Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bugging me for a while thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

WUSBDesign wrote: »
    Hmm...the need to change down to 1st gear depends on the *speed* the car needs to move at given the situation...eg., sharp turns, going up an inclined driveway, etc.
    If you need to change down to 1st gear while moving then there is something wrong with you or your car.

What turn is so sharp that you need to drop to 1st? In over 20 years of driving, I've never met one. :confused:

Driveway - perfectly acceptable to stay in 1st if moving off on a steep driveway as the car is moving off from a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

What turn is so sharp that you need to drop to 1st? In over 20 years of driving, I've never met one. :confused:

There is only one turn so sharp ive had to drop it down to 1st. The infamous hill in Lucan. To make the swing left to go up the hill need to pretty much be slowed right down and 2nd isnt good to start that hill on. Was fine on my old 1.4L but the latest 1.2L prefers a little help with it so 1st gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Perfect example - I've been there on that road from Lucan to Clonsilla. One will notice that the left rear near-side wheel is actually not touching the road surface.

Of course, go the M50 way, and 1st gear is not needed.

chris85 wrote: »
    There is only one turn so sharp ive had to drop it down to 1st. The infamous hill in Lucan
    WUSBDesign wrote: »
    Perfect example
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with that hill lads but I think if I was in a similar scenario I would bring the car to a stop, then select 1st and continue. Selecting 1st while moving is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cheers WA, I'm sure I'll have a few more q's winging their way here again soon.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Cheers WA, I'm sure I'll have a few more q's winging their way here again soon.
    That's what we're here for! :)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that hill lads but I think if I was in a similar scenario I would bring the car to a stop, then select 1st and continue. Selecting 1st while moving is a no no.

Just to try to explain the hill the way i come from. Its basically a very very sharp left turn with an immediate change from flat road to steep hill as soon as you turn. The car is more or less at a standstill just at the apex of the turn, and the hill is to steep to take in 2nd. Drop to first just at the apex of the turn at slowest point and then give the car a good bit of welly and get up the hill.

Oh and hard to take it at any speed as well as it a back road with no lighting, although is a busy section. Well known around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

I vaguely remember my Father talking about not being able to select 1st gear whilst the car was moving, used to say something about no synch on 1st. - whatever that meant - was very very young, long long time ago.

As far as I am aware, all modern cars have now full synchronisation on all forward gears and therefore 1st can and should be treated exactly as any other gear. That is, used properly and correctly. Have the speed of the car correct before selecting and use it when the situation demands. Same as any other gear, no need to stop before engaging.

Of course, if you are driving an old car with only partial synchronisation, you must stop, select 1st and away. If you are doing the test, mutter aloud about no Synch on 1st and that if you pass the test you will treat yourself to a proper modern car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

Roundabouts: I haven't gone round a roundabout with an instructor yet (I've absolutely no problem with them) but one of my mates said his instructor told him that you *must* be in 2nd gear when going around a roundabout. Is this true?
    Generally speaking, yes.
    Gearing: From the bits and bobs I've read here, you should never use 1st gear unless taking off. What is confusing me is; if I stop in traffic (Traffic Lights, obstruction etc) can I go down to 1st or must you take off in second?
    In the 1L VW Polo I drive, if you get caught up in very slow traffic <5MPH, the car will struggle in 2nd gear. You should not use 1st gear while moving unless you lose speed enough to cause the car to struggle in 2nd, or you must drive up a steep hill at low speed.
    Time: Can I be as meticulous with parking etc as I want or can you be marked down on causing obstruction to other road users? As in, can I take my time reversing into a parking space?
    Wishbone has it right - reverse in before the test, drive straight out, then drive straight back in and reverse back out when you have your competency/failure cert.

There is no point in exposing yourself to unnecessary complications while you have the tester in the passenger seat.
    Observation: Do you physically have to show yourself checking your mirrors? i.e. Turn your head? I can check them without moving my head (move my eyes) but I presume the tester would ride you on observation if I do it my way?
    I'm not sure there's any definitave answer on this, but my first instructor told me that it's not enough to "eyeball" the mirrors and blind spots, the tester has to SEE that you're doing it. I changed instructors and the new one didn't pull me up on it. I proceeded to do the test with observation backed by demonstrated head movements, and passed. Remeber that the MSMM demands a check of the blind spot along with the second mirror check.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

When driving an automatic - should you put it into neutral when stopping at lights etc?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I vaguely remember my Father talking about not being able to select 1st gear whilst the car was moving, used to say something about no synch on 1st. - whatever that meant - was very very young, long long time ago.

As far as I am aware, all modern cars have now full synchronisation on all forward gears and therefore 1st can and should be treated exactly as any other gear. That is, used properly and correctly. Have the speed of the car correct before selecting and use it when the situation demands. Same as any other gear, no need to stop before engaging.

Of course, if you are driving an old car with only partial synchronisation, you must stop, select 1st and away. If you are doing the test, mutter aloud about no Synch on 1st and that if you pass the test you will treat yourself to a proper modern car.

do you mean a synchro mesh?
    my o4 corsa needs to slow down before going into 1st although it doesnt need to stop really

not that id take of in 1st from second when moving Ive just noticed this from stopping at lights etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Another question...

I have applied for a test , I might be waiting a while, do you think it would be a good idea too book me in for another centre ? Like book a second test, just in case the first on doesn't work out ?

xeroshero wrote: »
    When driving an automatic - should you put it into neutral when stopping at lights etc?
    Thanks
    No - leave it in 'Drive'.

msg11 wrote: »
    Another question...

