Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod touch advice

Options
  • 03-12-2007 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I just was wondering about the touch...I was thinkin of gettin one for christmas....is it worth it? opinions please:D...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

get one! they are the dogs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i havent got one but i would love one, i was in NYC recently and it was a choice of the cool great looking itouch with 16GB or the boring classic with 80GB LOL

im afraid i choose the classic for the storage volume only, if the itouch was even marginally higher than 16, maybe 25-30gb i would of went with that.

hope this helps, but all my opinion of course.
    go have a look at them and get a feel for them and see if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

My wife picked one up for me in NY last week and I've been playing with it since the weekend. It's just lovely, and the user interface is just so slick. I have to manage my music manually since I've over 16GB of music, but I now have all my (3500+) photos on it too, and it's sitting on my desk doing a random slideshow of the photos. It came with 1.1.1 firmware, so I was able to use jailbreak (after a few goes) and play around with the apps you can install.

Overall I'm very impressed, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If you can get it in NY it's always better money wise.

Although Iphones don't work in Ireland, wouldn't be the same with the touch would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Mr.S wrote: »
    if you have over 15gb of music then its not worth it, unless you dont mind not having video.

but for me, i only have 8gb of music that i listen to, so that leaves me with 8gb for videos, which is perfect:)

got the 16gb for 330€ delivered, im happy:)

I've just ordered the 16GB on Ebay.... €284.00 including delivery! Impressive provided it will sneak through customs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Mull3T wrote: »
    I just was wondering about the touch...I was thinkin of gettin one for christmas....is it worth it? opinions please:D...

I would say get one. If you jailbreak it and install the iphone and other 3rd party applications it becomes a lot more useful than a regular ipod. The interface and useability are miles ahead too. I was never big into mp3 players even for long flights but this one is a lot more - Wireless internet - pop email, google maps, photos, music, youtube, local films or videos, rakes of other apps, pdf readers, book readers, dictionary/encyclopedias etc. Its kind of like a mini laptop or a tricorder or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

To show my love for mine, I decided to use AppTapp Installer to download a Screenshot program, take the picture, email it to my work address from my own Gmail account (IMAP) which is connected to the wireless network in the office, send it with Finder and guess what happens... notice the mail icon on the bottom ;-)

spit_image.php?session=c7247eb42f794dc08f388cfebd86b4a6cf743ace6bfad9b843e822d98e38894f58ad02ba5c2ebb3cac8829881a

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i must admit to being very interested in this thread because im going to new york at christmas and was planning on getting one.

@auggie2k

so about the wifi....how easy is it to connect/use? what about password protected networks. can you browse the internet like on a laptop or is it restricted at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mull3T

Thanks people. Ive got a pretty good idea about whats going on with it now...looks like im gonna try out the 16gb...just wondering where would be the best place to buy it price wise????

It's this simple - You scan, you select, you entered your password, your connected.

• Advertisement

have you jailbreak(ed??) it? what are the nintendo+gameboy icons on the screenshot you posted?

Mull3T wrote: »
    Thanks people. Ive got a pretty good idea about whats going on with it now...looks like im gonna try out the 16gb...just wondering where would be the best place to buy it price wise????

Hey Mull3T,

This is where i've just ordered mine from... pretty good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Fully-Sealed-Apple-ITOUCH-Ipod-16-G-B-NEW_W0QQitemZ140185386921QQihZ004QQcategoryZ90964QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks paddy:D

How much are they selling it in New York?

WoollyRedHat: How much are they selling it in New York?

Gougher are u gonna get one????

Not at the moment but maybe when i get a bit more cash, they look really cool and you go on the internet on them so you know.

P.s pm me your bebo Darragh.

uglyjohn wrote:
    have you jailbreak(ed??) it? what are the nintendo+gameboy icons on the screenshot you posted?

I have indeed, the Installer icon is just on the other side on the screen. The ROMs can be downloaded from just Googling "download ROMs"... you have to use a FTP program to copy them onto the iPod when its connected to a network that your also connected to - sounds tricky but it's really easy - an program called OpenSSH just must be installed (it enables the remote access).

Search YouTube for the "IpodTouchMaster" and look at his videos - it explains it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

if u ordered one off a seller in america, whats the best way to get them to send it to you so as u wont get stung by customs??

tell them mark is as a gift or a book or something?

auggie2k wrote: »
    I have indeed, the Installer icon is just on the other side on the screen. The ROMs can be downloaded from just Googling "download ROMs"... you have to use a FTP program to copy them onto the iPod when its connected to a network that your also connected to - sounds tricky but it's really easy - an program called OpenSSH just must be installed (it enables the remote access).

Search YouTube for the "IpodTouchMaster" and look at his videos - it explains it all!

wow thanks, i had a look at his videos. deff gonna get one now.

Gift yup, everything is issue as gift. The box is really small for it, very compact.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i got him to mark mine as a gift.

I think you're allowed to bring in something to the value of €170, that means that €100 will be taxed at 21% - so i don't mind paying in the region of €21.00 if i do get nabbed :D

can anyone confirm that? i thought it had to be very low value

I got mine about two months ago from Japan marked gift, shipping charges were only about €30.

im asking about customs charges, not shipping

Ah, I see - well checking my eBay stats from the history - Paddy_Fowler story checks out.

did u get done for customs or did u get it marked as a gift or u just got lucky with customs?

I'm sure the eBay sellers would do this anyway, cheaper for them as well. eBay is your best choice, just read the details carefully are make sure they are a trusted seller.

I purchased an item from Japan (on ebay), cost me €240 - it's €540 in the shops here at the moment! I never got a bill from customs - so i'm praying that it'll be the same with the ITouch.

I can't confirm the €170.00 limit - just something i've heard on the grapevine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

To clarify ,

To be legally marked as "gift" , the item has to be valued at less that 45 euro , it cannot come from a business address , rather it must come from a private address to a private address , and any seller that does otherwise is risking his business ,

Also , insurance wise , if anything happens to it and its marked as gift , there is no attached value and you basically have no comeback ,

Best to have it shipped normally , if you get caught you get caught , you pay the fee, but you still get your stuff.

Below from revenue.ie
    Leaflets & Guides

Notice by the Revenue Commissioners
    Notice No. 1179 - Customs Duty and VAT at Importation
    Guide to Reliefs available for the import from non-EC countries of:

- Consignments of Negligible Value, and

- Gift Consignments

1. INTRODUCTION

When goods are imported into, or received in, Ireland from a country outside the European Community (E.C.) they are liable to import charges (Customs Duty, Anti-Dumping, Countervailing and Excise Duties where applicable and VAT) at the point of importation. However, in the case of:

- consignments of negligible value which are imported by a person resident in Ireland;

and

- gift consignments which are received by a person resident in Ireland

a certain amount of relief is available from these charges. This Guide outlines the relief available, how it may be obtained and the procedures which apply in order to obtain it.

It is important to note that there are separate reliefs available for travellers who wish to import goods with them on return from abroad and these differ from those described below. Full details of reliefs for travellers are set out in Leaflet PN 1878.

>> Back to top

2. Consignments of Negligible Value

Consignments not exceeding a total value of €22 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty and VAT. However, there is no relief for importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters irrespective of their value.

3. Gift Consignments

Relief from payment of Customs Duty and VAT is allowed on gift consignments from outside of the E.C. where the following conditions are met:

The value of the gift does not exceed €45.
    The gift is correctly declared (see paragraph 7).
    It has been sent from a private person abroad to another person within the E.C.
    The gift is for the personal or family use of a private individual in Ireland.
    There is no commercial or trade element i.e. the goods have not been paid for.
    Alcohol, Tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters are within the allowances set out in paragraph 4. Anything over those allowances is liable to charges.
    The gift is of an occasional nature only, such as a birthday or anniversary.
    >> Back to top

See section 3 above ,

Also it should be noted , that at this time of year , anything marked as gift and coming from an obvious retailer , is going to catch the eye of customs. Its a common fallacy that anything marked as gift wont get looked at , if anything it will draw attention.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Mathias.

Going to have the guy take the "gift" tag off it then!

Cheers.

Advertisement