Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 million euro website revamp for Lotto.ie

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Are you sure that €1m is for the whole new image/branding in shops / displays etc... rather than just the site itself?

At first glance i can't play online - WTF :D

I thought that was the whole point of a redevelopment - to cash in on the online gamblers?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I get annoyed by sites claiming they're accessible, when they clearly aren't. These guys even claim WAI 2 - that's just bull. Mind you they also say they do valid html 4.01 when the pages appear xhtml.

Go figure.

For €3 million, it really has to have online gaming. That might be a future phase though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

smemon wrote: »
    Are you sure that €1m is for the whole new image/branding in shops / displays etc... rather than just the site itself?

At first glance i can't play online - WTF :D

I thought that was the whole point of a redevelopment - to cash in on the online gamblers?!

nope they spent another €6,000,000 on the actualy physcial rebranding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

eCommerce stuff on the way, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Personally I think the actual look of the website is lovely. I think they've done well to fit so much content in to the home page while keeping a nice feel to it. The colours are nice and clean and although its not revolutionary, it is a far nicer site.

I'm sure the €1m was not just for what you see when you go to the site. I'd imagine there is more to come as well as a lot behind the scenes.

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote: »
    eCommerce stuff on the way, apparently.

source????

miju wrote: »
    source????

If you don't trust me, you definitely won't trust my source!

thought it was a linky somewhere to something solid I could read so i could have nose.

Nope, sorry. 'tis reliable but as to when it'll be launched is unclear.

BTW, even with eCommerce, I struggle to justify 1m quid!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I find this kind of stuff galling. I can see from viewing the source that it's done in asp.net. When I see sites developed in asp.net (as I'm an asp.net dev myself) I always worry because there are alot of things that you can do using visual studio involving simple drag and drop, wizards and so on. Demo this and your customer will think you are a genius. The problem is, and of course it's only my opinion, that a good asp.net developer should go beyond the wizards in an effort to develop a cleaner faster more efficient site.

Alot of Asp.net results in horrible inline javascript - I think unobtrusive javascript is the way to script sites these days but I see developers availing of the .net script all the time.
    A web page always defaults to the transitional doctype when anyone getting paid huge sums of cash to develop a site should be using a strict doctype. Oh and naturally it doesn't validate.

I develop for a county council in asp.net and I work hard on making my applications accessible and standards compliant. Of course I have my beliefs on how things should be done as with any developer (see unobtrusive scripting above) but since we can't develop stuff in-house all the time I see things like this site being demoed all the time by companies we purchase applications from and it is simply amazing the money these guys get paid for it and all I'm ever thinking when I watch these demos is how much better I could do it (sod modesty).

I always grill them but of course the money has been spent so they don't give a damn. Lazy lazy stuff. This is the kind of scene that caused the IT slump and we'll bring on another one eventually. Bosses like mine shelling out wadloads of cash to companies who lap it up and drag and drop their way to riches. Both sides are to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

hey mick.fr, how did you find out about that agency job for the lotto? more specifically how'd you find out what it entailed???

It was widely reported at the time. E.g. Independent

Advertisement