Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY, It's rubbish.

Options
  • 27-12-2007 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Seriously.
    "OH YOU'LL DO THIS AND DO THAT"
    That's what they said in 3rd year and at the start of 4th year.

And they haven't held true to their word.
    And when our class asked during friday morning review, we were told it was our fault because we had to organise all this stuff.
    Us, the students.
    We weren't told that at the start of the year.
    If we knew that, we would've organised something.
    And then the year head goes off into some rant about how teachers get tired.
    We have tried to organise trips to places before in conjunction with teachers, but of course, according to our yearheads, it's too much bother.
    We wanted to go to the hunt museum.
    But no, our vice principle decided it was "inappropriate" because he couldn't see the sense in a history class going to a mueseum.
    Wtf?

Anybody else having problems like this in TY?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

I think the idea is you organise stuff yourself though? That's what we did when i was in TY anyway. Just go to the teacher with an idea for a project or anything you can think of. eg. make a school magasine, enter some competitions for something or other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Luckily, our TY sounds to be far better organised than the first post and I kid you not, we have the TY Co-ordinator to thank. He organises all the activities and just encourages us to partake in them. The response he gets is very positive.

If I was in your situation, I'd be mighty pissed that some lazy teachers have destroyed your TY. If I were you, I'd get your parents to complain because from he sounds of it, your own initiative is being ignored.

Obviously, TY requires a certain amount of participation and co-operation and for it to be of any valid use, the students must help with some of the operations and activities but not to the extent you mentioned. That would appear to be simply ridiculous.

I hope it improves for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

Our TY coordinator organises almost everything for us which is great. The only condition is that he doesnt get any complaints from other teachers about our behaviour. If there are complaints he stops organizing things which is fair enough I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

hughes2558 wrote: »
    Our TY coordinator organises almost everything for us which is great. The only condition is that he doesnt get any complaints from other teachers about our behaviour. If there are complaints he stops organizing things which is fair enough I guess.

Ha Bribery....

We had to pay to do TY.........yet we didnt get much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

How much? We pay to re-register in school every year. normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

I teach TY metalwork/engineering
    At the min I'm doing a simple JC like project with 1 large class that I have for a double once a week....
    I am bringing another class (1 single a week) to work for the f1 inschools event.
    My problem is that the large double group I have act like 6 year olds and as a result I treat them as such with simple projects just to keep them occupied....If I had a small group of well behavied Ty's I'd love to try some new stuff Like CAD Drawing,Decorative Metalwork and CNC modelling...
    My point is its up to Ye as a Group...If you want to be treated like kids behave like Kids.....Simple AS....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

This is why you should have skipped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

slickmcvic wrote: »
    .If you want to be treated like kids behave like Kids.....Simple AS....

Thats not the point though really, fair enough if we were behaving as such we would only deserve to do nothing. But we dont, generally.

Yes, we have to pay a "voluntary" contribution each year, and this year on top of the TY fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

People will argue whether TY is good or bad but it depends on the school and the person. For me, I hated it. Because I got really lazy and didn't take part in any of the activities that weren't compulsory. I forgot everything from the Junior Cert and I don't think any school no matter how good TY is in it,prepares you for the Leaving Cert. It really is a kick when you get into 5th year.

If you like school in general, TY is good, but for me I have a lot of my close friends outside school (posh private school - doesnt suit me!) so I got bored going on the 'educational trips'. Though in fairness, we did go to the zoo! :D

Anyway, I think taking a year out to work would be much better. Get a bit of money - gain experience of the big bad world. Much better than 'make your own magazine' projects :rolleyes:

I think TY should be improved to gear you towards the LC because you only get 2 years to do it which actually flies by - and this is something that will influence most people for the rest of their lives. eg. Study skills, essay writing classes, but also modules to get you interested in the subjects...

Sorry for the long rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Have to agree with above poster my school was completely renovated cost 15 million i think but the organization in my school is woeful great school **** teachers only been on 3 trips Limerick university ], gym and ice skating every other school can go on foreign trips
    I raised the issue to teachers cause I am on the student council just got a spiel bout something happened one year had to stop think it very unfair making large generalsations about people our age tis stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Mr.S wrote: »
    and be 17 going into college? no thanks.

As the great philosopher, Titos Zagorakis said ''age is irrelevant as long as the mind has the mental capacity''

But seriously whats the big deal 17 in college, like ok if you were like eight and strolling into UCD everyday I would be like fair enough, but at that age there is no big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dbarcari

iFight wrote: »
    I think the idea is you organise stuff yourself though? That's what we did when i was in TY anyway. Just go to the teacher with an idea for a project or anything you can think of. eg. make a school magasine, enter some competitions for something or other
    Did you not read my post?
    I did say we tried to organise a trip to the hunt museum for the history class, and for all you other people, transport wouldn't have been an option because at the start of the year we had to sign something that said "If the destination is within 20 minutes of walking distance, the student can walk to the destination unaccompanied by a teacher but must arrive on time".
    A history class going to a museum? Yes, that's innapropriate, yet the local studies class can go, even though all they do is doss off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dbarcari

slickmcvic wrote: »
    I teach TY metalwork/engineering
    At the min I'm doing a simple JC like project with 1 large class that I have for a double once a week....
    I am bringing another class (1 single a week) to work for the f1 inschools event.
    My problem is that the large double group I have act like 6 year olds and as a result I treat them as such with simple projects just to keep them occupied....If I had a small group of well behavied Ty's I'd love to try some new stuff Like CAD Drawing,Decorative Metalwork and CNC modelling...
    My point is its up to Ye as a Group...If you want to be treated like kids behave like Kids.....Simple AS....
    Well there's deffo a problem there, but it's not all of the students fault, some of that lies with you.
    You either control the class with a reign of terror and get a terrible reputation, you control the class with reasoning and try to understand the students and become popular with them i.e. We had the best english teacher ever for our first module. She was teaching us english, poetry to be precise. And we thought it was a load of crap, but then her exact words were "If you people can't relate to poetry, I'll make poetry relate to you".
    Or you could just be the teacher that tries a little, sees that the students don't really care and then adopts the 'nonchalant' attitude.

But whatever.
    I strayed off topic there, sorry.

And as to your last point " My point is its up to Ye as a Group...If you want to be treated like kids behave like Kids.....Simple AS...."
    That's a little harsh.
    I already did say we tried to organise trips around the city, but were shot down by teachers and higher ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

T.Y is PANTS...we went for a really SAD WALK in the woods last week before hols...we are being told everything to do ...but everything we recommend is ignored...tis a pity i did this but instead i could have taken year off after leavin cert..:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

jesus lads ya's all go to sad schools, come to mine everything is considered!:D

:cool::cool::cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

TY was a good laugh when I did it, but going in to fifth year I realised it was a waste, would much prefer to be in college now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kmf

yeah i found ty so bad in my school that i actually moved up to fifth year a month in..left some of my best friends behind but am soo glad i made the move!!

i think it kind of depends on the person tbh...like whether your anxious to get out of school or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

TY in my school has been quite good so far. We've gone out alot and all of TY is involved in the school play which is on next week. It's been a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

As the great philosopher, Titos Zagorakis said ''age is irrelevant as long as the mind has the mental capacity''

But seriously whats the big deal 17 in college, like ok if you were like eight and strolling into UCD everyday I would be like fair enough, but at that age there is no big deal.

He's rigjt, I'm 17 in college and the most I'd get is, "Wow you're young in college!" from one or two people, doesn't ruin your social life either as some expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

dbarcari wrote: »
    Did you not read my post?
    I did say we tried to organise a trip to the hunt museum for the history class, and for all you other people, transport wouldn't have been an option because at the start of the year we had to sign something that said "If the destination is within 20 minutes of walking distance, the student can walk to the destination unaccompanied by a teacher but must arrive on time".
    A history class going to a museum? Yes, that's innapropriate, yet the local studies class can go, even though all they do is doss off...

Well then ask for something different. If you are constantly rejected tell your teacher what you just told me. Try in school projects maybe, you'd have a better chance of it being accepted if it didn't require leaving school i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cris-2fer

same happend to my class..... the year before us had a session on the overnight trip so we couldnt have one...... was really bad... highlight of the year ruined...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

cris-2fer wrote: »
    same happend to my class..... the year before us had a session on the overnight trip so we couldnt have one...... was really bad... highlight of the year ruined...

Nice for a first post :D:D:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

cris-2fer wrote: »

Ha ha, we waited for the end of year tyrip to delphi to do that. Illegal drugs and all.

Our TY was ok, it would have been nice to have gotten out of the classroom a bit more, but the complete lack of having to do work made up for that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

My TY is soooo good :) the co-ordinator spends loads of time organising trips and cool modules. Anything she's offered we're offered too. Somedays its a bit boring and you're left sitting there wishing you were in 5th year, but then at lunchtime when the 5th years come down to us (TY's not compulsary, all my best friends went on to 5th year) and they're all stressed over homework and tests, you feel sooo good :) crapping it about next year and subject choices though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 camogie-girl16

i hate ty most of the time. all we have are projects and more projects and more projects...SOOOO much fun!! haha...:mad:NOT!!!

we were told of all these modules and classes we could take like legal studies and psychology and then they were only given to 30 people out of the year(around120 people cos its compulsory!)

we've gone out on 1 trip to see a few plays that some of the ty's were in and we were supposed to go to town to go charity collecting but it got cancelled and then it was supposed to be reschueled but it wasnt...anyways my 4th yr is crap...xceot were goin to carlingford for 3 days in april...about the only good thing we've done all year!

sorry i hafta moan t somebady!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Archebald

o ,m g its so true like i go to school in cork and im in 4th yr and its the biggest load of ****,
    we do nothing AND becausee of this yr im dreading nxt yr coz it will be impossible to get back into things:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Initially I was a bit concerned about skipping TY and going straight into 5th year as I was worried I might miss out on a few things.

Since then I have been told that the TY in our school is actually crap and that some people have taken up a job instead. The good thing is that we did work experience as part of LCVP and my History class got to go to Poland so I didn't really miss out on anything too worthwhile. I'm also getting on better in 5th year than 3rd year.

In the end skipping TY was one of the best decision I've ever made. :)

I suppose the moral of the story is that the school will often lie about TY or go about their objectives the wrong way and that 5th year may be a better choice than you think. =D

In relation to going into 5th year after 4th year, based on what I've seen from last year's 4th years (it was compulsory for them so they make up most of 5th year) it seems a bit difficult. At the start of the year most of them didn't seem to know where they were at and some still don't. In general last year's 3rd years tend to get on a lot better. I'd imagine if you try to boost your work ethic towards the end of the year or over summer it might be easier to get back into doing proper work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

After i did trasition year in Limerick, i actually forgot how to write for a few weeks in 5th year, due to the complete lack of work we did that whole 4th year. seriously. A good laugh but not essential.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

it depends on the quality of the TY coordinator, and how the school view TY.

i did it, and I ended up doing more work in TY than I did in 3rd year - it really is a year that you get out what you put into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I did Transition year about three years ago and once I went into 5th year was seriously shocked at the difference because there was no work involved

To be fair there were a few decent things about it like the School Magazine and Work experience but overall it remains a complete doss in my eyes

Advertisement