Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The nineteen year old Buddist Rastafarian Tactical Special Ops Exorcist?

probably just wanted to swear on the radio, and managed it too.

working away today listening to the radio, and the ad for gaze comes on, which got me thinking, imagine the employment tribunal hearing if newstalk ever tried to fire Dil.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Given that Sean said he was courting attention makes it harder to believe what he was saying but he was entertaining though.

That first film review was pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Got a good laugh from Chris this morning.

Ivan: Well you don't even have friends, never mind lovers.

Chris: That's because I'm so selfish. In bed.

Also couple that with the comment by the lady who does quote of the week and it be more funny.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

NT has a couple of extremely irritating sport commentator style ads every three seconds at the moment.

Like, every single ad break there's the ref walking off with his euro to get his telly channels ("We haven't seen that before! Ha, ha!"), the sport physio one (it's the big match, and your team is counting on YOU!), and the crappy horse racing one (although i think this may be finished or at least will be soon).

This!

I've always found NT to be one of the worst for repetition of ads. That ref with his euro is doing my head in in the mornings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Jonathan Healy interviewing people about the prospect of there being no
    mention of suicide on the short form of a death cert in the future. This move by
    Joan Burton is a compassionate one, in my opinion. Knowing a family member
    has died by suicide is difficult enough; it will be recorded by the coroner as such,
    but, seeing it coldly written down on the death cert is excruciatingly painful for many
    family members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Simon Coveney was flummoxed when Ivan started questioning him about the lumpy milk this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got a laugh of of that .

i thought it was just happening to me. :D

c'mon simon, what ya gonna do about my milk going off 3 days before its meant ta !

:D:D:D

Simon Coveney was flummoxed when Ivan started questioning him about the lumpy milk this morning :D

Ivan is right about the milk. I had to bin some yesterday even though it
    should have been OK until tomorrow. Took Chris's granny's advice with
    the carton I bought today - placed it IN the fridge, not on the door shelf!! :)

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Ivan is right about the milk. I had to bin some yesterday even though it
    should have been OK until tomorrow. Took Chris's granny's advice with
    the carton I bought today - placed it IN the fridge, not on the door shelf!! :)

Lidl is yer only man. I've never had that trouble with my Lidl milk, but I used to have it with Supervalu milk.

Lidl is yer only man. I've never had that trouble with my Lidl milk, but I used to have it with Supervalu milk.

I buy my milk in Lidl!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Any idea why there's no podcast of the Marc Coleman Show on Itunes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

uhh huuh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Any idea why there's no podcast of the Marc Coleman Show on Itunes??

Apple has a strict quality standards policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

I'd say give them a few more days. Newstalk's technical department often take their time updating their podcasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Think the quality of the reception in the the south east of Munster is poor at times, goes static at random.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Yates is off for 2 weeks holidays so it's Shane Bloody Coleman as stand in.
    I'm less than pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

I think Yates interviewing style can be a bit tiresome at times. So on that basis I won't miss him. In saying that he and Chris Donoghue do have good on air chemistry and it shows. I think at the last count they had something like 174,000 listeners. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong. Shane Coleman is a good presenter and he seems very capable at handling political interviews in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Coleman is far preferable to Yates who is becoming increasingly annoying in his "play dumb" style when it comes to anything resembling current pop culture. Its not that he doesn't know its how he plays it.

There was a discussion about Kim Kardashian a few weeks ago and he pretended to not know who she is and kept asking Chris Donoghue why is she famous. I find it hard to believe he never heard of her and the way he pursued the question smacked of far too much effort.

I do not likle his chemistry with Chris either. I think he can be quite belittling and smarmy towards him. I know this is his "banter" style, but it has as much substance as the word itself.

And his "bit of craic" with Phil Thompson is plain awful.

That said, I still listen every morning. More fool me I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

gimmick wrote: »
    Coleman is far preferable to Yates who is becoming increasingly annoying in his "play dumb" style when it comes to anything resembling current pop culture. Its not that he doesn't know its how he plays it.

There was a discussion about Kim Kardashian a few weeks ago and he pretended to not know who she is and kept asking Chris Donoghue why is she famous. I find it hard to believe he never heard of her and the way he pursued the question smacked of far too much effort.

I do not likle his chemistry with Chris either. I think he can be quite belittling and smarmy towards him. I know this is his "banter" style, but it has as much substance as the word itself.

And his "bit of craic" with Phil Thompson is plain awful.

That said, I still listen every morning. More fool me I guess :)

He mightn't be to your taste, but Ivan is the reason the Breakfast Show is now the most listened programme on the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Hard to believe a 50+ man in Ireland doesn't know the reason why Kim Whatsherface is famous? Not really!! I've no clue for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

gimmick wrote: »

There was a discussion about Kim Kardashian a few weeks ago and he pretended to not know who she is and kept asking Chris Donoghue why is she famous.

You've a gripe because someone hasn't a clue as to why Kim Kardashian is famous? I have zero, zilch and no idea why she is famous. None. I know she is famous, but why?? Nope, no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

You've a gripe because someone hasn't a clue as to why Kim Kardashian is famous? I have zero, zilch and no idea why she is famous. None. I know she is famous, but why?? Nope, no idea.

Her father was OJ's lawyer
    I'm sure she dined out on the back of this until she realised no one really cared and so therefore went on to make and distribute an average sex tape!
    Bagged herself a reality show on the back of that

PS I still definitely would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Her father was OJ's lawyer
    I'm sure she dined out on the back of this until she realised no one really cared and so therefore went on to make and distribute an average sex tape!
    Bagged herself a reality show on the back of that

PS I still definitely would!

Ooohh. That explains it so. Ivan should of asked who cared why she is famous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No, you missed my point. He claimed to have never even heard of her in a very fake way I felt. Like he was trying to seem too good to know. Then his follow ups just seemed very forced.

FFS, he was on some TV3 show lately and the question was "complete the movie title

Leaving.........
    a. Las Vegas
    b. Las Palmas
    c. Leitrim

he answered Las Palmas. Again I felt it was forced to make him seem this folksy person who doesn't know pop culture.

It might just be me. I think he is a terrible presenter and prefer the show when he is away.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Like him or not, he's bringing in the punters, money talks.
    I'd also heard he's expected to take over the Right Hook in 13 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ivan would take it over? If so great news I like listening to him. Also if he's bad because he doesn't know pop culture what about George lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Ivan Yeats is one of the best presenters in Newstalk. He takes the piss out of Chris because Chris is truly awful, no idea about business, can't interview politicians, no strength in his interviews. Ivan will take over from George without doubt.

Caledonman wrote: »
    Ivan Yeats is one of the best presenters in Newstalk. He takes the piss out of Chris because Chris is truly awful, no idea about business, can't interview politicians, no strength in his interviews. Ivan will take over from George without doubt.

Ivan and Chris are a great double act. The Breakfast Show is never the same when either one of them is on holidays. Coleman is sending me to sleep these mornings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That annoying doctor is back on The Right Hook :mad:

• Advertisement

That annoying doctor is back on The Right Hook :mad:

McIntyre is twice as annoying. He's never heard of Sissy Spacek, FFS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement