Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 4X01 - "The Beginning Of The End" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Good episode. Gave it an 8.

Loved the split.

I thought Hurley said to Jack in the flashfoward that I'm sorry I went with Locke but we were still right.

Flashforward was before the Season 3 one.

I reckon that the people on the boat are some class of Dharma. They aren't Penny's people but could be her fathers people who is involved with Dharma. This would explain how Naomi had a picture of Penny. I reckon they hate Ben's crew but obviously want something on the island. They want to retake the island for themselves but can't let the 815 people tell the world about it.

As for who is still on the island well I don't know but I'm guessing they're not liking it there. Otherwise why would they need Hurley to help them?

I'm guessing the 6 cut a deal a la Michael in S2 to get off the island and are now regretting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

L31mr0d wrote: »
    great opening episode. I'm really liking the flashforwards now, it will cut out the lulls when they where filling us in on the pointless backstories of some of the characters *cough* Jin and Sun *cough*

I think the Sun/Jin backstories gave us one of the most poingnent moments in LOST so far;

There was the issue around the paternity of Suns baby. Finding out it had been conceived on the island gave huge relief to Sun yet confirmed that she would die. A great moment set up by the previous affair arising from her situation with Jin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

kevmy wrote: »
    Good episode. Gave it an 8.

I reckon that the people on the boat are some class of Dharma. They aren't Penny's people but could be her fathers people who is involved with Dharma. This would explain how Naomi had a picture of Penny. I reckon they hate Ben's crew but obviously want something on the island. They want to retake the island for themselves but can't let the 815 people tell the world about it.

I also thought they could be associated with Dharma but I forgot about Pennys father...that could be it. It would explain why Naoimi had a picture of Desmond and Penny and why Penny didn't know who Naoimi was. Perhaps they will end up killing Desmond because Pennys father doesn't want him to return and see Penny. That could be a valid explanation.

As for what it is Jack didn't want Hurley to tell, I was reading into it too much at the beginning. I thought it was an incident that happened to make Jack, Hurley, Kate etc. get off the island. Something they did. But now I think it's just that Jack doesn't want Hurley to tell about the island in general.

The scene with the policeman interogating Hurley showed that none of the Oceanic 6 never mentioned the island at all, which is interesting. (We know this because the policeman asked Hurley if he had heard of Ana Lucia, if he had talked to her on the plane or in the airport. He didn't say "Oh, were you friends with her on the island for the x amount of days you were stranded there")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

hughchal wrote: »
    Here's a screencap if you're interested:

Attachment not found.

Don't think that's Michael anyway. In fact of any of the main characters, I think the eye looks more like Sayid's or Desmond's.

An idea for the poll could be something like the one over on the Heroes board. Though you're still going to get people voting for the negative option no matter what, unless you have a poll consisting solely of 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 out of 10, or perhaps soloely the options good, great, magnificent, awesome and epic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The scene with the policeman interogating Hurley showed that none of the Oceanic 6 never mentioned the island at all, which is interesting. (We know this because the policeman asked Hurley if he had heard of Ana Lucia, if he had talked to her on the plane or in the airport. He didn't say "Oh, were you friends with her on the island for the x amount of days you were stranded there")

Good spot, I never noticed this at the time.

Thanks for the screenshot of the 2nd guy in cabin, Hughchal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I reckon the eye is definitely Desmond, doesnt look like any other character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I don't think the eye is one of the losties ... or des,
    that would be getting into parallel universes etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I thought the cabin guy was the russian who blew up the submarine thing under the water..

I loved it, cant wait til the next episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

hughchal wrote: »
    I think he said 'He wants us back, it'll do everything it can.'
    "I don't think we did the right thing, Jack. I think it wants us to come back."

Just to clarify, season 4 is still officially scheduled to be 16 episodes long. When the guild first went on strike, creative wanted to hold back the episodes they had completed as they wanted them to be aired back to back, uninterrupted. ABC, however, insisted that they deliver whatever they had which we can't really fault them for as any station with original material to air during the strike is going to make a killing in the ratings. Creative have also stated that they will aim to get the remaining episodes on our screens as soon as possible once the strike is over, ABC's schedule permitting. With rumours of the strike coming to an end within the week, there is a slight possibility that episode 9 could be completed in time to air when originally scheduled. If there is to be a break in the season at all, Cuse is pushing for it to be after episode 6 as episode 8 apparently ends on a massive cliffhanger that they don't want to leave us sitting on indefinitely and, while episode 6 ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger itself, it has more of a season finale feel to it.

