Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

black and tan ice cream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Oh no. 800 years. Quick. Get that post deleted.

Fúcking revisionists make me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

daveirl wrote: »

Stout and Smithwicks here in Galway...

Where's the controversy? Yanks have been asking for a drink of this name since I started working in a pub back in 2000. Having a drink named after them is ok but ice cream is out of bounds???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's ironic that, after all of the bloodshed and the efforts of our ancestors, all those years ago, Ireland is still run by a bunch of ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

toiletduck wrote: »
    Stout and Smithwicks here in Galway...

Where's the controversy? Yanks have been asking for a drink of this name since I started working in a pub back in 2000. Having a drink named after them is ok but ice cream is out of bounds???
    It wasnt named after them it was named after the colour of the drinks being mixed.

This is an old thing that happened a couple of years ago. They brought out the Ice Cream and there was some complaining from everybody , it made it into the paper. B&J apolagised and changed it to a Dublin Mud Slide .

cooperguy wrote: »
    It wasnt named after them it was named after the colour of the drinks being mixed.

Yeah i phrased that badly. But wasn't the ice-cream named after the drink? Still failing to see why people got worked up about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Ben and Jerrys launched the ice cream flavour to celebrate St Patrick's Day, which is really bizarre. It is like launching Nazi flavoured ice cream to celebrate honnika.

Ben and Jerry's say the ice cream is named after the drink. The drink was around before the paras, but it originated in England - most Irish people haven't even heard of it. So it doesn't make sense to launch an ice cream flavour of it for Patrick's Day. It's a demonstration of extreme ignorance. I suspect someone along the line was taking the p!ss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

pwd wrote: »
    Ben and Jerrys launched the ice cream flavour to celebrate St Patrick's Day, which is really bizarre. It is like launching Nazi flavoured ice cream to celebrate honnika.

Quality post :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I mis-spell words all the time - and its very rarely I point other peoples typos out but ; honnika = Hanukkah

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

ejmaztec wrote: »
    "Alamo"

Vanilla Ice-cream, blood-red Strawberry syrup and a Mexican Chilli stuck in the top.

That acutally sounds kinda tasty. I tried chilli chocolates and they were goood!!:p
    Terry wrote: »
    Tastes like the hymen blood of 20 virgins with a hint of infidel.

Ah jaysus! Ewwwwwwww!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

This is an old thing that happened a couple of years ago. They brought out the Ice Cream and there was some complaining from everybody , it made it into the paper. B&J apolagised and changed it to a Dublin Mud Slide .
    No, that's a completely different flavour. Baileys-like. And yum.

most Irish people haven't even heard of it.

Really? *mild surprise*

Fossil Fuels nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

bloody sundae

strawberry Ice cream with strawberry sauce and chopped strawberries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Tastes like the hymen blood of 20 virgins with a hint of infidel.
    Toots85 wrote: »

Ah jaysus! Ewwwwwwww!!:eek:

Don't knock it til you've tried it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lirange wrote: »
    Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Em, whatever you're into!! Perhaps you'd enjoy: Monthly Visitor - strawberry icecream with strawberry syrup and a wad of cotton wool on the top.

Oh Lord, I've just lost all my self respect. :(

Why wasn't I informed of this?? To the shops......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

You know me too well toots.

Although I'm not sure where you get strawberry from a sheep's crunt.

Pickled radishes and artichokes more like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

daveirl wrote: »

You learn about it in Junior Cert. History Class.

At least that's where I heard about it, it was in the history book we had. I didn't do history for the leaving so it had to be the Junior Cert.

black & tan ice cream.. is it served with green guinness?????
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"Leinster House"

Sour Vanilla ice-cream, Waterford Glass splinters - all wrapped in a brown envelope cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Nothing pisses me off more than Irish people who try to get others to forget what happened in this country while we were under British rule.

There is no getting over it.
    It happened and trying to forget that it happened is an insult to all those who lived and suffered through it.

Roughly 2 million died under British rule in the first half of the 19th century.
    Go and tell a Jew that Hitler didn't kill 6 million of their people and then come back to me.

Couldn't agree more. It's bad enough that British people don't have a clue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's ironic that, after all of the bloodshed and the efforts of our ancestors, all those years ago, Ireland is still run by a bunch of ****!

Did you expect the Irish to be less of a bunch of ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

cooperguy wrote: »

If anything they were named after the drink (that the uniform/garb cooincided with), which AFAIK is not a US invention. I worked bar many a moon ago and occasionally got asked for a black and tan by some oul fella, and not an American tourist in sight...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Fossil Fuels nicer
    I challenge your statement.

However, the nicest one of all is no longer sold here, and that makes me very sad. Half Baked, how I miss you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Wertz wrote: »
    If anything they were named after the drink (that the uniform/garb cooincided with), which AFAIK is not a US invention. I worked bar many a moon ago and occasionally got asked for a black and tan by some oul fella, and not an American tourist in sight...
    it's an english drink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think it's fair on Holocaust survivors and the relatives of those who perished to compare what the Irish suffered under British rule, and how we are affected by it, to the plight of Jewish people - even though the Black and Tans were absolute *****.

Advertisement