Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 million euro website revamp for Lotto.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Please post that line of css... be mighy handy for a site im doing... or if you have a link to sample on line that would do nicely

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Macros42 wrote: »
    Secure for what? It's not like they accept cc payments is it - it's purely an information site. Crazy money. I'd do it for 900k :D

+1

IMO they could of hired alot better for less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

To be fair, unless any of you know the exact particulars and specifics of the job at hand, I'd be inclined to reserve judgement. I suspect that this isn't just a case of 'building de webs' as opposed to a very involved project with integration into legacy systems, a lot of money being invested in security and a great deal of niche knowledge required for certain aspects of the job. The fact is, we just don't know without seeing a detailed requirements document.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Solyad wrote: »
    Please post that line of css... be mighy handy for a site im doing... or if you have a link to sample on line that would do nicely

Cheers

I think it's "position: fixed", but IE doesn't support it very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Well lads the new site is up www.lotto.ie

Not a hint of any e-commerce either :eek::eek::eek:

All i can say is :confused::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If that site cost a million then the world has gone crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

That can't be it. No E-Commerce. 1 million quid is the world gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Ok I think I am in the wrong business. Anyone looking for a partner is web design firm. I am an expert in government tenders but if this is the final product, this really shocks me.

the SEO links are very unprofessional

http://www.lotto.ie/en/Winners1/
    http://www.lotto.ie/en/Games-NEW/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

turgon wrote:
    I would imagine we will all be able to satisfy our urge to win €18 million online from the comfort of our home in future

Heh - not from the new lotto.ie!

You have to remember that although it has a 1 million euro price tag, it is a 3 year project. However, it's still amazing that there is no online gaming!

http://www.spiralhosting.com/blog/2008/08/new-website-for-irish-national-lottery/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

How hard can it be to do e-commerence online, here's a company that looks after most of the gaa clubs and societys, organisations

www.helpourclub.ie

The websites a huge improvment but for 1,000,000 yoyo's its not much, any designer/developer with 3 years of time could come up with that for a fraction of the cost.

Its not rip off Ireland just people without a clue making decisions

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Namesco wrote: »
    How hard can it be to do e-commerence online, here's a company that looks after most of the gaa clubs and societys, organisations

www.helpourclub.ie

The websites a huge improvment but for 1,000,000 yoyo's its not much, any designer/developer with 3 years of time could come up with that for a fraction of the cost.

Its not rip off Ireland just people without a clue making decisions

Christ they paid that amount for that? Truly awful work for that kinda money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Went to have a look, but was just getting 500 errors ("Page could not be loaded"). Ah well. Maybe they're bringing the rest of the features live now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

http://www.lotto.ie/Good-Causes/maps/

they don't even have a google maps key

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

eh how the fook was €1 million paid for that site? It's just a standard db driven CMS . I thought with that price tag there was gonna be online gaming facilities and such.

Honest to god I could have knocked up that site in one day it's woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

That's quite a horrible new site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

kjt wrote: »
    That's quite a horrible new site!
    Yep, and ott on the javascript for my tastes.

Prizes and results without js - calendar display disappears, and there's no submit facility though the year and month selectors display. Also the data only seem to go back to September 1994 though the year selector goes back to 1988.

I think they need to completely rethink their approach to making results data available, from a marketing perspective the terms and conditions seem retrograde. They seem to be going by a portal mentality, get people to the site and keep them there, bar anyone else from showing results without prior agreement and make it awkward to access the data other than manually, that's the opposite to what their policy should be.

The goal of their site should not be becoming a popular destination, but to make customers lotto experience better and increase visibility. Make results data available via rss, make it so that every draw result has it's own url. Provide a code snippet so that people can include the latest results on their site/blog etc with a link back to lotto.ie.

I can't believe how stupid they are being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Flashus

my 4 yr old couldhave designed a better one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

And it's fecked. The site is not able to handle the The Millionaire Raffle result being displayed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

hah just saw that there. that is quite frankly utterly pathetic

• Advertisement

Yep, I have to agree.

I was going to post a while ago saying that licences for a clustered environment with a Oracle databases and all that could easily chew up a bit of that million over a few years, but it seems clear that this site is sitting on personal webserver in some over-paid consultant's bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Yeah rubbish.

Does anyone have the results because I cant get them off the site.

If thats what they are spending the cash on I think I had better start giving my money directly to Charity.

I never win anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the page wont load for me! site seems to be down!

this is a joke and a disgraceful joke at that.

Yeah took about a minute for it to respond to me there.

bug wrote: »
    Does anyone have the results because I cant get them off the site.

Someone posted the whole list in a thread on after hours.
    bug wrote: »
    If thats what they are spending the cash on I think I had better start giving my money directly to Charity.

In fairness, the lottery is as charitable as it gets, and I doubt you're buying tickets out of the goodness of your heart in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

eoin_s wrote: »
    Someone posted the whole list in a thread on after hours.

In fairness, the lottery is as charitable as it gets, and I doubt you're buying tickets out of the goodness of your heart in the first place!
    The only thing I've ever won is a kiss from Pat the Hat, from Pat's Chat. So my belief in charity far exceeds my luck. I remind myself of that each time I buy a ticket :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall seeing lotto.ie a while back and what I see now is different - grey background with a few results, no links or info - it cannot be for real, can it?

kbannon wrote: »
    I recall seeing lotto.ie a while back and what I see now is different - grey background with a few results, no links or info - it cannot be for real, can it?

I imagine that's the emergency page put up because the site shat itself this evening.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

eoin_s wrote: »
    I imagine that's the emergency page put up because the site shat itself this evening.
    paying 1mill and they need an emergency page like that? Not good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gemwol

If by accident you click less that six numbers in Check Your Lotto Numbers you will always get the following result

"Your Results

Find matches in Last 8 | Last 30 | All

Your wins in the previous 8 draws:

Sorry, we have found no matches. Please enter new numbers, or use the links above to search again."

So if you only click on 5 numbers or less and any of those numbers are a winning combination it will not show your prize. Why not have a condition built into the software that you have to choose six numbers or else instruct the user to correct their mistake.

Advertisement