Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hilux, Navara, Isuzu D-Max or L200

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

coolbeans wrote: »
    It definitely was a 90 pick-up and I specifically looked at the rear suspension as a result of a previous post. Do they use coils in combination with leaf springs? It looked pretty new to me but it was zooming down the N11 so I can't be sure. Regardless, Defender is out.
    If coils are used at the back though doesn't that compromise load capacity? The hilux is an all new design and Toyota used medieval leafs springs at the rear because it was felt coils wouldn't be up to the job. I don't understand why LR would use coils on pick-up trucks...
    I've worked on (and under) more 90/110/Defenders than might be considered healthy and attended a good number of Land Rover shows in the U.K., and I've never seen or heard of any of them with a leaf spring anywhere in the suspension; I'm not discounting the possibility entirely though, as their Special Vehicles section and many dedicated (deluded?) enthusiasts have done strange things with them over the years.
    I'd love to see that 90 though, just to see what the rationale was for fitting leaf springs.

Are you sure it wasn't a rear trailing arm you saw?
    That's a straight bar/tube that runs from approx. half way along the chassis (on a 90) back to the bottom of the rear axle; two of these and an upper a-frame locate the rear axle.

At the risk of being accused of rampant fanboyism (:rolleyes:), here is some load capacity/towing weight data for various models (the older 'classic' ones)-
    90 Pick-up: Kerb Weight: 1690kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 2550kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 3500kg
    110 Pick-up: Kerb Weight: 1880kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 3050kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 3500kg
    130 Pick-up: Kerb Weight: 2086kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 3500kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 3500kg
    4 wheeled trailers with coupled brakes can go to 4000kg on all models.

Hilux: Kerb Weight: 1795kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 2715kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 2550kg

The 110 is a bit heavier than the Hilux, but it can legally carry a full 1/4 tonne more, and tow almost a tonne more.
    Coils look plenty up to the job there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

coolbeans wrote: »
    Well Bob it's quite simple. While i agree that the 'cruiser is more comfortable etc it all amounts to value for money. Thnaks to the tax laws in Ireland if the father wants one he'll end up spending the same amount of money, perhaps more, on what is essentially a glorified van(no seats in the back). At least double cab pick-ups have the ability to carry five people in safety:)

Re the 3.0 Isuzu. I'm shocked that your mechanic pal didn't realise that the early versions of that engine were probably the worst to ever come out of Japan.

didnt think the landcruiser was all that much more expensive than a crewcab hilux , with regard the ability to carry more passengers in a hilux , you can carry more people than in a landcruiser but not exactly in comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Invincible

irish_bob wrote: »
    didnt think the landcruiser was all that much more expensive than a crewcab hilux , with regard the ability to carry more passengers in a hilux , you can carry more people than in a landcruiser but not exactly in comfort

Hi Bob,how do you make out that a Landcruiser is not much more expensive than a Hi-lux ? I bet a passenger Landcruiser costs alot more than a Hi-lux invincible(circa 40000 euro)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Invincible wrote: »
    Hi Bob,how do you make out that a Landcruiser is not much more expensive than a Hi-lux ? I bet a passenger Landcruiser costs alot more than a Hi-lux invincible(circa 40000 euro)!

was talking about the landcruiser comercial which is 38k , the hilux crew cab is at least 35 k

the purpose of buying this hilux is for your dads farm so the cruiser would be an obvious option in comercial form
    those who buy hilux , do so with the intention of buying something for there business , a crewcab is just a 4wd for work which happens to have a 2nd row of seats , very few ventur out to buy a crewcab with the intention of using it as there only car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Rovi wrote: »
    I've worked on (and under) more 90/110/Defenders than might be considered healthy and attended a good number of Land Rover shows in the U.K., and I've never seen or heard of any of them with a leaf spring anywhere in the suspension; I'm not discounting the possibility entirely though, as their Special Vehicles section and many dedicated (deluded?) enthusiasts have done strange things with them over the years.
    I'd love to see that 90 though, just to see what the rationale was for fitting leaf springs.

That's a straight bar/tube that runs from approx. half way along the chassis (on a 90) back to the bottom of the rear axle; two of these and an upper a-frame locate the rear axle.

At the risk of being accused of rampant fanboyism (:rolleyes:), here is some load capacity/towing weight data for various models (the older 'classic' ones)-
    90 Pick-up: Kerb Weight: 1690kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 2550kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 3500kg
    110 Pick-up: Kerb Weight: 1880kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 3050kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 3500kg
    130 Pick-up: Kerb Weight: 2086kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 3500kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 3500kg

Hilux: Kerb Weight: 1795kg, Gross Vehicle Weight: 2715kg, Towing Weight (braked trailer): 2550kg

The 110 is a bit heavier than the Hilux, but it can legally carry a full 1/4 tonne more, and tow almost a tonne more.

You obviously know your stuff but I did see a 90 that looked a lot younger than the 1983/4 variants. Anyway as I said I can't be certain of its vintage so we'll leave it at that. It definitely had rear leafs though...I know what a trailing arm looks like but these were leafs.

The 'cruiser is just bad value for money for what is essentially, and I know I've said this before, a glorified van in commercial form. For approximately the same money he'll be able to get a Hilux with options and he'll be able to carry more than one passenger. This will be his sole mode of transport.

Oh yeah, just for the record; drove a d-max yesterday. Not a cobra version but it felt pretty primitive compared to the new generation of pick-ups out now. I'd say it'd be downright lethal in the wet especially with those low-profile tyres and big alloys you see on the cobras. No thanks.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭emaherx

Rovi wrote: »

There is a heavy duty 110 and 130 model with leaf spring rear suspension.
    I have a 2003 td5 defender 110 and in the brocher of the time there was a heavy duty option with leaf springs. I'm pretty sure the 90 did not have the option though.

I think the heavy duty models all have flat beds rather than pickups.
    Don't know if there is the same options in the new model.

Advertisement