Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

whyulittle wrote: »
    N4/M50 is freeflow.
    I beg to differ. The junction has no traffic lights but anyone going M50 Northbound to N4 Outbound in the evening will not experience this "freeflow". Quite common to have a 20 minute queue just to get to the top of the slip.

I don't mind that there's still queues at the N3 because that's not finished and has issues with nearby signalised junctions, but the layout at the N4 has had plenty of time to settle down. It was "supposed" to be free flow and there are no more traffic lights until after the M4 ends.

I'm not sure why it's so bad (other than the bus lane/cycle lane/weaving for Liffey Valley, etc ) or what can be done to improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Apparently theres some tinkering to be done to the M50N N4W slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

sk8board wrote: »
    the Dublin traffic radio channel had a 'news-flash' yesterday evening that M50 Trafrfic Management had contacted them to say it would all be open AHEAD OF SCHEDULE on Monday

heres hoping

Still not opened, Live Drive on Dublin City 103.2fm today saying Wednesday for opening.....as usual we'll just have to wait and see.
    spacetweek wrote: »
    None of those traffic lights you guys mentioned mean that the junction isn't freeflow.

In fact I'm not even sure what the point is that's being made. The junctions themselves are freeflow (except N3 straight-through movement). The rest of the road network is a separate issue.

Were does a junction end :confused: I would consider anywhere within close proximity to the junction as still being part of the Freeflow function, it a set off lights causes the slips of a junction to back up then the junction is no longer really Freeflow....
    spacetweek wrote: »
    Also I'm sure everyone is aware that Newlands is getting grade-separated shortly.

The last I heard this project was on hold indefinitely, it's great news that this project is to be progressed again as it will make a massive difference to the Long Mile Road & the Naas road outbound in the evening rush hour as well as the M50SB to N7 Outbound FreeFlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

the Dublin traffic radio channel had a 'news-flash' yesterday evening that M50 Trafrfic Management had contacted them to say it would all be open AHEAD OF SCHEDULE on Monday

heres hoping

This was in relation to the third lane under the N3 which is now open. The M50 is now three lanes northbound under the N3 which should have a positive influence on traffic at peak times.

The opening ceremony for the M50 Upgrade will take place on Wednesday morning on the freeflow from the N3 Inbound to the M50 SB directly over the N3 itself. As a result this slip will be CLOSED from 9am to approx 3pm. Traffic will be diverted inbound to turn around at the railway station over-bridge and use the freeflow from the N3 OB to the M50 SB. At 3pm we will start opening the three slips still closed:
    • M50 SB to N3 OB
    • M50 NB to N3 OB
    • N3 IB to M50 SB (Lane 2 currently closed)
    The new bridge however from the N3 to Connolly hospital will not open in the near future. Works in the hospital grounds are not completed so temporary TM will remain in place until October

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The opening ceremony for the M50 Upgrade will take place on Wednesday morning on the freeflow from the N3 Inbound to the M50 SB directly over the N3 itself. As a result this slip will be CLOSED from 9am to approx 3pm.

Very courteous of Noel Dempsey to close a busy road for 6 hours so that he can drone out a few words and get lots of photos taken.

I wonder where he will land the jet this time :cool:???

• Advertisement

The M50 is now three lanes northbound under the N3 which should have a positive influence on traffic at peak times.

Great news that at last the 3 lanes are opened NB under junction 6, this should make a massive difference once people realise it's opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

M50TM: Can you explain why speed limit roundels with the text "30" have been painted on the lanes at certain points through this junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mackerski wrote: »
    M50TM: Can you explain why speed limit roundels with the text "30" have been painted on the lanes at certain points through this junction?

I think he'll be staying quiet on this one. He knows he'll be abused if he admits the truth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

While these new layouts are freeflows, there are some quite tight curves. We've already had one fatal accident at the M1 Interchange, and if some paint on the carriageway slows drivers down it'll be worth it. Some loops are tight and speed limits are not just there as suggestions. The new layout from the M50 NB to the N3 OB is quite a blind crest on a super-elevated curve as it crosses the canal and this is why the limit is so low here. There is also the issue of bad weather, and how quickly it can reduce the grip. This slip will be open from 4pm on Wednesday and will be quite a rollercoaster for some motorists so take your time until you get used to it

While these new layouts are freeflows, there are some quite tight curves. We've already had one fatal accident at the M1 Interchange, and if some paint on the carriageway slows drivers down it'll be worth it. Some loops are tight and speed limits are not just there as suggestions. The new layout from the M50 NB to the N3 OB is quite a blind crest on a super-elevated curve as it crosses the canal and this is why the limit is so low here. There is also the issue of bad weather, and how quickly it can reduce the grip. This slip will be open from 4pm on Wednesday and will be quite a rollercoaster for some motorists so take your time until you get used to it

But the metal signs along these sections indicate nothing any lower than 50km/h, a speed that's already very conservative. 30 would be nothing short of ridiculous.

• Advertisement

So is the speed limit 30kmph or not on the N3 inbound? Surely that's not one of the tight curves you are on about? The actual signs say 50. So which one is it?

And where does the 30kmph zone end on the N3 inbound? The next speed limit sign isn't until the Ashtown roundabout.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What are the units? Do the signs mean "30km/hr" or "30mph"?

Stark wrote: »

I could see no units, but miles per hour no longer exist in Irish law. Of all the possible theories, that these could be expressed in miles per hour is certainly the daftest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It has to be KPH. The 50 is a calming speed before the 30kph. Just like at other junctions, it goes to 80kph, and then 50kph on the freeflow slip. I imagine the 30kph speed limit will only be in place on the yellow ashfelt section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

so, going inbound toward the city then the 30k is on the road just after you cross the m50 on the new bridge. there's no other speed limit signs then until the 80k sign after the travel lodge. is it 30 the whole way then?

is it just me too or are the lanes out of sync too. they put you into one lane for the city before the gym and then as you get to the new bridge over the m50 suddenly you're in the m50 south lane and you have to move into the left lane for city?

Random wrote: »
    so, going inbound toward the city then the 30k is on the road just after you cross the m50 on the new bridge. there's no other speed limit signs then until the 80k sign after the travel lodge. is it 30 the whole way then?

is it just me too or are the lanes out of sync too. they put you into one lane for the city before the gym and then as you get to the new bridge over the m50 suddenly you're in the m50 south lane and you have to move into the left lane for city?

I know there was a gym and a tennis club to negotiate and money was probably a bit tight but with the expense that did go into 'improving' this junction, if the only solution was a design where 30kmph is the required speed to make it 'safe', surely this hasn't been money well spent. Especially on relatively smooth N3 inbound section.

Who had the final decision on the design, was it Laurel or Hardy?

traffic travelling at 100kmh on the motorway suddenly had to slow to 30! I can see a few that comply being shunted up the rear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭sk8board

I have to say I wouldn't feel safe slowing to 30kph .. its a bit of a mis-judgement. 50kph was good enough, 30 is a step too far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have to say I wouldn't feel safe slowing to 30kph .. its a bit of a mis-judgement. 50kph was good enough, 30 is a step too far

As much as i hate to say it, but i think when limits come in to play here, its always done on the lower side now, because they know most people use them as targets. If the limit is 100, people will chance up to 120, if its 50, chance to 70 maybe, so if they put it to 30 people might actually travel at 50, rather than having a limit of 50 and no one sticking to it.

I've driven the N3 inbound to make sure. As reported, all lanes are marked with "30" and no units. No pole mounted signs exist. When approaching the roundels, they are actually quite hard to read, possibly because their position on the slope means your car is pointing up at the critical moment. Either that or they are insufficiently elongated to account for viewing angle.

Either way, it's just one more manifestation of the lunacy that a 30 zone would be on a section of road like this. Regardless of whether this is to be imposed as a legal limit, for my own safety and that of those around me I have no intention of heeding it. I comfort myself that there is nowhere safe to park a Gatso van on the sections concerned.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    As much as i hate to say it, but i think when limits come in to play here, its always done on the lower side now, because they know most people use them as targets. If the limit is 100, people will chance up to 120, if its 50, chance to 70 maybe, so if they put it to 30 people might actually travel at 50, rather than having a limit of 50 and no one sticking to it.

It's worse than that, once commuters get used to the layout they'll soon increase their speed right up to what they feel comfortable driving at, that may be 60+. I don't know the layout and am unlikely to use it, but I would be extremly wary of sticking to 30 just after any blind spots.

I comfort myself that there is nowhere safe to park a Gatso van on the sections concerned.

Then they'll park them dangerously so! :mad:

Stark wrote: »

As all speed limits in Ireland are in Km/h, it can only then be referring to Km/h :confused::confused::confused:

We've already had one fatal accident at the M1 Interchange, and if some paint on the carriageway slows drivers down it'll be worth it.

Was the death of the driver on the M1 Freeflow caused by the driver having a heart attack and not by driving to fast? (I was told this by a Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulance driver)
    traffic travelling at 100kmh on the motorway suddenly had to slow to 30! I can see a few that comply being shunted up the rear!

+1

If you were to slow that quickly you could more or less guarantee you would be involved in an accident, if you are lucky enough not to actually be involved the person travelling behind you having to jam on there breaks will either be shunted from behind or worse still serve across lanes to avoid hitting the back of you and be ploughed out of it by faster moving traffic in the other lane.

This speed limit is the accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Random wrote: »

Yes, they are out of sync. The situation is complicated by the outside lane being coned off from the Snugborough road on-slip all the way up to the split for the M50S. They've said that all works will now be completed tomorrow (Wed, Sept 1), so hopefully that will bring some clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

This was in relation to the third lane under the N3 which is now open. The M50 is now three lanes northbound under the N3 which should have a positive influence on traffic at peak times.

F3ck lot of good if did last evening. I was surprised to see the traffic backlogged at J6 heading northbound. Turns out that there were a large number of cars sitting in lane one, waiting to be let into the aux lane for exit to the N3. Hopefully, this is just folks getting used to the new layout and it will resolve itself.

It had better or I can see an accident. Irish drivers see nothing wrong with stopping on a motorway if they 'miss' the end of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wibbler wrote: »
    F3ck lot of good if did last evening. I was surprised to see the traffic backlogged at J6 heading northbound. Turns out that there were a large number of cars sitting in lane one, waiting to be let into the aux lane for exit to the N3. Hopefully, this is just folks getting used to the new layout and it will resolve itself.

I saw several cars driving in the auxillary lane, see the queue, move into lane 1 and then expect to be let back in further up in the queue. "Just getting used to the layout", sadly not.

At least there'll be the freeflows open Wednesday afternoon to hopefully eliminate the queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭sk8board

the 3 lanes of the M50N under the N3 junct worked very well this evening, 5.30; as mentioned above yesterday it was still a abit messy but people clearly got used to it quickly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Congrats Dublin on getting your M50 improvements finished.
    I really hope that this coupled with the removal of the tolls give you quality time back in your lives.

Now I'm from down the country so I've been told there are 4 lanes.
    I assume then that the following applies:

Lane 1: Tractors & cyclists
    Lane 2: Trucks & buses
    Lane 3: Cars traveling at sightseeing speed
    Lane 4: Ferrari's & the like

I'm so looking forward to using your 3rd lane sometime soon.
    Once again well done.

Dinny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement