Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

• 13-02-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Now that we have seen the first part (M1 to N2) of the northern section roadwork prep completed - loosing hard shoulder in the process.

It looks like same is about to happen on the souther end of the M50.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Roads/M50_SpeedLimit.htm
    Change of Speed Limit on M50 from Junction 14 (Leopardstown Interchange)
    to the County boundary with South Dublin County Council

Notice is hereby given that in exercise of the powers vested under Section 10 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004 and in the interests of Road Safety, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council propose to apply a Road Works Speed Limit Order of 60km/h as follows:

On the M50 motorway, from border with South Dublin County to Junction 14 (Leopardstown Interchange)to the County boundary with South Dublin County Council.

The speed limit reduction is to facilitate the safe construction works associated with the Upgrade Project – Contract No. 2 (the widening of M50).

The speed limit of 60km/h shall apply for a period of 8 months from 18th February, 2008 to 17th October, 2008.

I've also noticed on M50 south from the Firhouse exit they have started closing the hard shoulder to remove the cateye reflector thingies.

I can only hope they won't do anything before the Phase I mainline has been opened for 3 lanes... Otherwise only 6km of the 32 km from M1 to past exit 14 will have a hard shoulder for broken down cars/trucks/dead horses, etc.

Any word when the roadworks on northern section is about to start...
    http://www.m50concession.ie/ is still under construction, just like the M50 itself.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

Roadworks have started last week on the northern section. Most of the bushes in the middle have been removed at this stage and now they are removing earth. Fascinating sight, nearly everyone slowed down this morning to have a good look at a digger putting dirt in a lorry. Took 40 minutes to get from the toll to the M1.

Can you read into the fact that they are only putting the limit in place for 8 months that this is all it is going to take?

Given it is different crowds constructing it, I would doubt there has been any thought about staggering the works between phase 1, 2 and 3. End of March is supposed to be the 3 lanes and September the completion of phase 1, probably with a big do by Bertie of opening the toll barriers. I would think Phase 3 is probably complete already, they just won't open it until something else opens. The whole Ikea opening in September has gone quiet lately and if they do complete the northern section in 9 months and the southern section in 8 months, then I don't know why it took so long for phase 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

jeah - heard of the impact that one digger had on the M50 northbound.. So figured work had started.

they've started painting temp road markings on the southern section...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

jeah - heard of the impact that one digger had on the M50 northbound.. So figured work had started.

they've started painting temp road markings on the southern section...

Work on Southern Section confirmed - see www.m50.ie (www.m50concession.ie is still not up :( )

Let's hope the work reflects the methodology of Phase 3 rather than the circus of Phase 1! :rolleyes:

Regards!

hmm Phase III isn't exactly progressing at light speed either.
    work started 11th June 07. Switchover to newly constructed lanes 10th Nov 07 (5 month) now its Feb 08 and still not exactly finshed. Its 8 month since start and remember its only a 3 km stretch.
    While the remaining northern and the southern section are 10km each!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

The date for the completion of the mainline and N4 junction is the 14th of march. Not likely to happen. Its close to being completed but there are a few things which could delay it for a few weeks.
    Phase 1 is by far the most difficult of the 3 sections with two complete junction changes and its also the oldest section of the M50 meaning everything had to be replaced. Little or no drainage was reused. The efficiency of SIAC might be a factor too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Anyone come across photos of construction of Phase 1? For such a large project you'd think there would be plenty, especially of the junctions.

• Watch it live ;)

Site0Camera89.jpg
    edit: at the time of linking only the median hedge had been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Anyone come across photos of construction of Phase 1? For such a large project you'd think there would be plenty, especially of the junctions.
    Thats because most of the other junctions on the next phase are not being changed very much.

ROAD WORKS SPEED LIMIT ORDER

M50 (from 340m south of the Greenhills Road overbridge and the County Boundary with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.)
    The Road Works speed Limit of 60 km/h will apply from Monday 25th February 2008 until Tuesday 24th February 2009.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=14050

At least a year for Phase II to be completed...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

speaking of speed limits
    right so your driving on the m50 south doing 100k and the speed on those porta signs then wants you to do 60k now the road is clear of everything except a few cones so doing the 100k is safe can i get done? i thought that speed limits are only from fixed road signage .now im not a speed merchant but some of these porta signs are abit stupid dont yous think :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Afaik, you can get done even if there's no speed limit sign.

• The 60Kmh limit is from the first sign to the first sign displaying a different limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

The 60Kmh limit is from the first sign to the first sign displaying a different limit.

No - well, possibly, but only assuming good co-ordination. It applies over whatever stretch the legal paperwork says it does, irrespective of signage. This would obviously weaken your case if stopped on the written-up stretch and without having passed a sign raising the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

spotted some lines painted today...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ice_Box wrote: »
    spotted some lines painted today...

Looks good! I assume traffic will be moved int othose middle lanes for a month or two while they resurface the outer lanes?

• If phase I was anything to go by, it would be nearer six months!

But I expect it to be less as I don't think that the outside sections of the carriageway need to be rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think they'll rebuild them regardless.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

http://www.m50concession.ie/ is still under construction, just like the M50 itself.

That site seems to be gone altogether now.

Haven't seen them vans on the M50 for a while.

Wonder if the company went belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

which part of the m50 was the picture from?

• near Ballymun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ipodrocker wrote: »
    which part of the m50 was the picture from?

Its at the Ballymun flyover looking towards the M1/M50 roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

The ex. carriageway won't be rebuilt - top 90-110mm will be taken off and 2 layers of new blacktop will go on.

The fact that it isn't full depth road construction as in the median is irrelevant as I'd imagine its the junction upgrades that will dictate when sections can fully open to 3 lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

its great to see they seem to be doing well on the northside part of the m50 as its needed alot, looks like the new bit of m50 on northside is way aheado the southside part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

ipodrocker wrote: »
    its great to see they seem to be doing well on the northside part of the m50 as its needed alot, looks like the new bit of m50 on northside is way aheado the southside part.

Different contractor AFAIK

the northside section started a good few month ahead of the southside bit.
    its more important to get the volume from/to M1 moving me thinks. and then there is the added IKEA factor :-)

but the new junctions need to play catch-up with the mainline alright...

• The other reason is, it's the official truck route from Dublin port!

Looking at the cameras it appears that the inner lanes could be in use by Christmas and if all is needed is a couple of layers of top surface on the outer lanes, it may be up to three lanes as well ;)

doubt that there will be three lanes before end of year.
    if it was three lanes, there would be no room for junction work on the sides. but lets be optimistic until proven wrong...

• three lanes between junctions, with the third one acting as a slip should be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

just hope the finish is smoother than Phase 1 - parts of that are like a bloody rollercoaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I've looked at the width of the M50.

First thing I've noticed is that they should of knocked the two old bridges at the recow and widened them. While building the news ones adjacent to wider widths alas. The new bridges are built to the same width as the older bridges. The Recow bridges now cannot be future proofed or widened as the New bridges are incoporated into the new layout.

Basically the width is 3 . 3.5m lane and slip is the width.

Bridges between the Lucan road and the Recow. Have 3 lanes, Auxillary lane and a HS, with a a verge too beside the bridges in this current upgrade, so it's alot wider than the Redcow section. Therefore the actual bridge widths vary from bridge to bridge thoughout the M50s length. Thus, meaning that if they did widen the old Redcow brdges we could of have had, 4 running lanes between the Tollbridge and Ballymount including under the bridges. 4 lanes with a Auxillary lane then added between the interchanges. This could of easily been done, There is plenty of land at the side where the verges, even at present just from looking at the recent upgrade, the boundaries are still very wide from the HS to the sound barriers walls that were newly built, it looks at least like 10 metres if not more scope of land here..

Also the Median is much wider in some areas for example.

Again the Median under the redcow, is very narrow than, in comparison the the median between the N3 and Ballymun interchanges.

What are the median varients in width, could anyone tell me.

Btw, Ive seen that the N3 interchanged has been changed in many areas. The Mainline traffic coming from Navan and Blanch over a new elevated bridge now is not free flowing onto the city bound road. This slip was actually planned flys by the existing traffic lit junction and then merged up with the city road after these traffic lights, so the main road movements from the Northwest would not have to interfere with the traffic using the junction. In the new layout it now joins into the traffic lit junction just after the interchange. Does anyone know what I'm on about lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement