Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

thats what i mean it was a bit late but i guess its never to late to cash in:(

Eamon Keane Sr. was well known to be an alcoholic, which must of been rough on everybody involved. Eamon Jr. would have been quite young at the time, so I wouldn't be rushing in to judge.

That said, I can't stand the man's radio show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

eamon keane was on saturday night he was embarrasing singing for his father a bit late considering he hadnt spoken to the man for years
    he is always trying to stir up controversy and maybe get a headline for himself it is always about himself

I thought it was a bit bizarre. They cut short his usual pontificating about the civil servants to talk about his father and sing a song. Was some change of pace. And then he sings, was kinda surreal. Song wasnt great... dont think the term "hang the moon" is well enough known to base a song around the expression.

The song had the feel of being pre recorded for some reason. Any body know if it was or was it played live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭bored and fussy

i do agree with you the effects of alcholism cannot be measured it effects not just one generation but future generations.

but it saddened me to hear him say he didnt know his father was dead so he had lost contact with his whole family surely they were not all alcoholics I am sorry but he does not ring true with me i still believe he is using his late fathers name now when it suits him

but it saddened me to hear him say he didnt know his father was dead so he had lost contact with his whole family surely they were not all alcoholics I am sorry but he does not ring true with me i still believe he is using his late fathers name now when it suits him

I didn't see the show on Saturday night, if thats how you felt - fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

bbor005 wrote: »
    Anyone hear the pre-recorded 'apology' Newstalk aired today at around 8:45, regarding Claire Byrne's comments about Susan Boyle?

The woman didn't have the bollix to do it herself, it was some guy reading out a statement essentially saying 'sorry' but without directly apologising. Bunch of jokers.

The comments, much like Claire herself, were completely out of place on what is supposed to be one of the flagship programmes on a supposedly business-oriented radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Claire Byrne is a total liability, not sure how she still has the position to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

mike65 wrote: »
    Claire Byrne is a total liability, not sure how she still has the position to be honest.

It has to be the juicy contract she locked down on the move from TV3 doesnt it?

The NT beancounters might be better to consider whether her very presence on this show is dragging the ratings down, and the cost of ad slots on the show. It might actually make economic sense to pay Ivan a little extra to do the show single handed, send Claire on a permanent vacation for the rest of her contract and pay her to do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 homert

homert wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the theme music from Culture Shock. Thanks

To answer my own question :

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

The comments, much like Claire herself, were completely out of place on what is supposed to be one of the flagship programmes on a supposedly business-oriented radio station.

from the indo.

Among the offending remarks by Ms Byrne, listed by the BAI, were: "She annoys me. I can't listen to her or watch her. She does my head in."; "The whole thing, she's a freak show, she is a freak."; "But she's not right in the head."; and "Her voice isn't brilliant, it's because she's a freak that she's up there."

She's have been fined and possibly sacked if she'd said that on the BBC morning news (if even that might be OTT for a one off incident).

• Advertisement

Bryne's defence was so brilliantly thought out, its a wonder the BAI didn't fall for it - "the use of the word 'freak' was in relation to the Britain Got Talent show, which Boyle starred in, rather than to Boyle herself."

"She annoys me. I can't listen to her or watch her. She does my head in. The whole thing, she's a freak show, she's a freak...she's not right in the head..its because she's a freak that she's up there.":rolleyes:

Claire is not the brightest, is she.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Among the offending remarks by Ms Byrne, listed by the BAI, were: "She annoys me. I can't listen to her or watch her. She does my head in."; "The whole thing, she's a freak show, she is a freak."; "But she's not right in the head."; and "Her voice isn't brilliant, it's because she's a freak that she's up there."
    Sounds like feedback on Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Newstalk presenter censured for calling Susan Boyle a 'freak'
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0302/1224265431008.html
    In a finding published yesterday the authority said Ms Byrne’s comments were “inherently offensive”, “disrespectful” and “not editorially justified”.Ms Byrne made the remarks on-air when she was speaking to presenter Tom Dunne, who was doing the morning programme that followed on from the Breakfast Show .

The offending item was broadcast on Monday, November 17th, after Jedward had been voted off X-Factor . Boyle had been a guest on the show.While previewing his programme, Dunne and Ivan Yates, Byrne’s co-presenter, both said how good a singer Boyle was.

Byrne disagreed and said: “She annoys me. I can’t listen to her or watch her. She does my head in. The whole thing, she’s a freak show, she’s a freak . . . she’s not right in the head . . . it’s because she’s a freak that she’s up there.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

She's have been fined and possibly sacked if she'd said that on the BBC morning news (if even that might be OTT for a one off incident).

Yeah but, c'mon, They're a million miles from being up with the BBC. The beeb is slick and professional and Newstalk is... well..... not! She ad libbs away in the mornings and most if it is gibberish - no sense to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Newstalk presenter censured for calling Susan Boyle a 'freak'
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0302/1224265431008.html

Ms Byrne on with Mr Dunne - that explaines it for me <snip>

Tom Dunne probably lured her into mis-speaking. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ldee

anyone hear the sports news at 845 this morning?
    the lady presenter (whatever her name is) asked the sports reporter 'how many games have the u21 ireland team gone without winning?'
    Idiot sports reporter: 'I dont know. I dont want to know'

Eh, do ur F***ING job and find out!!! Moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

ldee wrote: »
    anyone hear the sports news at 845 this morning?
    the lady presenter (whatever her name is) asked the sports reporter 'how many games have the u21 ireland team gone without winning?'
    Idiot sports reporter: 'I dont know. I dont want to know'

I didnt hear that but funnily enough at the end of the sports bulletin between 830 and 9 this morning, Ivan Yates casually asks the sports guy "who was that new guy Mulhall playing for Kilkenny yesterday??"

Cue a detailed summary from the sports reporter of young Mulhall's carreer to date with the u21s, supposedly all off the top of his head.

This had to be a set question to make up for the other day, which you picked up on. Pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

Ah here ...............

They get dumped on for NOT knowing enough and now they dumped on for knowing too much !

:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is it true that Dunphy is coming back to newstalk...?if so to what slot..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dub13 wrote: »

The repeat slot

orourkeda wrote: »
    The repeat slot

Well that narrows it down to about nine hours a day!!

It's only when you listen to the likes of BBC Fivelive you realise what a sh1t offering we get from Newstalk.

Dub13 wrote: »

Nothing definite yet, they are in discussions over a possible weekend slot.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/newstalk-offers-weekend-slot-to-lure-dunphy-back-on-air-2091865.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Well that narrows it down to about nine hours a day!!

It's only when you listen to the likes of BBC Fivelive you realise what a sh1t offering we get from Newstalk.

You cannot compare BBC 5Live which is publicly funded and a part of one of the biggest broadcasters in the world (with all of it's resources) to Newstalk which is a privately owned independent station in a small market.

It's chalk and cheese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

ldee wrote: »

Isn't it his job to read the news?

Koloman wrote: »
    You cannot compare BBC 5Live which is publicly funded and a part of one of the biggest broadcasters in the world (with all of it's resources) to Newstalk which is a privately owned independent station in a small market.

It's chalk and cheese!

See, that's the problem. Every radio station that is criticised hides behind this "we can't compete with them 'cos they've more money". You don't need huge resources to produce great radio. Ref the pirates in the 80s - rubbish equipment, not a lot of cash but by far the best radio Ireland ever produced. Newstalk does put out some good stuff but the vast majority is dross and far too much repeats. Creativity doesn't cost a fortune. Innovation and originality comes from talent not money. They made the same mistake as others who thought that by getting a few heads from RTE (Moncrieff, Keane etc)they would produce greatness. In fact their best output is from people with little previous Professional radio experience - Hook, Yates etc...

Another thing with Newstalk on the originality point is that they have tried to copy/match RTEs output (Yates/Byrne v Morning Ireland, Tom Dunne v G. Ryan, Moncrieff v Mooney etc and weekends the same)all day instead of being different and creative and original...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bbor005

Heard on Morning Ireland - Nell McCafferty and Newstalk have been forced to issue an apology for claims McCafferty made about Mary Harney yesterday on the Tom Dunne show.

She basically said Harney was a "roaring alcoholic". Found an audio snippet of it here

Jasus TD was useless during that clip.

McCafferty is usually on Eamons Keanes Friday programme in her rambling review of the week, will she be on today me wonders?

I suspect she may be off the airwaves for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

bbor005 wrote: »
    Heard on Morning Ireland - Nell McCafferty and Newstalk have been forced to issue an apology for claims McCafferty made about Mary Harney yesterday on the Tom Dunne show.

They weren't force to do anything. Dunne apologised immediately afterwards a couple of times, later in the show they read out a more formal one and immediately contacted Harneys PR to apologise and them this morning read out another one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement