Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menstural cups?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i had never heard of them until going to electric picnic last year,they sold them at one of the stall things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

z_topaz wrote: »
    However, whilst I'm all into helping the environment and economising, I do think this is one area where a woman is allowed to be a bit selfish and I would never change what I use just because it would be a bit more green or save me a few euros.

lol, im completley the same, not much of an eco warrior!

I use them solely for comfort and convenience. the green factor is just a bonus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

The mooncup is the best thing I've ever bought. I first heard of it on Boards and thought "no way" but the more I read the more I thought "maybe"

The first time I used it I had no problem putting it in but had a slight problem taking it out, but I'd forgotten that on another thread someone advised "bearing down" to make it easier to get out, have had no problems since. I absolutely love my mooncup:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 green dolphin

after reading some of this thread a few weeks ago i dug out my mooncup again (...from a drawer, not my eh, drawers) and gave it another try. i forgot how much of a nightmare it is to remove it! ugh! so easy to insert, so awfully difficult to pull back out. i know there's a technique to it, and i had my own way figured out, but i guess i forgot the mild truama and time involved in the bearing down, pulling and 'breaking of the vacuum seal' (not to mention the anticipation of the sight of whats inside)... certainly not for the sqeamish but at least it only needs to be done about once or twice a day for a couple of days a month. and i do appreciate that it doesn't mess with the natural moisture levels in my lady garden the way tampons do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I had thought the squeamish factor would bother me, but now I'm thinking it wouldn't be so bad. One of the good things about being a lady is you get used to the sight of blood very quickly. Gore in films doesn't bother me nearly as much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

Ive been using the mooncup for over a year now and i would never ever use anything else again.

tampons always leaked for me the mooncup has never leaked once, its so easy to use,you dont need to dispose of anything, you never need to worry about running out of tampons or pads. its just so good!

i cannot recommend this enough!

i do aqua aerobics and swim regularly and i dont notice it in the slightest.

someday these will be the only things that people use, i have no doubt about that, i cant believe that these are not advertised more, although i do agree that it will put the tampon/ST industry out of business if it is.

i am not using these to save the environment at all, although it is a nice side output, i am using them because in my opinion they are far superior to anything else!

jeese i sound like a own a mooncup making factory the way i am pushing these! ( i dont!!!! would be a good investment though!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Don't worry, I'm also a Menstrual Cup evangelist!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The only thing putting me off them is the 30 euro price tag. I know it'll pay for itself over tiem, but seeing as my mum usually buys the pads and tampons for the house they cost me nothing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I'm definitely getting one when I move out in September and leave my mum's just-in-case-of-nuclear-holocaust-sized stock of tampons and pads. I've noticed that when people bring it up in conversation quite often it's with a look of disgust so I'm glad people here are making me feel less stigmatized for wanting to use one! I could never fathom why people find the idea gross, there are plenty of yucky things that come out of your body that you don't have to deal with visually but period blood is something you have to see (and smell, and occasionally touch) more so than most other excrement. If anything, the cup is wayyy less gross than pads, 'cause it keeps everything somewhere inside until you're ready to empty it, rather than letting it drip out onto a strip of cotton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

i forgot how much of a nightmare it is to remove it! ugh! so easy to insert, so awfully difficult to pull back out. i know there's a technique to it, and i had my own way figured out, but i guess i forgot the mild truama and time involved in the bearing down, pulling and 'breaking of the vacuum seal'

I find if you bear down and squeeze the cup fairly high up that the seal breaks quite easily, the only time I had a problem was the 1st time I used it, it's been plain sailing since then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 green dolphin

lily lou wrote: »
    I find if you bear down and squeeze the cup fairly high up that the seal breaks quite easily, the only time I had a problem was the 1st time I used it, it's been plain sailing since then!!

yeah, my problem is that i have to bear down for a while before i can grip it properly. maybe i'm inserting it too high, but when i've kept it lower i've been able to feel it inside, which is not good. its hard because i think one of the recommendations is to squat down to help remove it, but i don't like to do that incase theres drips after i pull it out.
    and the squeamish factor for me isn't so much the sight of blood (mines usually brownish though, which i find grosser than regular red blood) its the warmth of the cup in your fingers. theres something really weird about it, like you've just removed a part of yourself or something.
    in theory the pro's outweigh the con's for me, but in practice i've still been reaching for the lil-lets (btw, anyone with the tampon leakage problem should try lil-lets rather than tampax. i haven't used tampax in years but afaik they expand more length ways whereas lil-lets and other non-applicator ones expand width ways.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 VexedRed

So after hearing about the Mooncup here on Boards.ie I got one and have just started using it... and I must say-I'm delighted with it!
    It is a bit awkward initially trying to get your technique right for the folding, insertion and removal but once you have it the whole thing is much easier. I initially found it quite difficult to insert but then I wet it with a bit of water and it was grand. The first extraction was also a bit difficult but, again, once you get your groove it's great. I'm a convert!
    It's so comfortable-can't even feel it-which was my major thing with those damn scratchy tampons... I can't recommend them highly enough. I have started telling my girlfriends about it (and telling them to come on here to have a look at this thread for info) and they are all for it too-some out of the Eco concerns and some because they spend so much on tampons etc. due to heavy flow. I think we're going to start a revolution!

Go Team Mooncup!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm seriously considering getting one. I might be too squeamish,though. At the first sight of any blood,I feel extremely faint,which is obviously a problem =/ Hmmm,I'll see anyway. One of the things I'm worried about is it hurting. I've always been told tampons don't hurt but they just don't work at all for me,I've tried countless times and it hurts like hell. So,is the mooncup awkward and difficult to insert? Or is it one of those odd things that despite being bigger or bulkier,is much easier to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is it possible to get TSS from the mooncup?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

TSS is related to absorbency, the mooncup doesn't absorb anything.

It hasn't been linked with TSS no, but they can't outright say you won't get it whilst using them.

Here's their answer.

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/menstrual_cup_faq.html#TSS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi ladies,
    Thanks for all the helpful advice in this thread. I had never heard of the mooncup before reading this thread. I bought my moon cup about 3months ago and am still getting used to it.
    Does anyone else find that after you take it out, it is like opening a flood gate and you have really heavy discharge? Has anyone any advice to avoid this?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

ztoical wrote: »
    Hi all,

I posted this question in the PI forum recently as I wasn't sure were else to post it and didn't know there was a womens forum. I hope its ok to ask this here.

I've been debating for ages about switching from tampons to either using a menstural cup or Cloth Menstrual Pads as they are both better for the enviroment and was wondering if anyone on the fourm has an experience with either?
    i bought the moon cup from boots and have never looked back!!

its so handy-took me awhile to figure out insertion and removal after that i'm all set.
    its better for environment, better for your wallet and you dont get the same prob with yeast infections.
    every women here should try them!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

Quality wrote: »
    Yes they are natural bodily functions

Lactating is natural
    Menstruating is natural

Breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world from my experience.

However inserting a cup in the vagina is not the most natural thing in the world....

I suppose if it was recommended by a friend I may consider it. But I dont think I will be a pioneering woman for Mooncups...

Tampons are cotton, but they are bleached t'feck! Silicone is natural.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Zombie thread.

Locked.

Maple.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement