Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which diploma in Accounting?

Options
  • 08-12-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I am planning to do one of the PDAs next year, either the DCU Professional Diploma in Accounting or the DIT Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting.

I'm wondering which is better. I live in Dublin 6 so DCU isn't exactly convenient but I'll manage to get out there if I have to.

Have any of you done a PDA or have friends who've done a PDA and heard which one's better. Money isn't an issue. I know the DCU one is far more expensive but I'm being sponsered or whatever.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

tywy wrote: »
    I am planning to do one of the PDAs next year, either the DCU Professional Diploma in Accounting or the DIT Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting.

I'm wondering which is better. I live in Dublin 6 so DCU isn't exactly convenient but I'll manage to get out there if I have to.

Have any of you done a PDA or have friends who've done a PDA and heard which one's better. Money isn't an issue. I know the DCU one is far more expensive but I'm being sponsered or whatever.

Thanks!

i know ppl who have gone to each.
    it doesn't matter a damn where you do it.
    all that matters is exemptions

go dit, go cheap, go convenient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

great! thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

see you in dit ;) im doing that diploma too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

Thanks!

To me doing a PDA is pointless, just get on with the ACA /ACCA exams

Not when you're an engineering graduate who didn't do accounting for the leaving...

I've been recommended to do the PDA by most people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ladystar66

I did the PDA in DIT, it was good, I also know ppl who did both and got offers from the big 4. I would go for the one which is most convenient. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was sent out on graduate recruitment this year for my firm (a Big 4). We were briefed on possible questions and answers. We were told to recommend PDAs to people in situations like the OPs, so it seems that the big firms like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 starla_pumpkin

Hey,

I am thinking of doing an Postgrad in DIT in Sept 2009, and I was wondering if anyone has done this course who would be able to tell me about the structure and what the optional modules are like?

Thanks,

Starla.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

An alternative is the ACCA Dip Financial Management.

Sort of pitched as upskilling for non-accounting managers. Offered at various business schools around Dublin. Of course it can be taken independently also. Part time. Tough enough going at times but very good IMO.

PM me if you'd like to know more about my experience.

SPin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

Spinnaker wrote: »
    An alternative is the ACCA Dip Financial Management.

I think the OP is looking to become a Chartered Accountant (ACA). The courses in DIT and DCU (and one the the University of Ulster) offer exemptions from the first stage of the ACA exams (CAP 1) and shorten the training contract by six months to three years. The ACCA Diploma you mention doesn't do that and isn't really an alternative for anyone looking to become a Chartered Accountant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

It isnt reeally clear what OP is seeking to do just an alternative diploma but you make a good assumption for sure.

I'm not interested in full blown accountancy and for all readers never looked into exemptions the DIP FM might gain.

I was looking to do the PDA to get my exemptions... almost there now in DIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

The DIT website says there are three core subjects and six options.

Core:

Financial Accounting
    Management Accounting
    Taxation

Options:

Auditing
    Business Information Systems
    Business Law
    Economics
    Financial Management
    Management Science

How many options do students take? Do they all give you the same ICAI exemptions?

CAP1 includes Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Taxation but it also includes Finance and Law, so does that mean that I have to do Financial Management and Business Law as my options to get full exemption from CAP1?

Do you have an idea how many people in the class already had contracts and were encouraged to do a PDA by their employer versus how many were doing it to improve their chances of getting a training contract?

Yeah you're right, we had to do Financial Management and Law for the exemptions.

You need to do 60 credits to get your diploma. Some subjects are worth more than others.

I don't know exactly how many people had contracts... I think about 30-40% of the class going in and then I'd say another 20-30% got offers in December. I'm not very good at judging though...

If you're thinking of doing a PDA without a contract this year, I'd think very hard about it because the firms are offering people money to take a year out and start their contract in September 12 months. This means they won't be hiring that many in the milkround in November...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I think it's most likely I'll be starting in September 2010.
    Good luck with your exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 zamur

I was looking to do the PDA to get my exemptions... almost there now in DIT!

Tywy or anyone else!

I have been offered a place on this Diploma, starting in September - haven't decided if ill accept or not yet. I was just wondering what you thought of it in general? I haven;t teh prospectus to hand so was wondering is it just over two semesters or is there a summer term also? - How many modules do you have to do each semester? In general how difficult did you find it?

Cheers!

It's done over 2 semesters, so I had this summer off.

The content isn't too hard, I did fine with attending lectures and a few weeks study coming up to the exams.

The course is alright, it gets you your exemptions. Naturally, some lecturers are better than others. I only did it because the firm I'm joining encouraged it because I'm coming from a non-accounting background.

Are you doing it yourself with a view to doing the Milkround in October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 zamur

Cheers for the reply!

Basically Ive just finished a masters and there's no hope of getting a job - esp with my undergrad!

I did the milkrounds last year basically cos the career guidance in college sed to! - got interviews in all of them, did one, made a mess, convinced myself that the recession wasnt as bad and that I'd get a job related to my undergrad/masters so I cancelled ALL of the other interviews! Lets say I made a slight mistake!!Plus I hadn't really a clue of the whole ACC secne - I had the bean counter view!Didn't know it actually involved so many other areas!

So now that Im slightly more aware of the ACC scene and jobless the options are do the dip in ACC or waste a year doing nothing! And its not even a year! From experience Sept-May FLIES!!

I suppose the view would be to do the milkrounds again - I know there's all the stories of no one is employing etc... but I've been in touch with a few companies and they are hiring! Just I suppose the criteria for getting in will be harder and the benefits worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ianmicks

hi starla pumpkin , just wondering if you went ahead with the dip in dit? if so wud u recommend? thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thegaffer24

I did this course last year and I would recommend it, I think it gave me a good understanding of accounting and was helpful this year. If you keep on top of the work then its an easy enough year. Also you have the summer off so you can travel before work which is cool.

I thought the lecturers were good, all were approachable if you needed them for anything. Some subjects were more useful than others but overall I enjoyed it. I thought I got a good grounding in the main subjects and that the lectuerers knew their stuff.

If you have a training contract already, then it does exactly what the firms want you to get out of it. If you don't, plenty of people found jobs last year (myself included) so it is useful from that point of view.

Thought the class was mixed and most people got to know the majority of the class. There was good interaction between the class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Hi,

A question for those who have just done this Diplomas in Accounting.

Could you please tell me if I could do this course in part-time or full time in the evening?

I can't go to classes in the mornings due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tazamia

dudara wrote: »
    I was sent out on graduate recruitment this year for my firm (a Big 4). We were briefed on possible questions and answers. We were told to recommend PDAs to people in situations like the OPs, so it seems that the big firms like them.

Does any one know if this is still the case? I am thinking of doing the DCU one starting in September.

tazamia wrote: »
    Does any one know if this is still the case? I am thinking of doing the DCU one starting in September.

Are these Masters/ High Diplomas in Accounting meant to be taken before or after completing your ACCA, ACA or CPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭backtothebooks

Galego wrote: »
    Are these Masters/ High Diplomas in Accounting meant to be taken before or after completing your ACCA, ACA or CPA?

I think that generally it's most advantageous to take them before the professional exams as they provide you with generous exemptions.

I think that generally it's most advantageous to take them before the professional exams as they provide you with generous exemptions.

Thanks for the advise.

Are these Masters as tough (low pass rates) as the ACCA and ACA to complete? Are they generally passed within the 1 year full time/ 2 years part-time time frame?

How dedication and work do you have to put on them?

I am looking at few of them, perhaps go for the one at Independent Colleges. Does anyone have any experience on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭backtothebooks

Galego wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise.

Are these Masters as tough (low pass rates) as the ACCA and ACA to complete? Are they generally passed within the 1 year full time/ 2 years part-time time frame?

How dedication and work do you have to put on them?

I am looking at few of them, perhaps go for the one at Independent Colleges. Does anyone have any experience on this one?

The professional exams would be considered much tougher than the diploma or even the masters in accounting. Usually you are looking at 1 year full time and 2 years part time and as with everything, yes, they do require dedication and a lot of work.
    As for the Independent Colleges one that you refer to, I don't know anything about it - is it a diploma or a masters? The important thing if you're considering the professional exams down the line is whether there are exemptions available as a result of passing the degree/diploma.

The professional exams would be considered much tougher than the diploma or even the masters in accounting. Usually you are looking at 1 year full time and 2 years part time and as with everything, yes, they do require dedication and a lot of work.
    As for the Independent Colleges one that you refer to, I don't know anything about it - is it a diploma or a masters? The important thing if you're considering the professional exams down the line is whether there are exemptions available as a result of passing the degree/diploma.

Thanks again for the reply.

The course which I am look at the moment is the Masters in Accounting at the Independent College. I am thinking of doing part-time in 2 years.

I was looking at the ACCA exmpetion site but Indepedent Colleges is not listed. I will have to email and find out about exemptions.

I couldn't find any Diploma in accounting which runs part-time. Is anyone aware of any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 May11

I'm in my final year of my structural engineering degree at the moment. I'm applying to the postgrads in DIT, DCU and NUI Maynooth. Depending on my thesis result there's a chance I may come out with a 2.2
    Does anyone know what my chances would be of getting the postgrad with a 2.2? It's just that I haven't had the opportunity to speak with anyone who's done the accountancy dip.

Thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ocean88

Just want to give a heads up to those looking towards doing the PDA in DCU. 2/3 of the class failed the exams last year (a hand full passed the repeats to gain pass diplomas, the rest failed the course). This year the number looks to be higher. There is a noticeable dropout rate during the year. At €7500 it's not cheap for what you're getting into. Intended to be a conversion course (it's pretty tough going).

Amusing accounts of students who failed their semester one exams on consultation with their examiner were: Examiner:"I'd put money on it that you've never done accounting at third level"(for a course advertised as a conversion course for non accounting graduates, bit of a funny comment). Examiner:"Under a previous standard that would have gotten you the marks but not now" to a student 2% away from passing his paper.

Put major thought in before going for this course. A good qualification if you can put your head down and pass the exams. Other than that I'd rethink your options. With training contracts thin on the ground, wages down and overtime up, you would need to know just how committed to pursuing a career in accounting you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 May11

Just want to give a heads up to those looking towards doing the PDA in DCU. 2/3 of the class failed the exams last year (a hand full passed the repeats to gain pass diplomas, the rest failed the course). This year the number looks to be higher. There is a noticeable dropout rate during the year. At €7500 it's not cheap for what you're getting into. Intended to be a conversion course (it's pretty tough going).

Amusing accounts of students who failed their semester one exams on consultation with their examiner were: Examiner:"I'd put money on it that you've never done accounting at third level"(for a course advertised as a conversion course for non accounting graduates, bit of a funny comment). Examiner:"Under a previous standard that would have gotten you the marks but not now" to a student 2% away from passing his paper.

Put major thought in before going for this course. A good qualification if you can put your head down and pass the exams. Other than that I'd rethink your options. With training contracts thin on the ground, wages down and overtime up, you would need to know just how committed to pursuing a career in accounting you are.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm giving it serious thought at the minute and really appreciate the practical advice. I'm pretty certain accounting is what I want to do. I considered it during school but ended up choosing engineering. I've enjoyed the degree but I've decided it's not what I want to spend my life doing, so I think now would be the time to change direction. I also looked into economics dips but I think the accounting dip is better suited to me. I'm willing to put in the hours and I've passed some pretty difficult exams, and I've no doubt this will be as demanding if not more so.

I'm concerned about the entry requirement in DCU, I was told by the course director in DIT that they had only 2 students with a 2.2 primary degree in the class. I'm fairly confident of a 2.1 but not certain as my thesis isn't exactly going to plan. Would you have any idea what the chances of gaining entry onto the course would br like with a 2.2 in DCU?

Advertisement