Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Claire today after the 7am news, cheerfully announces " If there are any worried SR Technics workers on the way to the meeting please text us (on this permium rate textline), we would love to hear from you." - ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

2 things

First it looks like Eamon Keane will be around for a while longer.... he went up in the listership figures yesterday

And on the issue of Claire's text appeals, i was listening to the repeat last night, and shwe was rattling on about some interview with Joaquin Phoneix

"we want to hear what you think is the worst TV interview ever?"

text us....

For the Love of God

Imagine if Aine Lawlor said that? I think i'd crash the car

Morning Ireland have it right, dont get the listeners involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Today Clare was admonishing (in a jokey fashion) the business ed for NOT having a dishwasher! How out of touch is this woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Did she ask people to text in voting if he should buy a dishwasher or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

mike65 wrote: »
    Today Clare was admonishing (in a jokey fashion) the business ed for NOT having a dishwasher! How out of touch is this woman?

who doesnt have a dishwasher:D its a recession not the apocalypse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

giftgrub wrote: »
    2 things

First it looks like Eamon Keane will be around for a while longer.... he went up in the listership figures yesterday

Oh Christ:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mazza

Did I imagine it or did one of the interviewees in the hurling item on Off The Ball on NewsTalk last night use the following phrase in passing on-air?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_in_the_woodpile

Man, I haven't heard that used in years!

Edit: the stars represent a six letter racially abusive word beginning with 'N' and ending in 'R'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

They always seem to say that they're getting a lot of texts about such and such a thing. You just know, they've got about 4 texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

I've read people here banging on about the lack of depth in covering topics on the morning show but this took the biscuit. From 6.30 - 7.30 they teased us by played tiny clips of the Lance Armstrong rant at Paul Kimmage and promising to bring it to us later. Then, at 7.30 they play an "extended" clip about twice the length of the teaser of the Lance Armstrong rant before bringing on Paul Kimmage to discuss it. Ger Gilroy asked him one question to which Kimmage spoke for about 45 secs. Then Gilroy says "and one final question" to end the chat. My god, if you can't dedicate enough time to discuss an issue in depth don't bother with it............absolute tripe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

indenial wrote: »
    I've read people here banging on about the lack of depth in covering topics on the morning show but this took the biscuit. From 6.30 - 7.30 they teased us by played tiny clips of the Lance Armstrong rant at Paul Kimmage and promising to bring it to us later. Then, at 7.30 they play an "extended" clip about twice the length of the teaser of the Lance Armstrong rant before bringing on Paul Kimmage to discuss it. Ger Gilroy asked him one question to which Kimmage spoke for about 45 secs. Then Gilroy says "and one final question" to end the chat. My god, if you can't dedicate enough time to discuss an issue in depth don't bother with it............absolute tripe.

I stopped listing to the show because of things like this,its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭timbel

mazza wrote: »
    Did I imagine it or did one of the interviewees in the hurling item on Off The Ball on NewsTalk last night use the following phrase in passing on-air?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_in_the_woodpile

Man, I haven't heard that used in years!

Edit: the stars represent a six letter racially abusive word beginning with 'N' and ending in 'R'!

I heard that too, but i have never heard that saying, so wasn't sure.
    The presenter seemed a bit surprised/stuttery after it though, so it must have been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

i like newstalk
    and the breakfast show, they get to things quickly and get to the point quickly unlike rte radio who will bring you a full report on a story and then go to the phone to a reporter who is going to tell you the exact same details in a different way and then to someone who is an exepert on the area the story is in.

and i love claire byrne, when they're interviewing ministers she really grills them and rattles the answers out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Text us at 53*** if you agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

personally if i want a bit of light hearted stuff and non forced interaction with the sports guy i plump for Newstalk.
    If its a big story i usually go with Rte and morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

raven136 wrote: »
    personally if i want a bit of light hearted stuff and non forced interaction with the sports guy i plump for Newstalk.
    If its a big story i usually go with Rte and morning Ireland.

Yeah but it's Newstalk. We expect news. Not light-hearted fluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 老大

Just found this thread on newstalk and even though i like the station.. have to say the appeals for texts on the breakfast show is dreadful.

I mailed them to reduce the cost of them...didnt get a reply!

Agree that Claire Byrne is a bit loopy some times.. but still i would jump her bones! ;)

老大 wrote: »
    .. but still i would jump her bones! ;)

That was fine on TV3 when you could press the mute button - doesn't quite work on radio.

Eamon Keane now on 4 hours a day. Jebus.

Two State Transport Company's announced a strike today and not a word about it on the Right Hook nothing not a thing,a total joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

Dub13 wrote: »
    Two State Transport Company's announced a strike today and not a word about it on the Right Hook nothing not a thing,a total joke.

to be fair they probably had the show planned out for that day before the news about the strikes coming out.

• Advertisement

pfk-0p wrote: »
    to be fair they probably had the show planned out for that day before the news about the strikes coming out.

Newstalk makes a big deal of the fact that they are the station people should turn to for breaking news. I think they could have squeezed something in.

I think it was mentioned in the news bulletins though.

pfk-0p wrote: »

If a station called Newstalk can not fit in some breaking news that will effect hundreds of thousands of people then they are useless in my mind.Yes it was a headline on there news bulletins but did not deserve a mention on there flagship show.They were talking about the sequence kinds are born in for a good 20 min...!

Also the fit it in on the Last word.

I am finished with the Right hook,I will podcast Michael Graham but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Dub13 wrote: »

George's father worked for CIE so that might be a reason he goes soft on them. He seems especially pally with Barry Kenny from Irish Rail for example.

Koloman wrote: »
    George's father worked for CIE so that might be a reason he goes soft on them. He seems especially pally with Barry Kenny from Irish Rail for example.

I am not talking about him been pro/anti ether side,just mention the story it was a big story that day and not a word about it on the right hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I wonder have the Newstalk managment seen this thread, because they seem keen to bludgon on with their 30c texts and Lowest common denominator radio. Their ratings are still so so for a service that requires large amounts of cash to fund itself.

Eamon Keane took about 5 minutes to introduce the first item on his programme today. My god he tries to simplify the topic but actually just makes it more confusing. He left no time to speak to his guests. Senseless interviewer.

Eamon Keanes got a little helper.

Really? Whose that then?

Dunno who she is, haven't been listening close enough. She was reading out texts, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

mike65 wrote: »
    Dunno who she is, haven't been listening close enough. She was reading out texts, etc.

She's some kind of reporter, i think she could have been the one who went "undercover" into a psychiatric hospital with a knife in her bag. Got NT into trouble with the BCC

http://www.bcc.ie/decisions/oct_08_decisions.html

This text thing seems to be new, a lot of them were of the "Eamon you're so right" variety

I think i listen to Lunchtime to anger myself....before Sean O'Rourke comes on

Another thing i've noticed is that EK, when theres guests in the studio, will give them his big theory abour De Recession or De Economy, or De Dail and then ask them what they think of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement