Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mysterious wrote: »
    The new M1 interchange is just plain horrible.. UGH

It's just nasty to look at on maps.

...well it can't be that horrible - AFAIK, it will be a directional-T interchange wrapped over and around the current roundabout. OK, we won't have a 100% freeflow junction there, but as far as the M1 and M50 is concerned, the junction will be freeflow with proper motorway grade connectors (not low speed ones like the N4/M50 ramps). The N32 is only a single carriageway link and the roundabout which it's served by, should suffice for the time being.

If and only if N32 capacity needs a serious increase in the future, then I'd suggest a proper M32 alignment linking the Airport Interchange (which will probably need an upgrade anyway) and Malahide Road/Clongriffen. By that stage, the M32 could also be extended Westwards to the N2 Cherryhound Interchange (and therefore Blanchardstown) and a possible DAA West Terminal (Terminal 3) for low cost airlines. This would mean that the outer Northside of Dublin would have its own proper dedicated link.

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

...well it can't be that horrible - AFAIK, it will be a directional-T interchange wrapped over and around the current roundabout. OK, we won't have a 100% freeflow junction there, but as far as the M1 and M50 is concerned, the junction will be freeflow with proper motorway grade connectors (not low speed ones like the N4/M50 ramps). The N32 is only a single carriageway link and the roundabout which it's served by, should suffice for the time being.

If and only if N32 capacity needs a serious increase in the future, then I'd suggest a proper M32 alignment linking the Airport Interchange (which will probably need an upgrade anyway) and Malahide Road/Clongriffen. By that stage, the M32 could also be extended Westwards to the N2 Cherryhound Interchange (and therefore Blanchardstown) and a possible DAA West Terminal (Terminal 3) for low cost airlines. This would mean that the outer Northside of Dublin would have its own proper dedicated link.

Regards!

arrrrggghh
    Its just horrrible, look at how iirregular and awkard looking it looks.
    The M50 to M1 movement should be directly joining NE, not around the roundabout, it's totally unneccesary to build a longer loop around the existing interchange.

The merges towards the M50 going west is nastytoo. N32 is mainline and all the major routes join onto it:mad:

Its just nasty and horrible with a traffic lit interchange in the middle of it...............

For anoyone who knows about designing roads!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

This bit gets me.....

The M50 arcs around to the M1 junction......then the bit towards the tunnel (formerly the M1) has been designated M50!

meanwhile we have the N32 (officially a motorway) continuing in the direction where the M50 should go!

This is so stupid and I can't see the logic.

The tunnel should be the M1, plain and simple. The M50 should indeed be extended to the malahide and (possibly) coast road, subsuming the N32.

The eastern bypass, if ever built, can be an extension of the M1 to Sandyford.

I suppose all this will eventually happen at some stage:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

mysterious wrote: »
    arrrrggghh
    Its just horrrible, look at how iirregular and awkard looking it looks.
    The M50 to M1 movement should be directly joining NE, not around the roundabout, it's totally unneccesary to build a longer loop around the existing interchange.

The merges towards the M50 going west is nastytoo. N32 is mainline and all the major routes join onto it:mad:

Its just nasty and horrible with a traffic lit interchange in the middle of it...............

For anoyone who knows about designing roads!!!!

I don't know anything about designing roads, but me thinks removing the roundabout and digging a big hole to then build a pretty new exchange was just not an option - given the amount of traffic flowing through the exchange... :rolleyes:
    I have no idea whether you could have come up with a better design while maintaining the traffic flow during construction....

what I find odd, if not dangerous, about the design is that M1S to M50S you have to move across the M1S to N32 slip (if there is a tailback...)
    and M50N to M1S you have to merge across the N32 to M1S slip to get onto the M1... assuming both new freeflow loops are two lanes, I'd expect traffic to move faster than on the N32 slips... there will be accidents....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pisser Dignam

The M1/M50 junction will be fine. It'll do the job. Who gives a rats ass what it LOOKS like. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The M1/M50 junction will be fine. It'll do the job. Who gives a rats ass what it LOOKS like. Jesus.

When your actually moving and not stopped at the lights you wont even have time to look at it :D

hears hopping anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I don't know anything about designing roads, but me thinks removing the roundabout and digging a big hole to then build a pretty new exchange was just not an option - given the amount of traffic flowing through the exchange... :rolleyes:
    I have no idea whether you could have come up with a better design while maintaining the traffic flow during construction....

what I find odd, if not dangerous, about the design is that M1S to M50S you have to move across the M1S to N32 slip (if there is a tailback...)
    and M50N to M1S you have to merge across the N32 to M1S slip to get onto the M1... assuming both new freeflow loops are two lanes, I'd expect traffic to move faster than on the N32 slips... there will be accidents....

No I'm talking about the AWFUL MANOUVERING SLIP JOINING AROUND THE ROUNDABOUT. it's an over kill.

I will post up a better map, and explain clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

They were busy last night. Bridges were dropped in at Blanch and Finglas and possibly elsewhere. Long way to go still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Typical attitude to just about everything that gets built in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pisser Dignam

Furet wrote: »
    Typical attitude to just about everything that gets built in the country.

Its a motorway junction not a city block. It looks fine and, more importantly, its fully functional. Its got all the movements - that atypical for this country. I don't see a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭sk8board

Regarding that island they've created from Ballymount down past the tallaght junct, when do they expect to put things back the way they were (or better)?

Its causing traffic to build up much worse than usual, from before the red cow junct.

If it follows the pattern of previous island works, about two weeks.

sk8board wrote: »
    Regarding that island they've created from Ballymount down past the tallaght junct, when do they expect to put things back the way they were (or better)?

Its causing traffic to build up much worse than usual, from before the red cow junct.

I actually don't think the tailbacks are much worse. The lane split has moved further north, hence the queue starts earlier...

I'd expect the current split to be gone this week. But the two lane swerve at Tallagh will remain - just like northbound... Me thinks they got the timing of upgrading that bridge wrong - starting way too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ihatewallies

Stupido wrote: »
    This bit gets me.....

The M50 arcs around to the M1 junction......then the bit towards the tunnel (formerly the M1) has been designated M50!

meanwhile we have the N32 (officially a motorway) continuing in the direction where the M50 should go!

This is so stupid and I can't see the logic.

The tunnel should be the M1, plain and simple. The M50 should indeed be extended to the malahide and (possibly) coast road, subsuming the N32.

The eastern bypass, if ever built, can be an extension of the M1 to Sandyford.

I suppose all this will eventually happen at some stage:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

obviously you know everything. this is why you can safely spout the 1st idea that comes into your head without any need to find out about silly facts.

I actually don't think the tailbacks are much worse. The lane split has moved further north, hence the queue starts earlier...

I'd expect the current split to be gone this week. But the two lane swerve at Tallagh will remain - just like northbound... Me thinks they got the timing of upgrading that bridge wrong - starting way too late.

fair enough if you're going further south, but I come off at ballymount or tallaght, so its a queue I didn't have before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There will be 3 lanes southbound to the Tallaght exit in a few weeks, easing things significantly. There will be swerve at the bridge, but I suspect the thinking was that the lanes would increase capacity, so get them open first and tidy up the junctions afterwards.

fair enough if you're going further south, but I come off at ballymount or tallaght, so its a queue I didn't have before :)

that of course is added traffic for you... :)

edit: lane split is gone as of this morning!

will the upgrade to three lanes from Finglas - M1 be open any time soon? It seems to be pretty much finished in both directions. Ditto for the south-bound parts from Ballymount, past tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

will the upgrade to three lanes from Finglas - M1 be open any time soon? It seems to be pretty much finished in both directions. Ditto for the south-bound parts from Ballymount, past tallaght

It looks they're still working on widening the road to include the 4th auxiliary lane and hard shoulder. I'd say it'll be a few months yet, as they might keep the 3rd lane closed to give work vehicles room to manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's 3 lanes clockwise from Tallaght to Ballymount,

There's the beams for a bridge over the M50 at the N3 junction and same at the N32 and M50 from the M1 to the tunnell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the sandyford junction is a joke, 3 sets of lights, when none are needed!

weehamster wrote: »

eh? I come down the M1 and on to the M50 every morning and the bridge wasn't there this morning. Are those pics photoshopped or have I completely lost the plot and gone blind?

EDIT: Just checked flickr, those are taken looking north on the M1, not south. Phew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

You have indeed lost the plot and gone blind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eh? I come down the M1 and on to the M50 every morning and the bridge wasn't there this morning. Are those pics photoshopped or have I completely lost the plot and gone blind?

EDIT: Just checked flickr, those are taken looking north on the M1, not south. Phew.

Think you should be driving to specsavers if you cant see those bridges! they have been there for awhile now ;)

Davy wrote: »
    Think you should be driving to specsavers if you cant see those bridges! they have been there for awhile now ;)

not if you are coming southbound on the M1 and on to the M50! saw it on friday though, the one on the nth side of the jnct is nearly ready to lift on the bridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

C1165_S02_lift1_sm.JPG

c1165_s02_3.JPG

M1 Southbound to M50 Southbound flyover

darkman2 wrote: »
    C1165_S02_lift1_sm.JPG

c1165_s02_3.JPG

M1 Southbound to M50 Southbound flyover

that is the same bridge as in weehamsters post. isn't it.

Anyone knows when the M50 north to M1 southb will be lifted in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Anyone knows when the M50 north to M1 southb will be lifted in place?
    Not the answer to your question but there is no M50 north to M1 south, it's just a continuation of the M50, the M1 ends southbound/begins northbound at J3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Not the answer to your question but there is no M50 north to M1 south, it's just a continuation of the M50, the M1 ends southbound/begins northbound at J3.

I take it he means the ramps required to continue going "northbound" (clockwise) on the M50, south along the formerly M1 to the tunnel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement