Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Coming from the City Centre and having to take the N3 direction Navan i had the pleasure of almost crashing into 2 cars (1 at the front and 1 in the back) this morning who found out at the last moment they were on the lane direction M50 NB but decided that they needed to go direction Navan

Now i am the first to blame drivers when they are clueless which lanes to take but the new situation created coming from the CC is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

All national routes within the M50 should have been downgraded following its completion. The only one done was the N7 some 15 or more years back now.

So you think the capital should be unreachable via the national road network?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

inforfun wrote: »
    Coming from the City Centre and having to take the N3 direction Navan i had the pleasure of almost crashing into 2 cars (1 at the front and 1 in the back) this morning who found out at the last moment they were on the lane direction M50 NB but decided that they needed to go direction Navan

Now i am the first to blame drivers when they are clueless which lanes to take but the new situation created coming from the CC is a joke.

Likewise with me yesturday morning when on approach to the M50S overbridge the car in front just stopped in the south lane and indicated while we had to brake very very hard. In fairness the signs are very large indicating which lanes for M50 N/S and City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

All national routes within the M50 should have been downgraded following its completion. The only one done was the N7 some 15 or more years back now.

I hope they don't do this. N1 (North), N11 (South), N4 (West), N2 & N3 (North West) signposted throughout the city act as a compass which makes navigation a lot easier IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

KevR wrote: »
    I hope they don't do this. N1 (North), N11 (South), N4 (West), N2 & N3 (North West) signposted throughout the city act as a compass which makes navigation a lot easier IMO.

+1

Also National Routes are National Routes irrelevant of which side of the M50 they may be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

The slip from the M50 SB to the N3 Outbound will definately open on the 31st along with the rest. On the mainline, I expect the third lane under the N3 to be open some time next week as we want as little TM as possible to be in place for the opening. On the day of opening the off ramp will be one lane, i.e. the auxiliary lane, leaving 3 lanes Northbound

Hi M50, how're the plans for the last few phases of this junction coming along? I see loads of sweeping / tidying up this morning under the juction as I passed.

Any further idea of when the 3rd lane NB will be opening?

I expect the third lane under the N3 to be open some time next week as we want as little TM as possible to be in place for the opening.
    cargo wrote: »
    Any further idea of when the 3rd lane NB will be opening?

Yeah any chance it might be opened before rush hour this evening ??;)

Can you also please confirm if the light sequence will be updated for the SB off-ramp, it took me ten minutes to get through the lights at the top of it this slip this morning even though most other traffic apart from the N3 outbound now use the Freeflow routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Victor wrote: »
    Moved from Commuting & Transport

after 107 pages on C&T was it really necessary to move a week before it is finally finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Ah here it is, couldnt find this thread this morning!

Anyway, are the inbound N3 buslanes staying where they are? The solid line is almost completely gone on the first section, but the sign is still there indicating a bus lane.
    With the merging traffic on the second slip road as well as the exit for castleknock and the 3 lane positioning layout, the end of the buslane is just another obstacle to getting in lane early...

With the freeflow there is no need for a buslane there anymore imo.

• Advertisement

ciaran75 wrote: »
    after 107 pages on C&T was it really necessary to move a week before it is finally finished.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

its nothing to do with C&T, it should have been in infrastructure from the start. it discussion of a road and the construction of said road.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

Just a heads up if anyone is going to be driving inbound on n3 today gards are out with the revenue gun just coming up to the m50

its nothing to do with C&T, it should have been in infrastructure from the start. it discussion of a road and the construction of said road.

The question was why wait two and a half years to move it when more than likely the thread will be finished with in a week or two when the upgrade will be finished.

It could easily be moved then. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

celticbest wrote: »
    The question was why wait two and a half years to move it when more than likely the thread will be finished with in a week or two when the upgrade will be finished.

I'm not sure why Victor moved it here - but Cookie_Monster is right. Anyway, after 107 pages let's not derail it by wandering off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

+3

Furet wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Victor moved it here - but Cookie_Monster is right. Anyway, after 107 pages let's not derail it by wandering off-topic.

I know Victor and Cookie_Monster are right, but a week or two more before moving it would not have done any harm.

Furet as you said let's not derail, so does anybody know if the cones have been lifted yet under Junction 6 NB to open up the three lanes, M50MGT said they should be removed at some stage this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

I drove on this road yesterday evening around 7pm and the cones were still there.

Flop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I see the free flow nature of the N2 junction has been ruined by the switching on of the traffic lights at the industrial estate....it was nice while it lasted

Heard the opening of the remaining freeflows slips at Junction 6 has now been pushed out until next Wednesday, I wonder what the excuse is this time.

Also the cones were still down under junction 6 NB, M50MGT can you please confirm when these will be removed as you said sometime this week......

• Advertisement

because the "roads" forum is newly created

furtzy wrote: »
    I see the free flow nature of the N2 junction has been ruined by the switching on of the traffic lights at the industrial estate....it was nice while it lasted

Did you really think we'd get a junction to be freeflow on the M50 :confused: ..... after all it's Ireland & our great planning never lets you down.

Junction 4 (Ballymun) - Lights just after SB Freeflow inbound (IKEA)
    Junction 5 (Finglas) - Lights just before freelow outbound (Charlestown). Lights just after Freeflow inbound (Charlestown).
    Junction 6 (Blanchardstown) - Lights just before Freeflow outbound (Alburn Avenue)Lights just after Freeflow inbound (Alburn Avenue).
    Junction 9 (Red Cow) - Lights just before freelow outbound (Ballymount Road) & then just after freelow outbound (Newlands), lights just before Freeflow inbound (Newlands)

So really no junction when you take into account the immediate road onto which it leads is Freeflow as you will hit a set of lights with 200m of the junction.

A great example of this planning is Junction 9 (Red Cow). This junction is a joke most nights because of traffic backing up past the M50 outbound, the removal of the lights & a Freeflow junction at Newlands could have alleviated this nightly tailback & in turn would mean you could travel Freeflow from the Border to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Junction 6 (Blanchardstown) - Lights just before Freeflow outbound (Alburn Avenue)Lights just after Freeflow inbound (Alburn Avenue).

+ Lights on the Roundabout for N3-Out > N3-Out
    + Lights at Hospital Junction for N3-Out > N3-Out
    + Lights at Blanch Junction for N3-Out > N3-Out

Total Joke!!! Probably the most popular route through this Junction is not catered for!!!

Did you really think we'd get a junction to be freeflow on the M50 :confused: ..... after all it's Ireland & our great planning never lets you down.

The M11 / M50 junction is completely freeflow ;)

Apart from when it grinds to a halt with traffic that is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

N4/M50 is freeflow.

At least half of N2/M50 is freeflow, I've never taken the other half!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Junction 6 (Blanchardstown) - Lights just after Freeflow inbound (Alburn Avenue).

That one will, over time, make the car insurers and car repair businesses really happy.

Blind corner turning into a steep decent and ending with a traffic light plus people trying to take a left turn towards Dunsink while they are in the "3rd" lane.
    Destruction Derby Dublin style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭sk8board

Heard the opening of the remaining freeflows slips at Junction 6 has now been pushed out until next Wednesday, I wonder what the excuse is this time.

Also the cones were still down under junction 6 NB, M50MGT can you please confirm when these will be removed as you said sometime this week......

the Dublin traffic radio channel had a 'news-flash' yesterday evening that M50 Trafrfic Management had contacted them to say it would all be open AHEAD OF SCHEDULE on Monday

heres hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

inforfun wrote: »
    That one will, over time, make the car insurers and car repair businesses really happy.

Blind corner turning into a steep decent and ending with a traffic light plus people trying to take a left turn towards Dunsink while they are in the "3rd" lane.
    Destruction Derby Dublin style.

The fun's continued just after those traffic lights as within 1km, 4 lanes are reduced to 1. Rev up your engines!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

None of those traffic lights you guys mentioned mean that the junction isn't freeflow.

In fact I'm not even sure what the point is that's being made. The junctions themselves are freeflow (except N3 straight-through movement). The rest of the road network is a separate issue.

Also I'm sure everyone is aware that Newlands is getting grade-separated shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

spacetweek wrote: »
    None of those traffic lights you guys mentioned mean that the junction isn't freeflow.

I've been away the last week or so so haven't seen the final design or how it;s coming on but unless there has been some drastic change doesn't outbound N3 traffic have to go through two sets of traffic lights on the M50? And I'm not talking about the ones at Auburn Avenue, the gym or Blanchardstown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement