Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People checking their phones in the cinema

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I do it all the time. I'd shield it a bit so it's out of the way of the other people around, but I'd never notice anyone else doing it! I tend to not notice the things around the screen in the cinema, but that's just me.

Everyone loves a good complainin' don't they!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Only ever had to answer my phone once in a cinema..it was an emergency.

Don't check my phone in the cinema..can survive without it for an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I just don't go to the cinema anymore. Get a nice TV and a nice chair and pirate everything. It's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

^^also beats annoying sh!ts talking up the back/banging the back of your seat.
    *Breath*

Thank god I only go once in a while..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't say it bothers me much. More important things in life to moan about.

like people coming over here robbing our jobs and christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

for me is very annoying and rude and unpolite and self-image-destructive...hate that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I hate people who breathe. Who the feck do they think they are?

magick wrote: »
    http://phonejammer.com/

i have a portable one of these and i have no problem in the cinema anymore !

:D

Hahahaha you paid 200+ for one of those? Christ, you have too much money on your hands!

And what if someone had an important phone call?! Those things have gotta be more of an inconvenience to everyone else than a bit of light in your peripheral vision is to you. Selfish yoke ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

They're also nice and illegal

• Advertisement

I can see why!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Only ever had to answer my phone once in a cinema..it was an emergency.

Don't check my phone in the cinema..can survive without it for an hour or two.

You really had to answer it, because it was an emergency?

God if only phones had some sort of function that allowed one to see who called them and indeed any called they missed. Then it would be pure genius to allow you to call that person back at a convinient time.

Ah well, we can always dream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

When I went to see The Assassination of Jesse James, some guy answered his phone about two hours in, loudly told the person on the other end the film was "boring ****e", but was staying "cause I wanna see how it ****in' ends".....I mean, he interrupted my enjoyment of the film, but it's worth it for the laugh that got. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Faraday Cages FTW.
    or these little babies, illegal or no: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/26/mobile_jamming/

It annoys me. I've asked numerous people to stop. I remember during the 3rd Pirates of the Carribbean some eastern european person took out their phone and proceeded to take a call, at which point I turned around and punched his leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

It's funny to see this topic because this absolutely wrecks my head. I'm fairly tolerant of all the other cinema stuff - crunching, whispering, people going to the bathroom every 5 seconds etc, but I can't stand it when some selfish moron takes out their phone in the cinema. It's one of those things you just don't do, and most people understand that, but you always get that one irritating person. It's REALLY distracting, and I can't concentrate on the film while there's an irritating blue light flickering in my peripheral vision. I think people just don't realise it affects other people because they're so damn self centered. Well, yes actually, we CAN all see that one little light in a totally dark room. If you are so pathetic and needy that you can't go 2 hours without checking your phone, stay away from the cinema. There are hundreds of other people there as well who are coping fine without texting every 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

at which point I turned around and punched his leg.
    Violent w**ker. No excuse for that at all.

I really cant see that much of a deal with this at all. I am very intolerent of people talking, messing, answering phones, etc etc. in a cinema. But this one I dont get.
    Somebody checking their messages? Come on guys.

I do it and will continue to do it. I am conscious of the glow and do hide it at an angle and between my legs, but I wouldnt be hateful towards someone who didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I don't do it because I don't have any friends. However, I don't mind anyone else doing it

Do you moaners complain when someone presses the light on their watch, to check the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Do you moaners complain when someone presses the light on their watch, to check the time?

I think we should stop complaining and start following boneyarsebogman's punching them policy.

There is no ****ing need to check the time/messages/take phone calls in the cinema. There is no excuse for it, its ignorant and rude. Everybody paid quite a bit of money to go to the cinema to watch a film, not to watch tossers who think the world needs to know how they are sooooo focking busy they need to check their phone all the time.

I bet these people wouldnt be half so quick to do the same thing while sitting in the front row of a stand up comedy show - because they know they would get the **** ripped out of them - and rightly so - by the comedian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Anyone else pay that 17.50 a month and see as many films as u want thing? Class!

jackal wrote: »
    I think we should stop complaining and start following boneyarsebogman's punching them policy.

There is no ****ing need to check the time/messages/take phone calls in the cinema. There is no excuse for it, its ignorant and rude. Everybody paid quite a bit of money to go to the cinema to watch a film, not to watch tossers who think the world needs to know how they are sooooo focking busy they need to check their phone all the time.

I bet these people wouldnt be half so quick to do the same thing while sitting in the front row of a stand up comedy show - because they know they would get the **** ripped out of them - and rightly so - by the comedian.
    There's no need to eat food in the cinema either. Should people get a punch every time they rustle a bag of popcorn or crunch a malteaser? It takes days to die of starvation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It annoys me. I've asked numerous people to stop. I remember during the 3rd Pirates of the Carribbean some eastern european person took out their phone and proceeded to take a call, at which point I turned around and punched his leg.

Too right, send them home! Better still, go to their home country and put your phone on inside a cinema and see how they like it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

This whole thread gets a "Meh" from me.

Get over it, it's not like there have been any movies good enough to immerse you fully in the last few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jackal wrote: »

Jesus, take a valium next time. You sound like the cranks on the bus who freak out because they think they can hear sound leaking through the headphones of someone else on the bus. No dear, that'll just be the voices whispering to you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

I just tell them loudly to get out and stay out and it usually makes no differance unless I actually get up and go visit them in their little burstable bubble. Tag every one and if your scoring to high in every day life then you suffer the consequences,namely watching what used to be your fave film 16 hours a day.Or even worse being forced to star im a real life version of your own life tilll you die or run out of lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

david1two3 wrote: »
    I just tell them loudly to get out and stay out and it usually makes no differance unless I actually get up and go visit them in their little burstable bubble. Tag every one and if your scoring to high in every day life then you suffer the consequences,namely watching what used to be your fave film 16 hours a day.Or even worse being forced to star im a real life version of your own life tilll you die or run out of lines.

ya wha gay?

I also didnt understand that one bit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Some nonsense about blurred perception of fantasy and reality. Oh and voices...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Stark wrote: »
    Some nonsense about blurred perception of fantasy and reality. Oh and voices...

I hear voices too but I still couldn't understand that

Advertisement