Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band Of Brothers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Only half way through the second episode but Im certainly hooked anyway, loved David Schwimmers character, not in a rooting for him kind of way, just thought he was an excellent character. So brilliant and flawed, great casting there too. In general the cast has impressed me actually, some serious talent in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Would love to be watching this through for the first time all over again.......I envy you! An excellent watch, really really enjoyable.

The Pacific has its moments too, but Band of Brothers is riveting throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Only show I've seen come close was Generation War that was on RTE a while back.
    Generation Kill! Which is also good, like BoB in Iraq!
    Full of great quotes from Iceman:
    "Gentlemen we just captured an airfield... that was pretty f*ckin ninja..."

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Band of Brothers is simply an incredible watch. I try and watch it once a year. It's amazing with every watch.

I enjoyed The Pacific, but it's not a patch on Band of Brothers. I think, from an entertainment point of view, the reason BoB is a more enjoyable watch is in the names of the shows. With Band of Brother you get to know all the "brothers". You know their character and traits. With The Pacific you're not really identifying with the characters much as you don't really get to know them as well as you do with the BoB characters.

From a historical aspect though, what went on in The Pacific must have been a truly harrowing experience for those that were there. OK, yes, it's all a harrowing experience, but from watching The Pacific that's definitely something that stuck with me.

With BoB though you can feel the camaraderie. Definitely worth reading the book it's based on too! Wish I go travel back in time to my first watch of Band of Brothers, much the same way I feel about The Wire.

(Generation Kill is also a brilliant watch. Brilliant!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Theres also this... the longer uncut TV series version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Das-Boot-Series-Uncut-Version/dp/B0001NIYUO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Brilliant series. I'm gonna watch it again over Christmas. The acting, production and direction is astounding. The intros with the real veterans for each episode is a real nice touch. You'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭midajoh

Thanks for mentioning Generation War going to watch the first episode tonight,As for BoB i absolutely loved the show as being said i wish it was my first time all over :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Check this out after you've finished watching it. Some interesting stories of what happened to them during the war & afterwards.

Easy Company

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Probably the my favourite tv show ever. Absolutely fantastic.

Amazing score as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Fantastic show and probably my favorite ever! Have it on DVD, on my laptop and recorded on Sky+ :D think I'll start watching it again over Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

Right now it's £14.50 on Amazon for the blu-ray commemorative 6-Disc Tin Box Gift Set, which is the cheapest price so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003YCOIFY

Did 4 episodes tonight, am too tired to start another now though it is compelling viewing for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Penn wrote: »
    Usually rewatch it once or twice a year. It is absolutely brilliant. Can't say enough good things about it. Enjoy it, man!

The Pacific though, I wasn't too impressed by unfortunately. It's good and worth watching, but it just can't compare to BoB.

I'm the same I get through it once a year at lest. It's one of the best pieces of tv ever created. I slightly disagree about the Pacific it's not got the same instant impact in the first six episodes but if you watch it as a whole and take it as one piece of work it shows that those who were there faught not just a physical war( as in band of brothers) but a mental war that broke and damaged them more than bullets or shells ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

This TV show was one of the best. I think the fact that it was one series and had a begining middle and end stood to it. It didn't have to drag stories out and make each season about a particular battle etc.

Watched the first episode of the Pacific but just couldnt get into it. Not a patch on BoB.

The scene at the end of the 2nd episode (I think) where the camera start on Damien Lewis' face and then pans back and out of the aeroplane is stunning and probably my favourite scene of the whole series. Also loved Neal McDonagh's character.

An excellent mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It HAS to be watched on Blu Ray, it will absolutely blow you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have probably watched the series 5 times, absolutely love it. Just impulse bought that blu-ray tin set on amazon.. damn you op!

(Actually no, thanks OP! Cant bloody wait to watch it again over christmas now :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another here who'd watch it once a year or so. First thing I did on finally getting a large HD television was find a 1080p copy of it for a re-watch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Pacific was spoiled by the inclusion of the John Basilone story. It didn't mesh with the other two; it was an extremely atypical story and would have benefited from a separate treatment. Five episodes mostly focussing on Leckie and five on Sledge would have allowed them to get deeper into the characters than they did. I’ve read both of the (incredible) source books and they didn’t really do them justice. The loss of Ack-Ack (Captain Haldane) could have been much more powerful, for example. His death absolutely shattered the morale of his men and while they show it in the series, you don’t really feel it… probably because you won’t even really know who Ack Ack is.

The Pacific does have some fantastic episodes though – the ones focusing on the battles on Peleliu are harrowing; it really was hell on earth. The assault on the beach and crossing the airfield scenes are intense and from that perspective they’re as good if not better than any combat scenes in Band of Brothers.

Band of Brothers overall though is pretty near perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

kryogen wrote: »
    Missed out on this first time around and then due to all the hype and that since I was behind I just stayed away from it altogether. Avoided The Pacific then after since I wanted to watch Band of Brothers first.

Anyway, I digress, for whatever reason it has taken me this long to finally get around to watch it and I have to say, its brilliant so far. Didn't see a thread on it so apologies if there is one.

Anyone else watching it for the first time or watching it again even? Looking forward to getting stuck in over Christmas and seeing if it lives up to the hype

Thanks for this reminder - solved a gift issue - picked up the box set for €20 this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Excellent series. Must watch it again...warm fire and some BoB - always good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I think the big problem with the Pacific is that it was three seperate stories that intercrossed at some point; unlike Band of Brothers which was one continuous story. I still enjoyed the Pacific and own both tin box sets on blu-ray.

Ps. another recommendation for Generation Kill from me too.

Right......

I have just watched episode 9.

Harrowing.

Powerful tv, I wouldn't be one for blubbering but I was in tears there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Very sad :( pretty sure I shed a few tears too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What happened in that one?

Exceptional series, I've bought it for most people i know over the past few Christmasses. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

My favourite ever TV show. Still have Blood upon the risers stuck in my head 6 months after watching it last :pac:

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What happened in that one?

Exceptional series, I've bought it for most people i know over the past few Christmasses. :-D

Think its
    the discovery of the concentration camp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

God, yeah. That stuck with me for a while alright.

Mini Spoiler for Ep 9/10 for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

:D

That's one of the pleasant parts of the episode!

Seriously great tv. The acting is superb and the score perfectly compliments the horror you see on the screen.

There is humour too of course, not toward the end of episode 9 though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Must pick it up on blu-ray now. Really enjoyed it last time I watched the boxset (about 2 years back). Thought David Schwimmer was great in it also.

Advertisement