Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 million euro website revamp for Lotto.ie

Options
  • 18-01-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Agency (www.agency.com) has been awarded the revamp/hosting/CRM solution contract for lotto.ie/lottery.ie

This is a 1 million contract over 3 years

Not bad :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I always find it mad how much companies pay for websites...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I wouldn't mind getting 1million for designing a website. tbh, I didn't like the website that was there already. I suppose the National Lottery are willing to pay whatever they have to for a solution which is really secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Secure for what? It's not like they accept cc payments is it - it's purely an information site. Crazy money. I'd do it for 900k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Macros42 wrote: »
    Secure for what? It's not like they accept cc payments is it - it's purely an information site.
    I'm not too familiar with the current site (come to think of it, I've never actually done the Lotto) but for 1million I'd expect that they're planning some sort of major overhaul. Play Lotto online or somesuch thing. That would need to be fairly secure alright.

Still... yeah... crazy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

An information website? For 1 million...?

Tinfoil hat: do one of the Lotto directors own agency.com? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dublindude wrote: »
    An information website? For 1 million...?

Tinfoil hat: do one of the Lotto directors own agency.com? :)
    Its an information website now, we don't know what it will be after they revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Macros42 wrote: »
    Secure for what? It's not like they accept cc payments is it - it's purely an information site. Crazy money. I'd do it for 900k :D

I'd do it for 800k

ps. i need to outsource an informational site for €200 ... anyone ?

mick.fr wrote: »
    Agency (www.agency.com) has been awarded the revamp/hosting/CRM solution contract for lotto.ie/lottery.ie

This is a 1 million contract over 3 years

Not bad :-)
    When I say secure, I mean that they will probably be storing thier information about clients etc, on a CRM. Also, some crackpot will want to hack Lotto.ie just for the craic or to prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have no doubt the new lotto site will do what the uk lotto allows and let people to paly online using secure payments from Visa/Mastercard/Laser etc.

For a million over 3 years I would imagine it is a lot more than just a revamp and update of the current site. I would imagine there is a large content management and online payments system on an extranet and furthermore on the intranet.

Also, if the company is doing hosting .... well, they can charge silly amounts. Design/Dev companies usually do. Its a handy way to keep getting income :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Like all of these big contracts it would have to go out to EU tender. I suspect there's probably a whole Intranet/CRM/CMS deal behind it. It's the kind of juicy thing that has guys in suits for months on end watching and asking questions, so many questions .............
    And of course it's not just a website , it's "a portal". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Here is what the job is about exactly

The National Lottery have awarded a contract for a Website Design, Development and Hosting Project requiring the following services:

(1)Long term strategy planning - Assisting the National Lottery in the development of its long term digital strategy.

(2)Technical consultancy - Providing advice on all capacity and technical requirements to enable the optimum website for the National Lottery taking into account ongoing updating through game innovation.

(3)Design consultancy - Designing a best in class website that provides a platform for consumers to access and play online games as well as being updated on lottery results, events, advertising, sponsorship etc.

(4)Accessibility and usability consultancy - Allowing the National Lottery to access the widest possible user base of potential players.

(5)Content Management - Providing content that both updates users on Lottery results and new games but also entertains and engages consumers online.

(6)Campaign Planning - Devising and implementing an online marketing strategy for the National Lottery.

(7)Customer Relationship Management Programme - Devising and implementing a CRM strategy that enables the National Lottery to build, manage, maintain and utilize an optimum customer database.

(8)Traffic Analysis - Providing ongoing measurements of traffic through The National Lottery website and tracking site performance with key audiences and evaluating return on investment.

(9)Operational and Disaster Recovery - providing a capability to ensure continuous user access to the primary website in the event of technical problems and operational downtime.

When you think about it, 1 million over 3 years is not that much. 300k a year to pay at least 2-3 guys + hosting (Several dedicated servers).
    I would say the agency is actually going to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

jhegarty wrote: »
    I'd do it for 800k

ps. i need to outsource an informational site for €200 ... anyone ?
    200k? Sure. I can make it in htm or html portal version, whichever one you wish. I can even make it with a background colour of your choice, if that tickles your fancy.

I must say though, agency.coms site has some great presentations of their portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's a very big project and any part of it could screw the whole thing up. €1 million isn't that bad and it would be quite a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭zardette

To make an appropriate judgment on the cost of doing the site one would need information on what new services the site will be providing ...

For example will the re-vamp site include more interactive games on line will it be open to the whole of the EU ( mutilanguage) ....

How can one make a quote without a full specification of the job ?

Yes one can agree to do it for x amount of euro but it might not be a bad idea first to get information on the type of work that is invloved first :D

So once we know what involved in the site maybe one can make a judgement that a million euros over 3 years is "good value for money".

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

nevf wrote: »
    When I say secure, I mean that they will probably be storing thier information about clients etc, on a CRM. Also, some crackpot will want to hack Lotto.ie just for the craic or to prove a point.

Again? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MOD(galway)

no offence it does'nt even look that great.. lol

no offence it does'nt even look that great.. lol

What?
    The current one ? No of course this is still the old one. They got the contract awarded recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I suppose all we can do is reserve judgment until the site's launched.

It would want to be a nice website for one that cost €1,000,000. And it would want to be able to do some nifty tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Looking at their portfolio, it's going to be Flash, which means its going to be shìt. However, 1 million over three years is reasonably considering the details of the contract and the amount of potential traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

What's there is good in some ways but really poor in others.

How hard would it be to throw together an rss feed of results and a 'link to source' syndication policy so portals can automatically update? That's an easy win right there.

There seems to be a policy of replacing ocr machines with quick-pick only, that must already be driving off people who play a standard set of numbers, I wonder how many regulars they lose each time the game changes.

An online facility could make playing a standard ticket so convenient you'd just forget about it. Changing from physical ticket as proof, to a 'your account' system would take some work, but if paddy power can do it...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That is a serious amount of money for a site. My guess is that they have a massive oracle database at the back with all the options for performance, security and reporting, and then CRM etc built in. That would cost several hundred thousand for the software licences alone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

for the requirements they are asking for , 1 million over 3 years isnt that great, its not a one man job at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I remember seeing this when it went out to tender. The tender includes online games, accessibility, traffic analysis, disaster recovery etc.

The details are at:
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/Search/Search_Switch.aspx?ID=58212

I don't think 1 million euro is too much for the amount of work they are looking.

Zascar wrote: »
    That is a serious amount of money for a site. My guess is that they have a massive oracle database at the back with all the options for performance, security and reporting, and then CRM etc built in. That would cost several hundred thousand for the software licences alone

Be reasonable for a sec. If they were going o use Oracle, that would be a lot more expensive than a Mil over 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

can they not just do a deal with the uk lottery and copy their website - surely the basic workings must be similar and this would work out cheaper?

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

why bring up such an old thread? and why do that? should irish companies support irish business where appropriate, we'd have nothing built if everyone had that attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

heggie wrote: »
    why bring up such an old thread? and why do that? should irish companies support irish business where appropriate, we'd have nothing built if everyone had that attitude

Because I heard recently that there was a change on the way for the Irish lottery website and came across this thread.

There is nothing wrong with bringing up "such an old thread" (January 08) if I choose to do so.

So you feel Irish companies should support Irish business - fine, but it doesn't mean my argument is not a valid one. It is, after all, our money that funds the lottery.

As for "having nothing built if everyone had that attitude" - we might have a few better websites given the quality of a lot of Irish websites compared to their UK counterparts.

edit: just noticed that this thread is on a web development forum so I can understand the reaction to a degree!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is nothing wrong with bringing up "such an old thread" (January 08) if I choose to do so.

Actually, there is. Its up to the moderators of the forum, but its normally frowned upon by people on Boards (including me) when people bump a topic and add nothing useful.

Drags on with ****e responses like mine then :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The same company did dulux.co.uk, and apparently they have 8 offices around the world. I would imagine we will all be able to satisfy our urge to win €18 million online from the comfort of our home in future.

On another note what really annoys me on the Dulux site is that thing down the right hand side that stays on the screen if you scroll down. When are people going to realize it can be done with like one line of css and doesnt bob up and down like the stupid Javascript one does?

Advertisement