Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY, It's rubbish.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yap it is because ms tarty was in the head of ty i have her now for bs i no more than she does

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i did TY last year......and i thought it was a brilliant year

it really is a year that u get what u put into it.

i worked my arse off all year tho..especially for our mini-company (paid off, came fourth in the Blastbeat All-Irelands)...

others who didnt do anything didnt find it as good..but thats their own fault...they put nothing into it so they got nothing out

our TY co-ordinator was absolutley brilliant aswell tho...she really put in 110% and without her it would hav bin crap...thanks miss!!

if u hav a good teacher and a good class its a deadly year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

xbox36016 wrote: »
    yap it is because ms tarty was in the head of ty i have her now for bs i know more than she does

That never helps either. My TY Co-ordinator was rubbish never organised any trips at all aside from a Junior Cert celebration trip to the Aran Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Friday morning review with Doc and Dicey eh....ah the good old days....If I've the school right wait til after Christmas when ye have Gail and get her to take ye. This new VP sounds like a right PITA, a teacher even mentioned it to me...none of his business anyway, up to the TY co-ordinators.

You're not expected to get up and make the phone call, (though we did give the phone some great use) but you should tell the teacher what you want to do and hassle them til it gets done.

We did the Hunt, St. Mary's Cathedral, King John's and a walking history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

yep same wit me....all we do all day is play cards....wer going 2 paris nxt week tho....bu dats it 4 da rest of da year until our next work exp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ninty9er wrote: »
    Friday morning review with Doc and Dicey eh....ah the good old days....If I've the school right wait til after Christmas when ye have Gail and get her to take ye. This new VP sounds like a right PITA, a teacher even mentioned it to me...none of his business anyway, up to the TY co-ordinators.

You're not expected to get up and make the phone call, (though we did give the phone some great use) but you should tell the teacher what you want to do and hassle them til it gets done.

We did the Hunt, St. Mary's Cathedral, King John's and a walking history.

Sounds like we did the same TY programme ninty9er! ;)

Gail is out on maternity leave at the moment. Did local studies with her last year (including all the activities you mentioned) and enjoyed it alot. Was great to get out of the school during the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

TY was awesome at the start, but when February/March creeped in you begin to think how much of a waste the remaining time left is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jelly:)

As so many people have already siad you get out of ty what you put in, I am currently in TY and am the busiest I have ever been!! Ty in my school is really good, my co ordinator is evil but that said she does organise lots of trips and competetions etc.
    There are so many things I have going on at the moment!! I have never been so busy in my life!! To mention a few of the things I am doing; peer education, Ctyi law and psychology course, German and English debating, all ireland drama finals and all the usual things in ty of course.
    I love Ty and Im enjoying every second of it, but it doesn't suit everyone and there are people in my year that don't get involved in anything and then moan about it being a 'waste of time'. If you tend to sit back and let others do the work ty will be a waste of time so my advice is to get involved in everything you possibly can, ty will fly by in no time!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

can you not repeat da LC when you repeat? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

sorry i meant can you not repeat the LC when you "do TY!"...My bad!..:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ambrosia

Yes of course you can! Im sure what you heard is one of the old reasons not to do it ''What if I need to repeat?''. You certainly can repeat but it just means you'll be a year older when you do. If that makes any sense. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

AFAIK - You can re-sit the Leaving Certificate at any age you wish, as many times as you wish. You're allowed to re-sit it for free once (i.e your second time to sit it). After that, you've to fork out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dbarcari wrote: »
    I already did say we tried to organise trips around the city, but were shot down by teachers and higher ups.

:eek:There are no higher-ups than teachers.:D

Was it insurance concerns that stopped your trips?
    Were you given a reason or just told that they were not happening?

The cuts in the last budget badly affected cover available for supervision on trips and the proposed levy has hit goodwill (which many TY schools depend on) hard.

TY varies hugely from school to school, but overall, it certainly appears to make a big difference when it comes to performance in LC, among students of similar ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ok, seeing as you're all saying TY is so crap. I'll post my experience of it.

What did I do during TY? Well, I got involved in pretty much anything I could, and gave everything organized my all. I came out of the year after having two kick ass trips with everyone in my year. One to delphi which I'll never forget, and one to belgium. We made a very...poor quality movie...very bad :o but I got to be the editor of it and that was fun. I ended up with a basic first aid qualification, did a self defence course, was able to swim a bit better, got history student of the year ( no idea how...), oh, and we organised a banquet for all the teachers (about 70) plus TY students, all catered for and organised by the TY's. So much other stuff during the year too.. How could you not enjoy it!

Honestly, TY is what you make out of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CM is right, and that's not something I admit easily!!
    got history student of the year ( no idea how
    Aye, I've never figured that out either!! :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

When you're all cramming away for college exams you'll look back on TY (and probably even the LC) very fondly, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

TY
    is most definatley indeniably Crap
    So many promises
    So much stuff they had planned for us
    Yeah Guess what
    that went down the drain after our trip to carlingford
    :|
    i must say im going to fail 5th year because of TY
    theres no work ever
    except read twilight which ive already read
    i can imagine some replys
    if u think ur going to fail maybe study
    well thats feck all use when teachers dont really help u or bother with classes
    one or 2 classes we actually work
    the rest nothing
    its killing me slowly

marko93 wrote: »
    So much stuff they had planned for us
    Yeah Guess what
    that went down the drain after our trip to carlingford
    :|
    So what happened on your trip to Carlingford?

Eh we did activities and ****
    But if you mean did we do anything wrong
    no we didnt
    he never said anything or whatever
    oh and btw if you mean what activites
    we did courses for team building
    we did a hike up to the place
    we made new friends :P(there just happened to be an all girls school there too ;) )
    oh and we went out on kayacks which was great
    it was the best part about TY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Have to say i didn't like it at all and I'd much rather be doing the LC this year instead of having to wait another year now. It was alright up until around christmas in the sense that you didn't do anything and you could relax..but after that it got very boring and nothing was organised or done apart from a trip to donegal in september

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭paddyb125

I didn't find it very worth while either...

Eh we did activities and ****
    But if you mean did we do anything wrong
    no we didnt
    Fair enough, you did make it sound as if something might have gone pear-shaped tbh! :)
    we made new friends :P (there just happened to be an all girls school there too ;) )
    Wait ... !! :eek:

(I jest, I jest! :P)

I did ??
    Sorry :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭autograph

I think it should be optional.

TBH it should be gotten rid of unless your school is rich otherwise you can't really enjoy it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

TY is the biggest joke of all time. Long time ago now, but it introduced me to all sorts of anti-social behaviour. Don't get me wrong, best time of my life, but I do rememember teachers used to big it up all the time. Used to mitch half of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vidic15mu

If you haven`t noticed,we`re in recession!!
    I`m in 3rd year and don`t really want to do it!
    But how it`s being professed to us is like telling us we are definately going to get a job and the recession will be automatically over the minute we hand up that last LC paper....

But it`s looking like i`m on my own on this....
    Although it`s optional because our year is relativley small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

autograph wrote: »
    I think it should be optional.

It's optional in most schools that I know off (although typically the one school I went to it was compulsory)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'm in 5th year, didn't do ty. A lot of the people who are in my year now seem to have really enjoyed it. All the teachers say it "makes them more mature". To be honest I think it has nothing to do with the extra year, or the time to organise things, it's about each individual person.

Advertisement