Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 4X01 - "The Beginning Of The End" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Beginning_of_the_End

That has a good run down of the episode, with a pic of Christian in the chair also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The conversation about Anna-Lucia seemed to prove that no one in the real world knows about the island. They think the plane just crashed in the ocean or something and the "Oceanic 6" survived somehow. But obviously most of the others are still on the island, either willingly or by force. To protect those people Jack, Hurley et al have to keep the island secret but there's probably a lot more to it than that.

It's interesting to note that Desmond doesn't go with Locke's group but stays with Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Mr.S wrote: »
    so only 6 survive, or only get off the island, leaving the others behind.. crazy stuff.
    I'm assuming that only 6 made it back and there are more still on the Island. Ghost Charlie told Hurley that they still needed him. Also the "insurance" guy in the hospital asked Hurley "are they still alive" so I'm guessing that there are those who, for whatever reason, stayed behind.
    So the flashforwards take place just after they get back? its well before the death of whoever was in the coffin (jacks reference to the beard), so assuming its someone out of the 6 rescued, who got off the island?
    That's what I'd say too. In the flash forward last year, Jack was desperate to get back to the Island, but here he said that they'd never go back. Something changes his opinion after this. Maybe Hurley convinces him in the end?
    why wouldn't all of the others woudnt want to leave? i can understand locke not wanting to leave..

Obviously at the end of this episode there were a lot of people who didn't want to get off the island with Naomi's people so it's possible than many of them came to the realisation that staying was better.

I also don't understand why Hurley told Jack, at the end where he was playing basketball, that he should have stayed with Jack and not gone with Locke. Why was this I wonder? There's too much mind changing going on for my liking, nobody knows what they really want and in the next scene they want the opposite. Starting to wreck my head already, gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Was gonna give it a 9, but after the Jack and Hurley scene it's a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Great to see Lance Reddick popping up in lost. Could call this one the Hurley hallucination episode :) I think Jack was talking to Hurley about keeping the island and those they left behind secret. 8 eps will suck ass.

edit: gave it a 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Just watched it and thought it was class. So much stuff being set up for the season. Are there only 6 'survivors'? Are there more of them back on the island who chose not to leave? Christian Shepherd as Jacob, wtf? Who was the guy calling to Hurley? What did Charlie's appearance symbolise? And who are the new guys and how do they relate to Dharma?

After about 10 minutes I had that whole 'Lost' groove back again and can't wait for the next 7 episodes. Hopefully they will manage to tie it together satisfactorily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Was a great opener.

Does Jack possibly not want Hurley to tell them that there is an island, and there are people on it? Maybe for some reason the others wanted to stay on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Thought it was a great episode to get the series back up and running. Hopefully we'll get some flashforwards next week, Hurleys were amazing. I was hoping to see Dave at some stage. The parachuter is so sketchy lookin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

I'd say it's something along the lines of: six people somehow got off the island, the rest are being held against their will (well, those that want to leave are) and if Jack, Hurley, Kate or the rest of the six talk about the island than their friends left there get killed, or something? Definitely some blackmail type action going on here.

The "Oceanic representative" that visited Hurley, perhaps he's part of the original Dharma Initiative group, and wants to know if The Others (who Ben left Dharma to join) are still alive?

This is all just idle speculation, lizardmen may or may not be involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I found the division scene very effective, especially with the rain and everything, plus the scene with Jack and Kate afterwards. It's interesting that the people who went over to Locke's side did it mostly out of trust and loyalty to Charlie rather than to Locke. I mean from the P.O.V. of the survivors Locke is still bat-**** crazy, nobody trusts him anymore, not after blowing up the sub and killing Naomi.

Charlie's death cast a great shadow over the episode which alleviated my fears that it might be forgotten about. It was great to see how (just like the fans) the survivors were arguing over the meaning of Charlie's message and trying to ensure that his sacrifice wasn't for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great Episode a solid 10 for me, it was good to see Hurley & Claire mourn for Charlie really emotional stuff, I was bawling along with them! Nice to see Dominic's appearance, they should never had killed off Charlie. Hope we see him appear in a few more episodes this season.
    Flash forwards work very well, I take it that this was before the Jack we saw in the Finale last season, as we saw him pour a glass of Vodka and Orange for breakfast and he tells Hurley he's thinking of growing a beard.
    The black guy who visits Hurley was obviously not an Ocianic Lawyer, so who does he represent? Darma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Man, I'm glad I saw this thread on the front page a few hours ago.

Ya did it again Lost, I sucked right back in. I have to know whats going this season.

10*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Good episode. I give it 7, think giving it 10 is overdoing it, I reserve that for episodes such as last years finale.
    But really good lead on episode from season finale and sets up the season really well.

I like the flashforward, especially the conversation with Jack, lot more interesting say then Hurleys last flashback in season 3. I think the flashforwards are really going to give a new impetus to the show.
    I was surprised to see Charlie again aside from the fact he was dead but also because I heard interview straight after the final where he seemed pretty pissed that he been killed off. I didn't think he would do a Boone and make occasional return.

Did anyone spot the fact it was christian shephard in cabin first time round cause I can't see it at all even looking back but it's amazing how much more interesting he has become over the last few days, no idea what his role in everything will be.

I am a sucker for Jack versus Locke mainly because I love Locke and hate Jack so much, interesting to see how that pans out, see what Ben does and whether they will lnik up with the others. Also, did anyone see which side Sayed joined because as we all know Sayed is never wrong!

3000th post \o/ What better way to mark it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Certainly the best episode since season 2, and showing signs that ,with a little more quality after this ep, it is back to its best.

My angle on the whole 6 thing- I believe they did something awful on the island, possibly by mistake. I think the people on the boat are not there to hurt them ,they are there to help, but Lockes group will be influenced by the Others[the boat groups enemys] and kill the people on the boat by accident.The fact that Desmond didnt go with Lockes team[at least it appears so] indicates to me that he knows of what is to happen.This will trigger off lots of other events, which lead to the 6 doing something shockinly bad,and they now have to go back to avenge there sins, and possibly save the people left on the island[if there is any].
    Its all going to come down to a faceoff between Jack and Male Pattern Baldness at the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I thought on the whole the episode was pretty underwhelming.

Granted there were some nice moments such as the cabin scene, the Oceanic "attorney", Charlie appearing and Jack visiting Hurley. But the episode just didn't stand out as spectacular and is by far the worst season opener of the 3. Also, this might be a bit fanatic, but it just didn't feel right without the shot of the eye opening at the beginning.

7/10

cooker3 wrote: »
    Also, did anyone see which side Sayed joined because as we all know Sayed is never wrong!
    Sayid stayed with Jack. He seemed pretty pissed at Locke actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

qz wrote: »
    But the episode just didn't stand out as spectacular and is by far the worst season opener of the 3. Also, this might be a bit fanatic, but it just didn't feel right without the shot of the eye opening at the beginning.

I was the same. I was even trying to predict which eye would start it off.
    Although I disagree with it being worse season opener. Season 3 was worse by long way for me. Opening scene was great, rest of it was pretty poor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Although I loved the intro, I get what you're saying about the latter part of 3x01. But season 3 for me wasn't that great overall. I can't really put my finger on it, but this episode didn't feel "Lost" enough or something. Ridiculous I know, but it didn't leave me dying for the next one.
    Let's hope that changes with the second ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I am hopeless with faces, and was convinced the guy who parachuted into the island was charlie, was he just a random guy?

Seriousely I always greet people I dont know caus eI mix them up or my friends, I even do it on holidays.

i wonder what makes him change his mind from the "We are never going back" to the "we have to go back"

Just second guessing here, but I wonder was it Hurley in the Coffin? Maybe the visions etc get to much for him and drives him to suicide and Jack feels guilty about not saving him and takes up the obsession about going back to the island. As Kate wasn't interested in weather the charecter in the coffin had died or not, maybe Hurley betrayed the ones who stayed on the island in some way so that he could get off the island and Kate and Jack knew?

• Advertisement

Hehe, there's no way in hell that Hurley would fit in that coffin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭spockpower

great episode :D:D

was really interesting to see christian in jacobs hut:eek:
    i loved the hugo flashforward and was a really tense episode with all the post-charlie scenes

was a bit strange that des decided to stay with jack considering it was him that was trying ta convince them to get in touch and warn jack

spockpower wrote: »
    was a bit strange that des decided to stay with jack considering it was him that was trying ta convince them to get in touch and warn jack
    I thought so too at first. But Des has a personal reason for wanting to meet the freighter people. Naomi remember had a photo of Penny and claimed she was there on her behalf looking for Desmond. He probably also wants to stay with Jack so he can convince him of the possible danger they pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Everyone seems to assume that the scene with Christian in the hut actually happened, but I thought since the start that it was part of Hurley's hallucination - anyone know for certain either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

abelard wrote: »
    Everyone seems to assume that the scene with Christian in the hut actually happened, but I thought since the start that it was part of Hurley's hallucination - anyone know for certain either way?

I would very much doubt it actually happened, as we seen in The Man Behind the Curtain, Jacobs cabin is very far away, he hardly just stumbled across it.Surely some of the others in the group would have seen it too. But it certainly means something, after seeing the last mobisode we can all assume that Christian now has some important ties with the mytholgy of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just second guessing here, but I wonder was it Hurley in the Coffin? Maybe the visions etc get to much for him and drives him to suicide and Jack feels guilty about not saving him and takes up the obsession about going back to the island. As Kate wasn't interested in weather the charecter in the coffin had died or not, maybe Hurley betrayed the ones who stayed on the island in some way so that he could get off the island and Kate and Jack knew?

I still say it was Sawer in the coffin, and I'm even more convinced about it now. As said, no way would Hurley fit in the coffin we saw. Everyone on the Island likes Hurley, so if six of them get off then they would have showed to his funeral. Jack expected Kate to be there, as if there was some connection between her and the dead person. This to me says Sawyer. Last year, we didn't know why Kate would not be at Sawyer's funeral, but we saw in this episode that he went with the other group, much to Kate's apparent disappointment.
    abelard wrote:

Well Hurley never saw the cabin, and I don't think he knows what Jack's dad looks like, so how did he "imagine" them exactly as they are? Much like the Walt visions that Shannon and Locke had, and Hurley's previous imaginary friend (who's name escapes me) this could be the work of "The Island" once again, and not a hallucination by Hurley.

People are also wondering why he didn't mention it to Locke too, especially when Locke might recognise the description of the cabin and he too experienced visions of people who weren't really there. Well, if you though you were crazy, would you tell everyone? Hurley thinks he's having a relapse back to before, when he was in the Mental Hospital, he probably doesn't want to share that with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Obvious answer to the argument about it not being able to be the cabin, because the cabin was much further away, would be that the cabin moves and only appears when it wants people to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

good episode. big question from this episode is who else was in the cabin with christian?

re: the oceanic 6, these are the 6 who get off the island.

i think the other 3 are sayid, jin and sun, so maybe it's one of them in the coffin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Good opening episode. Glad to have lost back even if there's only going to be 8 episodes.
    good episode. big question from this episode is who else was in the cabin with christian?

I thought it was Locke in the cabin with Christian.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    I still say it was Sawer in the coffin, and I'm even more convinced about it now. As said, no way would Hurley fit in the coffin we saw. Everyone on the Island likes Hurley, so if six of them get off then they would have showed to his funeral. Jack expected Kate to be there, as if there was some connection between her and the dead person. This to me says Sawyer. Last year, we didn't know why Kate would not be at Sawyer's funeral, but we saw in this episode that he went with the other group, much to Kate's apparent disappointment.

Sorry still think its Hurley, just watched the fine finale from last season on Sky 1, Jack reads the newspaper obviosly its one of the six who get off the island, and it looks like he committed suicide, thus Jacks great upset at reading the news and tries to kill himself, probably out of guilt in not helping Hurley out, if it was Saywer in the coffin, Kate would have been more upset and would have gone to the funeral, I reckon Hurley might have caused Sawyer to die on the island maybe accidentally and Kate held Hurley responsible, or maybe she blames Hurley for going with Locke and staying on the island? As for Hurley wouldn't fit in the coffin, well we see the coffin from a high camera angle that makes it look smaller, so I still think its possible!
    Ah its great to be running through through the theories again :)

Advertisement