Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Men Y/N?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Im 5'2'' so everyones tall to me anyways! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

are men put off by tall girls?? im 5ft 11 but always wear heels on a night out so im over 6ft!! are men intimidated by girls if they are taller??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Couldn't date a guy shorter than me, I'd feel silly towering over him walking down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Iv said it in a similar post previously, im 5ft9 in me feet and OH is about 5ft7. At the start i didn't like wearing heels when i was with him but now i couldn't care less, the higher the better! :) I would say in general and on the whole, i am often attracted to guys that are a bit shorter than me, i love their sparkle. Dont like short stocky guys though, they need to be smaller in stature to match their height.... Its hard to explain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

islander35 wrote: »
    are men put off by tall girls?? im 5ft 11 but always wear heels on a night out so im over 6ft!! are men intimidated by girls if they are taller??
    Yes most men are.Theres a whole thread about it over in BGRH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

short guy...No,nah never just not happening onless i was short too o_O
    is that discrimanting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

short guy...No,nah never just not happening onless i was short too o_O
    is that discrimanting?

You better be careful or someone will start a campaign for equal heights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kapama

I am from south africa ori and i am 6 feet 3 back home there is a lot of guys taller than me here in ireland not so easy.Guys are normaly intimadated if they see a tall girl dont know why ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

Kazobel wrote: »
    You better be careful or someone will start a campaign for equal heights!

Hahaha very good indeed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

kapama wrote: »
    I am from south africa ori and i am 6 feet 3 back home there is a lot of guys taller than me here in ireland not so easy.Guys are normaly intimadated if they see a tall girl dont know why ??

the average height of Irish males is 176cm so 5'9 and the average height of south african males is just 1cm taller so roughly 5'9.5, there are loads more males in south africa thats why they seem to be taller but in reality that is not the case http://www.muziqpakistan.com/board/index.php?showtopic=63115&mode=threaded

ireland is one of the few countries on planet earth to ever have a legit barefoot person who was 8ft+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was walking down the street today in my doc martens (6'1) with a friend (5'10) when a woman passed by who was 6'3 at least (might have been wearing high heels though)

I was just like WOAH!.

If a tall girl is in proportion to the rest of her body she is most likely a real stunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

I would be freaked out by a girl taller than me. Im 6'4'' I have been with a few short girls of late 5'2-5'4. Its funny when they take the heels off. Its like they are a different person :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Has anyone done any research about this?

I'm fairly convinced that general population height is down to diet and the socio-economic position of a country.
    I could be wrong though. I've seen a fair few tall people from third world countries, but they may have been the exception, rather than the rule.

Also, isn't the some place (indian ocean area) where all the natives are short and fat and fatter people are found more attractive?
    Or maybe I'll just take this to huge manatees.

The height of our parents generation of Irish and before, who grew up in food poverty.
    Their height has definitely been stunted, so I would be dubious about the 5ft 9 1/2 average in the pakistani link.
    But I think genetics also play a part, for example in Roscommon where outbreed is still discouraged. I would find it hard to spot a man taller than me. And I'm not tall 5ft 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm going to be honest and say I generally don't find taller women attractive. With that said I'm only 5'06".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm 6'4" and weigh 17 stone.. i was 19, but lost it over the christmas, anyhow i was "with" a woman that was taller than me.. she was also bigger than me too, but i blame substance abuse for my situation at the time to place me in the path of the beast.

I generally find tall women really attractive, but i like small ones too.

I actually like dwaf women too, merely for my own ego, because when my penis is in their hands, it looks huge...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Terry wrote: »

I'm fairly convinced that general population height is down to diet and the socio-economic position of a country.
    I could be wrong though. I've seen a fair few tall people from third world countries, but they may have been the exception, rather than the rule.

Also, isn't the some place (indian ocean area) where all the natives are short and fat and fatter people are found more attractive?
    Or maybe I'll just take this to huge manatees.

I think you might have a point.

Irish people in the 19th century had a reputation as tall, strong people due to their diet as I explained above.
    Diet can definetely stunt your growth.

I think the fact people view fat people as attractive in some cultures is down to survival. Back in olden days, being fat and pale was a status sign as it meant you didn't need to do manual labour, whereas now being tanned and fit is a status symbol.

In the Gael Thucht one guy had a tabloid article which said that men find fat women far more attractive when their hungry. When they are full they are less likely to find them attractive.

All comes back to the idea that when your hungry you see someone fat as a sign of wealth and security.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moonbaby wrote: »
    The height of our parents generation of Irish and before, who grew up in food poverty.
    Their height has definitely been stunted, so I would be dubious about the 5ft 9 1/2 average in the pakistani link.
    But I think genetics also play a part, for example in Roscommon where outbreed is still discouraged. I would find it hard to spot a man taller than me. And I'm not tall 5ft 9.
    I think you might have a point.

Irish people in the 19th century had a reputation as tall, strong people due to their diet as I explained above.
    Diet can definetely stunt your growth.

I think the fact people view fat people as attractive in some cultures is down to survival. Back in olden days, being fat and pale was a status sign as it meant you didn't need to do manual labour, whereas now being tanned and fit is a status symbol.

In the Gael Thucht one guy had a tabloid article which said that men find fat women far more attractive when their hungry. When they are full they are less likely to find them attractive.

All comes back to the idea that when your hungry you see someone fat as a sign of wealth and security.

See, here's the thing. The reason I asked if anyone had done any research is because of the height variables in my own family..
    My father was 5'8", my mother was ~5'4".
    The same applied to their parents, with the exception of my father's father. He was over six foot.

All my father's brothers are around the 5'9" mark, but some of their kids are over six foot. Well, two or three of them, out of about 15.

My parents and their siblings were all born between the late 1920's and early 40's. Not one of them was above average height.

Wait, sorry. I have one uncle on my fathers side who is about 5'10", but that's the tallest.

Were they below average because of the economic situation at the time?
    Was it genetics insofar as my grandmother had stronger genes?
    BTW, I look nothing like my parents, but strongly resemble my grandfather on my father's side. Does this mean it skipped a generation?
    Christ, I've seen pictures of him (he was the only grandparent I ever met, but he died whn I was young and the others were dead before I was born), and I even carry myself in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I'm about 5' 10" - so not short. Dont like girls taller then me tho. Saying that tho, my girlfriend is about I'd say half an inch taller then me if even and I do catch myself feeling uncomfortable sometimes for a split second before I cop on. Weird but thats the way it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I once worked with an Anthropologist who claimed that build was a direct result of nutrition and nothing else. Not convinced.

On the original topic - anyone seen a pic of Bernie Ecclestone (5' nothing) and his wife (6' everything) looks strange.

I'm 5'10'' and I've had GFs shorter and taller than me, doesn't bother me in the least TBH.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »

i have done a bit of research on this and that assessment seems to be spot on. Countries with the highest standard of living have on average the tallest people

Moonbaby wrote:

not sure where in roscommon you are looking :), 3 of the tallest gaelic footballers in Ireland play for roscommon and Michael Finneran who is at least 6'5 looks like a giant on the field, there are lots of tall roscommon men. In fact the national media always label roscommon as a big physical team, a claim which is untrue but anyway :cool:

the 5'9 average in Ireland is correct, i have a number of other articles which say the average height of males in ireland is 5'10, the average height of males on planet earth is 5'9.

When i was in college out of 33 guys, many were taller than me (barefoot just over 5'11), a few hitting the 6'5-6'6 mark, the average height though would have been around 5'11

your parents height has very little to do with your height, both my parents are just 5'3 yet me and my brother are touching the 6ft mark

rossie1977 wrote: »
    not sure where in roscommon you are looking :), 3 of the tallest gaelic footballers in Ireland play for roscommon and Michael Finneran who is at least 6'5 looks like a giant on the field, there are lots of tall roscommon men. In fact the national media always label roscommon as a big physical team, a claim which is untrue but anyway :cool:

the 5'9 average in Ireland is correct, i have a number of other articles which say the average height of males in ireland is 5'10, the average height of males on planet earth is 5'9.

Doesn't inbreding increase the risk of mutations?

GAA players height are grossly and infamously exaggerated.

Your articles are meaningless to me, unless you can show that the information was recorded in a reliable fashion.
    Irish optimism always shines through in surveys wasn't there one last year where they discovered we think we are the most health aware people in Europe or some such.
    Besides alot of people either don't know their height or they simply aren't the height they think they are.
    Your link has Poles on average 1cm shorter than us. I can't say I have ever seen a Polish runt, whereas a sizable proportion of our population clearly fall in that catagory.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Doesn't inbreding increase the risk of mutations?

inbreding in the republic?? maybe in places like the falls roads and the shankill but in the republic. I can't speak for anybody else but my dad is from donegal and my mother is from roscommon, does that count as inbreding??

Haven't the royal family in england been inbreding for years, didn't seem to affect prince william and harry in the height stakes.
    GAA players height are grossly and infamously exaggerated.

evidence of this because that is simply not the case from my experiences. Grossly exaggerated would suggest 5-6" inflations :), i went to college with numerous gaa players whom i saw every day or at least every other day up close, mayo's james gill and trevor mortimer, roscommon's stephen lohan, westmeath's fergal wilson and galways michael meehan and loads more i have forgot and all were at or very near their gaa listings. i have met tons of gaa players in other situations guys like liam mchale (who is every bit the 6'5 the gaa said he was), Dermot early etc etc
    Your link has Poles on average 1cm shorter than us. I can't say I have ever seen a Polish runt, whereas a sizable proportion of our population clearly fall in that catagory.

how do you define a runt and how many poles have you met?? i have met really short dutch guys, there are lots of 7ft+ chinese guys e.g yao ming is 7'6, sun ming ming (no relation is 7'9)

of course there will be lots of short irish guys, people also shrink as they get older, once you reach 30 you begin to shrink slowly and you will likely have lost up to 3" by the time you reach 80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

islander35 wrote: »

Certainly not all lads, as I've said, I wouldn't particularly care. It's more about the attitude than the altitude.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i have done a bit of research on this and that assessment seems to be spot on. Countries with the highest standard of living have on average the tallest people

Great, im 6'4, i can thank bertie ahern for that - and i thought mammy and daddy had a say in it :)

Yes, while there are studies that do indicate that improved diet leads to better growth, the biggest factor in determining a childs growth and height is their genetic make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

, once you reach 30 you begin to shrink slowly and you will likely have lost up to 3" by the time you reach 80

ah f**k :(

Advertisement