Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People checking their phones in the cinema

Options
  • 18-12-2007 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

A nice dark cinema, the film is engrossing... along some c*nt opens some flippy phone emmiting a blue humming vibrant colour... even in perifiral it seems to intensify!

I'm actually curious, in that i think what more enrages me is the outright brazenness to not conceal it, just the balls out perfect for their line of sight, no cover to crotch to avoid stinging our eyes.

Anyone else want to pour battery acid on this guys head?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I can't stand it. You're clearly asked to turn off your phone before the start of the film.

If you can't go two hours without checking your phone, then don't go to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Totally agree with the op, they are just ignorant cnuts. Battery acid for the win :) Or a baseball bat to the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Its not on... whats worse are the people who ring soneone wile in the cinema...

I was a a film a few years back and some young girl rang her friend telling her what was happing and was this the part where the lead gets killed...

I wanted to kill her...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't even notice it. Maybe if you concentrated on the movie instead of looking for things to complain about, you wouldn't get so upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Maybe they have no watch and are just checking the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

lezizi wrote: »
    Once they're not planning on leaving early why should they care what time it is? They're not going anywhere until the film ends, and once the film ends there would be no reason for them not to leave. So why should the time matter at all?

It is very annoying. It is impossible to ignore in your peripheral vision (at least for me) and it totally takes you out of the movie. The problem is that people don't realize that it bothers others. They think the only issue with phones in cinemas is that they don't ring. Well, that obviously applies, but there is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Wacker wrote: »
    Once they're not planning on leaving early why should they care what time it is? They're not going anywhere until the film ends, and once the film ends there would be no reason for them not to leave. So why should the time matter at all?

It is very annoying. It is impossible to ignore in your peripheral vision (at least for me) and it totally takes you out of the movie. The problem is that people don't realize that it bothers others. They think the only issue with phones in cinemas is that they don't ring. Well, that obviously applies, but there is more.

What if they're checking to see if the film is nearly over ;) and no they cant just leave cos their OH is enjoying it :D

Ah no I totally agree, it can be a headwrecker and is quite distracting, it's worse when ppl leave their phones on or play with their ring tones, seriously some feckin group of lads did that one day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yeah that sort of thing makes me wanna go and slice the cinema screen in half.

No not really no.
    Its not that annoying now is it...
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    I don't even notice it. Maybe if you concentrated on the movie instead of looking for things to complain about, you wouldn't get so upset.

Maybe you guys have never been right behind and to the side of the person who's checking their phone. When the cinema is as dark as it is and someone has their phone out for 10+ minutes you can't help but notice the very bright screen even in peripheral vision. It's quite annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I cannot stand it - it's incredibly distracting and it's one of the main reasons I sit towards the front of the cinema now, to lessen the chance of being disturbed.
    Even when movies are engaging the light can still get in the peripheral vision and distract me.

It's inexcusable - the people aren't checking the time either as they're almost invariably bashing away at the phone keys for a minute or so.

It's all further justification for my plan to have a sniper, night-vision goggles attached, in every cinema to take out these, and other, miscreants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I always do it. I wouldn't answer a call or text someone though its just to check the time really. I would never notice someone else doing it, because normally Im looking at the screen not the people around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

eo980 wrote: »
    Maybe you guys have never been right behind and to the side of the person who's checking their phone. When the cinema is as dark as it is and someone has their phone out for 10+ minutes you can't help but notice the very bright screen even in peripheral vision. It's quite annoying.

Well I don't go the cinema ever, I can't stand the sound of all the people eating popcorn it drives me mad, I always end up walking out because of it.
    But on the rare occasions i have been at the cinema I've been guilty of taking out my phone to check the time, it is usually just before i walk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eo980 wrote: »
    I guess I'm just lucky. But I would have thought that probability would suggest that I have indeed sat behind and/or beside someone who has used their phone. And I managed to get through it without having a conniption!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

DaveMcG wrote: »

I agree most times I can ignore it, but when they make the mistake of sitting beside me and doing it - argggghhh ph3n0m smash!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

It's obviously not as bad as people answering their phones, but it's still head wrecking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

When somebody sits beside me and breathes throughout the entire duration of the film, it makes me want to kill.

Also, as someone mentioned above, the sound of popcorn being eaten makes makes me get physically sick. It is so inconsiderate that everybody conspires to make me vomit all over myself forty times in one night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Jfla

It drives me mental. I cant enjoy the film until the phone has been switched off. Cinema rage. See myself starting a row over it one of these days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

nads wrote: »
    A nice dark cinema, the film is engrossing... along some c*nt opens some flippy phone emmiting a blue humming vibrant colour... even in perifiral it seems to intensify!

I'm actually curious, in that i think what more enrages me is the outright brazenness to not conceal it, just the balls out perfect for their line of sight, no cover to crotch to avoid stinging our eyes.

Anyone else want to pour battery acid on this guys head?

WTF is perifiral?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

WTF is perifiral?

Ahh now c'mon there's no need to get smart, you know what he meant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yeah, I hate those inconsiderate bastids too.
    Not to mention the fckers who open sweet packets and chew away loudly during the film, or drink their softdrinks through straws even though they KNOW at some point it's going to make that half air half drink sound, or those absolute assholes who actually have the cheek to get up and walk OUT of the room to go to the bathroom, then come back in and block my view, YET AGAIN. Don't even get me started on the couples who actually have the nerve to kiss eachother in public, and actually make noise in doing so or distract my viewing from the screen with their movements. Bastards, each and every one of them.
    When I'm in the cinema, I want complete and utter silence and everyone to be sat rigidly in their seats, if they've gotta eat, chew gum.

Some of you guys would literally complain about anything, relax, there's a whole lot more in life to be stressing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Tell them to stop?
    Guess it's easier to give out about them on t'internet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Yup. i do this! I only do it when I'm not really enjoying the film though and am wondering how bloody long more I have to endure it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Op just because you may have no friends who want to contact you doesn't me I dont I turn my phone to loud when I go to the cinema so I will definetly hear when people ring I might not answer but I need to know they were ringing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I really really Hate people who complain about everything on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,060 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rob_l wrote: »
    Op just because you may have no friends who want to contact you doesn't me I dont I turn my phone to loud when I go to the cinema so I will definetly hear when people ring I might not answer but I need to know they were ringing

Sarcasm? please.

Otherwise that is a real jerky thing to do.

Every think of using the VIBRATE function on your phone?

Doodee wrote: »

I hate everything on the internt

Tauren wrote: »
    Sarcasm? please.

Otherwise that is a real jerky thing to do.

Every think of using the VIBRATE function on your phone?

What I didn't put a real funky ringtone on my phone so I could have it on vibrate what sort of idiot do you think I am:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Doodee wrote: »

I think we need to setup a website that gives out about people that give out on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Faraday Cages FTW.

Advertisement