to south :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sk8board wrote: »
    anyone know how long those reduced lanes will be in place as part of the upgrade of the M1/M50 junct, when travelling south on M1

You mean the lane closure from 2200 to 0600? It will be for awhile yet, they still have a lot to do. They were laying asphalt today between ballymun and m1 junction northbound which was good to see

Davy wrote: »
    You mean the lane closure from 2200 to 0600

not quite, but that same stretch of road. During 0600 and 2200 the usual 3 lanes (2* M1 south lanes, 1*M50 roundabout off-ramp) are squeezed closer together and re-marked where there was once 2 lanes and the hard shoulder. Shows the traffic a lot as you can imagine, and only causes more of a build up.
    the end justifies the means I suppose :)

• Advertisement

My guess is this has to do with the upcoming bidge lift. hence my previous question then that is planned for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

not quite, but that same stretch of road. During 0600 and 2200 the usual 3 lanes (2* M1 south lanes, 1*M50 roundabout off-ramp) are squeezed closer together and re-marked where there was once 2 lanes and the hard shoulder. Shows the traffic a lot as you can imagine, and only causes more of a build up.
    the end justifies the means I suppose :)

sorry i thought you meant the m50 rather than the m1. Ye it would be for the new section of m50 going to the port tunnel. They were doing some work on the uprights this week in prep for the lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

What's going on at the flyover at the Firhouse interchange-it looks like they are putting in another bridge?

Anyone knows when the M50 north to M1 southb will be lifted in place?

They have the pieces on the flyover on the grass verges under where it will be placed ready to go. The weights for the crane are also there so expect it very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    What's going on at the flyover at the Firhouse interchange-it looks like they are putting in another bridge?

New bridge on the southside for cars, bridge on the north side for pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

I thought the new bridge at J12 that they're putting in and the existing one were both for cars and a new footbridge going in too for pedestrians. The map I was looking at seems to indicate that. http://www.m50.ie/uploads/_Plan_D14%20A3_2.pdf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Niall F wrote: »
    I thought the new bridge at J12 that they're putting in and the existing one were both for cars and a new footbridge going in too for pedestrians. The map I was looking at seems to indicate that. http://www.m50.ie/uploads/_Plan_D14%20A3_2.pdf

They're putting in two new ones at J12 at the moment, one each side...

lift of the 2nd bridge for M1/M50 loop is happening tonight... just went past it...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Niall F wrote: »

Yep...in total 3 bridges:
    North most one is new pedestrian bridge
    Middle bridge is existing bridge being reconditioned for traffic Eastbound
    South bridge is new road bridge for traffic Westbound

Also detailed on
    http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=266&Itemid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Great, traffic lights on the new Scholarstown Interchange. Just wonderful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

A couple of pictures, not great but I'll post anyway:

New bridge structure at the M50/M1 junction:
    th_utf-8BTTUwLCBNMS5qcGc.jpg

Part of Phase 1: Junction 7 Looking Northbound from the N4 Westbound Bridge:
    th_utf-8BTTUwLmpwZw-1.jpg

Click for full size images

Northbound to Port tunnel bridge section (Thursday)

bridgesection.jpg

Then first section is now in place: (Friday)

northboundflyover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Yeah, came up the M50 heading North on M1 at around 2am Thursday night (Friday am) and they were rigged up on a big crane and support crane(s) also lifting in the beams.

As far as I remember from passing back through there on Friday there was 2 beams in place and each section is made up of 4 in total so they will have another lift to do on that section before moving on to start competing the gap.

On another note, the deck etc on the first part to be placed on this overpass (furthest south towards the tunnel) looks to be taking shape nicely. I wonder how long it'll be before we see traffic on the first major part of this junction upgrade?

cargo wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll be before we see traffic on the first major part of this junction upgrade?

It would be great if the first part to open (and to my mind the easiest bit) would be the opening of the on and off-ramps from the BAllymun junct on the M50 north, joining up a the top of the hill with the M1 north and the airport. the traffic backs up there a lot in the evenings

They have the next pieces in place, so now the only have the last smallest piece to put in place.

Southbound on the M1:

07062009012.jpg

Coming off the M1 at M50:

07062009013.jpg

• Advertisement

Work from Ballymount to Leopardstown seems to be pretty much at a standstill for the past month-have the workers been moved to another stretch or am I just imagining it?

I guess that they're waiting for the Tallaght bridge to be completed, but there is a lot of "unseen" work going on by the looks of things.
    Drainage and other works have to be done before they can continue with the main road itself, most of this is largly unseen.

Went through from M1 south towards Drumcondra this am and there was a q of covered trucks and a road laying machine up along the new large ramp which takes you M1S-M50S.

You can see the ramp I'm talking about on the LHS of Davys 2nd picture above.

cargo wrote: »
    Went through from M1 south towards Drumcondra this am and there was a q of covered trucks and a road laying machine up along the new large ramp which takes you M1S-M50S.

You can see the ramp I'm talking about on the LHS of Davys 2nd picture above.

This the ramp you mean?:
    03042009315.jpg

They were laying tarmac on it alrite today

Yep, thats the one.. they're starting to make big visual progress on this junction now. No harm :D

I guess that they're waiting for the Tallaght bridge to be completed, but there is a lot of "unseen" work going on by the looks of things.
    Drainage and other works have to be done before they can continue with the main road itself, most of this is largly unseen.

I have noticed quite a bit of 'lanscaping' alright-I guess the high verges will have to be reinforced with concrete?

What about lighting-will that have to be moved from its current position?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I have noticed quite a bit of 'lanscaping' alright-I guess the high verges will have to be reinforced with concrete?

What about lighting-will that have to be moved from its current position?

They are doing both these a long the way. Around ballymun towards south all got new lighting, even tho much is in the same space. This junction has still got a good bit of ground work to go. They are consentrating on the bridges at the mo, they were tying the steel on the new M1 to M50 south today aswell

lots of trucks arriving this morning on the M50 northbound just past ballymun with all the machines to lay tarmac.

Heard a piece on Hook this evening that IKEA will have to delay opening until the m50 ballymun junction is completed; IKEA expected it to be July but the NRA say they are working as fast as they can and it'll be December

lots of trucks arriving this morning on the M50 northbound just past ballymun with all the machines to lay tarmac.

Heard a piece on Hook this evening that IKEA will have to delay opening until the m50 ballymun junction is completed; IKEA expected it to be July but the NRA say they are working as fast as they can and it'll be December

Was meant to be July 27th

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Davy wrote: »
    Was meant to be July 27th
    Aagh, but how am I supposed to splurge on stylish furniture now??

I have a Celtic Tiger itch that needs scratching...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement