Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

the signs are crazy. you've got big massive signs saying one thing and a foot below them tiny ones (in comparison) saying something else.

just to clarify, if one wants to go n3 inbound and up auburn avenue toward castleknock village or to the park then they have to take the m50 south route and follow the old roundabout as normal and then take the left turn at the far side of it to pop out at the travellodge?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Passed it this afternoon and as far as i could see it you have to go direction city centre and make a U-turn at the train station.
    I had red light at Auburn avenue but to be honest i have nt paid attention if it was possible to take a left to go onto Auburn Avenue.
    I go straight there so i wasnt that interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

MrDerp wrote: »
    Stone madness. It's a good plan, and I've no doubt all the traffic flow figures stack up to make this workable, but I have grave doubts as to the practicality - mainly due to appalling driver behaviour and education we have here.

The 1% of people that read information like this will be forewarned. The 10% of Irish drivers who read signs on the fly and adapt will get it first day. The selfish and the rest will cause havoc. You're changing everyone's lane, and proposing to change them back again in 8 weeks?

This will cause havoc in the mornings, and will make the evenings look like the mornings.

Lane 1 is going to back up immediately. Lane 2 will be filled with people wanting to exit for the new bridge at the last minute.

Lane 3 will be full of:
    • The most aggressive of the last minute lane jumpers (of which there are plenty) - at least under current conditions many of these are in lane 3 anyway.
    • Drivers who can't adapt in real time to driving conditions
    • All of the M50N and City traffic
    Why can't the M50S traffic continue up from scott's as usual, re-double your efforts on the new N3 east to M50S bridge for 4 weeks, and only then come back and divert all remaining traffic onto the new N3 for the reconfig at Scotts?

The one good element to this plan will be Blanchardstown on-ramp traffic not crossing from lane 1 to 3

I'm delighted to hold my hands up and say that, so far, I have been wrong on this.

Coasted through at 5.30 yesterday evening. There were plenty of people confused, changing lanes at the last second, but overall the benefits of the increased throughput seem to have outweighed the drawbacks of timid and/or dangerous drivers.

That said, I did make my life easier by staying in the outside lane and coming into the middle only after passing the slip road for the new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's good that the lanes physically split off early from each other, doesn't give the queue jumpers a chance to squeeze in later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Hi M50MGT, is there any update on when more green time will be allocated to traffic exiting the M50SB at Junction 6 Blanchardstown, the tailback yesterday on the Off Ramp / Auxiliary lane must have been about 800m to 1km and that was at 12:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

coming home last couple of days from dundrum exiting at blanchardstown it was straight to the top of the slip road. no queue whatsoever so i reckon the green lights have definitely been extended.

this was in peak time also about 6.15PM. Saving about 10 mins a day.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    coming home last couple of days from dundrum exiting at blanchardstown it was straight to the top of the slip road. no queue whatsoever so i reckon the green lights have definitely been extended.

this was in peak time also about 6.15PM. Saving about 10 mins a day.

Just pasted junction 6 NB and the tailback today was from just after junction 5 Finglas, the green time badly needs to be sorted heading off SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

celticbest wrote: »
    Just pasted junction 6 NB and the tailback today was from just after junction 5 Finglas, the green time badly needs to be sorted heading off SB.

Will they actually do anything to those lights though?
    Once the M50 SB to M3 WB freeflow section is open, then the amount of traffic using the roundabout will be drastically cut and they won't need to fiddle with the light sequences. :confused:

I came in this morning from the M50 NB to Ashtown. First time on that section in a few weeks. It was fun trying to get into the Esso garage from the outermost lane. 5 lanes to navigate. Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

The new freeflow from the N3 Inbound to Auburn Ave opened at 6:30am this morning. There were no delays during the morning peak but some motorists are still getting used to the new layout. Things should settle down in the next few days. The delay in opening on Tuesday was a last minute hitch with Iarnrod Eireann in relation to opening the new bridge but this was sorted out yesterday.

Apologies for this scheme opening a day later than advertised but we had no option but to cancel on Monday evening, hence the short notice.

Next phase will be opening the freeflow from the N3 Inbound to M50 SB and M50 SB Freeflow to N3 Outbound

M50 Traffic Management

Hi M50 Traffic MGT

Can you please look into the temporary lane markings on the N3 inbound approaching the junction.

Yesterday I was coming along on the outside lane approaching the shunt left and I noticed a high top van I'd been deliberately staying back from cut from middle to right, blindly following the permanent markings instead of the temporary markings.

This wouldn't be so bad - as I said, I deliberately avoided being side to side with the van - but another idiot behind him in a jeep blindly followed him and nearly went into the side of me. I had to brake with a good bit of force.

I can't really blame the jeep, its easy to switch off behind a vehicle, but the van driver is precisely the type of idiot I referred to in earlier posts.

These feint yellow studs are simply not up to the job of marking lanes when permanent markers indicate a different setup beneath them. Any chance of temporarily burning off some lane markers until such time as the 8 week temporary lane alignment is finished with?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

M50 Mgmt....Any info on whether the M50 is responsible for the Off Ramp maintenance...The VERY necessary Lane Advisory signage as you exit at J13 Dundrum is now totally obscured by the foiliage....who`s responsible for trimming the oul bush ???

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was up around this area last night for the first time in a few weeks and, as someone who used to live in Blanch and knew the roads pretty well, I was massively confused with the changes.. as someone said, big flashing signs and overhead gantries saying one thing, and smaller roadside signs saying another.
    Doubly hard to make sense of in the dark!

Plus the speed limits are very vague.. one minute it's 80 (at the Snugborough Road bridge) like it always was, then 60 (fair enough) but then you have all these lanes and people flying by both sides of you while you play "Where's the limit sign".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

MrDerp wrote: »
    These feint yellow studs are simply not up to the job of marking lanes when permanent markers indicate a different setup beneath them. Any chance of temporarily burning off some lane markers until such time as the 8 week temporary lane alignment is finished with?

+1

they are difficult to see at night and in the wet too

Heroditas wrote: »
    Will they actually do anything to those lights though?
    Once the M50 SB to M3 WB freeflow section is open, then the amount of traffic using the roundabout will be drastically cut and they won't need to fiddle with the light sequences. :confused:

I really hope so.....

As this Freeflow has not yet been opened, the M50SB off ramp at junction 6 Blanchardstown is now the busier junction hence the need for more green time.

Inbound traffic on the N3 is Freeflow, M50NB traffic coming from the N3 is also Freeflow so the only traffic still using the R/A from the N3 inbound is M50SB traffic.

The majority of traffic using the M50SB at Junction 6 Blanchardstown is going outbound on the N3. Most people who want to go inbound would have come off the M50NB at junction 7 (N4) to avoid paying the toll.

However all traffic using the M50SB at junction 6 is still required to use the signalled controlled R/A. As far as I can see from the current layout of this junction there will never be a Freeflow system in place for traffic travelling from the M50SB to the N3 inbound.

FinalM50SBtoN3inbound.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Most people who want to go inbound would have come off the M50NB at junction 7 (N4) to avoid paying the toll.

Strangely enough, very little traffic comes off at junction 7 to go inbound for some reason. I very rarely see any cars coming off the M50 NB to head inbound on the N4.
    A few come off the M50 southbound, but again, not in any large numbers.

I really hope this N3 junction works. They've spent so much time and effort on it and it will be a crying shame if there are still tailbacks once it's completed.

However all traffic using the M50SB at junction 6 is still required to use the signalled controlled R/A. As far as I can see from the current layout of this junction there will never be a Freeflow system in place for traffic travelling from the M50SB to the N3 inbound.

FinalM50SBtoN3inbound.jpg

Maybe there will just be a freeflow slip lane through the roundabout, as the roundabout will be carrying much less traffic when all the works are completed so there should be plenty of space for one.

Maybe there will just be a freeflow slip lane through the roundabout, as the roundabout will be carrying much less traffic when all the works are completed so there should be plenty of space for one.

I hope yor correct but I have a funny feeling that it will end up like the M1NB to N32 were a free flow slip could have been built and removed the need for traffic lights at this junction altoghter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

Hi

We are thinking about moving to dundrum soon, but this move depends on how long the journey is from there to Exit 6 (blanchardstown) of the m50.

So does anyone know how long this journey takes in the morning?

Thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

Hi

We are thinking about moving to dundrum soon, but this move depends on how long the journey is from there to Exit 6 (blanchardstown) of the m50.

Thanks!!!

I do the same segment - you can basically drive at the speed limit the whole way between junctions in the morning (NB) and evening (SB). The bad bit is from the Dundrum exit roundabout into dundrum - especially when the schools come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi

Thanks!!!

i live in blancharstown and commute to dundrum (near windy arbour luas stop)

I've been doing it since june and it takes me door to door just over 30 minutes.
    usually 10 minutes to get on m50, 10 minutes on m50 and 10 minutes once leave m50

• Advertisement

The new bridge from the N3 Inbound to the M50 SB will not be ready for another 8 weeks so in the meantime traffic wishing to access the M50 SB will have to leave the N3 at Scott's via the new off ramp for the hospital and use the new bridge at Total Fitness to get back onto the existing route. The new freeflow slip to the M50 SB will be opened in 8 weeks. This will be followed by the freeflow slip from the M50 SB to the N3 outbound.
    cargo wrote: »
    Great stuff M50. Any idea how many weeks the next phases are away? I think you were hoping around 8 weeks for the inbound to M50SB freeflow. Is this about right?
    Original Post above by M50MGT was on the 01.07.2010, 2 weeks ago, therefore there is now only 6 weeks left before the Junction is due to be fully opened (around 19.08.2010).

Hopefully the 3 mainline lanes under junction 6 on the M50NB will also open on this date if not earlier to relieve the jam that occurs here during rush hour everyday.

Hi MGT have you any update on whether this junction will be opening next week as per your quote a while back which stated 8 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Hi MGT have you any update on whether this junction will be opening next week as per your quote a while back which stated 8 weeks?

The works at this junction do now seem to be finishing works. Coming North bound on M50 you can see new ganteries in place with new lanes "greyed out" for now. Inside lane was been laid this week and the junction was down to 1 lane for the duration of the week so all in all I'd say we're not far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

There is an article in today's independent indicating completion of the M50 upgrade "by next month"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

From looking at the plans, are they intending on putting the traffic from Blanch under the outbound section of the N3? I travel past here every day and it doesn't look like they are doing this! Or am I totally wrong?

blanch.jpg
    ?action=view&current=blanch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

chewed wrote: »
    From looking at the plans, are they intending on putting the traffic from Blanch under the outbound section of the N3? I travel past here every day and it doesn't look like they are doing this! Or am I totally wrong?

I think thats just an illusion created by only showing the road markings on the outbound lanes. Traffic lights will stay there.

Cionád wrote: »
    I think thats just an illusion created by only showing the road markings on the outbound lanes. Traffic lights will stay there.

Chances are, there was an underpass on the original plan, but it got costed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

If anyone from the councils or M50 company reads this, for the love of god can you:

A) Get the contractors to clean up their ****. There is construction detritus, signs etc etc littered all over the M50 and every junction

B) Landscape the bloody thing properly

C) Have a regular cleaning and inspection regime. The thing is filthy!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

runway16 wrote: »
    The thing is filthy!

Their is even a half roll of fibreglass in the median, thats how bad a problem it is now! Grass growing on the mounts on clay that were near picked up, again along the concrete median :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement