Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which diploma in Accounting?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Ha, are you applying for jobs already?

Good year doing the PDA, really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Santi101 wrote: »
    Ha, are you applying for jobs already?

Good year doing the PDA, really enjoyed it.

Well, getting applications ready at the moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ffoxylady

Santi101 wrote: »
    Some firms will pay a certain amount to reimburse you. I did the PDA last year and got around half of the fees back after i got the job.

Big 4 certainly do this.

And it was bloody needed too...........:pac:

That's good to hear :) just have to get a job now! Ha yeh I'm into my second wk of the PDA and it's pretty intense. Really enjoying it tho. When you got the job did u ask if they would pay any of the fees or did they just offer? If u dnt mind me asking which of the big 4 did u get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

PWC and its standard for them to reimburse you a certain amount, talking to other people the amount changes from firm to firm. They sent it out around the new year and it's welcome.

Yeah thought it was intense enough at the start, especially around the milk round getting applications sorted and then having to go to lunches, presentations, interviews. Once i got the job secured, just kept on top of the study and it was a fairly comfortable year. Exams were in January which was a bit of a pain but what can ya do........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla201

Hi guys,

I know this thread is old but hoping someone will respond. I'm in the same boat as all you guys. I come from an Arts Degree background, just worked in retail for a while after my degree, then did a H Dip into early childhood education. I've been working in Preschool/Childcare sector for two years now but I'm thinking of a whole career change and applying for the PDA in DIT or DCU. I'm 28 but actually feel like I'd be old doing the PDA as it would mean I'd be near 30 when I'd only be starting off a new job in the accountancy sector.(Please God!) Eeekk what are the age range of people on this course?

April in regards to your Post graduate diploma in Taxation, what career prospects did you have with taxation? Did you enjoy the course?
    I haven't done any accountancy since JC Business studies but I've always been good with numbers. I've done a Degree, a H Dip, and a post graduate cert to date, so if I invest in this course I really want it to be worth while with good career prospects. Just hope I can handle it!

Thanks,
    Orla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

orla201 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I know this thread is old but hoping someone will respond. I'm in the same boat as all you guys. I come from an Arts Degree background, just worked in retail for a while after my degree, then did a H Dip into early childhood education. I've been working in Preschool/Childcare sector for two years now but I'm thinking of a whole career change and applying for the PDA in DIT or DCU. I'm 28 but actually feel like I'd be old doing the PDA as it would mean I'd be near 30 when I'd only be starting off a new job in the accountancy sector.(Please God!) Eeekk what are the age range of people on this course?

April in regards to your Post graduate diploma in Taxation, what career prospects did you have with taxation? Did you enjoy the course?
    I haven't done any accountancy since JC Business studies but I've always been good with numbers. I've done a Degree, a H Dip, and a post graduate cert to date, so if I invest in this course I really want it to be worth while with good career prospects. Just hope I can handle it!

Thanks,
    Orla.

I did the PDA in DCU some time back.

Pros: The ICAI exams were a comparative doddle afterwards.OK, that's the only pro.

Cons: Not only is it in Dublin, but it's in northside Dublin. Surrounding areas were awful kips
    It's tough. Everyone in the class had at least a 2:1 degree (most of them southside Hurraw Henrys who went to UCD or Trinity and liked the northside of Dublin even less than me) but there was a high failure rate as it is intense and only a handful of people got honours. But employers want to see honours and explaining it to them that a first time pass is actually a real achievement in that course can be a hard sell. Maybe they mark it easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ffoxylady

I finished the PDA in DIT last year. It's a pretty intense course but if u put in the work it's manageable.
    There was about 30 of us in the class which was a small enough group. I found this good tho as every1 got to know each other better and it was easier to speak to lecturers.
    The majority of us were in the age range of about 22-26 and there were a few mature students too.
    The vast majority of us on the course got jobs out of it! Lyk I said if u put in the work u shud have no problem with the course and shud easily get a job! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MissyFee

I have accepted the PDA in DCU starting this September. Little bit apprehensive about managing milkround applications and the workload, but I guess I'll just have to suck it up. Delighted to hear some firms reimburse part of the fees, thought getting a place in one of these firms is a whole other matter I guess :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karlfoley

Does anyone know if there is an acceptance fee in dcu?

I have been accepted to DIT, on the condition of getting a 2.1 and have paid an acceptance of 300e..

I now am worried about not getting my 2.1 and am looking to apply to dcu as a backup.

I understand I may have to, but I don't fancy paying another 300e to dcu, if I do achieve the 2.1 for DIT in the first place.

Thanks in advance. Karl

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gabi2p

Hi All,
    I have a question. Maybe someone can give me a good advise. I am just finishing my first year wit ATI (awaiting exam results) and have two options: I can either continue with ATI, finish the second year and get Diploma (but at the full cost) or get financed the ACCA's CAT Cert. As I was informed If I pass my exams well I would get 2 exemptions. The thought of doing the course at no expense is tempting but which qualification makes more sense in IRL ATI Diploma or CAT Cert? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Limerick92

Hi

I have just completed the PDA at the University of Limerick and cannot fault it. Its by no means an easy course but 100% worth the effort. The lecturers are all qualified accountants with practice and industry experience.

The course does not get the publicity it deserves!

feel free to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 6 accountant2017

Has anyone completed the postgraduate diploma offered by Trinity... and if so, or you know someone who did it, do you have any feedback on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pink_Purple

Hi Accountant2017, I'm starting it in a couple of weeks. It's actually a brand new course so no-one would have completed it before now. It seems to be good, offering a couple more exemptions that DIT or DCU. Did you apply t any of the courses this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pink_Purple

Hi Accountant2017, I'm starting my PG Dip in TCD in a couple of weeks time. It's actually a brand new course so no-one would have completed it before now. It seems to be good, offering a couple more exemptions that DIT or DCU. Did you apply t any of the courses this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sujitha_suji

Hey,
    I have got an admit for Post graduate diploma in Accounting in TCD for 2017-18. I am about to complete my masters in strategic management & planning from UCD. I am non-eeu student. Is the course good? Modules? Professors?
    How many in class ? Has anyone got a job in practice/industry ?
    Is it good for me to inmediately start with new course after i complete my masters?
    And also I have completed BE CSE with 1:1 honours in my undergraduate program with 1year experience in that same stream. Will that be a good choice if I change my stream from management to accounting?

Advertisement