Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bugging me for a while thread...

Options
  • 22-01-2008 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Ill start this thread for all the people, full and provisional just meaning to brush up on a few things.

Whats this about...?

Well if you have a single question and dont want to start a whole thread just ask here...

////

Now, this has been really getting on my nerves...

I know its on the test and all that, but...

Is reversing around a corner, not illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

msg11 wrote: »

Is reversing around a corner, not illegal?

As I understand it...

reversing from major road to minor (like you do on the test) legal...

reversing from minor to major illegal....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

jhegarty wrote: »
    As I understand it...

reversing from major road to minor (like you do on the test) legal...

reversing from minor to major illegal....

But highly dangerous all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

to be honest, I've never seen the point of it. Reversing into a parking spot, yes. Reversing out of a parking spot, yes. Three point turn, fine...but reversing around a corner? I don't think I've ever had to do it in my life (in the real world). Unless I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

seen alot of trucks having to do it but not cars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ztoical wrote: »
    seen alot of trucks having to do it but not cars
    Seriously? I reverse round corners every day.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭The Hacker

galah wrote: »
    to be honest, I've never seen the point of it. Reversing into a parking spot, yes. Reversing out of a parking spot, yes. Three point turn, fine...but reversing around a corner? I don't think I've ever had to do it in my life (in the real world). Unless I'm missing something?

I have to do it every single day when leaving my estate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

That clears that one up for me, still very dangerous I might say.

Also, while on it. Why do so many people think that its hard ? Its quite easy to reverse around the corner, just adjust your mirrors to the curb, thats about it and after a while you just get used to it with the need of the mirrors..

Anyone for another question ??

MrPudding wrote: »
    Seriously? I reverse round corners every day.

MrP

If we're counting people reversing out of drive ways then yes I've seen cars do it but the only cars I see going backwards round corners on busy roads are people on their tests [I leave down the road from a test center] I'm not saying people do or don't do it, I was just answering honestly that I've only noticed trucks doing it, mainly round construction yards as they are making deliveries. Only time I've had to do it so far is for my test.

Also, while on it. Why do so many people think that its hard ? Its quite easy to reverse around the corner, just adjust your mirrors to the curb, thats about it and after a while you just get used to it with the need of the mirrors..

I don't find it hard but doing it under the test conditions is annoying. I've found the places the testers pick to do it in kilkenny are just mad. The main one they use is just off one of the roundabouts for the ring road and across from Supervalue. No matter what time of day you try to do it there are cars coming from ever direction. It seriously took me over 15 mins to do mine - 45 seconds for the actually reverse but waiting for the road to be clear and then going round the corner only to be meet with more traffic, having to go back and start all over. I would never in a million years reverse around that corner as all I have to do is drive down take two lefts and I end up on the street I'm trying to reverse into.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The reverse around a corner manoeuvre is used to assess your observational skills, spatial awareness and right of way knowledge while maintaining complete control over your vehicle using the accelerator, clutch, footbrake, parking brake and the steering wheel.

Whether or not you ever have to do it again is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's a way of simulating reversing into a parking space without having to worry about potentially damaging any car that would be parked either side of you if it was a real space. Thats what my instructor told me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I see...

well, way back when I learned to drive, the instructor used traffic cones to mark the spot I had to reverse into, and during the driving test, I had to reverse into a proper parking spot - at least there's no danger for other drivers as such...

@ Wishbone Ash: Obviously, I use the "method" of reversing every day - but not on an open road as such - and I've never seen the need for it (I classify reversing out of a driveway not as 'reversing around a corner', but maybe it's just my understanding of the term rather than the actual manouever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Hi all,
    My question is when reversing around the corner in the test is it ok to stop na dcompletely adjust your mirros to see the curb?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

If you never had to reverse around a corner then you obviously dont drive much in the city. (This exact question was asked about a month ago.)

Often this manoeuvre is the only safe way to change direction on a narrow street and a 3 point turn would just block traffic or there was not enough room for a tpt.
    As for being dangerous - ???? - only if carried out dangerously.

Nothing inherently any more dangerous than regular reversing, observation is the key point.

Hi all,
    My question is when reversing around the corner in the test is it ok to stop na dcompletely adjust your mirros to see the curb?
    No problem adjusting mirrors, good observation is particularly important for reversing as your view is restricted and normally you are reversing against flow of traffic. But also remember to look out for pedestrians and cars.
    Look around, forward, left and back then reverse and regularly look around particularly when the nose of your car crosses the central line.

This is why as WA said, this manoeuvre is a good test of many abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Have a new question ...

I am getting a letter from my job, saying I need a full license as part of my job etc...

Just wondering how quick should the test come after the letter is sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

The only problem I have with the reversing around a junction maneuvure is how hard it is to practice. I was practicing almost daily in the run up to my test and almost every time I went to the junctions commonly used for that maneuvure would always be taken up by other L-Platers doing the same maneuvre, about 50% of the time the junction I intended to practice on would be occupied first.

SeanW wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the reversing around a junction maneuvure is how hard it is to practice. I was practicing almost daily in the run up to my test and almost every time I went to the junctions commonly used for that maneuvure would always be taken up by other L-Platers doing the same maneuvre, about 50% of the time the junction I intended to practice on would be occupied first.
    Have you tried the junctions NOT commonly used for that maneuvure.:rolleyes:
    Surely "Longford" has a few more junctions than you are leading us to believe. Plenty of places you can practice, including car parks, gateways, any space with some cones/bollards laid out as previously suggested.
    I dont think think there is anything like the number of Learners actually learning on the roads as I have encounterd in the UK, in fact a small fraction of that number. In some housing estates during the day you could have several L-cars queueing up to drive around. Saw one with 7 L-cars, all PROPER instructors.
    People do easily 4 times as many proper paid for lessons as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

wil wrote: »
    Have you tried the junctions NOT commonly used for that maneuvure.:rolleyes:
    Yes, I was taken on one in one of my earlier tests - a corner on a steep hill with a 30 degree angle :mad:
    Surely "Longford" has a few more junctions than you are leading us to believe.
    Plenty of junctions, most of them on main roads. But I got onto the requisite junctions enough to get it down to fine art so I'm not really complaining.
    Saw one with 7 L-cars, all PROPER instructors.
    People do easily 4 times as many proper paid for lessons as here.
    And I think that's a problem - I passed my test only after changing driving schools - went from getting 12 Grade 2 faults to only 1 - from a school with multiple instructors to a single instructor. New instructor left me in no doubt about the quality of instruction I got from the other crowd. And in retrospect, it's all starting to make sense.

I've been hearing a lot about this instructor-testing thing. Not a damn minute too soon as far as I'm concerned. Because there are probably a whole load of instructors nationwide who shouldn't really be doing it at all.

Obviously I can't name names about my above experience but if anyone in Longford wants the name and contact details of the good instructor, PM me.

SeanW wrote: »
    New instructor left me in no doubt about the quality of instruction I got from the other crowd. And in retrospect, it's all starting to make sense.

I've been hearing a lot about this instructor-testing thing. Not a damn minute too soon as far as I'm concerned. Because there are probably a whole load of instructors nationwide who shouldn't really be doing it at all.
    Spot on, a good instructor is worth every penny, a bad one is a complete waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Have a new question ...
    I am getting a letter from my job, saying I need a full license as part of my job etc...
    Just wondering how quick should the test come after the letter is sent?

A month or two, depending on what centre. It was 6 weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I heard someone say that I shouldn't rest my foot on the clutch when driving.

But I always do this. Where should I put my foot then or is it okay to leave my foot rest on the clutch? I don't press it in, it's just hovering there.

I heard someone say that I shouldn't rest my foot on the clutch when driving.

But I always do this. Where should I put my foot then or is it okay to leave my foot rest on the clutch? I don't press it in, it's just hovering there.
    Place it to the left of the clutch pedal or under it if space is restricted.

You say that you don't press the pedal but, in a test, an examiner cannot tell if you are pressing it slightly or not and will have no choice but to penalise you.

Personally, I would find having my foot hovering over the pedal to be very uncomfortable. :eek:

Vehicle Controls

An applicant should make proper use of the: - accelerator, clutch, gears, footbrake, handbrake, steering,
    and secondary controls or a fault may be recorded for ‘Vehicle Controls’ as appropriate.

The ‘Technical Checks’ should be demonstrated correctly, as should the coupling/uncoupling exercise, as required, or the appropriate fault should be recorded. Some controls require a degree of co-ordination and should be
    demonstrated smoothly by the applicant.

Examples of ‘Vehicle Control’ faults include:

(a) Accelerator: not applied properly or at the correct time, or excessive use for the conditions.

(b) Clutch: coasting, i.e. driving for a prolonged distance with the pedal pressed in or sharp engagements causing the vehicle to jerk unnecessarily or resting the foot on the clutch pedal for prolonged periods causing it to slip or attempting to change gears without using the clutch.

(c) Gears: selecting an incorrect gear, or coasting, i.e. driving for some distance in neutral, or driving for a prolonged distance in an incorrect gear.

(d) Footbrake: non application of the footbrake, unnecessarily sharp application or late application for the circumstances.

(e) Handbrake: not applied as appropriate on an incline, or during a prolonged stop in traffic, or being applied before the vehicle has come to a halt, or inadequate application, or attempting to drive while the handbrake is still engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Personally, I would find having my foot hovering over the pedal to be very uncomfortable. :eek:

If find it depends a lot on the car... my current car has a grand foot rest next to it , but my last one had no where to put your foot , so really had a "hover"....

Its a very hard habit to get out of, but make sure you do before the test, its enough to fail on its own....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ive no space to the left of the pedal. Ive a fourth pedal to the left of the clutch. It's my handbrake.

So should I take my foot off it and place it on the floor on front of the clutch? I don't think I can drive like that. I like having easy access to the clutch.

Ive a fourth pedal to the left of the clutch. It's my handbrake
    It must be awkward reaching down there! :D

(It's a foot operated park brake ;)).
    So should I take my foot off it and place it on the floor on front of the clutch? I don't think I can drive like that. I like having easy access to the clutch.
    You only think that - a bit of practise and you'll wonder how you could drive the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Got the date for my test on Wednesday last (w00t), the 5th of March, and with just over 4 weeks til then theres a few things that need clarifying for me;
    • Roundabouts: I haven't gone round a roundabout with an instructor yet (I've absolutely no problem with them) but one of my mates said his instructor told him that you *must* be in 2nd gear when going around a roundabout. Is this true?
    • Gearing: From the bits and bobs I've read here, you should never use 1st gear unless taking off. What is confusing me is; if I stop in traffic (Traffic Lights, obstruction etc) can I go down to 1st or must you take off in second?
    • Time: Can I be as meticulous with parking etc as I want or can you be marked down on causing obstruction to other road users? As in, can I take my time reversing into a parking space?
    • Observation: Do you physically have to show yourself checking your mirrors? i.e. Turn your head? I can check them without moving my head (move my eyes) but I presume the tester would ride you on observation if I do it my way?

Cheerio's

cson wrote: »
    [*]Roundabouts: I haven't gone round a roundabout with an instructor yet (I've absolutely no problem with them) but one of my mates said his instructor told him that you *must* be in 2nd gear when going around a roundabout. Is this true?
    It would really depend on the size of the roundabout.

[*]Gearing: From the bits and bobs I've read here, you should never use 1st gear unless taking off. What is confusing me is; if I stop in traffic (Traffic Lights, obstruction etc) can I go down to 1st or must you take off in second?
    You should never change down to first gear while moving. It should only be selected after the vehicle has stopped. At traffic lights etc. you may select 1st after coming to a stop.
    [*]Time: Can I be as meticulous with parking etc as I want or can you be marked down on causing obstruction to other road users? As in, can I take my time reversing into a parking space?
    Unless you are parallel parking, I'd just drive straight into the parking spot. There's no point delaying the tester or making things more awkward for yourself. Do not park on double yellows or cause an obstruction. Reverse park prior to the test so that you can drive straight out for the test.

(You cannot be penalised if your vehicle is illegally parked at the start of the test).
    [*]Observation: Do you physically have to show yourself checking your mirrors? i.e. Turn your head? I can check them without moving my head (move my eyes) but I presume the tester would ride you on observation if I do it my way?
    I'd make a slight movement but I wouldn't exaggerate any movements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

You should never change down to first gear while moving. It should only be selected after the vehicle has stopped. At traffic lights etc. you may select 1st after coming to a stop.

Hmm...the need to change down to 1st gear depends on the *speed* the car needs to move at given the situation...eg., sharp turns, going up an inclined driveway, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement