Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Brazilian wax.

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

On a similar note anyone have an epilator?
    Which ones are the best, and how much do they hurt?

GinnyJo wrote: »
    On a similar note anyone have an epilator?
    Which ones are the best, and how much do they hurt?

I shelled out nearly a hundred squid for one once.
    I used it for 15-20 seconds, it brought tears to my eyes.
    It now resides behind my fancy shoes in the closet.

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Ive done brazilians myself and my personal preferance would be to use the strips NEVER the stuff you heat up, the hard stuff just seems to hurt soooo much more

I find the strips really painful and Veet wax never works for me, it always leaves hair.
    I buy babyliss wax from a Salon Supply store, actually I bought the whole kit.
    Its really cost effective. A 10 euro tub of wax lasts me 4-5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭john_aero

razor is crap, stubble etc.....

ya i know, after 1 day the stubble can be very sore too

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Midna wrote: »

does anyone else find that waxing increases their sensitivity?

Yes! Majorly! Was in shock! (In a good way ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Don't do it Crumble Froo - leave that area to the pro's. there's going to be areas that you can't see so you won't get it right.... tried it meself once - went black and blue :eek:

im gonna try it. been professionally waxed on my legs before, and it didnt even last two weeks. was not impressed at all, well a waste of money, might as well have shaved. wana try this out anyway.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Do You want to do the Hollywood for the bikini Froo?

*shrugs* teh bits i'd normally shave, i'd like to see gone for longer.
    i wax, the trick is to moisturize after. lots.

i find shaved is more sensitive anyway... probably just the lack of hair... will let you know if i find a difference after wax.
    Be careful not to overheat the wax... did that once.. ouchies!!!!:eek:

yes, the instructions to specifically warn against that. :eek:
    What brand of wax did you get?

haha, nads, i googled it to give you a pic, and, amusingly... found it on this site...
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.strangenewproducts.com/uploaded_images/naughty-nads-bikini-design-kit-714291.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2005/11/naughty-nads-bikini-design-kit.html&h=372&w=400&sz=18&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=ukErUCM7J1uUcM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnads%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

and no, i do not intend to use the shapes (well, first time anyway...)

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Ive done brazilians myself and my personal preferance would be to use the strips NEVER the stuff you heat up, the hard stuff just seems to hurt sooooo much more

never found the strips too effective tbh. could never do a thorough job on it.
    I just get the Veet strips, the ones that come in the box. i have bought the one you heat up in the microwave every now and then but I don't like when I have to try walk like John Wayne down the stairs to heat it up again!! And I just find the strips work better!!

I just bend, put a leg here, put a leg there,stretch this and that bit of skin and it works for me!!

haha, again, never found the veet too useful, but i live in a small flat, so hte microwave is next to the bathroom and the bedroom, so pretty handy on that count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mc23

funny video......and a catchy tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3EtytFfwvg

*shrugs* teh bits i'd normally shave, i'd like to see gone for longer.

I was going to say that I don't know if a Hollywood but work, but then Lil smiler said she does it herself.

I don't actually find the bikini line sore compared to some parts of the leg, the secret is keeping the skin taut and taking off small patchs at a time. Oh and never wax anything when you have your period...big ouch!
    I use an alcohol spray before to remove the natural oils, it makes it more effective. Wetting the aera before will make it less.

Nads is meant to be a less painful wax.

dont have alcohol spray so not gonna use that... if i like the waxing experience, they recommend some other products, cant remember now, exfoliation, anti-ingrown cream, which ill gladly buy if i can get the other bit working, but not committing that much financially to something that im so wary about...

and what's this about period time? how come? i was kinda planning on that, tbh. gives me some time to muck about with it and hide any bad results, particularly the inevitable redness, and probable burns (knowing me :rolleyes:).

has anyone used the wax that you just peel off first before? i dont entirely get how it works, and will most certainly be apprehensive about it later. think im gonna bite the bullet this weekend... eep!

It is much the same if you use neat spirits....although you might consider that a waste.

I don't know why but your just more sensitive to pain when you have your period.

I've used that kind of wax before on my eyebrows and like you I was really apprehensive.
    But it was great, the least painful. It goes on thicker and pulls away easily.

• Advertisement

yes. i would not waste my alcohol on that. doing it tomorrow, though, i think. yikes. the b/f will be hungover and sleeping mos tof hte day away, im planning on, so should happen then, wheil he is oblivious, i sould hope.

my period has still not happened... im starting to get antsy... had thought i'd be well into it by this weekend. good to hear it was easiest. im not all that fussed about pain, tbh. between facing my ultimate phobia with a biopsy a year or so ago, and getting my leg tattoo piece, im pretty sure i can take most things (at least in a voluntary sense) at this stage). im sure that if i go through with it... you'll hear the entire commentary of the procdeure tomorrow (ah! help help, i got through half the hair and chickeneed out! what do i do?! ) hahaha... was gonna say pussied out there, but thought it might not be the most appropriate choice of words. or perhaps too appropriate. im not sure.

oh christ! i dont think ive ever counted to three so many times just for nothingt o happen... 1... 2... 3...

*doesnt do anything*

though liking it so far. and used barely any wax considering the size of the tub, which is making this fantatically cheap in the long run. $20 for the whole pot, and it's still practically full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aoifers

Would anyone of any recommendations for a good salon in Cork where I can get a good brazilian wax. Moved down here a year ago and am getting really frustrated with the brazilians I am getting here. Used to go to Urban Wax in Dublin who did an impeccably 'thorough' job. Have not found a salon in Cork to replicate the experience. They always avoid the embarrassing areas and do not remove all hair. Any suggestsions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Wibbs wrote: »
    Speaking as a guy and only my opinion I prefer well trimmed or brazilian. It's better for sex, especially oral for a start and looks better IMHO.

I can't believe it took a man to explain it!! Girls you are missing out if you don't know the real reason for no hair! (either that or you have a crap lover!!) It is MUCH better for making love...and feels nice in the shower too! :rolleyes:

Had talc powder put on it before hand back home, really helps. I just keep talking, that distracts me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

ozchick wrote: »
    I can't believe it took a man to explain it!! Girls you are missing out if you don't know the real reason for no hair! (either that or you have a crap lover!!) It is MUCH better for making love...and feels nice in the shower too! :rolleyes:

Had talc powder put on it before hand back home, really helps. I just keep talking, that distracts me!!

A man eh...

My wife has a full grown at the moment and I can get stuck into that no problem. :)

Like the Hollywood occasionally as well.

Like they say...

Variety is the spice of life. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Aoifers wrote: »
    Would anyone of any recommendations for a good salon in Cork where I can get a good brazilian wax. Moved down here a year ago and am getting really frustrated with the brazilians I am getting here. Used to go to Urban Wax in Dublin who did an impeccably 'thorough' job. Have not found a salon in Cork to replicate the experience. They always avoid the embarrassing areas and do not remove all hair. Any suggestsions?

I know what you mean. I used to use Brazillia but can't find anything approaching it in Cork. The strip wax everyone here uses is not a patch on the stuff that sets around the hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Kleefar, I was referring to a woman's pleasure, not a man's access :rolleyes: *giving a good natured clip to the back of your head*:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

yeah, im having similar problems here in southampton.

i've been to two salons who told told me they use hot wax, only to be given a strip wax instead :o the first place was awful, left with little blood dots everywhere, but the second place i got it done in was actually quite good. it was *slightly* more painful, but i think thats just cause i hadn't had it done in a while, and it was much cheaper and just as quick and effective.

the girl who i got it done from said a lot of salons dont use hot wax because its much more expensive, a little less hygenic, and messier. i can understand it from the salons point of view, but i explained to her that i was very disappointed as i had been told they used hot wax, and she apologised profusely.

so while i'd sort of prefer hot wax, i'm happy enough to stick with the strip wax and a brazillian for 16 euro! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

16 quid????!!!!!!
    Book me in, will ya, sista!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VickyPollard

I've sub-zero pain threshold so would not be able for the brazilian...your BF would love it, but whats it like when its growing back??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

mc23 wrote: »
    funny video......and a catchy tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3EtytFfwvg

Brilliant tune, was expecting the video to be funnier though..
    I was going to say that I don't know if a Hollywood but work, but then Lil smiler said she does it herself.

I don't actually find the bikini line sore compared to some parts of the leg, the secret is keeping the skin taut and taking off small patchs at a time. Oh and never wax anything when you have your period...big ouch!
    I use an alcohol spray before to remove the natural oils, it makes it more effective. Wetting the aera before will make it less.

Nads is meant to be a less painful wax.

Is Nads that stuff in a red tub with a little devil on it??? If yes - VERY PAINFUL!!! Actually couldn't stick the pain any more, so ended up with 1 waxed and 1 unwaxed half..Who said symmetry is fashionable anyway..
    Mairt wrote: »
    +1.

As for myself, I trim, very tight.

Do like!
    i wax, the trick is to moisturize after. lots.

I always thought you are not supposed to use anything after waxing because the skin is so sensitive??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I got a basic Brazilian in Brazilia last week. The girl used Lycon hot wax. You can get it mixed with all sorts of aromatherapy oils and it was bright pink and distracting... Lovely, friendly professional staff. Wasn't too painful and wasn't embarrassing.

Looks nice and feels clean, girlie and neat. I'll be going back on a regular basic methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

No never have and doubt I ever will. Expense of it alone puts me off..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

Never have & dont think i could..ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

jeez dont know where ye are getting them done but i paid 38e for mine! oh and to all the guys n gals out there leave it to the pro's!
    There is a particular type of wax they use in salons for that because it works better for the coarser hair!
    and on another note the guy i was 'involved' with was not the motivating factor and was not informed of my decision - which was basic curiosity!- but when he did find out..was eager to see the results !! ;)

ptashka wrote: »
    Is Nads that stuff in a red tub with a little devil on it??? If yes - VERY PAINFUL!!! Actually couldn't stick the pain any more, so ended up with 1 waxed and 1 unwaxed half..Who said symmetry is fashionable anyway..

really? that's the stuff i used, and i found it grand. especially once the first time is over with, the hair is less dense, and shorter then.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

I'm all for Brazillia, I used to get a Hollywood done. I think they're brilliant, but it still does hurt like hell and is an expensive habit. I'm in the middle of a course of laser, getting a californian done. Its working a treat and it gets rid of hair forever. I don't like the way a lot of guys seem to expect it though, thus putting pressure on girls to have it done. For me, its a hygiene thing and I find I feel sexier and I can wear nice lingerie and not worry about lady garden foliage peeking out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

I shelled out nearly a hundred squid for one once.
    I used it for 15-20 seconds, it brought tears to my eyes.
    It now resides behind my fancy shoes in the closet.

Me 2 eplilators are the devil!!:eek: ok well they're really bad like!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

ash xxx wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of a course of laser, getting a californian done. Its working a treat and it gets rid of hair forever.

Would love to get this done and think I'm gonna try and save up for it as its quite expensive.
    Used to wax my own bikini line but had a very bad experience around a year ago, the wax got stuck and no matter how hard I pulled it would not come off, I ended up having to snip it off with a scissors which was not easy as the wax was so close to the skin, ouch:( I was black and blue afterwards:eek: Never again!! I leave it to the professionals now:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

I've always wanted to try a brazilian but I don't know if I could handle the pain. Having read the thread though I think I'm going to bite the bullet!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement