Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamon Keane suffers from Dunphy Syndome - you appear to be a bad bastard but are in fact a contrary pussy cat when push comes to shove. No-one is willing to take a real stand as they inhabit the same watering holes.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Excellent post... spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Full marks to the Einstein in Newstalk who thought up the idea of broadcasting Extra Time from a pub in Cork. Maybe they do this a lot but it was my first time listening in. And boy did it make for some Alan Partridge moments :) Between drunks declaring live on air that Eddie O'Sullivan was a bøllocks and the crowd failing to give Will Carling a cheer after a telephone interview, it was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

You mean Extra Time - The Sports Fans Phone In Show?

The only show on Newstalk that plugs the 30c text line more than the Breakfast Show?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

i was listening to that show in the car yesterday. I said they cant be serious they're not going to interview guys live in a pub after the match. I was waiting for alot worse than "b%llocks". The worst part of it was, when after the first guy said b&llocks he asked his buddy the same question and quess what the buddy said....

• Advertisement

If you woke up and forgot it was a public holliday Newstalk helpfully reminded you by not even bothering with a cutdown version of the Breakfast Show. RTE managed to get thier lazy asses out of bed for 8 am.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

seamus wrote: »
    Ger Gilroy reads boards. Hi Ger!

The show used to be much more serious but it's starting to get tabloid now - bringing up relative non-issues and just giving tasters of them without any serious discussion.

They've also started having the hosts doing the ads now, "Yeah Carlton Hotels are fab" aswell as the standard "Sponsored by" jingle. I think they're trying to figure how many ways they can possible generate cash.

They may have taken a leaf out of M O'Leary's book in this regard.. every available space is an advertising opportunity! Unfortunately they are a privately owned company, and must be allowed advertise when they want and in whatever manner they want. That said, it doesn't bode well for the station when the listener feels like they are listening to advertorials all day.

I remember when I was in control of advertising for my previous employer. I met with one of their sales staff and was basicically promised editorial time on two or more programmes should I choose to spend with them... this didn't shock me as we were already courting many Sunday Papers in the same manner. The news you think you're hearing is carefully scripted, but then again, we all knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am really fed up of that woman who announces the sponsor of each individual program. Her voice and over prononciation of everything goes through my head.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

What annoys me about Newstalk(other then the calls for texts) is the way each program ends 5 minutes before its scheduled to, moncreiff regularly ends at 4:25 these days to fit more ads in, only a small issue but bloody annoying.
    Also, I really hope theres noone in Dublin texting in about the traffic in the mornings waste of 30c, just tune over to DCFM.
    Oh and was it DK who orginally did the lunch show with hidden history etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

are they over doing it for a "commercial" radio station??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am hearing adverts for the army of traffic watchers all the time now. Give me a ****ing break. I am slowly getting to the point where I will delete it from the presets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

It's a good station but that Moncrieff wrecks my head. Every text he read's out he has to have the final say. If he agrees with the text he'l add some extra info to show his superior knowledge and if he disagrees he'l make his smug sarcastic toned reply. Listen in any day and hear for yourself. does it more than any DJ I have ever heard in a lot of radio shows in a lot of countries.

The ****e segment he does with the 3 women from all walk's of life reviewing the papers is laughable as well.
    The Old Posh one, The working class Dub sounding one and the Er.. middle class or relative of the crew one? Not sure what her purpose is. Total Muck.

He has some good quirky topics but his smugness and constant patting himself on the back wrecks the show. Could well be in contention for Irelands smuggest public broadcaster.

Eamon Keane's luchtime show is good
    Hookie is a good listen
    Sports show is brillant.

Some other good stuff on that station. One of the best in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Newstalk have a knack for employing presenters who need a right kick up the hole, Claire Byrne, Brenda Power and Eamon Keane. All smug, pretentious annoying little gits just begging for the slap of a wet brick.

Ah now we like Sean here but that Thursday slot after 3 pm is awful as is the Showbiz wan on Mondays. And yes he does like to have the last word does he not?

Mike.

I don't get to hear Moncrieff that often but I do like the guy who comes in to explain words.

