Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod touch advice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Was thinking of getting one of these myself,looks really good. What is the quality like on the video? I presume I can load movies and tv shows that I have on my pc onto it,yes? Would they look good on it?

Also I must ask the super-noob question when it comes to tech stuff,because my head just melts around this stuff...what exactly is jailbreaking? what does it do to the ipod? *hangs head in embarrasment*

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tvnutz wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting one of these myself,looks really good. What is the quality like on the video? I presume I can load movies and tv shows that I have on my pc onto it,yes? Would they look good on it?

Yes, but I doubt iPods support avi divx codecs yet, I'd say movies will need to be converted to mp4.
    Also I must ask the super-noob question when it comes to tech stuff,because my head just melts around this stuff...what exactly is jailbreaking? what does it do to the ipod? *hangs head in embarrasment*

Cheers :)

I think it allows 3rd party applications to be installed.

I'm sorely tempted as well, my only problem is the capacity. When shelling out that type of cash, I'd expect to be able to store all my music plus a good few videos. 16 GB is a little miserly in this respect.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Yes, but I doubt iPods support avi divx codecs yet, I'd say movies will need to be converted to mp4.

it is easy to convert them though,ye?

And I also agree with the capacity,it is a bit small for that kind of money,but personally I would never use that amount on music anyway,video on the other hand would take up a bit.

it is easy to convert them though,ye?

And I also agree with the capacity,it is a bit small for that kind of money,but personally I would never use that amount on music anyway,video on the other hand would take up a bit.

I don't know if iTunes converts automatically, but if not, I'm sure there are a load of free converters out there.

Nice,thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well, I'm using my 16GB touch to type this. So frickin impressed with the damn thing. Simply just the most super device. Loads of wow factor. For any of u thinking of getting one, just do it. U won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

it's a cool piece of kit alright but I still hate converting vids and i-tunes.... this is for the Wife... If they had more codecs like my zen I would get one myself and eat my words about fruit machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭tombren

I don't know if iTunes converts automatically, but if not, I'm sure there are a load of free converters out there.

have to convert all vids to mp4, itunes doesnt do this automatically but you
    can download videora for free to convert or buy dvdfab platinum, with this you can rip your boxsets episode by episode and stick it on your itouch

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Macspower wrote: »
    it's a cool piece of kit alright but I still hate converting vids and i-tunes.... this is for the Wife... If they had more codecs like my zen I would get one myself and eat my words about fruit machines!

Yeah, it's ok for a few clips now and again but it gets extremely annoying, rather quickly :P
    No problems with the touch anyway dude?

Mactard wrote: »
    Yeah, it's ok for a few clips now and again but it gets extremely annoying, rather quickly :P
    No problems with the touch anyway dude?

loads of problems... must be faulty?? wont allow me to play my xvids and avi files.... wont allow me to drag and drop..... have to use a special software to get it to work :rolleyes:

Apart from that it's perfect ;) many thanks for your excellent service.... I'm sure I'll have to get used to it and I can see me doing all the converting etc etc

As a matter of interest I see a baner add on your site for invisible shield.... it's a US link... I think the touch coud benifit from one.... so do I just order one from the US or is ther somewhere over her do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

They're not really necessary for the touch, the glass screen is quite scratch proof(however, the chrome backplate is like butter :D )... I've seen video clips of people rubbing their keys on the screen and it remaining unharmed....

Anyhoo, invisible shield are great... free worldwide delivery and a "lifetime" guaranty...although, there are cheaper options, such as best skinsever

thanks Mactard.... skin(s) ordered......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mull3T

yeah the whole converting thing is annoying...but its not tooo bad.....if anyone is wondering what jailbreaking is it the installation of third party applications on to your ipod touch...theres some really great ones..like the customize app or google maps..its in a league of its own as far as im concerned...GET IT! heres a nice link... check it out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR4Yx0LOvm0

Well, just made the plunge on ebay. Just under 300 shipped, so not an absolute bargain but still a good bit cheaper than the 2nd hand ones here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Well, just made the plunge on ebay. Just under 300 shipped, so not an absolute bargain but still a good bit cheaper than the 2nd hand ones here.

Well 300 is cheaper than the 399 the apple store here want :)
    You won't regret getting it!!

lafors wrote: »
    Well 300 is cheaper than the 399 the apple store here want :)
    You won't regret getting it!!

I know - it's incredible that you can save €100 so easily by going to the UK, and more again if you risk the customs from the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Got one yesterday !!!!!

Amazing !!!!!!:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

lets just say it was a very welcome Christmas Present`

And wouldn't you know it, the wife had bought me one for Christmas as well! Looks like there'll be one up on adverts soon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Heading to US (Florida) next week - nayone know what the retail $$$$ price over there?

I presume there is a saving but how much??

Cheers in advance...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore

apple's retail prices are static across their webstore and retail outlets.

you will find it difficult to find a shop over there that will undercut the apple store prices.

$299 for 8gb
    $399 for 16gb

with the dollar being so weak i'll be getting an iphone for $399 which works out at like 270 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Cremo wrote: »
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore

apple's retail prices are static across their webstore and retail outlets.

you will find it difficult to find a shop over there that will undercut the apple store prices.

$299 for 8gb
    $399 for 16gb

with the dollar being so weak i'll be getting an iphone for $399 which works out at like 270 euros.

Not bad alright... will have alook around...

Cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Would definitely suggest the iPod Touch. I got one for Christmas and I'm very impresses to say the least. Not only is it good for music and videos, it is also great for using the Internet via wifi (I'm typing this post on the iPod Touch right now as I'm listening to Rihanna's Please Don't Stop the Music). If they're cheaper during the sales I'd say get one

Tim

Advertisement