Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Migaloo

Has anyone the misfortune of dealing with this company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mollieor

Yes!! They are infuriating.

Luckily I paid through PayPal and raised a complaint with them and after being ignored by Michael Murphy for weeks with no reply the issue was resolved within a day with PayPal and full refund given.

I've never experienced more shocking customer service, couldn't even get an answer about a delivery date even though my product was paid for etc.

I'd never go near them again, lovely furniture but not worth the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Migaloo

I had the same experience.
    After purchasing furniture I received an E-Mail to confirm the order 7/ April and that the furniture was in stock. After waiting 2 Weeks I heard nothing from them so I rang their office and was told they had a safety problem in their warehouse, and they had a backlog. The delivery should be about week later. Another week later and still nothing, so I rang again. This time the person on their help desk wanted to know if I was going to collect the furniture myself ???? I told her if she bothered to check my order she would see that the delivery was paid for.
    Then I decided to Mail their sales desk instead (3 times) quoting all the details of my order and asking for a delivery date, to which they did not even reply.
    Afet 5 weeks of waiting and getting no information as to the delivery of the furniture i rang and cancelled my order.

I will never do any business with Michael Murphy's furniture company again. I have never had dealings with such an unprofessional company. Do not believe a word of their customer care they post on their web site....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Yes - we had a long wait for furniture. Eventually getting it in drips and drabs. A year later we were still waiting on a coffee table. Husband rang them and said to just leave it.

Months later he was still getting phone calls saying that we owed them for it. Husband explained numerous times that we never got it and he cancelled it. We had paid for it advance so they actually owed US the money. Almost 3 years later we never received a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Awful experience this week with Yodel. They were passed I parcel I sent to the UK with another company a few weeks ago - something I wasn't aware was going to happen - and I discovered it's been sitting in their hub for three weeks. Their customer service is completely non-existent: the people on web chat don't answer questions properly and finish the chat if you push them to answer something, and keep citing "data protection" as the reason for not telling me why the parcel is stuck (despite the fact that I have the tracking number and my name is clearly on the returns label. My brother, to whom the parcel is addressed, has also been told he can't be given any info because of "data protection"). Phone line is automated and hangs up after you give the parcel details, and there is no email. Most frustrating consumer experience I've ever had.

On the other side, I'd really recommend Gorey Cycle Centre. Friendly, knowledgeable staff who didn't push me to buy a new bike outside my price range (a problem I'd had elsewhere), and who offered to help box up the bike if I needed to send it to the UK. And they threw in a free bell, and told me to get in touch the minute I had any issues. A great experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Migaloo wrote: »
    Has anyone the misfortune of dealing with this company ?

I bought several pieces online from them last year. Very easy experience, everything was delivered exactly when they said it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barton1

1. Holland & Barrett -> worst Customer Service Ever. It is like talking to bots for 4 months and none want to take responsibility. 10 open tickets and always how much they are sorry for not assisting, but they are there for me :D They owe me cash vouchers that blame some system for not there and eventually would get them. Piling up from 10 euros to 20 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barton1

Holland & Barrett -> worst Customer Service Ever. It is like talking to bots for 4 months and none want to take responsibility. Next day order gets delivered over week and a half, items credited back 2 weeks after. Cash vouchers not credited correctly. 10 open tickets and always how much they are sorry for not assisting, but they are there for me :D They owe me cash vouchers that blame some system for not there and eventually would get them. Piling up from 10 euros to 20 euros since February.

Has anyone had similar with Holland & Barrett?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oconnor.mike81

Never had dealings with H & B before.

But the first line in the response from Argos was below.
    the email I sent to is <help@argos.co.uk>
    Subject: Catalogue number 548/7673 Hitachi 48 OLED UHD 2D

Thank you for your email regarding the above. I am sorry for the delay in responding. For future reference, our email account is largely unmanned

How can such a large company have an email address that is unmanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Good
    Parkingtag.ie
    I was driving along North Circular road in Dublin yesterday on my way to the Dublin V Kildare match and was looking out for a parking spot - there weren't too many people at the match. So I noticed the parking signs around the Mater were Mon-Sun 7am-24:00. I got a spot on NCR, just down from the old Big Tree pub, glanced up at the parking zone and noticed it was red and just assumed that it was Mon-Sun, so I paid for 3 hours parking using the app. Got out of the car and realized I was in a spot that was only paid parking Mon-Sat (had paid 7.40). So I thought feck it, my mistake.
    Got to Croker and just emailed them about my mistake. Then got an email back this morning asking for my reg number, which I replied with and 7.40 was refunded to my account!
    Great service for my mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Ordered a piece of furniture through the site. 350 euro. Delivery date was supposed to be 2/7/19 still nothing. Rang then. They told me to contact the merchant (dreams living) presuming it’s coming from them. Rang dreams living, they told me to contact living social/wowcher as they can’t provide me with a delivery date!! Fuming as I’ve lost out on 350 euro.

Started a refund dispute with PayPal that will take up to 30 days to review. Hopefully I get answers and a refund.

Anyone else have or had problems with this company recently or in the past ? What happened and what was the result?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think this one is settled enough now to recount - wanted to make sure there was no further communication for a bit!

Had a tolltag with Easytrip for over 10 years. They forced a replacement of the tag - paid for - due to its age last year, and bundled in a puncture protect product I told them I neither wanted nor needed with it FOC.

That product - that I never bought - was then renewed automatically and I only noticed when it appeared on my monthly statement when doing expenses for work. Requested it be removed and refunded by email, got a nonsense reply and after a few mails back and forth got told I had missed the cooling off period - for a product I never bought - and it could only be cancelled on renewal

Phoned them to emphasise that I had never bought it and got the most aggressive staff member I had ever dealt with there in the huge period of time I was with them; further refusing to refund it.

Cancelled the account, charged back the last payment on my credit card and even got a refund for my outstanding balance from them - presumably automatic - that wasn't adjusted for the chargeback. Moved to eFlow who don't require prepayment and don't charge for topups so will probably save me a fractional amount over time too.

Moral of the story - adding products like this is not an acceptable business practice. You will lose long term customers doing it. I used well over €1k of tolls a year, and they lost me for a tenner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eir store gave the wrong details on a sim deal I needed for a device for work, basically giving me a calls package I didn't want instead

Got through first ring to customer care who got it sorted out in minutes. Never happened before and likely never will again but it's worth commenting on when it does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Arnotts is somewhere I have noticed a big change in relation to customer service staff. My more recent experiences (last few years really) have been very good with very helpful and pleasant staff.

I have emailed my praise to them after one recent customer service experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi shopping in carrigaline this afternoon,bread section-
    Looking for the weekly deals wholemeal reduced normally to around e1.60 + ,
    I'm 60 don't need reading glasses to shop at Dunnes,Aldi,Lidl etc,but honestly the bread labels were tiny and at angle tilted inward+ away from customers eyes
    Went to express checkout and to my horror bread I thought was reduced was actually e2.40 + too embarrassed to ask someone for help,but it got the better of me + asked for a manager,who called a more senior manager, grumpy boy who when I pointed out ref the labelling being tiny and turned inward and really not customer friendly - his reply was " yeah " nothing else ,left me standing there,I felt old and foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience like this in a store I frequent on a regular basis, in fact I've been going there since I was a child. The staff at this store are normally on the ball and very fast to help out in any way they can. Obviously you feel that you were let down and that's disappointing. I don't work there but I promise you that next time I call in there I will seek out the owner, Mr David Collins, and pass on your observations. Nobody should be made to feel "old and foolish" whether in a store or anywhere else. Have a good evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

denis1501 wrote:
    I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience like this in a store I frequent on a regular basis, in fact I've been going there since I was a child. The staff at this store are normally on the ball and very fast to help out in any way they can. Obviously you feel that you were let down and that's disappointing. I don't work there but I promise you that next time I call in there I will seek out the owner, Mr David Collins, and pass on your observations. Nobody should be made to feel "old and foolish" whether in a store or anywhere else. Have a good evening.

Thank you,I'm shopping there' years and yes normally the customer care in-store is brilliant,but on this occasion no,but this man definitely just wanted rid of me,I emailed customer care HQ ,and waiting a response

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Honda99ce

Horrible experience.

2 months waiting for order

Rang to say order in and they want 10% fee for restocking.

Told them I was told I would not have to pay this fee.

6 phone calls later...told store would contact me

No contact from store..told today when I rang again that they would call back in 15 mins..5 30..still no call

Sent email rang within 5 mins saying they tried ring me but couldn't connect...lies.

Just rang back now to say I still have pay restocking fee and store would be in contact

Absolute disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

who ?

who ?

Michael Murphy Furniture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Why are they looking for a restocking fee? Did you cancel due to the time the order took to come in?

seagull wrote: »
    Why are they looking for a restocking fee? Did you cancel due to the time the order took to come in?

Because I returned the item as was not happy with what I had orderd. Product was still in the box and untouched. Apparently look for it to put the product back in their warehouse. I have said I wont be paying and I am now waiting 3 weeks for a call from the store after been told on 3 occasions..they would contact me.

Never will I shop here again
    Daragh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Honda99ce wrote: »
    Because I returned the item as was not happy with what I had orderd. Product was still in the box and untouched. Apparently look for it to put the product back in their warehouse. I have said I wont be paying and I am now waiting 3 weeks for a call from the store after been told on 3 occasions..they would contact me.

Never will I shop here again
    Daragh

Is this a customer change of mind (not happy with what I ordered) or was there an actual fault with the product?

If it was not been taken out of the box, it would be hard to see how its faulty.

Its not clear from the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good
    Reads like a change of mind, so a restocking charge is very possible.

It read like a failure to deliver or late delivery first.

AirBaltic delayed my bags for nearly 72 hours back in December 2018. After all attempts to explain their legal responsibilities failed, I had to take a European Small Claims case against them.

A while ago (as in weeks), my local court phoned me to ask had they paid me - as they'd told them they would. Nothing at all had arrived so proper writ was filed

Money arrived by EFT overnight with the court case in the remittance info

That they refused to pay up initially is bad enough (it wasn't a huge amount of money - if I'd claimed on my travel insurance the two person excess would have eaten most of it) but telling the courts they'd paid and not doing it is particularly egregious. And this is the Latvian Government owned airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Had similar to last poster but with laptops direct.,.

They wouldn't take faulty laptop back after 24 days, ignored emails and no calls went through.

Got a writ and no UK court would take it as the amount was less then £600 so I had the paper from court but could do nothing with it.

Worst company ever in my experience.

Cowboys.

I had an awful B2B experience with Laptopsdirect that isn't strictly applicable to this forum (as nobody is legally a consumer there) but resulted in me moving the last 10k a year or so of purchasing left with Laptopsdirect to Datapac in Wexford instead, for a very slight premium + actually getting support. Replacement hardware shipped before the faulty unit was even picked up and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Want to give due praise to Quickpark at Dublin airport. Trip to Italy cancelled so contacted them and asked for a credit as I'll park there the next time I travel and they refunded me straight away. I wish getting refunds from Ryanair and booking.com had been that easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Very pleasantly surprised by the passport office. 2 weeks from handing in application at post office to shiny new passport, and it was a first time application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Sent an email to The Olympia Theatre in Dublin about my buddy. We were going to see Paul Smith, the comedian but my friend is recovering from cancer, is very tall and bloated as hell. We were worried about the small seats in the stalls.

Got a nice email back and advised to talk to the duty manager at the door. We did, and were taken to a small box area with a simple chair and good view. It was ideal and very much appreciated. My friend was delighted as I had not told him.

OLYMPIA THEATRE !

Advertisement