Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Naturalisation : processing time and final stage

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 abc_

I think it is time to improve the GNIB immigration office service as the application processing time exceeding 3 years for Naturalisation and LTR is not to be tolerated and humiliates the rights of legally employed immigrants (compared to UK where Naturalisation is guaranteed and takes 3 months only).

Could we do anything to push this stupid and painful situation with Irish immigration system processing times further?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

procure11 wrote: »
    I love Boards.ie,I'm literarily addicted to it.It never ceases to amaze me how people just make up stories to accentuate their points...but I suppose because it is a faceless medium we are bound to be subjected to a lot of nonsense but that's what makes it fun.

Abed,I can categorically tell you that your statements about two jobless people getting their citizenship processed in 8 months( and was successful) is definitely and absolutely false.

I understand that when it comes to some issues some people have extraordinary convictions and would go to any length to prove their points,but this one went beyond the line.

With Due respect, I used to work with a national migrant support NGO and the two cases are ones worked on by my colleagues ( they actually filled their applications) at the time in 2008. one in Galway and one in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2009/H354.html

above is the courts attitude towards applicants going to court forcing the minister to stop delaying. One will need to show reasons over and above other people's circumstances in order to be fast tracked. this may be difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fattypatty

And now since work to rule/strikes happening in public sector....we can kiss the processing time goodbye to more than 3 years now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

fattypatty wrote: »
    And now since work to rule/strikes happening in public sector....we can kiss the processing time goodbye to more than 3 years now :(

I feel your pain.

For me, the only way I managed to deal with the delay was forget about the application altogether.
    I eventually received a surprise phone call from my lawyer, telling me that the process was complete, and life rolled on.
    ;)

• Advertisement

Mort5000 wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

For me, the only way I managed to deal with the delay was forget about the application altogether.
    I eventually received a surprise phone call from my lawyer, telling me that the process was complete, and life rolled on.
    ;)

how long have you been waiting from application to decision man?

fattypatty wrote: »
    how long have you been waiting from application to decision man?

I applied in July-2005 and had the certificate of naturalisation in my hand in December-2008.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

I dont get it, people who contribute to the state, have not broken any laws, who live and work here and just want to get on in life and take the proper legal rute to citizenship seem to get a load of crap.

Those who defraud, lie and bend the system with false RSI numbers etc get away with it

Again, something needs to be reformed and no established party has a clear idea about pragmatic reform

q100000161740659_8484.jpg

amhrannua.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 salem66

Yesterday I went to renew my residence permit at Garda National Immigration Bureau, 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2. And after a very long waiting the immigration officer refused to renew my residence permit and he said they still have not received any instruction regarding the IBC/05 scheme. However, The Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service announced that on the 17th of December 2009 (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PB09000197) that “An arrangement has been put in place for the further renewal of permission to remain in the State to non-nationals who are the parents of an Irish born child, born in the State before 1 January 2005, who were initially granted permission to remain in the State under the Irish Born Child Scheme, 2005 (IBC/05) and who were subsequently granted further permission to remain under the IBC Renewals Scheme, 2007”.

I do not know exactly where that arrangement!! As you know both the Garda National Immigration Bureau and the department of IBC/05 are sharing the same building (13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2). It looks that the government departments do not talk to each other even if they share the same building!!

The parents of Irish born children granted leave to remain here under 2005 scheme still face an uncertain future, as there is no visibility in the scheme. If I remember back in January 2007 The Minister for Justice, Mr Michael McDowell announced that the parents of Irish born children granted permission to remain in the State for an initial period of 2 years and those permissions now fall to be renewed for periods of up to three years at which stage those qualifying will be eligible to apply for full citizenship. (http://www.newtotown.ie/forum/living-ireland/leave-remain-non-national-parents-irish-born-child-435.html). However the current The Minister for Justice made a U-turn in the IBC/05 scheme by renewing the permission for a period of up to three years only and not application for irish citizenship!!

Most parents of the Irish born children granted leave to remain here under the 2005 scheme are highly educated and professionals but, still treated very badly by the current government. Some of them they can not plan for thier future e.g. buying a house or establishing business as they live with uncertainty regarding their status in the state, simply we are in a limbo!!

Best regards,
    Ali

The Non-national are still treated very badly by the current government. And the current government will pay a very high price for the bad treatment as more and more Non-national become Irish nation by naturisation (~ 5000 every year) and those peopel will NOT support this government in any local or general election:D.

Best regards,
    Ali

• Advertisement

abc_ wrote: »
    Could we do anything to push this stupid and painful situation with Irish immigration system processing times further?

Yes, dear we can do alot of things to push this stupid and painful situation with Irish immigration system processing times

To get the Irish Naturalisation in to the (Gunnies record;)) as it is the longest Naturalisation process in the world (3-4 YEARS)

I think that will humiliate this Government:mad:

What you think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i called them and they were closed but also they said they were looking at applications of july 2006 ,but in the website they say they ae looking at july 2008?

so i dont understand this,also why does it take a long time to look at applications but this is probable due to huge amounts of application being accumlated.
    but cant they take like for example , for 4 months 2006 application & reply to them after this and then they take 2007 and look at them and reply in 5 months and so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

SWL wrote: »
    Why should a population you clearly don't respect and clearly despise award you citizenship, simply because you asked for it?
    Citizenship you will find is highly though of by the Irish population, and rightly so, checks should be carried out until the State (the individuals elected by the Irish citizens to administer policy in Ireland interest) are satisfied, your posts are full of the victim mentality, I think you are more interested in getting the passport rather than interest in integration or love of Ireland or respect for the Irish population.

The process might take time due to checks, and I as a citizen have no problem with that, Irish passports should not be handed out like confetti. It is a privilege and not a right. While you don't agree with Mr Lenihan clearly based on a basis view he is an elected official to the Dail with responsibility to look and the wider implications of citizenship and that is what he is doing.

Get off your high horse man.
    We're past those days when we bask in the glory of our proud fatherland and such. We're all in the EU now and where you chose to live and what authorities you answer to is mostly an administrative technicality these days.
    The process of naturalization - once eligible - should be most of all transparent. It should not depend on some fkn eejit in some office and whatever moodswing he's having the day my papers land on his desk.
    And once I live and pay my taxes here for more than 5 years I'm bloody entitled to rant on about the incompetent, corrupt government, Kerry people and the gob****e who lives next door as much the next guy.

Edit: And for the record. I'm not Irish, I'm a long time resident, but I'm also not seeking citizenship. But not because I disrespect the Irish or Ireland, quite the opposite, but because I can't see the point. I do, however, have an opinion on what I think is unfair treatment of people who do see a point and qualify just as much as I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Urstruly

My application was approved 2years and 4 months ago, i called the citizenship department in last November and they said i should be hearing from them in January (this yr) I havent received any news from them. ive tried calling for the past 2week (tue n Thurs) but they are not answering their phones coz of the strike of civial servants.

Fair enough there have to be checks etc but 2 plus years is a Joke infairness and no amount of explanation can make me think otherwise.
    Its ok for the self righteous irish ppl to say Its fair its fair! 2 years is a really long time of waiting! ITs annoying its unfair and its really getting up my goat! I wish they would let ppl know where they stand instead of leaving them in limbo! this has to end! serioulsy!

Urstruly wrote: »
    My application was approved 2years and 4 months ago, i called the citizenship department in last November and they said i should be hearing from them in January (this yr) I havent received any news from them. ive tried calling for the past 2week (tue n Thurs) but they are not answering their phones coz of the strike of civial servants.

Fair enough there have to be checks etc but 2 plus years is a Joke infairness and no amount of explanation can make me think otherwise.
    Its ok for the self righteous irish ppl to say Its fair its fair! 2 years is a really long time of waiting! ITs annoying its unfair and its really getting up my goat! I wish they would let ppl know where they stand instead of leaving them in limbo! this has to end! serioulsy!

Did you mean that your application was submitted over two years ago?
    Are you certain that they have your correct address?
    You can write to them too. In the past I've had a good response when using simple post.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

realcam wrote: »
    Get off your high horse man.
    We're past those days when we bask in the glory of our proud fatherland and such. We're all in the EU now and where you chose to live and what authorities you answer to is mostly an administrative technicality these days.
    The process of naturalization - once eligible - should be most of all transparent. It should not depend on some fkn eejit in some office and whatever moodswing he's having the day my papers land on his desk.
    And once I live and pay my taxes here for more than 5 years I'm bloody entitled to rant on about the incompetent, corrupt government, Kerry people and the gob****e who lives next door as much the next guy.

Edit: And for the record. I'm not Irish, I'm a long time resident, but I'm also not seeking citizenship. But not because I disrespect the Irish or Ireland, quite the opposite, but because I can't see the point. I do, however, have an opinion on what I think is unfair treatment of people who do see a point and qualify just as much as I would.

I am not Irish, I am entitled to claim Irish citizenship, however unlike the majority it would hypocritical of me as I am NOT Irish.

You clearly no nothing about the procedures for naturalization in this country suggesting that it depends on the mood of an officer proves this, if that were the case I think the system/Irish courts would be overwhelmed with appeals, and the post you quoted was in response to someone who didn’t understand them either.

So maybe you should get off your high horse and read the post in context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I am not Irish, I am entitled to claim Irish citizenship,
    Which means one of your grandparents was born on this island.
    however unlike the majority it would hypocritical of me as I am NOT Irish.
    Interesting viewpoint. I'm not sure how many others would think it hypocritical to claim something to which you are entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Which means one of your grandparents was born on this island.

Interesting viewpoint. I'm not sure how many others would think it hypocritical to claim something to which you are entitled.

Although I have been tax resident in Ireland for 10 years with periods aboard for work up to 6 months at a time, so I understand Ireland or Irish People I think pretty well.

However I am not Irish I was educated and living in a different (western) culture, I still see things through that prism. Personally I am still a guest here and happy to go with the flow, if I was not happy here I would persuade my partner and leave, how much longer I stay I have no clue.

I love Ireland and its people, but for me to say Irish because I collect my Irish passport would simply be incorrect.

for me to say Irish because I collect my Irish passport would simply be incorrect.

But you're European right?
    I.e. you don't have to renew work visas year after year and endure a fun filled day at GNIB at regular intervals?

Mort5000 wrote: »
    Did you mean that your application was submitted over two years ago?
    Are you certain that they have your correct address?
    You can write to them too. In the past I've had a good response when using simple post.

Yeah i lodged my application about OCt 2007 after, i think; two weeks i received a letter saying that my application has been aknowledged. Yeah they have my correct address coz i wrote to them when i changed it and they replied to my new address so yeah they have the correct address. When i called them in november last yr they said my application had been "sent for decesion and that i will hear form them by the first week in jan 2010 the latest"
    The reason i'm anxious to hear from them is that my friends and i are thinking of going on a J1 in june and it would really be a shame if i missed out. I'm not from the EU and the process of getting to the USA with my current Travel Document would be a Nightmare to say the least.

• Advertisement

I'll try writting them but as they are on strike chances are many ppl have written to them and they might not even reply. but i'll do that nonetheless. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manasa

I was wondering if you could help me, anyone with answers and ideas would be good. I moved with my family here to Ireland about 5years ago when I was 14yrs old. My mother was granted leave to remain on Irish born child which i was also able to get the same stamp 4 visa, I did all my secondary school education here in Ireland. I have been working here for more than 5yrs as well as going to school. In 2006 i decided to enter full time employment while i studied part time, and in 2008 i lost my job, but luckily in january of 2009 i got another one but only on contract of 3month which was later extended for another one month. But since then i have not been able to gain another employment, I am now currently writing my final year thesis in my course. I applied for my citizenship in Feb 0f 2008 with all necessary document, about 4 p21 stating have worked since i turned 16 in the country. But i recently got a letter frm the department of citizenship asking me to send in recent payslips and copy of bank statement for the last 3months...which i do not have but i called tax office and was told they wld be able to send me p21 for last year cause i had worked. I am worried my application might be rejected if i dont have the other two document. Dont know if to send it in, i tried calling yesterday but could nt get thru, pls anybody with advise on what to do. I am so worried that all the years of work for may not be considered..Thank you,, all advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

manasa wrote: »
    I was wondering if you could help me, anyone with answers and ideas would be good. I moved with my family here to Ireland about 5years ago when I was 14yrs old. My mother was granted leave to remain on Irish born child which i was also able to get the same stamp 4 visa, I did all my secondary school education here in Ireland. I have been working here for more than 5yrs as well as going to school. In 2006 i decided to enter full time employment while i studied part time, and in 2008 i lost my job, but luckily in january of 2009 i got another one but only on contract of 3month which was later extended for another one month. But since then i have not been able to gain another employment, I am now currently writing my final year thesis in my course. I applied for my citizenship in Feb 0f 2008 with all necessary document, about 4 p21 stating have worked since i turned 16 in the country. But i recently got a letter frm the department of citizenship asking me to send in recent payslips and copy of bank statement for the last 3months...which i do not have but i called tax office and was told they wld be able to send me p21 for last year cause i had worked. I am worried my application might be rejected if i dont have the other two document. Dont know if to send it in, i tried calling yesterday but could nt get thru, pls anybody with advise on what to do. I am so worried that all the years of work for may not be considered..Thank you,, all advice welcome

You'll get better advice from this forum: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=34

Bottom line is that the worst thing you can do is to claim social welfare. The naturalisation service looks on this disfavourably and it generally results in the rejection of the application.

manasa wrote: »

In this case what you can do is setup a company or register yourself for income tax purposes and show that you are self employed and not PAYE employed. (PAYE employee is when you get a job to work for someone). this means you are going to be showing tax returns to revenue on monthly basis. (e.g. Manasa earned 400 euros in February fixing computers or cleaning windows and in that period he paid 21% to the govnerment or wateva is owed). As far as the INIS is concerned they need the proper AUDITED accounts which you can get from a registered accountant which you can hire to do your accounts. Meaning you are paying the government tax which you are not earning in the first place....but still paying tax.

make sense? talk to an accountant in this matter. also you are wasting your time ringing them as most of the public sector is on work to rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rye

../i applied for naturalisation in june 2009- how long does it take to get a response ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

How long does it take for people with refugee status to get their certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nara77

hI, I applied for the naturalisation through marriage in october 2009. I never worked -just my husband works ..
    I just got a letter asking me to send a prove that me and my husband r living together( bills,bank statements for the last 3 months..). Did anyone ever got this kind of letters? what does it mean? We did send them all our bank statements and bills for the last 6 months when I applied-but why they r asking me again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

nara77 wrote: »
    but why they r asking me again?

To make sure you're still together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sammy1301

nara77 wrote: »
    hI, I applied for the naturalisation through marriage in october 2009. I never worked -just my husband works ..
    I just got a letter asking me to send a prove that me and my husband r living together( bills,bank statements for the last 3 months..). Did anyone ever got this kind of letters? what does it mean? We did send them all our bank statements and bills for the last 6 months when I applied-but why they r asking me again?

hi
    my sister just got her naturalization she got a letter just like u she posted the papers they need and few days letter she got a letter of confirming her naturalization so it s a sign of getting ur naturalization u dont have to worry about anything if u have ur name and ur husband s name on the bills good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement