Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY, It's rubbish.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm saddened by the level of negative posts about transition year. I did TY when it was only running for 2 years in Ireland and few schools did it (Roscrea C.B.S.) It was brilliant.

Here's what we did:
    * Set up a mini company
    * ran the school shop (badly)
    * Set up a school magazine
    * Entered one of these share dealing competitions and came 2nd in Ireland
    * 2 1-week stints of work experience in positions related to what you wanted to do after school (within reason)
    * Various interesting outings (can't remember
    * Irish: we spoke Irish for a year with a native speaker and learned slang terms
    * History: American history
    * Maths: We did some practical applications of maths you don't get in LC

The minicompany, shop and magazine were good from a business perspective, it showed me how NOT to run a company, costs were way too high and prices too low - so we made a massive (at the time) loss of shareholders money of £ 500. We had to raise share capital from parents and friends so that ended up down the drain. Also the shop 'ate' into our profits (literally).

All in all a fantastic experience. But you need teachers to organise it, even if that means putting a broad structure in place and let the students do the nitty-gritty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Thats a good point and thats probably why I didn't appreciate it If you have the right structure in place you're bound to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Its simple. You take from it what you get out. Most people go into TY with the mindset of it being a doss year. This is why there is alot of negative feedback.
    I went into it wanting to take a year to readjust and find a more practical side to my school life and i can safely say that it changed my life. Because we got the chance to be in a more relaxed enviornment and where treated like humans and given a major voice. Now there was a small group of 5 in my class of 26 that ruined alot of potential trips which really gets to me cos it could have been even better
    We got to go on countless trips, talks , and just to try a hand at subjects i would never have thought of doing and i think this is a great opportunity in a very mundane Irish school system.
    I also understand that maybe some schools didnt bring the true meaning of what Ty is supposed to be about to some people.thats just a damn shame tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

People will argue whether TY is good or bad but it depends on the school and the person. For me, I hated it. Because I got really lazy and didn't take part in any of the activities that weren't compulsory. I forgot everything from the Junior Cert and I don't think any school no matter how good TY is in it,prepares you for the Leaving Cert. It really is a kick when you get into 5th year.

i was the very same, TY was a nice doss for a few months but ruined me and i am in sixth yr now and still not able to sit and down and study/work like i did before TY.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

i was the very same, TY was a nice doss for a few months but ruined me and i am in sixth yr now and still not able to sit and down and study/work like i did before TY.:rolleyes:

So your work habits couldn't recover in time during 5th year?

Think it's silly to blame an entire year on not getting back into studying a large part of that is down to yourself!

• Advertisement

Sea Devils wrote: »
    So your work habits couldn't recover in time during 5th year?

Think it's silly to blame an entire year on not getting back into studying a large part of that is down to yourself!

no what i am saying is TY can cause a lot of people to become very relaxed about studyin once they get back into 5th year. in my school TY is only taken up by a max of 15 people out of a year of 50ish. in fact when i did it it was the biggest uptake since it started in our school nearly 10 yrs ago, and we had 17 that opted for ty out of 55 of us in 3rd yr. there is loads of us in my class now that find it so hard still, a year of doing no real homework and more so doing no study can cause alot of problems and lots of my friends would agree. i see people in my class now that never did ty and continued on from 3rd yr and they feel it was best to keep moving. now i know i cant generalise this for everyone and i know loads of people who have had great experiences and so did i. but the studyin aspect can be problematic thats all i am saying. as someone who got 8 a's and 3 b's in the JC pre, and my pre LC results were in no way comparable! just food for thought!:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

I do and don't regret doing TY.....but still wish I was in college right now, instead of slaving this year away in LC...but then again I wouldn't want to do what I want in college if it wasn't for TY:p....Put it like this for those who aren't lazy will like it and for those who are it is a waste of time.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Alkalimetal

TY in my school is fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm heading to continue module 4 after this. I've got to admit i've loved t.y

It give you the chance to try things you've never done before. Then it leaves you with that flexibility to get into other activites and stuff.

It's hard for me personally to express serious points in written form as I'm more of a talker but really if anyone here is having doubts about doing T.Y . What you put in is what you get out. Not the chance to be missed.

When I'm talking to people about it i just put this question to them.

You're about to do your junior cert and you're already studying and you might have a bit of pressure being put on you by your parents of needing to do well. Then out of no where you HAVE to pick subjects for your leaving cert! And you've not even done your Junior Cert. You've got no idea about what these subjects are like at a higher elective. Not to mention you haven't even thought about what course you may want to do when you leave school. As your subjects you pick may block you from getting into the course you may want to do. But it's too late as you've already picked.

T.Y gives you the freedom and the year to explore it also gives your teachers to show you what your in for in 5th year if you take that subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 xX Mark Xx

Agreed it's a load of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

You get out of it what u put into it.
    End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

professore wrote: »
    I'm saddened by the level of negative posts about transition year. I did TY when it was only running for 2 years in Ireland and few schools did it (Roscrea C.B.S.) It was brilliant.

Here's what we did:
    * Set up a mini company
    * ran the school shop (badly)
    * Set up a school magazine
    * Entered one of these share dealing competitions and came 2nd in Ireland
    * 2 1-week stints of work experience in positions related to what you wanted to do after school (within reason)
    * Various interesting outings (can't remember
    * Irish: we spoke Irish for a year with a native speaker and learned slang terms
    * History: American history
    * Maths: We did some practical applications of maths you don't get in LC

The minicompany, shop and magazine were good from a business perspective, it showed me how NOT to run a company, costs were way too high and prices too low - so we made a massive (at the time) loss of shareholders money of £ 500. We had to raise share capital from parents and friends so that ended up down the drain. Also the shop 'ate' into our profits (literally).

All in all a fantastic experience. But you need teachers to organise it, even if that means putting a broad structure in place and let the students do the nitty-gritty.
    Ah the great Mr D's Transition Year mini companies;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

biggest waste of a year.

only positive in my school anyways was the YSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

im in 3rd year and have decidedd to do 5th year but now i think i should do TY. Everyone has already been sorted out into TY and 5th year but i dont know what to do?!?!?!!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RageBeat

Frank3142 wrote: »
    im in 3rd year and have decidedd to do 5th year but now i think i should do TY. Everyone has already been sorted out into TY and 5th year but i dont know what to do?!?!?!!?!?

I know what you should do. Forget about TY and go into 5th year. Complete waste of a feckin' year tbh. Got really boring after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Its optional in my school. str8 to fifth year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

I thought TY was bloody brilliant in my school.
    I was non stop wortking all year!
    Everything you put in you get out thricefold.
    Our school has a bloody good program though and some schools dont,
    and thats where the conflict begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parry_Repost

I think ultimatly everyone is in agreement on two things. A well organised TY and coordinator is in important and what you put inis what you get out.

I loved my TY but I did as much work in TY as I did in 3rd year. The thing is I enjoyed what I was doing because for once what I was doing in school had practical applications.

There was a group of about 4 of us who spent more time in school than out of it and when we were out we were usally always with friends.

Id say a night I got home before 8/9 was unusual

Yet I know of a few people in my year who did absolutly nothing and that resulted in them thinking it was nothing but a doss year. I think they ended up being bored after about a month.

So my advice is if you do decide to do it get involved and if you know your not going to put in the effort maybe TY isnt for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I loved TY :)
    Its true you can't go into it thinking its a doss year where you do nothing because its totally the opposite but when you put the work in its well worth it :D
    After all of the hard work you did in third year its nice to change things round and do something different before you go into 5th year and the work gets piled on again.
    My school didnt go away for a week anywhere which we werent too happy about but other than that we all had a good time whether it was going to W5 in Belfast or eating biscuits and drinking tea every catering class!!
    I thought it was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IrishinDublin

I know people that did language courses abroad and they loved it, but they didn't get much help from the TY coordinator. They went with www.ef-ireland.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

You can make TY whatever you make it, it's hard to stay motivated during TY because the school won't drive you, but it can be a great success if you push yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 severussnape

Frank3142 wrote: »

In order to skip TY I think you need to be pretty sure about what you want to do, or at least know what field you want to go into. I did it last year and I'm not going to lie, it's weird to think that this time last year I was only getting my JC results and now, I'm going in to sit my LC. You really need to be mentally prepared for that because it comes as such a shock. My only other option was to do a language course abroad, which I briefly considered at the time before deciding against it. In hindsight, I probably should have given that more consideration. A few of my friends spent the year in France in a boarding school and they absolutely loved it, and are basically fluent now, so if that's available to you, I'd give it a bit of thought...although it's probably a bit late now... Good luck anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Out of 30 people in my class in college who finished this year 0 have jobs

At least 75% of people in the year above me have full time jobs.

Why oh why did i do TY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 fearanpost

i done ty and it was a complete waste of time! i recommend u skip it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

fearanpost wrote: »
    i done ty and it was a complete waste of time! i recommend u skip it!!
    Theres two weeks left till school starts its a bit late now!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

I think it should be optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

It is in most schools as far as i know, in mine it was anyway

it was optional in my school, only about 1 in 4 do ty in my school! any school i know of ty is optional!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Well, my school for one organizes TY very well. Just to name a few of the thigs were doing this year theres Japanese, Karate, Fencing, Psychology among others and a lot of trips always happen, already we had an overnight trip to Carlingford in the first week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

I'm getting kind of worried. TY is obligatory in my school. I took it sheerly because I didn't want to be thrown into intense study again. I've been doing it 2 weeks now and I really hate it.

Russian which I really wanted to take is being canceled. Sign Language,which I was told was going to be a proper class, is only going to be three doubles taken out of community work and then its finished, so basically all the modules are gone. Theres not even a book club or cinema club to join. My school has absolutely no extra curricular activities that aren't sports. My classes aren't streamed so I'm stuck doing ordinary level everything.Its all stuff I did at the beginning of second year and I'm bored out of my mind. Film-making is a waste of time, we do nothing in community work and I can't even work ahead because I have no books for anything other than French. I hate all my teachers. I don't even have any trips this year. I'm not going to last an entire year staring at a wall because we're not learning anything.

Advertisement