I have applied for a test , I might be waiting a while, do you think it would be a good idea too book me in for another centre ? Like book a second test, just in case the first on doesn't work out ?

Firstly this is not allowed as you cannot have two applications in the system at same time afaik.

Use the time you are waiting to get your test to practice so you will pass the test when it does come around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

For all your wise words WBA, selecting 1st whilst moving most certainly isn't a no no, provided it's done properly. By that I mean making sure the vehicle is slowed to an appropriate speed before changing down into first gear so the gear goes in easily without jerking or acting as a break and slowing the car down.

When I learnt to drive I had to change down into first (on a car with a crash first) on the move at a couple of broad "Give Way" junctions leading onto steep hills in my locality. Stopping, having to apply the handbrake, selecting first and moving off again was something you'd needn't necessarily do at a "Give Way" junction with good visibility. This came under headings "correct use of gears" and "making progress".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

chris85 wrote: »
    Firstly this is not allowed as you cannot have two applications in the system at same time afaik.

Use the time you are waiting to get your test to practice so you will pass the test when it does come around.

Practising all the time, I would say I am confident that I would pass. Its just the fact that if I get an instructor who is in an angry mood on the day, that they would just fail me.

I know I can apply again, but I would rather get it the first time, rather than sitting around waiting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

woop wrote: »
    do you mean a synchro mesh?

Yes that was it. Remember it was a long time ago.

In my lifetime of driving, I have never found it necessary to stop before engaging 1st gear.

Of course it is the most difficult gear to use smoothly, so I can quite understand how a bad or very inexperienced driver would find it difficult to engage whilst still moving and do it smoothly and competently. for them it might indeed be better to stop :D

In the test, If you stop unnecessary to engage 1st then you could be marked for gears and progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

J_R wrote: »
    Of course it is the most difficult gear to use smoothly, so I can quite understand how a bad or very inexperienced driver would find it difficult to engage whilst still moving and do it smoothly and competently. for them it might indeed be better to stop :D

Careful now...you might get banned :D

Another one, when reversing around a corner what indication should one use? Hazards?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Another one, when reversing around a corner what indication should one use? Hazards?

Left indicator on at all times. Keep putting it back on when it turns itself off.

• Advertisement

Left indicator on at all times. Keep putting it back on when it turns itself off.

Merci beaucoup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Merci beaucoup :)

And one other thing, if you're asked to turn left after performing the reversing around the corner, you still indicate right initially for going back onto the road and then indicate left immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

I don't think this is true. When you put your car into reverse, the reverse lights come on. This is sufficient to let people know you are reversing. If you put on the left indicator, it can be misleading because people may think you are parked/parking, or (when you've already completed part of the manoeuver but have stopped because of other traffic) that you are going to move forward again and turn left.

When I did my test a couple of weeks ago, I did not indicate when completing the reverse around the corner and I didn't have a single grade against me for this part of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Oh, but I did get a grade against me for not indicating right before moving off and taking an immediate left. So what old_-_school says is right - don't forget this bit!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

aniascor wrote: »
    I don't think this is true. When you put your car into reverse, the reverse lights come on. This is sufficient to let people know you are reversing. If you put on the left indicator, it can be misleading because people may think you are parked/parking, or (when you've already completed part of the manoeuver but have stopped because of other traffic) that you are going to move forward again and turn left.

When I did my test a couple of weeks ago, I did not indicate when completing the reverse around the corner and I didn't have a single grade against me for this part of the test.

That's exactly what i was told so that's some good advice:)

There is no requirement to indicate when reversing as a reversing vehicle has no right of way and must give way to all other vehicles.

aniascor wrote: »
    When you put your car into reverse, the reverse lights come on. This is sufficient to let people know you are reversing
    Reverse lights are not a legal requirement and therefore, it can't be assumed that all vehicles have them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

In one of the estates on the route, there's a junction with no signs and no road markings. What's the case there, do I just drive as though there's a stop sign and line or can I take it as a yield? One end of the junction leads on to a main road, so it can be relatively busy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    In one of the estates on the route, there's a junction with no signs and no road markings. What's the case there, do I just drive as though there's a stop sign and line or can I take it as a yield? One end of the junction leads on to a main road, so it can be relatively busy.

I believe it's a case of yielding to those on your right? That's if they are roads of equal importance. At least i think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 buzz1234

To Hell with whether it's legal or not, my neighbourhood is plagued by driving School cars, they are everywhere, I counted fifteen in one go, I'm sick to death of them, why don't the " Instructors " use their own Neighbourhoods to do their work?

These idiots begin reversing around the corner and then they hand signal traffic from behind to overtake, are they really serious?, they want drivers to drive over the white line, into possible traffic coming around the other corner, in the opposite direction and they get all pissed off because you stay put and wait 'til they move. Does their insurance cover any collision as a result?

There should be a meeting of minds between all the Driving Schools, God or whatever knows, they are making enough Money, and the Department of Transport, where they can develop an area in Dublin, North and South, that can be used to practice all of these required skills.

Oh, and let me add, these twits, have, on three occasions, ended up driving up on the Grass margins, spinning wheels destroying the Grass and they pissed off leaving the damage to be repaired by someone else.

I will continue to wait, however long , 'til they move!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement