Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which diploma in Accounting?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ocean88

You should be able to get into the course with a 2.2. It's not as hard to get into as the one in DIT from what I've heard (again price and pass rate may have something to do with this but can't say for sure). There are some graduates with 2.2 degrees not sure how many though, 2-3 engineers, about the same number of arts graduates, by and large the majority are business/economics graduates. Large class of over 70 starting off.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

I spoke to the course co-ordinators today of both the DIT postgraduate diploma in accounting and the DCU professional diploma in accounting.

DCU, whilst accepting 2.2s, require a 55 point average or higher, so if you've got a low 2.2 they'll reject you.

DIT don't seem to have that same boundary, but they'll only give places to those who got 2.2s if there are spots left after all of the 2.1s have been offered and accepted. So if you got a 2.2 and are looking at doing this then you'll not know whether you've got a place or not until June when everyone else has got their results. This also explains why there's only two people with 2.2s on a course of nearly fifty; because they get offered the places only if there are spaces left.

I hope this has been useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SyntheticPaddy

Sorry to bring this same discussion up again but I'm trying to consider the merits of the whole DCU vs DIT PDA.

I'm trying to figure out if the extra €4k in DCU is worth it. I'm equidistant to both so travel isn't a consideration. I know the course at DIT is well regarded but I see the main advantages of the DCU PDA:

1. Higher university ranking......regarded slightly higher by employers??
    2. Higher quality of lecturers (?)
    3. Smaller class size
    4. Better careers service (?)

Ideally I'm looking at doing ACA afterwards, however if I went down the ACCA route, and according to the website, the DIT PDA gets additional exemptions in F6 tax and F8 Audit Vs DCU F7 Financial Reporting.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Is it correct that the PG Dip (the one you do if you haven't a previous clue about accounting! :o) in DIT leaves you with ACCA exemptions from F1 to F6 after you complete the year? :o

Can any past students of this give an idea of what the timetable was like for this course, like would it have been Monday-Friday 9-5 type structure or more/less?
    Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dubmad23

I have been looking at doing the PG Dip in DIT and was also wondering how people who have never done Accouting before have got on with it? Is DIT really easier than DCU?

I am currently working part-time in retail so am saving up to pay for it myself and it's not easy. I want to make sure that this is the right option for me so any advice of how difficult it is or the general pass rate in the class would be greatly appreciated.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hi,

Could someone who has done this course recently post up the timetables for both semesters please? I am trying to see if I can fit the course around my current job.

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There's a sample timetable on the dcu website here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ffoxylady

Hi every1,

Thinking of doin this course nxt sept (2013). Anyone started it this yr? Just wonderin what the timetable is like, course content etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

ffoxylady wrote: »
    Hi every1,

Thinking of doin this course nxt sept (2013). Anyone started it this yr? Just wonderin what the timetable is like, course content etc?

I started the course on monday up in jordanstown. Think you'll have to put the work in if you want to get through it. I've got a fair bit to do this weekend already. Lecturers are good and seem pretty helpful. Sem A modules are: tax, financial accounting, economics, business law, cost & quantitative methods. i really do think if your coming from a totally different background the course is a good idea

bigmc23 wrote: »
    I started the course on monday up in jordanstown. Think you'll have to put the work in if you want to get through it. I've got a fair bit to do this weekend already. Lecturers are good and seem pretty helpful. Sem A modules are: tax, financial accounting, economics, business law, cost & quantitative methods. i really do think if your coming from a totally different background the course is a good idea

yeh I'm prepared to put in the work to do this course, coming from an arts degree there is no career prospects out there with an arts degree anyways so im determined to up skill. If you dnt mind me askin, what is ur degree in? and what kind of work have you been given, do u have to do many essays and do u have to do a dissertation? ha sorry for all the questions:)

• Advertisement

yeh I'm prepared to put in the work to do this course, coming from an arts degree there is no career prospects out there with an arts degree anyways so im determined to up skill. If you dnt mind me askin, what is ur degree in? and what kind of work have you been given, do u have to do many essays and do u have to do a dissertation? ha sorry for all the questions:)

I've got a building - related degree. theres people in the class that have done politics and sports science. its early days yet so were doing exercises from text books which will prepare us for the class tests and examinations that are in the not so distant future and we will have to do courseworks aswell. no dissertation you'd only have to do that if you went on to do a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I've got a building - related degree. theres people in the class that have done politics and sports science. its early days yet so were doing exercises from text books which will prepare us for the class tests and examinations that are in the not so distant future and we will have to do courseworks aswell. no dissertation you'd only have to do that if you went on to do a masters.
    Hey, thanks for all the info. Are you doing the DCU or DIT?

