Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEAP/BER Issues (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I too found the meeting very worthwhile and I was particurarly dubious about it, but I'm glad I went, it was very worthwhile, great to find out about the new re-registration for existing assessors which will allow us to carry out existing dwellings from Nov 17th. Get a few of those under your belt and I'd say you'll fly the exam!!! So the day saved me 500. Thats a good start for the association. :D

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Why in the name of thats good & holy would the 'Local Fire Officer' be looking for your BER cert :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is he afraid it might burn down in an environmentally unfriendly way :D

He's also the Local Building Controll Officer and the BER certs are part of building controll (like a commencement notice or Fire cert) and so he needs to get a copy. They shouldn't look for it untill the end of the job as to look for it at your stage an assessor will have to do a preliminary cert based on specification to give to him now and a final cert based on what you actually build to publish through SEI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

No6 wrote: »
    which will allow us to carry out existing dwellings from Nov 17th. :D
    Did SEI (Paula Rice) actually say this? Was there any mention of an official notification to the currently registered assessors. If so, how (on NAS or email)?tia

Probably both Mick, I missed the first few minutes of her presentation but that was the gist of it, since the exam will not be ready untill april may next year and existing building come into effect in Jan SEI needs assessors, you will still have to pass the exam and agree to an updated code of conduct with some new bits / requirements in it, so what I took from it was you don't need to do the existing building course if you don't want to, the courses are changing over to just one course new & existing together with DEAP 3, If you a registered already you can see how you get on with DEAP 3 for a while if you've still not sure about it do the existing buildings course if you are try the exam. Depending on your backrgound you may or may not need the top up course.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

He's also the Local Building Controll Officer and the BER certs are part of building controll (like a commencement notice or Fire cert) and so he needs to get a copy. They shouldn't look for it untill the end of the job as to look for it at your stage an assessor will have to do a preliminary cert based on specification to give to him now and a final cert based on what you actually build to publish through SEI.

Oh okay, Thanks for clearing that up for me No6 !

I shouldn't complain when a Public servant is doing their job diligently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This is a long shot - I need heeeelp!

Anybody got the password for DEAP 3 - the SEI website (link to password is down all evening) and I am on the existing dwelling course and can't get DEAP 3 working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 force4

Villain wrote: »
    Lads I got a letter from the local Fire officer looking for me to produce a BER cert, I got planning after 1/1/2007 but I have stopped building due at the moment due to weather and finances so I only have the shell completed.

Is the BER cert required during construction or after completion?

Thanks
    These are listed offences listed on SEI website for which you can be fined etc
    Offences
    "An authorised officer may enter, inspect and examine a building or any part of a building for the purpose of forming an opinion as to whether or not a BER data file or BER certificate issued for the building or part of the building is warranted. An authorised officer may do all such things and make all such requirements in relation to the building as are reasonably necessary for the purpose of carrying out an inspection. The regulations provide that the following offences are liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding € 5,000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding three months or both fine and imprisonment:
    Failure to permit an inspection of a building under these regulations;
    Failure by a person who commissions the construction of a large new building for which planning permission is applied or a planning notice is published on or after 1st January 2007 to ensure before work commences on its construction that due consideration has been given to the technical, environmental and economic feasibility of installing alternative energy systems in the proposed large building and that the use of such systems has been taken into account, as far as practicable, in the design of that building;
    Failure by the owner of a building or the agent of such owner to produce and allow inspection by a building control authority or an authorised officer thereof of within 28 days a printed copy of a BER certificate required in respect of that building by the regulations;"

You can see you`re pretty much covered by these .Once substantive work has been carried out ie erection of walls you can be required to produce a BER certificate for that building by an Authorised officer ,a Fire officer is one , Building control would be another . You have 28 days from when requested in which to produce it. BER assessments for new construction are done from plans and you would need one anyway. If you decide to change the construction elements keep a record of proof of work done and get the assessor to do a new BER when your construction is complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

password 5&BERBER

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Force4 I have no idea of what u values I will end up for walls or roof it all depends on cash next year, a premlinary cert is all I could provide and tbh I don't have the cash for one at the moment, I'll ring the fire officer and see what he says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Villain from

http://www.lcea.ie/docs/2007/S.I.No.%20666%20OF%202006%20EPBD-%20EC.pdf

7. (1) A person who commissions the construction of a building of a class referred to in
    subparagraph (a) or (b) of paragraph (4) construction of which commences on or after
    such date specified for that class in the said subparagraphs shall, before such building
    is occupied for the first time
    , secure a BER certificate (in the form prescribed by the
    First Schedule or Second Schedule to these Regulations, as appropriate) and advisory
    report in relation to the building and shall produce a printed copy of such BER certificate
    and advisory report to the building control authority in whose functional area the building is situated, on demand being made by that authority for its production.

Write to the fire officer citing this paragraph . Tell him the building is not complete , is not about to occupied - cert not yet required . Tell him also that you are a self builder - occupier , that the house is not being sold off plans and so a preliminary cert is not required either .

Lets know how you get on

You would be better off to get an assesment done now , if not an actual cert , while you can still affect changes to the build . If you don't get to wall plate by 014 July 09 - you will have to comply with 2007 regs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I too found the meeting very worthwhile and I was particurarly dubious about it, but I'm glad I went, it was very worthwhile, great to find out about the new re-registration for existing assessors which will allow us to carry out existing dwellings from Nov 17th. Get a few of those under your belt and I'd say you'll fly the exam!!! So the day saved me 500. Thats a good start for the association. :D

Did anyone get the email re existing dwellings as mentioned at meeting.

Im still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

No TC , not yet - today is "the Day"

Since its SEI sending it it may be delayed!!!:D

In regards to the inclusion of existing buidlings from the 1st of Jan 2009 am I correct in saying that buildings that are on the market now will also need a BER cert from January if they havnt been sold by then.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,266 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In regards to the inclusion of existing buidlings from the 1st of Jan 2009 am I correct in saying that buildings that are on the market now will also need a BER cert from January if they havnt been sold by then.

yes

I thought I heard Paula Rice say there was going to be some exemption or variation/ relaxation for buildings currently on the market at the meeting in Athlone, mind you I could have been dreaming. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

I thought I heard Paula Rice say there was going to be some exemption or variation/ relaxation for buildings currently on the market at the meeting in Athlone, mind you I could have been dreaming. :D

I have tried downloading Version 3 a few times now and each time I end up back at Version 2.1.2 - even if I completely uninstall this version.
    Is there a secret knock you have to use?? anyone else
    encounter this ?

You are right
    I think it is a matter of how you read the letter of the law. Paula was of the opinion that it comes into effect for rented properties that they will only require a ber when the go to offer the property after 1st Jan for rent.

For a property that is for sale now it is not as clear (for me any how). My reading is that if a property is for sale it is offered for sale every day until it is sold or taken off the market and thus would require one.
    Another reading of it would be that a property on sale now was offered for sale before 1st Jan so wouldnt require one. My problem with this reading is when a property is sold after 1st jan it would have to be offered for sale that day if not i is off the market.

When you download it, save the file to somewhere you'll find it, then double click to install. You have to get a password to get it to work and it should be fine. You can have both versions running so If you only have one icon on your desktop unless it says DEAPIII its the wrong one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

I am using the password posted up here. I tried accessing the link to the password on the email automatically sent when you agree to the T&C's but it keeps telling me the webpage cannot be found.

• Advertisement

I knew I heard something, I'm not mad, that is at least one good thing today!!!:D

I am using the password posted up here. I tried accessing the link to the password on the email automatically sent when you agree to the T&C's but it keeps telling me the webpage cannot be found.
    There were some problems with it last week, perhaps there are still problems. I think someone posted it in one for the threads here, I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

topcatcbr wrote: »
    You are right
    I think it is a matter of how you read the letter of the law. Paula was of the opinion that it comes into effect for rented properties that they will only require a ber when the go to offer the property after 1st Jan for rent.

For a property that is for sale now it is not as clear (for me any how). My reading is that if a property is for sale it is offered for sale every day until it is sold or taken off the market and thus would require one.
    Another reading of it would be that a property on sale now was offered for sale before 1st Jan so wouldnt require one. My problem with this reading is when a property is sold after 1st jan it would have to be offered for sale that day if not i is off the market.

It may be regarded as follows: that a potential purchaser is entitled to see a BER ratng for any dwelling that is on sale after 1st Jan 2009. This would imply that any properties on the sale at this time (even if they had been placed on the market in 2008) would have to have one.

That would be my reading of it.

anyone notice, on receipt of window quotations, that each individual window can have a different elemental U value......

i just recieved a quotation that had windows varying from 1.69 to 1.29 in elemental value....

do you calculate the average for that particular elevation??

Do each window seperatly you cant go wrong then

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Do each window seperatly you cant go wrong then

can DEAP take 30 ish window inputs??? :D;)

When you find out syd you can let us know!!! :D:D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    can DEAP take 30 ish window inputs??? :D;)

Just checked Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

There is a std 4 x 4 single opener that the manufacturer is supposed to base their performance on - FOR DWELLINGS

For NON-DOMESTIC each individual window should have a separate U-value calc.

Syd - your lucky getting such detail from the manufacturer - fair play to them - can I ask who they are (PM?)

• Advertisement

ardara1 wrote: »
    There is a std 4 x 4 single opener that the manufacturer is supposed to base their performance on - FOR DWELLINGS

For NON-DOMESTIC each individual window should have a separate U-value calc.

Syd - your lucky getting such detail from the manufacturer - fair play to them - can I ask who they are (PM?)

ardara, i will get that info to you tomorrow...

but i can tell you i sent out about 12 quotation requests and about 3 - 4 all include individual elemental u values...

Advertisement