Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountbatten wanted United Ireland

Options

Comments

McArmalite wrote: »
    If half the time and effort spent propping up the division of the country was put into its prosperity thered be no doubt the place would be a success . As usual its the age old conservative , small minded culture of low expectations and lack of imagination which seeks to hold back progress on the island by a promoting the myth of disaster should a nationwide democracy be permitted on the island .
    That's very true, it needs people on both sides of the divide to decide what is best for us not "what's in it for me and you lot must change to our way of thinking".

In all honesty the biggest obsticle is the small mindedness of yourself and other extremist on this forum who are completely unable to see the other sides viewpoint on anything, unionists & republicians need to learn to live together and get on with life, that includes dropping some of these stupid "traditions" that seem to achive nothing except wind up the neighbours.

When the peoples of northern Ireland are united then a united Ireland (nation) can be easily achieved.

I'd say most of us, ( and that even includes me !!! ) weren't around to remember that !!!!
    But do you benefit from it?
    NI, visit a GP = free
    Éire visit a GP = €50

Where do you buy your petrol etc, you border hoppers can pick the best from both sides :D

The seperate states are really is to your advantage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

That's very true, it needs people on both sides of the divide to decide what is best for us not "what's in it for me and you lot must change to our way of thinking".

In all honesty the biggest obsticle is the small mindedness of yourself and other extremist on this forum who are completely unable to see the other sides viewpoint on anything, unionists & republicians need to learn to live together and get on with life, that includes dropping some of these stupid "traditions" that seem to achive nothing except wind up the neighbours.

When the peoples of northern Ireland are united then a united Ireland (nation) can be easily achieved.
    Ah yes, the other british posters version of bearing the white man's burden. It's all down to the thick Paddys as benign, well meaning britian tries to bring the illogical warring Orish together. As long as perfidious albion holds up the unionist 'veto', i.e. britian will hide behind "the wishes of the majority of the people of northern Ireland" excuse, the the unionists will NEVER have to negoiate. As stated above by kreuzberger - " Republicans only ever demanded a decalaration of intent to withdraw to permit interim peace talks to take place between all sectors of society on the island on how it would be structured when that withdrawal came . 5, ten and even 20 year timeframes were considered acceptable if that firm declaration of intent was given " . And for such a suggestion as a means to end our countries terrible problem, Republicans are called "extremeists' and we need brits like yourself to tell us what to do.

Ah yes, the other british posters version of bearing the white man's burden. It's all down to the thick Paddys as benign, well meaning britian tries to bring the illogical warring Orish together. As long as perfidious albion holds up the unionist 'veto', i.e. britian will hide behind "the wishes of the majority of the people of northern Ireland" excuse, the the unionists will NEVER have to negoiate. As stated above by kreuzberger - " Republicans only ever demanded a decalaration of intent to withdraw to permit interim peace talks to take place between all sectors of society on the island on how it would be structured when that withdrawal came . 5, ten and even 20 year timeframes were considered acceptable if that firm declaration of intent was given " . And for such a suggestion as a means to end our countries terrible problem, Republicans are called "extremeists' and we need brits like yourself to tell us what to do.

McArmalite, have you ever even met a unionist? do you consider that part of the problem is the way you think of your neighbours! Granted Unionists are probably even worse in this regard. Extremeists will not solve the issue by spouting off history and constantly blaming the other side for the current mess, look forward not back learn from history, but don't use it as a millstone to impede your progress to a "possibly" single Ireland future, where the peoples of this land are united and feel they belong to the one state and not a reluctant "ethenic minority" as could happen if predjustice & bigotory are not addressed first.

"Brit" is a swear word to you! so I'll ignore it!

I don't care what Britain thinks.. Peace in Northern Ireland is only going to be achieved when the people on both sides decide it's time to move on, you are not one of those!

McArmalite, have you ever even met a unionist? do you consider that part of the problem is the way you think of your neighbours! Granted Unionists are probably even worse in this regard. Extremeists will not solve the issue by spouting off history and constantly blaming the other side for the current mess, look forward not back learn from history, but don't use it as a millstone to impede your progress to a "possibly" single Ireland future, where the peoples of this land are united and feel they belong to the one state and not a reluctant "ethenic minority" as could happen if predjustice & bigotory are not addressed first.

"Brit" is a swear word to you! so I'll ignore it!

I don't care what Britain thinks.. Peace in Northern Ireland is only going to be achieved when the people on both sides decide it's time to move on, you are not one of those!

But here we go YET AGAIN " the people on both sides ". The people on both sides....the people on both sides.....the people on both sides... the Orish are the problem ' bearing the white man's burden amongst the unruly savage natives ' theme coming up yet again and again and again. Britain or the british like yourself aren't a central part of the problem, britian is a detached, well meaning, benevolent kinly old uncle in the equation. It's all down to the unagreeable Orish. ( Well, the unionists aren't Irish - their british, so stop trying to lump us with that one.) God you just LOVE yourselves don't you.

I've met unionists, ( more 26 county unionists than 6 county ones I must admit :) ), a waste of time. Usually it came down to, and this was from 'nice' middle class unionists with names like Cecil and Ivy, " If the Protestant people don't get their way- they'll be a bloodbath " etc, etc. I even met loyalists in Belfast who had done some serious time on Cecil and Ivy's behalf and felt very imbittered about it - but still don't believe in anything but unionist state. In fairness to the loyalists - and it's easy for me to say something positive about them as been from the Free State I didn't have to endure the indiscrimminate onslaught of them, but I was brought to Belfast by a northern nationalist to meet them - maybe because of my blue collar background, I found them more straight talking and open minded than Cecil and Ivy.

As for "when the people on both sides decide it's time to move on" - It will NEVER be time for unionists " to move on " - As long as perfidious albion holds up the unionist 'veto', i.e. britian will hide behind "the wishes of the majority of the people of northern Ireland" excuse, the the unionists will NEVER have to negoiate. - as stated previously.

• Advertisement

But here we go YET AGAIN " the people on both sides ". The people on both sides....the people on both sides.....the people on both sides...
    With views as deeply entrenched as the troops at the Somme in 1916. you and your "Oirish unionist neighbours" may never see eye-to-eye, fortunately even Adams & Paisley have moved on a bit ;) so there is some hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Stop living in fantasy land and stop coming up with stupid arguements aimed at insulting me rather than looking at the real issue. If Britain had pulled out of NI in 1980 would there or would there not have been bloodshed on a scale not seen in Ireland since 1922? yes or no?

don't talk about India, or 1922 or the ****ing falkland islands, deal with the current situation in Ireland.

FYI, most catholics from NI that I am friends with, hate Dublin republicans as much as they hate Orangemen, it is easy to see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

T
    hat's very true, it needs people on both sides of the divide to decide what is best for us not "what's in it for me and you lot must change to our way of thinking".

it needs getting rid of the border , which is the embbodiment of the principle of the divide . A foreign imposed one . Imposed on the threat of genocidal war by Britian upon our population

whats needed is the priniple of democracy at its maimum expression . Foreign imposed minority vetoes over democracy are not conducive to conflict resoultion . Democracy at its maximum expression is the surest method of conflict resolution

Britians insistence on retaining control of the north and its implementation of institutionalised sectariainism enusres division remains . Sectariainism remains untill it is replaced with democracy . It was a protestant who first pointed out breaking the connection with england was central to putting an end to the evils theyd brought into our society . Sectariainism first and foremost .

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

how do you propose people move on from the politics of occupation whilst a foreign occupation remains , condemning Irish people to practice the politics which maintain it . We were told ten years ago peace had been ahcheived .
    whilst you may not care what Britian thinks its what Britian says and does that is instrumental while we practice a politics that accomodates the frustration of nationwide democracy.
    Its British intereference in Ireland thats the root of the problem . We cant tackle the symptoms untill we address the existence of the disease itself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

it needs getting rid of the border , which is the embbodiment of the principle of the divide . A foreign imposed one . Imposed on the threat of genocidal war by Britian upon our population

I hope not. I moved south of the border to get away from all the psychopathic bigoted headcases of Northern Ireland (both Catholic & Protestant).

If we get rid of the border and accept responsibility for that economic black hole then I predict that it will hit us just as West German living standards were dragged down by reunification with the East. Do we really want to sacrifice our prosperity in order to integrate headbangers from both communities that will expect us to subsidise them to the same extent as the British dole?

If that happens I might just have to emigrate somewhere else. :)

• Advertisement

Its British intereference in Ireland thats the root of the problem . We cant tackle the symptoms untill we address the existence of the disease itself .
    What do you propose! genocide, ethenic cleansing! the populations of these islands are a great mixture of Celts, anglo saxons, normans, danes plus a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Have you been reading "Mein Kampf" by any chance?

PDN wrote: »
    I hope not. I moved south of the border to get away from all the psychopathic bigoted headcases of Northern Ireland (both Catholic & Protestant).

If we get rid of the border and accept responsibility for that economic black hole then I predict that it will hit us just as West German living standards were dragged down by reunification with the East. Do we really want to sacrifice our prosperity in order to integrate headbangers from both communities that will expect us to subsidise them to the same extent as the British dole?

That is one of the economic reasons that the republic has not pressed harder for a united Ireland in recent years, far too many of the "jobs" are civil service types that would "go east" if the province was to become part of the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

If we get rid of the border and accept responsibility for that economic black hole then I predict that it will hit us just as West German living standards were dragged down by reunification with the East.

I've heard this argument before but I'm not convinced by it. In some instances I think it is even used as a scare tactic by people that don't want to see a united Ireland (I know thats not how you meant it PDN).

The main reasons I'm not convinced by the argument is because German reunification occured in 1989, before the European economic boom of the late 90's.

Also, East Germany was a communist state, where as West Germany of course was not. Integrating a non-communist state with a communist state was always going to cause headaches for all concerned.

However, I don't think the German people in general were too concerned about their own pockets, they were just happy too see reunification of their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

What do you propose! genocide, ethenic cleansing! the populations of these islands are a great mixture of Celts, anglo saxons, normans, danes plus a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

How does removing the artificial border that blights our nation in any way involve ethnic cleansing?

The artificial NI statelet will always be a sectarian, backward hole for as long as it exists. It has only served to create division and mistrust between its 'two communities', encouraged of course by the Brits trying to stir things up in an attempt to justify its occupation. You remove the border, you remove the problems the border has created. This country should NEVER have been divided, and there will always be conflict until reunification happens.

Some of his previous postings :rolleyes: -

" I grew up in Protestant East Belfast. I still have friends and relatives who vote Unionist and watch GAA on TV. They couldn't give a toss about Orange Lodges (who they see as throwbacks in fancy dress) and they see Monaghan etc as a foreign country.......I know quite a few Northern Unionists who really enjoy watching GAA on TV and are very happy when Ulster teams (excepting Monagahan, Donegal or Cavan) win .......It wasn't until I moved south of the border that I discovered that what they were referring to was actually the Northern Ireland flag, and that this was the (9 county) Ulster flag:...

Your a bullsh!tter pal. Just stick to dicussing - " Does god give every human embryo a soul?.....The story of original sin doesn't make sense. " etc, etc. like you do on the Religion & Spirituality board.

As for the West German analogy, well I didn't think that the 2 economies in Ireland was different as West Germany - one of the most efficent and wealthiest countries in the world and East Germany - a very poor and inefficent economy ruled by decades of communism were.

Closet unionists like yourself do have to problemise any step foward for Ireland with dire warnings of the consequences at every suggestion of change, large or small. Such as when they were discussing introducing a seperate Irish currency from sterling some of the excuses thrown out by like minded people as as yourself at the time - Britain is our biggest trading partner, thousands of tills and cash registers would have to be altered, an independent currency would quickly collapse and so on.

And ofcourse ending the injustice of partition isn't worth it if it hits your pocket in the slightest way. What a fine, caring, Christian opinion to hold. I'm alright Jack. Doubtless your views on a UI has all to do with your pocket and nothing else. Very humane and civil minded. I bet you think wouldn have been better if those rebels in 1916 or 1798 or at any other time, had all been shot and the Irish terrified into submission. You would have played your part in it by booing and jeering them coming out of the GPO.

No I'm sure he hasn't. But been british and always referring to yourself as 'Anglo Saxons' as if to imply your descended from some sort of Germanic Tuetonic race, it would appeal much more to you lot. After all, it's not that long ago the brits of all classes used to mouth off that their was only two races in the world, the british and the rest :D. What a bunch of as$holes :).

Besides, you have plenty of your own fascist, racists and war criminals like the drunken fat ugly slob Churchill, bomber Harris etc without reading the failed Austrian painter.

son of a gun, I was replying to this comment! If he considers unionists to be British and he is implying that the british are a disease that must be got rid of!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hi.
    I didn't read the whole thread.

My country was invaded.
    My eople were basically enslaved by a foreign nation who treated my people as second class citizens.
    My ancestors were pissed off with the situation. They decided that they wanted the invading force removed.

After many years they suceeded.

The foreign force no longer has a hold on my country, for the most part.

A certain part of my country was always rebellious and never agreed with the rest of the country.
    They are stil ruled by the invaders.
    Sme of the population agree with the invaders, some don't.

Before the invasion, they wanted to be on their own, so I believe they should be left on their own now.

They now have their own government.
    They are doing well at the moment.
    They should be left to their own devices and brown bulls.

Terry wrote: »
    Hi.
    I didn't read the whole thread.

My country was invaded.
    My eople were basically enslaved by a foreign nation who treated my people as second class citizens.
    My ancestors were pissed off with the situation. They decided that they wanted the invading force removed.

After many years they suceeded.

The foreign force no longer has a hold on my country, for the most part.

A certain part of my country was always rebellious and never agreed with the rest of the country.
    They are stil ruled by the invaders.
    Sme of the population agree with the invaders, some don't.

Before the invasion, they wanted to be on their own, so I believe they should be left on their own now.

They now have their own government.
    They are doing well at the moment.
    They should be left to their own devices and brown bulls.

Good answer, I belive you've summed it up quite well there!. (this calsberg is probably doing what it does best at the momont), but seriously you have!

The future is tomorrow! the injustices of the past have (generally) been resolved, look forward not back!

son of a gun, I was replying to this comment! If he considers unionists to be British and he is implying that the british are a disease that must be got rid of!

Your lying as usual, you know well he's speaking about british military occupation, it's just your way of trying to throw a spanner in the works of any nationalist viewpoint.

BTW, I hope you don't mind me inseting the your homepage into this message http://dolanbaker.info/ - regarding your pride and joy, Philip & Joans Little House on the Prairie. It should give everyone a good laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

how utterly pathetic of you to slag off another posters blog...

Re Mountbatten, A friend of mine involved in the republican movement used to sing a song about his assasination, to the tune of Old McDonald...

Lord Mountbatten had a boat e i e i oh,
    And on that boat there was a bomb..e i e i oh,
    With a boom boom here and a boom boom there, lord mountbatten evderywhere..

To me thought he seemed like one of the more attractive members of the royal family. From Alan Brooke's diarys he comes accross as being a bit of a lovable clown - shooting blocks of ice with a pistol to try and drum up support for aircraft carriers made from icebergs etc. I guess he was killed to give the prisoners in the Maze a morale boost but by the time of his death he was a political has been so his thoughts on united Ireland were surely an irrelavance.

BTW, I hope you don't mind me inseting the your homepage into this message http://dolanbaker.info/ - regarding your pride and joy, Philip & Joans Little House on the Prairie. It should give everyone a good laugh :)
    It's on my sig :D edit: you forgot to mention the weather station while you're at it.

PS: thanks for the traffic :D

how utterly pathetic of you to slag off another posters blog...

Re Mountbatten, A friend of mine involved in the republican movement used to sing a song about his assasination, to the tune of Old McDonald...

Lord Mountbatten had a boat e i e i oh,
    And on that boat there was a bomb..e i e i oh,
    With a boom boom here and a boom boom there, lord mountbatten evderywhere..

To me thought he seemed like one of the more attractive members of the royal family. From Alan Brooke's diarys he comes accross as being a bit of a lovable clown - shooting blocks of ice with a pistol to try and drum up support for aircraft carriers made from icebergs etc. I guess he was killed to give the prisoners in the Maze a morale boost but by the time of his death he was a political has been so his thoughts on united Ireland were surely an irrelavance.

Yeah, I know the song, first heard it from some Celtic supporters from Glasgow :)

He - and the 19 paras at Warrenpoint that morning - were killed in revenge for Bloody Sunday. " 13 dead but not forgotten, We got 19 paras and Mountbatten " as they wrote on the walls in Derry. ( Mountbatten been Mrs Windsor's (queen) cousin, whom awarded a obe or mbe or whatever the feck to the officer commanding the paras that day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

Yeah, I know the song, first heard it from some Celtic supporters from Glasgow :)

He - and the 19 paras at Warrenpoint that morning - were killed in revenge for Bloody Sunday. " 13 dead but not forgotten, We got 19 paras and Mountbatten " as they wrote on the walls in Derry. ( Mountbatten been Mrs Windsor's (queen) cousin, whom awarded a obe or mbe or whatever the feck to the officer commanding the paras that day).

Yer, singing a song about the murder of an 80 yr oldman and 11 year old boy is hilarious, such people who find murder funny, are the scum of the Earth.

Including yourself....................vermin.

Pathfinder wrote: »
    Yer, singing a song about the murder of an 80 yr oldman and 11 year old boy is hilarious, such people who find murder funny, are the scum of the Earth.

Well is " singing a hymn to an hereditary monarch and self styled defender of the faith asking a supernatural being to protect her so she can reign over her subjjects " much better ?? :)

I'm sure Celtic supporters from Glasgow would take it as a compliment to be called vermin from a royal lover. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pathfinder wrote: »

I made a derogatory remark about Bobby Sands once, a member of a terrorist organisation and got absolutely villified for it. Apparantly you can make remarks about another nations royal family and ex prime ministers and it is acceptable. Still, I think most people on here already know what an absolute hypocrit the guy is.

It is easy to sit behind a computer and act all hard and tough (Well, I suppose the guy is a martial arts expert so maybe he is Ireland's answer to Jackie Chan) but it must really hurt a massive patriot like him to know that most of his fellow countrymen think he is a joke and are actually embarrassed by him.

I made a derogatory remark about Bobby Sands once, a member of a terrorist organisation and got absolutely villified for it. Apparantly you can make remarks about another nations royal family and ex prime ministers and it is acceptable. Still, I think most people on here already know what an absolute hypocrit the guy is.

It is easy to sit behind a computer and act all hard and tough (Well, I suppose the guy is a martial arts expert so maybe he is Ireland's answer to Jackie Chan) but it must really hurt a massive patriot like him to know that most of his fellow countrymen think he is a joke and are actually embarrassed by him.

Well first of all it was Shutuplaura " A friend of mine involved in the republican movement used to sing a song about his assasination, to the tune of Old McDonald... " who raised the issue and typed the words of the song, not me, but both you and Pathfinder have attacked me about it. I'm only commentating on his post, if you have an issue take it up with him. If you wish admin to remove the post, that's up to you, but I won't blame you.

" countrymen think he is a joke and are actually embarrassed by him. " Surprisingly I would agree that some of the times I am completely over the top, though many also find it entertaining in the pm's - 'yer a mad bast@rd LOL' and that. But nobody more than you and some of your friends have made McArmalite into the type of poster he is. As I've said before, even before I ever joined the forum, you and a few 'friends' were dragging down every discussion that was in any way critical of britian's role in Irish history with derogatroy and smartas$ comments and remarks. You pee'd in your own bed, now go sleep in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

Well is " singing a hymn to an hereditary monarch and self styled defender of the faith asking a supernatural being to protect her so she can reign over her subjjects " much better ?? :)

I'm sure Celtic supporters from Glasgow would take it as a compliment to be called vermin from a royal lover. :)

Let the dead Rest in Peace, you stupid little yobo.

Can this thread get any lower, now degenerating into personal insults!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I'll bet McArmalite thinks Soham was 'justified'

Advertisement