By the way, was watching this episode again last night and I could have sworn I saw a 3rd person in Jacob's cabin. After we see Christian sitting in the chair, the camera switches to Hugo and then back to the cabin with the eye appearing at the window. Just before it appears, however, we catch another, brief glimpse of the chair and it looks like a completely different person sitting there. Maybe it's just a different angle or a trick of the light but the person's build looks very different to John Terry's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

meh,its a little all over the place as usual. think ill record every episode and watch them in a row

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can we set the Polls to something like Dexter as this 1 to 10 thing isn't really working as we get twits giving it 3 or less cause they obviously haven't watched the show from the beginning and just don't get it, so can we set up a Murder She Wrote forum for them because the obviously want all the answers in 50 minutes!
    Conversely there's twits who give every episode a 10 because they think that everything that it does is brilliant and thus make it impossible to distinguish between decent/rubbish/outstanding episodes. For them can we set up an "Oh my Gawd LOST is brill LOL" sub forum? :)
    FWIW, I gave it a 6 although in retrospect it deserved a 7/7.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ixoy wrote: »
    Conversely there's twits who give every episode a 10 because they think that everything that it does is brilliant and thus make it impossible to distinguish between decent/rubbish/outstanding episodes. For them can we set up an "Oh my Gawd LOST is brill LOL" sub forum? :)

Ha Ha very Good ixoy, but it is freekin brilliant nearly every week to those who get it. As for giving it 7 or 7 1/2 thats fair enough but what are the boys thinking who gave it 1 2 or 3? It seems they don't think too much!
    I still think one of the Mods needs to get more creative rather then the 1-10 format
    Maybe something like this :-
    Great Episode - Kate's sweet Ass
    Only a medium Episode - Juliet's okish Ass
    Shi-te Episode - Lockes Old ASS

Worked over on the Dex forum so maybe Basquille or one of the other Lost Mod's can work on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ha Ha very Good ixoy, but it is freekin brilliant nearly every week to those who get it.
    Fanboy danger alert :) I get it all right - but that doesn't mean it's brilliant nearly every week. You can still be discerning and enjoy the show (as I do) without being blinded by it.
    As for giving it 7 or 7 1/2 thats fair enough but what are the boys thinking who gave it 1 2 or 3? It seems they don't think too much!
    Well even a 1, 2, or 3 is okay if we consider 5 being an average episode of "Lost". We need to use the ranking relative to "Lost" episodes really - think of a "3" then as a weaker episode than normal, not as being a bad piece of TV. A re-labelling of options would help that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ha Ha very Good ixoy, but it is freekin brilliant nearly every week to those who get it.

Or those deluded enough to think they get it ;)

Just because someone doesn't like an episode doesn't mean they don't get it. Actually, I don't think there's anyone in the world who truly "gets" Lost, not even the writers. The creators know where it's going, but not how they're getting there.

People need to re-assess how they rate these episodes. Think of the very best episode of Lost you saw. That's worth a 10. Now, is this episode as good as that one? If it is, then 10, if not, less than 10. 23 people thought this episode was as good as Lost gets, which IMO, it simply wasn't.

It was a fairly middle of the road episode overall, not great but certainly not the worst (Jin/Sun flashback and Juliet's flashback I thought were low points). I gave this a 5 as it was very average. Probably deserved a 6 though, but my 5 balances out (a little) all the 10s.

Fanboy danger alert :) I get it all right - but that doesn't mean it's brilliant nearly every week. You can still be discerning and enjoy the show (as I do) without being blinded by it.

Well even a 1, 2, or 3 is okay if we consider 5 being an average episode of "Lost". We need to use the ranking relative to "Lost" episodes really - think of a "3" then as a weaker episode than normal, not as being a bad piece of TV. A re-labelling of options would help that alright.

I'm obsessed with Lost so maybe I'm biased but it is constantly good episode ro episode, unlike many other shows. Compare it to, say Prison Break, which I was also obsessed with. I used to like both shows equally (maybe leaning slightly towards Lost). Both shows have been dragged out quite a lot but the difference is Prison Break is crap now, but Lost is still good. That doesn't make me a fanboy (well..girl!) of Lost. I could tell when a show could get bad.

But we constantly get those giving a great episode a 1,2 or 3 because they want answers fast not because they've seen every episode and can appreciate the show.

Again as you say, on the other hand we get "Lost can do no wrong" fanboys who give episodes 9s and 10s constantly. I don't think I've ever given a 10 because I never understood the rating system...how can you give something a 10/10? 10 is perfection. Lost isn't perfection. I've given plenty of 9s when suited I've also given a couple under 5s and quite a few 6 and 7s. My ratings were especially low at the end of season 2 and start of season 3. But the end of season 3 was 7s 8s and 9s all the way.

Are you fed up with my rambling yet? Ok I'll stop.

SUMMARY- polls should be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Obsessed is a strong word. It's only a tv show. For the same reason you're saying remove 1,2,3 options from the pole, 8,9,10 should be removed for people who blindly follow it and will never rate it below 9 because they're 'obsessed' with it. I like lost but i'd like to think I can look at it objectively, realise that it's muck sometimes[season 2 was poor, unexplained bits like a four toed statue that may never be explained... etc] which some fans don't seem able to do. TV show snobbery ftl. So basically, leave the polls the way they are and let the haters have an opinion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Quality wrote: »
    I thought the cabin guy was the russian who blew up the submarine thing under the water../QUOTE]

mmm, yeah me too +1

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OK, OK.. I'll think about changing the poll format for this week's episodes. Now back on topic with actual episode discussion.

