Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menstural cups?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't put mine in a saucepan, I just pour boiling water over it. A dash of milton would sort it too. The makers don't mention it as they want to be eco friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

i used a mooncup for a while but gave up after a few months when it came time to boil/sterilize it. they recommend you do this in a pan of water on the hob, but i live in a shared house and i don't exactly want to be boiling my mooncup in the same saucepan people cook their pasta in. how does everyone else get around this?
    If you want it to be super clean you can stick it in a mug with water with a splash of milton overnight or baby bottle sterlising tablets (like 3 euro a packet in boots for tons), then rinse it for a minute. I use hot water and anti-bacterial soap at the start of my period, and then the milton method above at the end when I'm putting it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 green dolphin

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I don't put mine in a saucepan, I just pour boiling water over it. A dash of milton would sort it too. The makers don't mention it as they want to be eco friendly.
    taram wrote: »
    If you want it to be super clean you can stick it in a mug with water with a splash of milton overnight or baby bottle sterlising tablets (like 3 euro a packet in boots for tons), then rinse it for a minute. I use hot water and anti-bacterial soap at the start of my period, and then the milton method above at the end when I'm putting it away.

thanks guys. i just would have wondered about milton and not wanting any residue inside me, but i suppose if its good enough for washing babies bottles in it should be good enough for my lady garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I just got a Mooncup and am going to use it for the first time at the end of this month.
    I've read the booklet and checked online but can't see if you can use baby wipes to clean it or not? Washing it in a sink in a public toilet is not really practical for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'd becareful about the type of wipes tbh as the residue from them will stay on the cup and may irritate you internally. If you are going to go down the route I'd sugget trying hypo-allergenic non alcohol cotton baby wipes.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I'd becareful about the type of wipes tbh as the residue from them will stay on the cup and may irritate you internally. If you are going to go down the route I'd sugget trying hypo-allergenic non alcohol cotton baby wipes.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I know boots carry them cos I had to use them for my youngest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭winking weber

As mentioned already, you shouldnt need to empty it in a public toilet at all. I cant remember a single occasion when I did. If I had to I'd just look for a loo with a sink in it.

I think people can get too hung up on the sterilising too. Your vagina is not a sterile area. What goes in there certainly doesnt need to be sterile. Use your common sense and keep the thing clean obviously, but I dont think I'd bother with milton or any of that stuff. Boiling water is perfectly sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

As mentioned already, you shouldnt need to empty it in a public toilet at all. I cant remember a single occasion when I did. If I had to I'd just look for a loo with a sink in it.

I think people can get too hung up on the sterilising too. Your vagina is not a sterile area. What goes in there certainly doesnt need to be sterile. Use your common sense and keep the thing clean obviously, but I dont think I'd bother with milton or any of that stuff. Boiling water is perfectly sufficient.
    Agree with both points, I find it easy enough to just quickly tip 98% of it into the loo itself when out anyway, only need to do it when out I assume because I have a very heavy flow.

And tampons aren't sterile either remember, neither are penises, or most toys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

wow - such an interesting thread - never even gave a thought to using these until I read all this. I think I would defo give it a go. 30 quid sounds like a lot, but I've been reading online that they last years! sounds like it's the most hassle free option! and recession friendly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 green dolphin

taram wrote: »
    And tampons aren't sterile either remember, neither are penises, or most toys :)

that is a very good point i hadn't considered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 VexedRed

Had heard about menstrual cups years and years ago, came across this thread and now am finally getting around to getting one after reading your pro-cup stories!
    I can't say I am comfortable with the idea of the initial figuring it out stage but hoping all goes well. I really hate tampons-they never seem to sit quite right with me and pads are just messy and annoying so I'm hoping I have finally found my answer. I know it's sad but am kinda looking forward to it :eek: cos I can't stands these damn tampons no more!

Should be getting mine tomorrow-if Boots have 'em. Will let you know how I get on!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Go for it vexed I got mine a few months ago and am so happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

hey ladies, found this article very interesting re sex while wearing menstrual cups, and other suggestions to keep it 'clean' (when is sex ever clean;)) thought I'd share:

you have two options when it comes to cups and penetrative sex – 1. Softcups, 2. Diaphragms.

Softcups are the same sort of idea as menstrual cups however they are disposable and diaphragm-shaped, sitting up close to the cervix it means that you can have penetrative sex while wearing one to protect against blood getting messy. I’d not advise it though; softcups aren’t anywhere as good as menstrual cups so they can leak, and from personal experience I can tell you that during penetrative sex they can’t be felt by you but they can be felt by the man – some guys may be fine with it, others may be freaked out (my ex was!) http://www.softcup.com

Diaphragms, basically these can be used just like menstrual cups or softcups as long as your flow isn’t too heavy – they don’t leak that much, but they don’t hold nearly as much flow as menstrual cups or softcups. These are much better for penetrative sex during menstruation as less likely to leak, reusable so still environmentally friendly (although despite being disposable softcups still beat tampons hands-down when it comes to the environment) and cheap, and more importantly as they are made to be worn during penetrative sex they can be worn without being felt by either of you.

You always have the options of using nothing at all, using an old towel or period blanket, sex in the bath or shower, or you can use sponge http://www.jadeandpearl.com , cloth or soft tampons http://www.gynotex.com – although of course tampons increase your risk of vaginal infections, these tampon types aren’t as high-risk as commercial tampons but it is still worth remembering if you’re prone to vaginal infections.

Menstrual cups can be worn for sex during your period, only not so great for penis to vaginal penetrative sex because of course they get in the way and reduce the effectiveness of the menstrual cup in doing it's job. For things like oral etc. menstrual cups are fine as they don't leak and have nothing showing on the outside - although I'd recommend silicone brands such as Divacup, Mooncup, and Ladycup as rubber cups such as the Keeper leave you with a rubber taste and smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Diaphragms, basically these can be used just like menstrual cups or softcups as long as your flow isn’t too heavy – they don’t leak that much, but they don’t hold nearly as much flow as menstrual cups or softcups. These are much better for penetrative sex during menstruation as less likely to leak, reusable so still environmentally friendly (although despite being disposable softcups still beat tampons hands-down when it comes to the environment) and cheap, and more importantly as they are made to be worn during penetrative sex they can be worn without being felt by either of you.

the article doesn't make it very clear the diaphragm is a method of contraception not made for collecting period blood [though it does do that] Diaphragms use to be a very common method of contraception but with the arrival of the pill became less common, just in case some of the younger ladies have never heard of them. It should also be pointed out you need to be fitted for a diaphragm by a doctor to make sure it fits correctly thus working correctly as contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Got my first mooncup recently and I think they are brilliant!!

Thanks girls, I would never have ever heard about them only for this thread.

I find it very comfortable to wear and it is great that I dont have any of the litter associated with applicator tampons.

How long can you leave it in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

4 - 8 hours its suitable during exercise and overnight!!

Quality wrote: »
    4 - 8 hours its suitable during exercise and overnight!!

Took me so long to get it in right I'd like to leave it in as long as possible before going at it again! :P

Got my mooncup yesterday-it's huge! Even when you fold it it's still about twice the width of a tampon... first time promises to be an interesting experience!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

bnagrrl wrote: »
    How long can you leave it in for?

It's safe to leave in for 12 hours, but in day 1 and 2 the odds are you'll have to change it more often.

When it comes to needing to change it in a public toilet where the sinks aren't in the cubicle I've developed a trick. I take it out, empty it, flush the toilet and give it a quick rinse it the flow of water as it comes out. It sounds a bit odd, but it's clean water and is a quick fix if you're stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

Got my mooncup yesterday-it's huge! Even when you fold it it's still about twice the width of a tampon... first time promises to be an interesting experience!

how are you folding it? personally I find the fold in the instructions way too big.

this video has a million different folds, but you might see one that is easier than just folding it in half. the one one i use is called the 'punch-down' i believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PX3BWwjPY&feature=channel_page

dosed wrote: »
    how are you folding it? personally I find the fold in the instructions way too big.

this video has a million different folds, but you might see one that is easier than just folding it in half. the one one i use is called the 'punch-down' i believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PX3BWwjPY&feature=channel_page

Hey-thanks for the link! I must say, I never would have thought of consulting YouTube!

I was just using the folding instructions in the leaflet. There are a few ones on the tutorial video that I will prob try now-they look a bit more manageable. Some even look quite arty-the origami one looks like a rose! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Sounds way too fiddly for my liking but good luck to anyone who's using mooncups.

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ms. Crabapple

Hi all,
    I've read through all the posts here and followed the links and would love to try the mooncup. I was just looking up the sizes. I'm 28 (nearly 29) and have no children so should I still get the B size (for women under 30 who haven't given birth) or just get the A size ( which are for those who are over 30 and/or have given birth vaginally)? :confused: I searched the FAQ on the mooncup website but no joy. Does anyone know where I could get an answer to this? It's just that I don't want to buy a small size I'll only use for a year and then have to bin. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Hi all,
    I've read through all the posts here and followed the links and would love to try the mooncup. I was just looking up the sizes. I'm 28 (nearly 29) and have no children so should I still get the B size (for women under 30 who haven't given birth) or just get the A size ( which are for those who are over 30 and/or have given birth vaginally)? :confused: I searched the FAQ on the mooncup website but no joy. Does anyone know where I could get an answer to this? It's just that I don't want to buy a small size I'll only use for a year and then have to bin. :o

I'd say you'd be fine with the smaller one, especially if you haven't used it before and need to get used to using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Hi all,

What worries me about this is what exactly is going to happen to my vagina the day I turn 30?!
    Mooncup looks pretty good though, read an article about these years ago, but the writer wasn't very impressed by them so I didn't consider it.
    I may now though! €30 seems a bit pricey though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

Ended up getting one about seven months ago, and I honestly wouldn't be without it now - I even pop it in my bag if I'm going places in the week before I'm due, just in case. It does leak a little if you put it in too far, but once it's in and you have the stalk trimmed to a length that doesn't drive you nuts you forget it's even there. Brilliant! It's not as big as I thought it would be - the open end is about as big around as a walnut in its shell, and it's about the length of the teats on bigger baby bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

Hi all,

I guess if you do kegals and stuff you'll be fine with the smaller size for a while?! i don't know, the sizes are only guidelines afterall. Some of the brands are only one size, i guess somewhere in the middle of a & b, maybe try one of those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Ok - at first, reading the initial posts, I had a definite "eww" reaction, but, reading on, I do see how the cups can be useful - especially for swimming.
    However, whilst I'm all into helping the environment and economising, I do think this is one area where a woman is allowed to be a bit selfish and I would never change what I use just because it would be a bit more green or save me a few euros.
    I think the best thing is whatever makes you comfortable but, by the sounds of it, these cups could be the next big thing once there is more awareness of them - as I, for one, have never heard about them before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement