Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod touch advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mull3T

i appreciate the advice on where to buy it and thanks...but could someone please state clearly how to make sure you get it through customs? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well, as of yesterday morning, my 16GB is in Customs in PortLaoise.
    Fingers, toes arms and legs all crossed that the box doesn't get opened.

Anyone have any experience as to how long it takes to get things through customs and out for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guys, no discussion on how to avoid custom charges.

Mr.S wrote: »
    usally about a day, whenever i had something in PortLaoise is would come the next day, im in Dublin.

how much did you pay as a atter of interest?

€274.00 including delivery.

Cheers guys for all the help...i ordered mine of amazon.co.uk...(avoid customs) on saturday...so should be here within the next week or two just in time for christmas =)...im very pleased as i got it for a mean 340 (16gb) which a nice save...good luck to those buying one...i recommend uk site as christmas is approaching fast...thanks again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

i got my 16gb touch off an ebay uk powerseller, altogether came to 287 euro including delivery, i got lucky i guess...

opened it up today and tired to sync it with my laptop running windows vista ultimate 32bit only to find out it does not work with it, 64 bit deffo does not work but my 32bit ultimate edition dosent work either

itunes just wont detect it, windows detects it as a digital still camera device..

itunes is up to date and all that malarkey, its quite annoying :/

BArra wrote: »
    i got my 16gb touch off an ebay uk powerseller, altogether came to 287 euro including delivery, i got lucky i guess...

opened it up today and tired to sync it with my laptop running windows vista ultimate 32bit only to find out it does not work with it, 64 bit deffo does not work but my 32bit ultimate edition dosent work either

itunes just wont detect it, windows detects it as a digital still camera device..

itunes is up to date and all that malarkey, its quite annoying :/

Sounds like you got a good deal there then - no customs to worry about either.

Annoying problem though - can you downgrade to Windows XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Vista should cause a problem - I use mine on Vista (prob home edition) and all is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's an excellent price - do you have a link to the ebay user?

Well, after getting mine for €274 including delivery etc.... i'm after being stuck with a €77 customs tax. Will be delivered tomorrow or the day after!

Oh well, still making a saving of €50 on it.

• Advertisement

Well, after getting mine for €274 including delivery etc.... i'm after being stuck with a €77 customs tax. Will be delivered tomorrow or the day after!

Oh well, still making a saving of €50 on it.

That's still pretty good, considering they're going for 350+ on adverts.ie

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's still pretty good, considering they're going for 350+ on adverts.ie

True, i almost bought one on adverts.ie for €300 but held off as i had my eye on the "cheaper" ebay version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Does anyone know of an application out there of adding an FM radio to an ipod touch? I was hoping after jailbrreaking it there would be a way of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's an excellent price - do you have a link to the ebay user?

it was this fella... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsaabman1970

im pretty sure i managed to win the cheapest 16gb touch hes sold and he has sold a lot, the bidding ended at like 9.30am on a monday morning, right time, right place i guess!!

it was this fella... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsaabman1970

im pretty sure i managed to win the cheapest 16gb touch hes sold and he has sold a lot, the bidding ended at like 9.30am on a monday morning, right time, right place i guess!!

Thanks BArra :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I'm looking at buying an Itouch was going to get one in the US but the above ebay seller would work out as cheap and I'd also have it before I went away.

But how does the warrenty work, Do i just contact apple themselves if something was to go wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

I've just been informed that my son wants the itouch for Christmas...just a quick question...can you upload your own music onto it? Anything I've read seems to say you have to buy it off itunes. I'm probably missing something but would like to know for sure before I fork out for one. Seems I'm too late to go the US or even UK route to get a good deal...oh well.

Dannygirl wrote: »
    I've just been informed that my son wants the itouch for Christmas...just a quick question...can you upload your own music onto it? Anything I've read seems to say you have to buy it off itunes. I'm probably missing something but would like to know for sure before I fork out for one. Seems I'm too late to go the US or even UK route to get a good deal...oh well.

Yes don't worry about that...if your son has cd's or movies or whatever else, they can all be uploaded to itunes for the touch. Its just like the rest of them just the ipod touch is a looot better :).Theres a lot of stuff to be done on the touch like jailbreaking it or whatever else but if you don't want to void your warranty i wouldnt recommend it.

Mull3T

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Another Ipod touch question - can you view www.boards.ie on the Safari? And also can you use the web on the ipod over a wireless broadband?? Little confuse about wi-fi and wireless broadband with the Ipod touch

Cheers

DonFred wrote: »
    Another Ipod touch question - can you view www.boards.ie on the Safari? And also can you use the web on the ipod over a wireless broadband?? Little confuse about wi-fi and wireless broadband with the Ipod touch

Cheers

They claim that safari on the iTouch works as it would on a desktop. Are you asking about boards.ie on safari in particular?

Check out the demo here:
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/guidedtour/small.html

The safari part is about 80% in or so.

• Advertisement

Basically I just want to know if the Ipod touch will work in hotels or when Im away from home. Like to be able to view www.boards.ie and my fantasy football team on www.fantasy-preimierleague.com etc. Maybe check my emails. Thanks.

DonFred wrote: »
    Basically I just want to know if the Ipod touch will work in hotels or when Im away from home. Like to be able to view www.boards.ie and my fantasy football team on www.fantasy-preimierleague.com etc. Maybe check my emails. Thanks.

From what I can tell, you connect to a wireless network just like with a PC. Check out the product demo link I posted earlier, I'm sure it will clarify it.

Nice one!! Just hope Santa delivers it to the right house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Well I got back through customs without a bother, they didn't stop anyone I saw :) Though even if I had been stopped I wouldn't have been too annoyed, still cheaper than here.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an application out there of adding an FM radio to an ipod touch? I was hoping after jailbrreaking it there would be a way of doing this?

The only one I've found is the iRadio app and technically its not radio, its like shoutcast, internet radio, and you need wifi on for it to work.
    DonFred wrote:

Yeah it should work in hotels :) but you may need to pay for you wifi :(
    mull3t wrote:
    Dannygirl wrote:
    Yes don't worry about that...if your son has cd's or movies or whatever else, they can all be uploaded to itunes for the touch. Its just like the rest of them just the ipod touch is a looot better .Theres a lot of stuff to be done on the touch like jailbreaking it or whatever else but if you don't want to void your warranty i wouldnt recommend it.

Actually you can restore your ipod to its original state at any time, by putting it in restore mode then using itunes to restore to the original firmware.
    From doing plenty of research it looks pretty impossible to brick it (if even possible). Your warranty will be fine once you can restore it, but you would lose all content you have on the ipod and have to re-copy it all.

I'm delighted I went for the touch. I was thinking about the archos 604 and the zune80 but once I did the research and played with the ipod I had to get it :)

OH right cool...thanks lafors im actually soo happy i know that now..i kept pondering on whether il jailbreak it or not..thanks for the info....imagine it vroke the first time you tried it..jeez and imagine no warranty..that was my fear..thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

alright lads to any of ya's have a direct link to the itouch firmware 1.1.1 cant find it anywhere on the apple site or any of the machack sites etc its driving me mental at this stage:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I just got a 16gb touch from the states and its savage, i jailbreaked it straight away. Brilliant machine, hav a few questions though.

Having some trouble loading the iphone apps, mail, weather, stocks, maps.... Was hoping someone could shine a light i tried to copy the youtube video the ipodtouchmaster provided but it wouldnt work for me?

I wouldnt dare ask how too put a movie on an ipod but its driving me nuts i have dvd drive and all that ive gone through the FAQ downloaded programmes and nothing will get vids into itunes. Put the dvd in the drive.... one program to rip one to convert one to sync.

Except for some reason i now have Batman begins, bryan and experience in that folder. Dont know where ny of them came from.

alright lads to any of ya's have a direct link to the itouch firmware 1.1.1 cant find it anywhere on the apple site or any of the machack sites etc its driving me mental at this stage:mad:

PM me your email and i'll send it to you :)

@Deedsie

When you jailbreak are you back to 1.1.2?
    I used the installer.
    You need to install the preps for the apps first from the installer.

For movies I use videora ipod touch converter, its free and works great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've been reading this review...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/apple-ipod-touch-review-verdict-good-in-the-face-of-greatness-300127.php

What are the cons of using it for internet?

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    What are the cons of using it for internet?

The touch screen and the size of the writing.
    When I do the zoom thing (move fingers apart) to make the writing bigger, I always end up clicking on an ad or something else. The touch screen is great but so much stuff on the net only need one click so this is a pain on the touch. I also tend to stay away from the forums on it, pain to navigate.

In fairness though its pretty sweet still. I'm very happy I got it.
    The mail app is great too, I use my gmail and they have IMAP on gmail now so it means my account is up to date on both devices no matter which one I use :)

Advertisement