Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the fire brigade be allowed to defend themselves?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

they should have cranked up the psi on the water pressure and blow a hole in the lunatic! why on earth do people do such mad things like come at four men with a samurai sword when all they were doin was there job, if the government don,t wake up to this now they,ll probably have a problem on there hands i.e. emergency services personnel going on strike or if worse comes to worse someone ending up seriously injured, i hope the gardai gave him a good seeing to back in the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrishFireServs

l Will try and keep this short,

Firefighters like anyone can defend themselves using reasonable force,

Section 185 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 makes it an offence to assault or threaten to assault fire brigade personnel during the execution of their duties. The penalty for this offence is a fine of 5,000 euro and 7 years in prison (or both). It is also an offence to obstruct or impede fire brigade personnel from carrying out their duties. This offence carries a fine of 2,500 euro.

Fire fighters are immune from legal action in the course of their duties within the Act's provisions.
    Offences under the Fire Services Act, 1981 and Criminal Justice Act 2006

We don't assault someone trying to attack us in particular groups of youth as we must be seen to be neutral otherwise we will have ambushes set up and individuals targeted the next time we respond to that area or person.In particular this is crucial in Dublin where people know that they can call an ambulance and get two firefighter paramedics to respond without helmets etc. We are there to help every member of the community regardless of some er persons behaviour. Let the Gardai sort that out.

Regarding extinguishing Fires

Under section 10 (2) of the 1981 fire services Act A fire authority shall make provision for the prompt and efficient extinguishing of fires in buildings and other places of all kinds in its functional area and for the protection and rescue of persons and property from injury by fire,

In short we are required to put them out not only to have an authority provide equipment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I work the Country Fire Authority in Victoria, Australia, and we have unbelievable powers in the event of a fire.

Then again, when you live in a country where a fire can destroy half a million hecters at a go, its not surprising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I have noticed that the issue is getting a lot of attention in the UK.

Fire crew attacks 'on the rise'.

Is this sort of carry on happening on a large scale here in Ireland also?

Yobs Attack Britain's Firefighters

It is an absolute disgrace!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Of course Firefighters can defend themselves using "reasonable force".
    Unfortunatley someone will see it as unreasonable and make a complaint and believe me when a complaint is made against a DFB Firefighter he/she is guilty until proven innocent.

Are you saying that the Gardai and courts are unfairly dealing with DFB members accused of assault?

• Advertisement
Advertisement