What does annoy me is he brings in some woman to discuss the soaps, but they always end up talking about their social lives and never actually discuss the soaps. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I am hearing adverts for the army of traffic watchers all the time now. Give me a ****ing break. I am slowly getting to the point where I will delete it from the presets.
    Same here. Its virtually intolerable to listen to all the ad breaks and then have the presenters constantly begging for texts to get the 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah now we like Sean here but that Thursday slot after 3 pm is awful as is the Showbiz wan on Mondays.

Have to confess i do enjoy the kids talk section, well, at least the first few minutes of it, then it gets a little stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

GinnyJo wrote: »
    ]Oh and was it DK who orginally did the lunch show with hidden history etc?

It was Declan Carty who did the hidden history show with an historian on city edition before it went national, was an alright show. And Damien Kiberd did lunchtime and was a lot better than Eamon 'exclusive to newstalk' Keane.

I wish it had stayed as it was, wasn't packed full of so much sponsorship. One of the only shows which is the same as before, Off the Ball, is still the best programme they have. And although it also has increased sponsorship, they always do it in a very sarcastic and funny manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Its the repeditive ads that drive me mad, woken up every morning this week to "1,2,3.ie, just log on to save moneeee"
    Aaaagghhh.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darondo

themont85 wrote: »
    One of the only shows which is the same as before, Off the Ball, is still the best programme they have. And although it also has increased sponsorship, they always do it in a very sarcastic and funny manner.

Yeah, the guys on Off the Ball take the piss out of some of their competition sponsors half the time. I don't get a chance to listen to much of the rest of the Newstalk schedule, but I rarely miss OTB. While they do acknowledge & thank the sponsors of the various segments, they never let it get in the way of the subject of the show itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't listen to Newstalk regularly but I listened to Moncrief yesterday and found that there was very little content. It was mainly ads and the same news bulletins every half hour. The Movies and Booze part was strange because the ads got more airtime than the segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

Was good to hear someone on Friday to tx in to that Muppet Moncrieff and tell him stop interrupting the guy who was talking in the films/booze section.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Delighted to find I'm not alone. I loved newstalk at first - it was so different - all those lengthy in depth interviews by Eamo. Intelligent and thought provoking. Gilroy wasn't too bad when he stood in for Eamo but now????? The morning show drives me (literally) to distraction - or even to Radio 4 or Lyric - anything to get away from the ads and the coy and cringe making bandinage!

Hook's formula is tired and routine. I still like Moncrieff and OTB is the best thing on radio. But that Claire Byrne.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

People actually like Off the Ball :confused:

I find it pretty bad to be honest, I mean they have some really good guests on it from time to timer but their own presenters are appalling.

That Ken Early on the football show is just terrible, he reads a few fans forums during the day for some gossip/bull s**t and then tries to pass it off as either fact or a story he is breaking.

The biggest problem I have with the show is that too many times when commenting on things they confuse fact and opinion. It is at its best an average show, it only looks good due to there being almost no competitor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I thought some of their coverage of Bertie's press conference sounded like they were holding a phone up to crappy laptop speakers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I thought some of their coverage of Bertie's press conference sounded like they were holding a phone up to crappy laptop speakers...

Well it definitely was just some guy holding up a phone because at one point he mashed a few buttons and you could hear the beeps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yea it was dreadfull....sure there HQ is only around the corner surly someone could have got there hands on a decent Mic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭rasoul

in fairness, journalists were only told at 9:22, that bertie was gonna say something at 10 am, not alot of time to get to government buildings, never mind get a microphone

rasoul wrote: »
    in fairness, journalists were only told at 9:22, that bertie was gonna say something at 10 am, not alot of time to get to government buildings, never mind get a microphone

Everyone else seemed to manage it...

• Advertisement

Whats with the repeat of Down to Business on Sunday mornings? At about 8.50 it just stops - dead. This morning was particuarly bad, the dicsussion was cut off mid-sentence. A moments silence followed and then a jingle and that flippping Kids Talk thing from Moncreiffs show thrown in (as per usual) to 'fill the gap' which Newstalk created by taking shears to its finance programme in the first place. Grrrrrrr.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement