Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Dude"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

There's nothing wrong with dude, I use it a fair bit when I'm with friends.

HOW AND EVER, saying "dude" with a country accent sounds retarded, as does saying it with a thick Dublin accent. No offense bog folk, but you should stick to your rural terms such as "a chara".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Likewise, saying it with any Irish/Non American accent sounds dumb.

"Naaaaw, lets wrangle up some beef on the hoof, Dudes! Yee-hawww!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Well its far better than being called "Horse" thats for sure....spend a few weeks in the sticks and you will rather be called a "Dude" instead of a relation to Shergar...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah I'd usually say it a fair few times.

Good word.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I picked it up in the early 90's while overdosing on Beavis and Butthead. It stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I have a housemate that poeple always thing is like the dude. :)
    Yiiiikkkkeeesss, what the hell happened you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i reckon we should substitute the word "dude" with "vagina" in every day life.

next time anyone feels like sayin "dude", ya know what to do*....

*dont worry, its 100% tailored for the office environment, as well as schools and churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I use Dude all the time, even I have to admit I really should stop. Sometimes I use it when referring to girls as well
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I use "dude" when I'm trying to show that I'm not being serious. The only time I hear it is from Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

forbesii wrote: »
    I'm sick of people on boards using "dude" in their posts. Somebody will say something and somebody else will reply by saying: "Dude your completely wrong" or "Dude we heard that last week". Is this a new phenomenon? Do the Dudesters use this word in real life? Has the Southern Californication of Ireland finally been completed? I'm sure the next few posts will start with "Dude".

the word has been around for decades, so hardly a new fangled foreign expression....

and yes, i use the word in real life.

if you're sick of reading it, then why don't you stop reading. or perhaps we should all adopt something thats more to your liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

The Dude abides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

A dude is a horse's penis.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Drift wrote: »
    A dude is a horse's penis.
    That is all.

Sound, so I should now be able to say:

"My dude is itchy"
    "I need to tuck my dude into my sock"
    "I need to get some cream for that red rash on my dude".
    "My dudes got a semi"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nialinho

Ive only started to use it since i came to oz(been here over a year now). But i only use it when referring to guys whose name I dont know. i.e. "that dude over there just fell over" or "do you know x's friend , the kiwi dude"
    Also say "no worries" a lot since i been here but its always felt forced saying "mate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

the word has been around for decades, so hardly a new fangled foreign expression....

and yes, i use the word in real life.

if you're sick of reading it, then why don't you stop reading. or perhaps we should all adopt something thats more to your liking.

relax dude, stop taking yourself so seriously.

do shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I say dude

not online though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

OP, i cant say i share your dislike for the word dude.. or mate..

"Bud".. theres one im not a fan of.. "staaaarry bud"

im gald you deleted that post.
    it was truely awful. even by your fairly low standards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

?

Dude isn't the worst. Bud, however. Bud needs to die a quick death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Dude = Camel's penis.

I don't mind people using it, aslong as they can pull it off! People who use it to be 'bodacious' shouldn't get away with it any longer!

Ive actually reported your post. DeVore requested you to stop baiting, yet you continue.

:rolleyes:

snyper wrote: »
    Ive actually reported your post. DeVore requested you to stop baiting, yet you continue.

:rolleyes:

do shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I remember being told a dude was a wart on an elephants arse

do shut up.

Only if you shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The dude abides...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭lolipops

''thats like totally awesome dude''

i have never heard any of my friends say dude before... except when we do simpson impressions... which is like all the time lol

but our english becoming more and more american-ised, people say i sound american:( id rather sound like a knacker with an acorn shoved up their @$$ then an american.

i blame television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

snyper wrote: »
    OP, i cant say i share your dislike for the word dude.. or mate..

"Bud".. theres one im not a fan of.. "staaaarry bud"

i never said i had a problem with the word "mate". its moreso people using "dude" in posts. e.g. "Dude you are so not cool," when they would not really use it in real life. It's like their mouths are Irish but their typing fingers have gone all yankee. But obviously loads of Americanisms have slipped their way into the spoken words of irish people. These kind of annoy me too. Especially D4 girls saying "HELLOOO!!" or "EW MOY GODDDD I haven't seen you in LOIK SUCH a long TOIME".

And thats another thing, while South Dublin guys have somewhat adopted the mannerisms of our Trans-Atlantic cousins, South Dublin girls have taken the idiosyncracies to a whole new level; and you may disagree with me here but there now exists a difference between the male and female accents in that the females are now near-indistinguishable from Southern Californian Valley Girls. I always noticed this but the point was hammered home to me by a visiting American friend who felt very much at home while travelling the 46A route to town one night. I await the cynical replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

MooseJam wrote: »
    I remember being told a dude was a wart on an elephants arse

:D I remember that being said in primary school ... thats about 1983.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Dude....Sweet

Advertisement