Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hilux, Navara, Isuzu D-Max or L200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Because Toyota GB and Toyota Ireland are different companies. SR5 is pretty much the same as HL3. Drove the invincible, some nice extras, most could be fitted aftermarket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id go for the d max

id go for the d max

On what basis?

i always think isuzus look well even when there old. just saw an old 99 sort of goldish trooper the other day with a bull bar and near it was a pajero. the trooper looked 100 times better in my opinion. i never liked toyotas i always thought they were kind of boring. i also heard the new isuzus have very good engines in them. i think the nissans date kind of fast and dont look as good when there older. i love the d max it looks like this big hummer sort of a jeep. so on that basis id go for the d-max

It's a bad idea to buy a pickup based on it's looks.
    I've driven all the pickups listed here, and the Dmax is behind the Hilux and Navara in pretty much every respect.
    D-Max only looks acceptable because of the Cobra kit IMO.

• Advertisement

well im mu opinion looks is the second most important factor after reliability. you dont want a jeep that you will have for maby 10 years and hate the sight of it every morning you look at it.

For a pickup, I'd take comfort, off road ability, and on road handling before looks.

im not sure about the d max but in the troopers i find them to be very good off road and very comfortable- i only had a friends once when going to the ploughing match

Not to appear condacending, but you'd really have to drive a few to be in a position to recommend one over another. The OP is looking for something to work on a farm, so choosing a pickup on the basis of how it looks or on how an entirely different product from the same company drives isn't a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

coolbeans wrote: »
    l'd just like to say that i'm against large 4x4s as an accessory i.e. if you don't need one in the first place for your job, (serious) hobby or whatever.
    Not being a troll here, but since when did you have to have a reason to buy something here ? I thought you could go buy what you like / can afford, that we are living in a "free" democracy or something !!!
    If someone wants to buy a 4x4 then good luck to them, I don't see any reason whatsoever that they should have to justify it to anyone.

We pay our taxes on everything, and if someone wants to pay yet more taxes on purchasing a 4x4, just cos they want one, rather than have to have one, then whats the problem ?

Are we now living in a society where each and every purchase has to be justified ? And to whom do we justify each and every purchase ?
    Who has the say on this, who is the oracle that we turn to ?

It's all bull !

I drive a very nice Ford Ranger XLT, got full leather interior fitted, and everything else I could throw at it, I don't "need" it, the Hiace did me fine!

I don't drive off road, never did, never will, so should I bring this tasty Ranger around to our local Green party rep and seek permission and forgiveness for my sins ?
    Will I beg on bended knees ?
    Do I lie awake at night, repenting my sins to the Green folk ?
    Will I replace it with a bicycle and trailer ?
    Do I care one iota about what other people think ?
    No :-)

Once we bowed down to the priest, now we bow down to some so called "green guru" , that would have us all in sack cloths eating lentils !
    You see how quickly the greens sold out for a bit of power, they are interested in one thing only , themselves .

I am interested in one thing only, me :-)

• Advertisement

how does this help the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Probably doesn't help the OP but I agree with the sentiments of the rant anyway!

As for the choices, I believe the D-Max would not be as good off road as the L200 or Hilux. A jeep with 20" wheels is not ment for off road!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭emaherx

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Not being a troll here, but since when did you have to have a reason to buy something here ? I thought you could go buy what you like / can afford, that we are living in a "free" democracy or something !!!
    If someone wants to buy a 4X4 then good luck to them, I don't see any reason whatsoever that they should have to justify it to anyone.

We pay our taxes on everything, and if someone wants to pay yet more taxes on purchasing a 4X4, just cos they want one, rather than have to have one, then whats the problem ?

Are we now living in a society where each and every purchase has to be justified ? And to whom do we justify each and every purchase ?
    Who has the say on this, who is the oracle that we turn to ?

It's all bull !

I drive a very nice Ford Ranger XLT, got full leather interior fitted, and everything else I could throw at it, I don't "need" it, the Hiace did me fine!

I don't drive off road, never did, never will, so should I bring this tasty Ranger around to our local Green party rep and seek permission and forgiveness for my sins ?
    Will I beg on bended knees ?
    Do I lie awake at night, repenting my sins to the Green folk ?
    Will I replace it with a bicycle and trailer ?
    Do I care one iota about what other people think ?
    No :-)

Once we bowed down to the priest, now we bow down to some so called "green guru" , that would have us all in sack cloths eating lentils !
    You see how quickly the greens sold out for a bit of power, they are interested in one thing only , themselves .

I am interested in one thing only, me :-)

Shh! be quite you'll attract the anti 4X4 Brigade!
    Everyone on this thread needs a 4X4 OK. ;)

Although I don't disagree with your rant, the last thread based on who needs a 4x4 was locked because it was going around in pointless circles and you will never change the opinion of any one in that argument.

Any way you replaced a van with a pick up, so you obviously require a large commercial vehicle. I don't think the fact that it is a 4X4 is going to make it much more evil than a Hiace.
    well im mu opinion looks is the second most important factor after reliability. you dont want a jeep that you will have for maby 10 years and hate the sight of it every morning you look at it.

This is a thread about a vehicle required for farming, so looks are probably way down the list of requirements. Sure enough the DMAX can look cool but its not a Farmers jeep, although the Trooper on the other hand is, but its not a pickup.

In my opinuion only the Hilux or Defender cut it as farm pickups and the Defender was already ruled out by OP because of maintance requirements and lack of comfort. So I'd say go for the Hilux 2.5 (more than enough pull in this) with Difflock.

Tara Mines in Navan only use Defender and Hilux pickups as crew carriers under ground, driving on solid rock and spend much of their time with the axels submerged under water.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    how does this help the OP?
    It does not help the OP in the least bit!
    But he did start his post with a statement that did kinda annoy me a little, as you could see :-)

Anyway to the OP, sorry for my intervention, and good luck with your purchase :-)

And to keep the green lobby happy, I got the bus to and from town tonight!!!

astraboy wrote: »
    Probably doesn't help the OP but I agree with the sentiments of the rant anyway!

As for the choices, I believe the D-Max would not be as good off road as the L200 or Hilux. A jeep with 20" wheels is not ment for off road!

D-Max doesn't come from factory with 20" wheels. They just get added on in Ireland if requested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Was driving my brother in laws '08 Mazda BT50 crew cab at the week end.
    Wasn't the worst thing in the world, was easy to drive and the turbo diesel engine was willing.
    Don't like crew cabs but if you must then I suppose you can add this to the list.
    Get the feeling the Mazda dealers would be happy to get sales of a crew cab as the don't seem to sell in great numbers.

The old model B2500 is antiquated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

why not go for a landcruiser , there almost as tough as a defender and way more reliable aswell as more comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Defender is definitely out I'm afraid. While they're undoubtedly the best of the bunch in the rough stuff that does come at a price. The old man specified some level of comfort and while this is relative especially when we're talking about cart sprung pick-ups the Landie comes dead last in this regard. Appreciate the posts though.

Re the definition of several tonnes; well, and don't shoot the messenger now, he'll be carrying the legal weight limit (and more probably) on a braked Dooley trailer which is basically a heavier reinforced version of the Ifor-Williams.

4x4 transfer switch - I've also heard of problems with all off roaders that use an electronic switch rather than an old fashioned in car gear lever. He'll be rightly pissed if the four wheel drive goes so that may be a big factor. The hilux is the only one as far as I know with an in cab gear stick instead of a switch. This could just swing it. Comments on any off the above??

The defender has coil springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I had the same dilemma and chose a brand new Navara LE over any of the others. It should be delivered in the next couple of weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

The new L200's look great, they're rare so turn heads, they have a better turning radius and more legroom than the others, and the interior is very modern.... but thats it full stop. I have had my a year this week, the injector valve has gone twice, the air flow sensor went last week, each model have the wrong spring bushings which meant each one is to be recalled but Mitsubishi will just let you work that out on your own... everytime i drive it i regret buying it... Hilux all the way i say!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Land rovers are designed by arab shieks, i'm convinced of it... never spotted one underneath yet that wasnt leaking oil... Glorified tractors.
    Worked in an isuzu dealership, would only ever see the 3.1 troopers once a year for test and a service, brilliant jeeps. 3.0... never have i ever seen such a bucket of sh1te in all my life..
    Been telling a fellow mechanic for years what heaps they were and he rang me this eve to tell me he'd got 1 fierce cheap but now it wont take throttle when cold. Avoid like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Invincible

commited wrote: »
    I had the same dilemma and chose a brand new Navara LE over any of the others. It should be delivered in the next couple of weeks :)

I heard a builder saying,he had the last model Navara and it was geared way better than the new model he has now,he reckons that when he has a trailer attached and has to negotiate a slight hill,if he does'nt give it throttle it'll conk out on him,very dissapointed compared to his older version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

slideways wrote: »
    Land rovers are designed by arab shieks, i'm convinced of it... never spotted one underneath yet that wasnt leaking oil... Glorified tractors.
    Worked in an isuzu dealership, would only ever see the 3.1 troopers once a year for test and a service, brilliant jeeps. 3.0... never have i ever seen such a bucket of sh1te in all my life..
    Been telling a fellow mechanic for years what heaps they were and he rang me this eve to tell me he'd got 1 fierce cheap but now it wont take throttle when cold. Avoid like the plague

im confused , you start out condemming landrovers then move on to isuzu

which should we avoid like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

irish_bob wrote: »
    why not go for a landcruiser , there almost as tough as a defender and way more reliable aswell as more comfortable

Well Bob it's quite simple. While i agree that the 'cruiser is more comfortable etc it all amounts to value for money. Thnaks to the tax laws in Ireland if the father wants one he'll end up spending the same amount of money, perhaps more, on what is essentially a glorified van(no seats in the back). At least double cab pick-ups have the ability to carry five people in safety:)

Re the 3.0 Isuzu. I'm shocked that your mechanic pal didn't realise that the early versions of that engine were probably the worst to ever come out of Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

Just a quick note on the Navara,

A friend of mine runs his own business, he didn't need a 4x4 really, a transit would have done him, but he bought the Nissan for the 5 seats and bit of bling factor.

He drives it exclusively on the road but after 28,000 miles it is already on its second clutch and he is now waiting for some drive shafts to be replaced.

He wishes now he had stuck with a van, the Almera the garage gave him isn't really bling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Early version or late they are the worst designed engine...
    Injectors , pumps, flywheels, turbos, filling radiators with diesel, filling sumps with diesel.
    The rest of the jeep is still very reliable and will need little maintanence.
    @ moe, not sure where the confusion comes from, i was just giving advice what to stay away from
    TBH the dmax does not seem to suffer any majpr probs from the ones that were sold out of the garage while i worked there. Some cracked intercooler pipes but there was a recall and a modified bracket fitted.
    Have said before that i drove a mine spec hilux ute in oz for a while and they got outragous abuse for 18 hours a day. Never gave a moments bother. Also drove the real land cruiser with the 6cyl diesel, go anywhere but very tractor like!

groupb wrote: »
    The defender has coil springs.

It's got cart/leaf springs at the back like all pick-ups. I just checked one a half hour ago while out jogging. Anyway it's an ancient design; I think it's safe to assume that any of of the others would be more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's got cart/leaf springs at the back like all pick-ups. I just checked one a half hour ago while out jogging. Anyway it's an ancient design; I think it's safe to assume that any of of the others would be more comfortable.
    All models of the 90/110/Defender (introduced 1983/4) have always had coil springs all round.
    Were you looking at a Series model (ceased production 1983/4, except for military contracts), or perhaps a Santana, by any chance?
    Incidentally, the Santanas have parabolic leaf springs, which are a huge technological leap forward from the old 'cart' springs and are comparable to coils for ride/articulation.

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    All models of the 90/110/Defender (introduced 1983/4) have always had coil springs all round.
    Were you looking at a Series model (ceased production 1983/4, except for military contracts), or perhaps a Santana, by any chance?
    Incidentally, the Santanas have parabolic leaf springs, which are a huge technological leap forward from the old 'cart' springs and are comparable to coils for ride/articulation.

It definitely was a 90 pick-up and I specifically looked at the rear suspension as a result of a previous post. Do they use coils in combination with leaf springs? It looked pretty new to me but it was zooming down the N11 so I can't be sure. Regardless, Defender is out.
    If coils are used at the back though doesn't that compromise load capacity? The hilux is an all new design and Toyota used medieval leafs springs at the rear because it was felt coils wouldn't be up to the job. I don't understand why LR would use coils on pick-up trucks...

Advertisement