Only watched this episode now and I absolutely loved it. The third season opener was good.. but this was something special!

The flash-forwards are a fantastic addition to the show and what's better is the non-linear structure that they're being revealed (i.e at the end of last season, Jack was pleading with Kate to go back and in this episode, he told Hurley he'd never go back. So what happens to Jack to break him into going back?).

The divide of the group between Locke and Jack has, of course, been done before but now we have the idea of the group on the defence (Locke) against the group who are being caught up in being rescued (Jack). And we have Hurley regretting his decision to go with Locke and saying he should have went with Jack.. yet they're both off the island so it appear not one group exclusively got off (i.e a mix of both Locke and Jack's groups got off the island as 'The Oceanic 6').

The flashforwards, as i've mentioned, was a welcome addition and brings some much needed freshness to those stale backstories. Gone-be-the-days where a lot of us were just getting a tad sick of backstories. I'm sure backstories will still play a part in the show but the flashforwards are exciting to think about in terms of the consequences which befell them after leaving the island. Although introducing 'Ghost Charlie' was a bit of a hack move.. but I suppose it was required to show Hurley is "outta his tree"!

For a rating, i'm gonna give it a Kate's sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ass.. oh wait, that's not an option. Stupid feckin' poll.

I'm giving it an 8 cos it was an excellent start to the season superior to last season's opener, and kudos to Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof who (despite what a lot of people say) continue to keep us watching anxiously after 3 full seasons (and the key being drastic changes instead of a tired formula) and I respect them for it. And it's something (in my mind) which a lot of hit shows in recent times has failed to do: 'Heroes', 'Prison Break' etc.

Roll on episode 2!

PS - interesting to see Daniels from 'The Wire' pop up too.. but I read on AintItCoolNews.com he would be in the season opener so wasn't that much of a suprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

basquille wrote: »
    The flash-forwards are a fantastic addition to the show and what's better is the non-linear structure that they're being revealed (i.e at the end of last season, Jack was pleading with Kate to go back and in this episode, he told Hurley he'd never go back. So what happens to Jack to break him into going back?).

The person in the coffin ;)
    Well that's my bet...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

doonothing wrote: »
    The person in the coffin ;)
    Well that's my bet...

I would say its more that over time with his boozing and drug taking that it all gets to him the fact he has to lie and hide what he knows about the island. From what he says to Hurley about telling anyone, they obviously are keeping a secret. I think maybe whoever is in the coffin is just the final nail in the coffin so to speak which sets him off but having to tell the lies etc obviously is bad enough to drive him to drink and drugs and also grow some hobo beard..lol..its possible also he starts seeing his father in the same way Hurley sees charlie, he speaks of his father in the flash forward episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

What's with the fame of the Oceanic 6? It's like they are celebrities in the flash forwards - Jack mentioned signing autographs to Hurley. Why would they be so popular if they were just survivors of a plan crash? Fair enough they may have been missing for some time but I think there must be more to it.

/Zith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Zith wrote: »
    What's with the fame of the Oceanic 6? It's like they are celebrities in the flash forwards - Jack mentioned signing autographs to Hurley. Why would they be so popular if they were just survivors of a plan crash? Fair enough they may have been missing for some time but I think there must be more to it.

/Zith
    In fairness, they would have been all over the media, and these days people seem to jump on anyone and 'elevate' them to celebrity status...ever seen heat magazine? yuk

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

So its definately going to be 6 seasons is it? Loved this eposide, gave it an 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

to be honest i thought the episode was pretty sh1te.

nothing really explained to well and not much excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree.

I really enjoyed this and gave it an 8.

To me, 10 out of 10 is as close to perfect television entertainment as possible. This episode was not that. Any single flaw or let down means it cannot get a 10/10.

An example is Naomi, she has a knife in her back, she is able to escape from a large number of people unnoticed, create a diversion and climb a tree !!!!

Either way, a poll like this will never be accurate.

8/10 from me.

Does nobody else think that it was a great episode (or good, whatever..) but it just didn't feel like a season opener? It's a good episode but it feels like it should be towards the end of a season..maybe it's just because we're actually building up to people getting off the island.

As for people saying it wasn't exciting..I thought there was decent enough action on the island but a lot of people would say that not much happened. I think it's the flashforwards that were key here, and in fairness to all those "I need answers NOW" people, we learnt quite a bit after that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

hmm, didn't Ben say at one stage, "I have lots of answers for you" (or something to that effect)...

I was thinking "Good, glad someone has..."

btw, a solid 8 from me. It entertained me in an eight-ish sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I gave it an 8 but think now it should have been a 9. Brilliant episode and it's great to see a split in the group again. This show doesn't work when it's one big happy family. It will also be interesting to see who the rest of "The Oceanic 6" are with regards to which group they were in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I liked it... they keep on introducing more questions and little or no answers. This is the best trait. Keep on messing with your head....

Advertisement