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for all the info. Are you doing the DCU or DIT?

Hi, bigmc23 isnt doin the DCU or DIT. s/he is doing the course in University of Ulster in Jordanstown. Are u thinking of doin the DCU or DIT course?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Hi, bigmc23 isnt doin the DCU or DIT. s/he is doing the course in University of Ulster in Jordanstown. Are u thinking of doin the DCU or DIT course?
    Cool, thanks (I didn't know where Jordanstown was :p ).

I'm planning to do the DCU course. I haven't done accountancy since Business Studies in Junior Cert (I'm doing a non-accounting degree) and I heard that they have a good intensive course to bring you up to speed.

I've been slightly put off by the decrease in the pass rate, but I can only presume that that's because of the change in structure of the ACA exams.

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Cool, thanks (I didn't know where Jordanstown was :p ).

I'm planning to do the DCU course. I haven't done accountancy since Business Studies in Junior Cert (I'm doing a non-accounting degree) and I heard that they have a good intensive course to bring you up to speed.

I've been slightly put off by the decrease in the pass rate, but I can only presume that that's because of the change in structure of the ACA exams.

same here I haven't done accountancy since junior cert either! I'm opting for the DIT course. From what i've researched the two are just as good as eachother but the DCU course is 2 grand more expensive! I've heard alot of companies send their employees to DIT to do the course if their primary degree isnt in accountancy.

hey guys, did any1 start the DIT course this yr? If so, just wondering if ya can give us a heads up on what the course is lyk? whats ur timetable like etc? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Have a friend doing it - seems to think it's fairly manageable although obviously busy recently with the milkround. He has two full days in, two half days, and one off which is dependant on what modules you choose.

Santi101 wrote: »
    Have a friend doing it - seems to think it's fairly manageable although obviously busy recently with the milkround. He has two full days in, two half days, and one off which is dependant on what modules you choose.

cool thanks for the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

I'm currently doing the PDA at DIT and I'm quite happy with it so far.

Based on the modules I selected my timetable looks like this:

Monday: 12-4pm
    Tuesday: 11-4pm
    Wednesday: 9-6pm
    Thursday: Off
    Friday: 9-12pm

As you can see its a pretty nice timetable but the course itself is quite intensive as your lecturers have to cover a lot of material in the 1 year. This basically means that you should try to stay on top of everything so you don't end up feeling left behind.

But having said that, if you are fully committed to the programme you should be fine because none of the material is particularly difficult.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't done accounting before at third level. I did a Financial Accounting module during my undergrad but now 5 weeks into the PDA and it already feels like we've covered pretty much everything that I knew previously about the subject (that's how fast-paced the course can be!)

-

• Advertisement

As you can see its a pretty nice timetable but the course itself is quite intensive as your lecturers have to cover a lot of material in the 1 year. This basically means that you should try to stay on top of everything so you don't end up feeling left behind.

But having said that, if you are fully committed to the programme you should be fine because none of the material is particularly difficult.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't done accounting before at third level. I did a Financial Accounting module during my undergrad but now 5 weeks into the PDA and it already feels like we've covered pretty much everything that I knew previously about the subject (that's how fast-paced the course can be!)

Thanks for all the info its great to hear from some1 doin the course!:) are the class sizes big? an hw r the lecturers(easy to approach/tlk ta etc)?

Class size is probably around 60-ish. The lecturers are mostly grand and generally know their stuff. Classes aren't particularly interactive but most lecturers are usually available to chat to after a lecture if you have a question or whatever.

Some lecturers even go one step further and put up the solutions to questions done in class online which is really handy if you can't make it to a lecture for whatever reason as you will most likely miss a few days due to interviews and presentations during the milkround!

Class size is probably around 60-ish. The lecturers are mostly grand and generally know their stuff. Classes aren't particularly interactive but most lecturers are usually available to chat to after a lecture if you have a question or whatever.

Some lecturers even go one step further and put up the solutions to questions done in class online which is really handy if you can't make it to a lecture for whatever reason as you will most likely miss a few days due to interviews and presentations during the milkround!

cool, thanks! i'm pretty much convinced ill do this course nxt sept. did u have to get two academic references when u applied for the course? have u had any luck in gettin any interviews during the milkround?

I think I only gave one academic reference and the other from my previous employer. Once you have a 2.1 or 2.2 in your undergrad they should accept you no bother.

Regarding the milkround I will admit its been a bit slow for many of us so far. The ones who are getting the most interviews are former engineering students; the Big4 seem to like them for some reason. Maybe its the 500+ leaving cert or maybe they are just "logical thinkers" or some such.

I myself only got 2 interviews so far (E&Y and Mazars) Competition seems really tough this year as it seems that everyone is trying to get into accountancy now because lets face it, it's one of the last sectors that still take on graduates in large numbers! (i think i saw a survey recently which stated that over 50% of all advertised graduate positions in 2011 were in accountancy/finance functions) :eek:

I would agree with eveything here. I'm doing the PDA up in jordanstown. The course material isn't that hard but the amount of work you have to do makes up for that. We're essentially trying to squeeze a commerce degree into one year. The lecturers fly through stuff and your expected to do a lot of work on your own to hand in to class. Three people dropped out so far. I'll be behind now because i devoted a lot of my time into milkround applications and will be away at interviews in dublin. Doubt i'll have much of a christmas as a result :( Just letting you know these things, but if you do manage to get through it i'd say your more attractive to a potential employer

I would agree with eveything here. I'm doing the PDA up in jordanstown. The course material isn't that hard but the amount of work you have to do makes up for that. We're essentially trying to squeeze a commerce degree into one year. The lecturers fly through stuff and your expected to do a lot of work on your own to hand in to class. Three people dropped out so far. I'll be behind now because i devoted a lot of my time into milkround applications and will be away at interviews in dublin. Doubt i'll have much of a christmas as a result :( Just letting you know these things, but if you do manage to get through it i'd say your more attractive to a potential employer

when u say u av to do alot of work on ur own to hand into class what r u referring to (essays, sample questions?)? do ya think its possible to have a part time job while doin the course?

when u say u av to do alot of work on ur own to hand into class what r u referring to (essays, sample questions?)? do ya think its possible to have a part time job while doin the course?

Yeah like working through question banks that the lecturer does up or questions out of books. They'l ask for hand ins every week or so and select ones for marking at random. Part- time job? Not, just now. Milkround and getting to grips/staying on top of work this semester wouldve been too much with a job. I might look for one in semester 2 though depending on how things go

Yeah like working through question banks that the lecturer does up or questions out of books. They'l ask for hand ins every week or so and select ones for marking at random. Part- time job? Not, just now. Milkround and getting to grips/staying on top of work this semester wouldve been too much with a job. I might look for one in semester 2 though depending on how things go

Well in DIT you won't be REQUIRED to do homework every week that will be graded by your lecturers. Will you however be regularly given questions to do and they will tell you basically "do them for your own good as similar questions will be in your exam."

I will agree with bigmc23 on the point that you would find it very difficult to manage college, study and a part-time job during Oct/Nov when you will spend alot of hours in the evenings filling out applications forms and preparing for interviews etc. Maybe after the new year things will calm down a bit...

Hey guys! just wondering hw ur all getting on with the course? hws it been so far, hw were exams etc? I've just been offered a place on the DIT course for September! can't wait to get started :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 mikey125

I'm in the DIT PDA. I'm really enjoying it and find it is not too difficult.

I think its pretty ok once you keep on top of all the material. It does move quite fast so I advise to pay attention in class and make sure you can complete the questions. If not you're going to make it very difficult for yourself come exam time.

The exams this year were quite difficult compared to recent years.. But that might be because alot of us had been expecting the papers to be similar to previous years.. And they were not!

Overall I think it's a great career move, but make sure you enjoy crunching numbers!! Great job prospects, most the people I know in the class all already have jobs lined up.

Advertisement