Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad manners to use first name

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm not Mr. Campbell, I'm Brendan Campbell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Shut up Ad. Get over it. Using 2nd names makes the person using it sound like your bitch. and you just want everyone to be subservient to you, dont you, Mr. harc?
    And shut up The-. Im not a fan of you helping out Ad either.
    +1
    your a good lad you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

huh???i thought this thread is just a joke and people are actually serious?

well...

when in official/working/letters stuffs,of course a Mr/Miss/Mrs will be more appropriate!

but if he/she is your friends,normally people wont do that,wont they?

but if people do call you with your first name...of course that would be only happens in some situations?like in work,meeting,restaurant(the waiter.manager)what's problem???

my conclusion is:

this thread is weird.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I must admit though, I never permit the Help to address me by my first name. That's why I usually keep a length of birch nearby in case of one of them tries to rise above its station.

I have some splendid birch to spare. If anyone wishes to have some, have your factor contact my factor to make the necessary arrangements. Now I must dash, I promised my nephew I'd shoot that damn Daschund for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Is that a bad thing?

I don't think so myself - it's just that I think it's one of the results of the Irish being very informal. Just an observation.

I do however think that there are some negative aspects to our lack of formality e.g. people being very casual about timing/arrangements, lack of etiquette in some situations/rituals where etiquette might be a necessary evil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Well bollix...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

adharc wrote: »
    I hate people I don't know calling me by my first name. This is prevalent by businesses and firms on the telephone. It is just bad manners. In France and germany you must know the person well before you can use tu or du. Calling a person one doesn't know by their first name is quite an invasion of their personal space.

You sound like one of these terribly annoying people who is 'offended' by just about anything. Get over your own self-importance. If you don't want anyone calling you by your first name then drop it, don't use it at all. It can sometimes be inappropriate to address someone by first name but only in a certain few situations. Really, have you nothing better to be worrying about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'll call anyone I don't know and who is likely to be somewhat older than myself Mr or Mrs until I get told otherwise. Some will, others won't. The parents of a guy I've know since 1977 have never told me to call them by their first names and so I never have, it's still Mr and Mrs Ryan when I meet them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

If in doubt, use Mr and Mrs. Personally I don't mind either, but for the sake of professionalism, I prefer addressing people as Mr/Mrs/Ms until told otherwise. If it comes to salespeople attempting to sell me anything, or unsolicited contact I prefer being addressed as Mr/Mrs. That sends out a message to them on a psychological / subliminal level that I am a bit annoyed, and that their contact is not really wanted. They'll back down, and there is a barrier put up. Its quite effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

In France and germany you must know the person well before you can use tu or du. Calling a person one doesn't know by their first name is quite an invasion of their personal space.

Move to France or Germany? Thats the culture and custom over there. In Ireland we call each other by our first names in pretty much all situations. thats the culture and custom here. I called Catherine Delahunt, Cathy once and she just smiled, called me by my first name and asked me to address her as Judge, she didn't get her knickers in a twist over it. If a circuit court Judge wearing a silly grey curly wig can take it in the freindly manor it's meant maybe you can detwist your knickers and do the same ehh sunshine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

op get over yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 78,317 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It it good manners and proper equiette not to call a person by thier first name unles invited to do so otherwise it is being over familiar.
    That first date isn't going to work out, is it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

I work on the phone a lot and if anyone ever said "Excuse me, I'd prefer if you addressed me as Mr.Jones." "in that case you can address me as Mr.Megatron!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would rather people called me by my first name. Why? Because it's my ****ing name! Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I hate people I don't know calling me by my first name. This is prevalent by businesses and firms on the telephone. It is just bad manners. In France and germany you must know the person well before you can use tu or du. Calling a person one doesn't know by their first name is quite an invasion of their personal space.

My, you must really think your special.:rolleyes: This is Ireland not France it's not such a convention here. If you don't like it move to France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I only like being called by my first name and do insist on it.

I'm the other way inclined; I hate someone addressing me by my surname if they don't prefix it with a title - I find it extremely rude. One of my old bosses used do it and my maths teacher in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year did too. The only time he ever didn't was a few years later when I was delivering a PC to his house to set up - the shoe was on the other foot. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm the other way inclined; I hate someone addressing me by my surname if they don't prefix it with a title - I find it extremely rude. One of my old bosses used do it and my maths teacher in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year did too. The only time he ever didn't was a few years later when I was delivering a PC to his house to set up - the shoe was on the other foot. ;)

"Well Edward its hard to set up a computer. All of these wires have to be glued in and soldered together than crimped and finally chewed"

"Right"

"Want to get me a cup of tea Edward?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Maximilian wrote: »
    I must admit though, I never permit the Help to address me by my first name. That's why I usually keep a length of birch nearby in case of one of them tries to rise above its station.

I have some splendid birch to spare. If anyone wishes to have some, have your factor contact my factor to make the necessary arrangements. Now I must dash, I promised my nephew I'd shoot that damn Daschund for him.

Maximilian one really must move with the times dear boy, try using a length of rubberised hose as due to it not leaving any markings the deserving skallywags of the beatings wont be able to cause any legal problems for you with the gentlemen of the law ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I teach so I obviously get addressed as Miss. It irritates me so much when the students call me Miss (not telling you my surname, you'll only use it!). I know the students are not allowed use my first name, but it still annoys me when I'm addressed so formally. (I'm only 22 and it makes me feel old) In the last few weeks I've supervised a lot of classes so now I have students from every year saying 'Hi Miss....' whenever I leave the staff room.

A few of the other student teachers who attended the school still sometimes address the teachers who taught them as Miss or Mrs which I find strange. I call them all by their first names. Actually, I don't know most of their surnames. I was telling a student to go see a teacher and I said, 'Go see Mr........Jeff.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would be handy having a PhD just to be able to say "That's Dr. Midnight to you" for all those smarmy cold calling salespersons

makes it worse when they are foreign because you know using first names is frowned upon over there

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Venom wrote: »
    Maximilian one really must move with the times dear boy, try using a length of rubberised hose as due to it not leaving any markings the deserving skallywags of the beatings wont be able to cause any legal problems for you with the gentlemen of the law ;)

Gads, the last time I went near the help with rubber I almost got divorced when the Countess found the coathanger. I'll stick with the birch dear chap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hate everything that Mr. / Mrs. (Actually judging by his / her posting its a Mizz) Harc has said so far on Boards. I do not respect his wishes to be referred to by his 2nd name. He has insulted me once, and for a Doctor like me. (Thats DOCTOR Mr. / Mrs. / Mizz Harc, Not SLUG) that is once too many. Prepare to be flamed back to the stone age, back in pre-flame times when both fire and creative insults were a rare commodity thus providing you with little ability to return the favour I am going to give you of teaching you a fine lesson in etiquette.

I'd rather actually live inside the feverish syphilitic nightmares of a near-deceased hairless rat (using that machine from the Cell that they invented to get Vince Vaughn laid) for a week than ever converse with a person as rude as you again.
    I bid you farewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I was on the phone to Virgin Media this afternoon trying to rectify their latest f**k up and the automaton I spoke to asked if it was alright to call me by my first name. I said yes. I'm not particularly arsed about that sort of stuff. One thing I do notice is this. I am a guy in my mid twenties but I wear a suit to work, usually push the boat out and stick on the cufflinks, proper overcoat and all. If I go into a bar dressed like that after work on a Friday I get called Sir without fail. If I go into the same bar on Saturday evening wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a pair of Adidas I get called "mate". I don't mind either really - just making the observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

For me, it depends on manner, and on context.

I don't like gardai calling me by my first name, because I'm not invited to call them by their first name, and it feels like a smirky power trip.

I don't mind tech support calling me by my first name, as I always ask for their name too, so both of us are using each other's names.

Working-class people used to be more traditional and formal; when I lived in inner-city Dublin, the women all called each other Mrs and surname and referred to each other as such, unless they were *very* close friends, or relatives.

And in certain trades people get terribly up themselves about titles - doctors, for instance.

One thing I can't stand: men who call women 'love' or 'chicken', etc. There *was* a nice polite lad directing the traffic and minding security in one of my local supermarkets, but he's developed the bad habit of calling women 'love' and men 'boss'. I notice that people are actually starting to avoid parking there now, so it must irritate others too!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Righhhhhht....

personally I much prefer it when people call me by my first name - makes a situation seems less formal and friendlier(I hate formal situations lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My my what a grovelly liittle slug you are. You probably don't know who your mother is. Go snort some more coke, it can only improve your degenerated brain cells. This would be an improvement.

Listen up Harry or whatever your name is, thats not how we endear ourselves to other boardies around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

luckat wrote: »

One thing I can't stand: men who call women 'love' or 'chicken', etc. There *was* a nice polite lad directing the traffic and minding security in one of my local supermarkets, but he's developed the bad habit of calling women 'love' and men 'boss'. I notice that people are actually starting to avoid parking there now, so it must irritate others too!
    I hate that 'love' thing as well.

I used to get it all the time when my hair was longer... I was never sure what to be offended at more... the fact they got my gender wrong or their use of casual sexism.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hate it when people look at me directly. They should stare at the floor directly to my left, not my right. If people knew their place this world would be a better place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would go one step further. Its bad manors to use my first name to address me and its almost as bad to use Mr.(insert surname here). I get highly offended if I am addressed in either of those ways and sometimes it takes me up to a week to get over it.

I insist that everyone address me by my hair color or not at all.

Advertisement