Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Perhaps it wouldn't grate as much if they didn't keep mentioning it cost 30c.

Unfortunately, they have to mention the cost of the text under Regtel rules...so maybe a change to free text or a standard text rate number would be the better option?

Agree with Mike65, the show does sound better with Byrne on her own. As I've said before, Ger only seems to light up when he is doing sports-related interviews. Listen to him when he is doing something he has no interest in...he 'sings' his links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Stephen wrote: »
    Got to agree with everyone else here, the constant pimping of the poxy 30c texts pisses me off big time. I find myself switching over to my MP3 player more and more.

Same here it's really irritating,it's really miserly,they're like the chuggers you meet in the street.

I don't know how many texts they get but even say 100 an hour would hardly net them 20 quid once the telecos take their cut...are they going to spoil it for that much ?

Well done Mike on the breakdown.

Nice to see a Newstalk employee join the thread too :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The morning show being in radio peak time is probably one of their advertising cash cows. They need to keep dragging in the money to keep denis o'brien rich.

DOB is not making money with NT, in fact he's sunk millions into it and its still a "loss leader". Just how far he is prepared to go with that fiscal disaster is anyones quess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Big Tone wrote: »
    DOB is not making money with NT, in fact he's sunk millions into it and its still a "loss leader". Just how far he is prepared to go with that fiscal disaster is anyones quess.
    If he can turn it into tabloid talk radio, he could be onto a winner. Think about the Adrian Kennedy phone show, 14 hours a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Imagine working with a babe like claire byrne every morning.Jammy git gilroy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

seamus wrote: »
    If he can turn it into tabloid talk radio, he could be onto a winner. Think about the Adrian Kennedy phone show, 14 hours a day.

Dear god no.....would they go for that kind of stuff outside 'the big smoke'...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Dub13 wrote: »
    Dear god no.....would they go for that kind of stuff outside 'the big smoke'...?

Of course they would, there are idiots everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    The only show worth listening to is Moncreif .

I like Down to business with Damien Kiberd, thats a very interesting show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

I am also a little annoyed about the texts, the price and frequency of pimping. I used to listen about 3 years ago and would send about 3-4 FREE emails per morning, pretty much everyone of them was read out, also won 2 prizes.
    Then i guess about a year ago absolutely no emails were read out but my texts were, recently i might send 3 texts a day, somedays none get read out (some of them are hilarious messages that dont get shared). Think i will stop and tighten the financial belt for the storm ahead.

Will still listen to Brendas show, she is really fecking with the HSE press guy Alex Connely (apparently earning over 100,000 euro) who is hiding like a 4year old under his expensive HSE desk.
    Garry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

Greenman wrote: »
    I like Down to business with Damien Kiberd, thats a very interesting show.

love that show, pity he is no longer on mon-fri, he has an excellent radio voice. Not my type by the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damien Kiberd is the unsung hero of Newstalk, whenever someone is off on holliers, he will stand in and improve the slot - his stint on breakfast last August/Sept was exellent as he is on Lunchtime when called for while doing his own Saturday business digest which is the best of the three such progs on the radio (RTEs comes last).

Mike.

ps he is not my dad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Good stuff on the breakdown there as well Mike.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Damien Kiberd is the unsung hero of Newstalk,

QFT.

He was outstanding as a regular presenter at lunchtime, when I used to listen to Newstalk quite a lot. But not any more. Off The Ball might be listened to on occasion, yet everything else is a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I like Down to Business with Kiberd, but when he was doing Lunchtime he could get quite irritating. His attempted lame jokes were a bit tedious, particularly when he tried to make one without knowing what he was on about. Made for a cringefest at times.

I used to enjoy Eamonn Keane, but find his "sketches" and "re-enactments" a little tedious and have to switch off, his attempted accents are dire.

Love Off the Ball and the Saturday and Sunday sports show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

I love the station. Granted there are bits that annoy me at times and that I try and avoid but you can't have it all good. Favourites would be the morning show, off the ball, monchrief, talking history and all the sport at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

What annoys me is the updates on the business on breakfast show and Right Hook. Claire "Conor, whats the latest from the ISEQ" Conor " Up 3points or .05%". Anyone who needs to know the latest movements from any stock market or business news will have access to such data on a computer or mobile device. They should only have in depth original business stories/analysis, its good when the have good economic commentators like Alan Ahern, Jim Power etc on doing a longish piece.

RTE radio one do business much better anyway so I dont see point filling limited time with unneccssary updates and short uninformitive interviews with CEOs etc

Forget what I said about the only thing worth listening to is Moncreif. I don't know how I forgot this but newstalk on the weekend is much, much better than weekdays. And, perhaps it's just my imagination, but there are less 'text us for 30c' pleas.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

RadioFeed was a Newstalk shill.

The following are also people who have posted from the same location...

120_Minutes
    Andrew 83
    bango1
    bill_haverchuk
    blairgar
    bonkers
    Butros
    Cats111
    Cookpasbabtridg
    daisyplant
    diego
    Dudess
    HelenRadio
    MissyC
    mittens
    newstalk
    Phelim 3:16
    radiofeed
    RadioGirl
    silvine
    thefuturehead
    YourCall
    Zipper

DeV.

That's an awful lot of shills (Except Dudess of course ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

DeVore wrote: »
    RadioFeed was a Newstalk shill.

The following are also people who have posted from the same location...

Andrew 83
    Dudess
    Boyfriend of Showbiz mod and AH mod in Newstalk shill shocker??!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Ibid wrote: »
    Boyfriend of Showbiz mod and AH mod in Newstalk shill shocker??!
    Omg, my man is a shill? He was just using me to get to boards?

/cries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Well he certainly isn't with you for your personality.

It must be my wit, my brains and legs that go all the way down to the floor, my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:( I can explain!

I did freelance work on and off in NewsTalk last year. Stargal, presume your bloke works/worked there too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Radiofeed a Newstalk shill? Well knock me down with a feather duster.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! Dudess, naughty naughty ;)

Well done on 6000 posts btw :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why thank you! Coming from you, Mike (second only to Victor in the post count stakes) that is indeed a compliment ;).

No shill, no shill! I only posted from that computer... :(

Dudess wrote: »
    :( I can explain!

I did freelance work on and off in NewsTalk last year. Stargal, presume your bloke works/worked there too?
    Yep, exactly the same thing, he was a freelance researcher there for a while last year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

And we're done.

Could we all please go back to discussing Newstalk as a station as opposed to who is and who is not a Newstalk shill.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Why is there a "t" in front of your nick??

Should it not be Subh Dearg ...IMO the t only goes in when it's "An tSubh Dearg"

Just wondering??

meanwhile back on topic....

Yes... keep the discussion to newstalk and stay away from accusations of shills.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To conclude. I named RadioFeed as a shill, the others I pointed out posted from that location. Not necessaraily shills, everyone has to work somewhere and will probably be interested in the topic their job involves. The difference is pretending you DONT work there. I felt this conversation would benefit from that list and the information about Radiofeed.
    Lets not get off on a shill-hunt, back on topic pls.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

jumping in on the topic/

As annoying as the '30c pleas' are, Newstalk is still the insomniac's friend. But....the constant 'different station/different nation...' ads that they repeat all night are annoying. So, any Newstalk staff reading this - could you do up a few new ads? Thks.

I wonder if the producer for the Eamonn Keane lunch time show have a tight hold over him or he really is all over the place when interviewing politicans. He seems to be going in for the kill, really pressing the politico on whatever issue....then out of nowhere it's all 'ah, yes, minister, sure we've talked about this in the past with all the hard work you've done on it' and whooosh, move on to chit chat about the minister's holiday plans. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement