Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't listed to Ger & Claire anymore,nor do I listen to Hook way to many ads on both and to much personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Yeah, same here. Haven't listened to Ger & Claire in weeks now. Morning Ireland all the way.

Evenings, flick between all three - Radio 1, Today FM and Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fattyfatfat

fivetwenty wrote: »
    Tom Dunne gets on my nerves.

I bought these boots the other day . . .

The jacket I'm wearing is a polo-neck . . .

On the way to work I saw a cue? Text in what you think they were cueing for! . . .

Text in bad jokes . . .

Granny radio at it's finest right there.:mad:

On the other hand, Moncrieff & Off The Ball are quality.

Gotta agree with the moncrieff and OTB bit, read a lot of the books both shows recommend, reall cool library in the making, love Moncreiff's philosophy slot and for someone who despises the celebrity cult some of the off the cuff comments when the thursday ladies look through the tabloids is hilarious, movies & booze, wednesday rugby murphs coun.......

Twice this evening on news bulletins on Newstalk (during Hook's show), the news reader called Eamon Ryan the Minister for Finance.

Grrrrrrr

Also there was a soundbyte following an "exclusive" interview with Eamon Keane. Is there a quota Newstalk have to reach with the word "exclusive" tied to Eamon Keane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its not exclusive to Eamon Keane it hasn't happened.

• Advertisement

I will now listen to the first 30 min of the Breakfast show and then turn on Morrning Ireland,much much better real news for growing ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I find the first 30 minutes of forced banter unbearable. The "News" part of the stations name is becoming less relevant by the day.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I find the first 30 minutes of forced banter unbearable. The "News" part of the stations name is becoming less relevant by the day.

I agree but there is nothing else on at that time of the morrning,I am sure the thinking was if we start 30 min before most of our rivals listeners will stay with us.Well we would if the show was better much better and not as fast.

David McWilliams and Dunphy did a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Small annoyance but the woman that reads the news at various times (Kirsteen?) bugs me. Her general reading isnt great an then she reads the temperature at the end of the weather as "ranging from between 10 to 13 degrees" It just sounds wrong. Either use and or leave out between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Not sure why The Emergency thread was closed - seems a bit funny.

Anyway, just to echo some of the comments in there. It's not very good at all, is it? The impressions are woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Stekelly wrote: »
    Small annoyance but the woman that reads the news at various times (Kirsteen?) bugs me. Her general reading isnt great an then she reads the temperature at the end of the weather as "ranging from between 10 to 13 degrees" It just sounds wrong. Either use and or leave out between.

That Kirsteen woman's voice gets on my wick. Is it supposed to be an attempt to sound husky and sexy or something?

I quite like her accent actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

mike65 wrote: »
    If its not exclusive to Eamon Keane it hasn't happened.

Very true. He seems to think we get our news only from his programme. He says things like "we told you about the story here yesterday on Lunchtime here on Newstalk that Bertie Ahern resigned" or something like that. As if his programme is the only radio programme on air.

Big thing about his programme is that his introduction to items almost covers all the subsequent possible questions...you get the impression the respondents are confused about what to say because he has answered the question while asking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Splanc is a good general programme in Irish - It is a pity radio 1 or the awful 2fm can't do something similar.

Ger + Claire are good. Morning Ireland does not have quality. Its stories are drawn out.

5 Live is far superior for international news than Morning Ireland.

Morning Ireland has 5 minutes of business news. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Cork wrote: »
    (1)Ger + Claire are good. Morning Ireland does not have quality. Its stories are drawn out.

(2)5 Live is far superior for international news than Morning Ireland.

(3)Morning Ireland has 5 minutes of business news. What a joke.

RE 1 - :confused: I suppose has to love them.

RE 2 - I try to listen them both at the same time as well. :rolleyes:

RE 3 - Would you believe it :eek: - some people actually like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Splanc is a good general programme in Irish - It is a pity radio 1 or the awful 2fm can't do something similar.

Ger + Claire are good. Morning Ireland does not have quality. Its stories are drawn out.

5 Live is far superior for international news than Morning Ireland.

Exactly. Radio 1 should have something similar to 5 live's, Wake Up To Money in the morning. A whole half hour of business news!

As RTE employees are semi-state workers then they probably have no interest in what is going on in the real business world anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Just to be pedantic, Morning Ireland have business news from around 7.10-7.15 and also from 7.50 onwards for a further 5 minutes. It's not clear from your post whether you're complaining that they have too much business news or too little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:eek:

That has p*ssed me off FOR AGES!!!!!!!! I actually came here to post just that complaint :D Glad I'm not the only one who nearly crashes the car when I hear that sh*t

The good news is I have now officially given up on Newstalk, and listen to RTE in the mornings :) Much better. I occassionally tune into Moncrieff, but the number of ads is just so frustrating! Sometimes I turn on Newstalk 'just to see whats on', and there is nearly always an ad, just to vindicate my decision to go to RTE.

This morning in a moment of weakness I switched on again and Ger and Claire were talking to some boxing promoter about a proposed fight between Bernard Dunne and Paul O'Connell (I presume the Breakfast Show got this idea from the thread in After Hours). An April Fools' joke.

It was hard to drive the car whilst trying to hold in the guts that were falling through my splitting sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Dave! wrote: »

This morning in a moment of weakness I switched on again and Ger and Claire were talking to some boxing promoter about a proposed fight between Bernard Dunne and Paul O'Connell (I presume the Breakfast Show got this idea from the thread in After Hours). An April Fools' joke.

It was hard to drive the car whilst trying to hold in the guts that were falling through my splitting sides.

This was a really pathetic attempt at an April Fool's joke; had me going for all of 0.00000001 of a second. You'd think they'd come up with something a bit more imaginative, and it was so drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Has anyone else noticed that when Ivan Yates is on he is always flirting with Kirsteen! He says "We now go over to the news read by the delicable Kirsteen or the gorgeous Kirsteen or the beautiful Kirsteen" etc...! Calm down Ivan!biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Wester wrote: »
    This was a really pathetic attempt at an April Fool's joke; had me going for all of 0.00000001 of a second. You'd think they'd come up with something a bit more imaginative, and it was so drawn out.

Yeah it was a silly prank. Moncrief had a story about the budget next week and a sewerage tax. It was actually very funny even though you knew it was an April Fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Fauldy Banny

Anybody else think that Clair Byrne is starting to sound like Ger? The show is gone to the dogs completely and that excuse for comedy "The emergency" is really bad, how they get away with I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

ateam wrote: »
    Yeah it was a silly prank. Moncrief had a story about the budget next week and a sewerage tax. It was actually very funny even though you knew it was an April Fool.

All of Moncrief's stories were April fool jokes. I just caught the Chocolate bar for lefties and the American author talking about his book on a guy who became a famous wheelchair table tennis player but was disqualified because they found out he had cut off his legs to understand what it would be like to be disabled. Completely ludicrous but very funny! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I love the Moncrief show.

Brilliant radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Moncrieff's joke stories were quite good.. I liked the parenting slot conundrums such as 'what can I do about my daughter's friends all being so ugly?', and the one about the 'gifted child' who could suck a pea in through one nostril and shoot it out the other one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

Listened to the breakfast show for the first time in a few weeks this morning, maybe I missed something but the 1st half hr consisted largely of Claire and Ger's 'banter' - didn't hear anyone else apart from the sports guy and business correspondent. Oh, and lots and lots of long ad breaks. Then caught a lot of the next hour which had a few quick snatched interviews but again lots of banter. Then I switched to the ipod. It must be the cheapest program to make, scarcely any contributors other than Newstalk staff. At least I now know Claire and Ger's view on practically everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Dave! wrote: »

That has p*ssed me off FOR AGES!!!!!!!! I actually came here to post just that complaint :D Glad I'm not the only one who nearly crashes the car when I hear that sh*t

The good news is I have now officially given up on Newstalk, and listen to RTE in the mornings :) Much better. I occassionally tune into Moncrieff, but the number of ads is just so frustrating! Sometimes I turn on Newstalk 'just to see whats on', and there is nearly always an ad, just to vindicate my decision to go to RTE.

was the some promomter not Brian Peters?Bernards actual promoter?

Also it was an april fools joke not the end of the world.The show is now being attacked for having a bad april fool prank,how fcuking dare they:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

The "irreverant" Eamon Keane almost led me to smash the car radio to bits yesterday

He had a panel in for a pre budget dicusccion

Talking about the economy he came up with the H-H-H-HILLARIOUS gag of renaming Ireland "The SS Titanic"

After realising he was on to comedy gold, like any true wit he flogged the joke to death, calling his guests " Deckhand Jim Power", or " First Mate so and so"

They shoot horses, don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 johnew

Sorry for not reading all 46 pages of this thread :p
    Regarding advertisements on radio stations, here in australia there are those stations who advertise very frequently - and some that do not - generally the more 'top 100' or 'recent hits' style the station is, the more ads.
    One of our stations has implemented an 'ad free 50' which is basically 50 minutes of songs without any ads, followed by ten minutes for ads/updates etc. throughout the day. Do any of the other radio stations in other countries do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

giftgrub wrote: »
    Talking about the economy he came up with the H-H-H-HILLARIOUS gag of renaming Ireland "The SS Titanic"

After realising he was on to comedy gold, like any true wit he flogged the joke to death, calling his guests " Deckhand Jim Power", or " First Mate so and so"

Eamon Keane's sense of humour is a mystery to everyone but Eamon Keane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement