Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Your Gear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Hey Malice, How're ye finding the Markbass? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dord wrote: »
    Hey Malice, How're ye finding the Markbass? :)
    Loving it so far :). I haven't had a chance to really crank it up but even on low volumes the clarity of sound is delicious. Unlike my last bass amp, the tone controls on the head are very responsive so even the slightest tweak can produce quite different sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Malice_ wrote: »
    Loving it so far :). I haven't had a chance to really crank it up but even on low volumes the clarity of sound is delicious. Unlike my last bass amp, the tone controls on the head are very responsive so even the slightest tweak can produce quite different sounds.

Awesome. I really wish some stores over here carried them. I'd love to try a few out... especially that new module based head.

In other news... that '58 RI Les Paul plain top is sweeeet! :eek: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

@ Fuzztone what bass is that? It looks so purrrdy.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

lalee17 wrote: »
    @ Fuzztone what bass is that? It looks so purrrdy.. :D

Thanks Lalee :) It was a concept bass built by Paul Rose, an English Luthier. He built it to try out some ideas he had for a great sounding travel bass and I managed to snag pretty cheaply when he was clearing out his workshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

fuzztone wrote: »
    Thanks Lalee :) It was a concept bass built by Paul Rose, an English Luthier. He built it to try out some ideas he had for a great sounding travel bass and I managed to snag pretty cheaply when he was clearing out his workshop.

Nice, looks great for slapping etc.. Kind of like a Warwick bass.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Here's some of my gitfiddles: SRV Lenny Relic Strat, Vintage V100GT, 2010 Fender American Standard Strat.

DSC00630.jpg

We definitely need to see more of that SRV strat! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Loving that Jazzmaster new fang! Where'd you find it in BMM? And is that a Mastery bridge? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Got a Fender Jazz highway one at the start of december. My 3rd bass and I bloody love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Loving that Jazzmaster new fang! Where'd you find it in BMM? And is that a Mastery bridge? :cool:
    cheers! BMM? burgundy? friend of mine got it on sale a few years back and later we swapped guitars

can't tell from the photo, but it's pretty banged up paintwork wise (my friend was a mild alcoholic who gigged almost weekly - and yet strangely, the guitar was dustier and grimier than a pensioner's nether regions when i got it)

the bridge is a locking roller bridge, like this one - http://www.guitarvalue.com/images/crbnw60.jpg . masteries are a wee bit out of my pricerange. this bridge was around 30 quid on ebay and all it needed was some light handywork to put in the new brushings! i actually went through the stock, a mustang one, and a regular tuneomatic since i got this. dunno why i didn't just go for the buzzstop and call it a day..

pickups and tuners aren't stock either.

i take it you're a jazzmaster owner yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

We definitely need to see more of that SRV strat! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I want it!

Is that the super expensive Lenny edition??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

new fang wrote: »
    BMM? burgundy?

Burgundy mist metallic.

cheers! BMM? burgundy? friend of mine got it on sale a few years back and later we swapped guitars

can't tell from the photo, but it's pretty banged up paintwork wise (my friend was a mild alcoholic who gigged almost weekly - and yet strangely, the guitar was dustier and grimier than a pensioner's nether regions when i got it)

the bridge is a locking roller bridge, like this one - http://www.guitarvalue.com/images/crbnw60.jpg . masteries are a wee bit out of my pricerange. this bridge was around 30 quid on ebay and all it needed was some light handywork to put in the new brushings! i actually went through the stock, a mustang one, and a regular tuneomatic since i got this. dunno why i didn't just go for the buzzstop and call it a day..

pickups and tuners aren't stock either.

i take it you're a jazzmaster owner yourself?

Ravelleman knows what's up, burgundy mist metallic indeed :pac: Such a nice colour, kinda hard to find as far as I know too. Looks class.

Yeah, I've got a Jazzmaster, waiting to get it back from repair (actually just got a phone call half an hour ago from Guitar Fix saying it's ready!) I broke the CIJ vibrato a while ago and decided to give it a nice upgrade all over since it needed work, so I got an AVRI vibrato and some Curtis Novak pickups. I dropped it into Guitar Fix 'cause, while trying to do the work myself, I stripped a few screw heads like a moron and wasn't able to get the old vibrato out, didn't fancy my chances with a screw extractor either. I've been replacing the pickups while it's in there but I think I'll need to get a new switch for it, this one's giving out. Might look out for a new bridge too. I'm looking forward to being able to post pictures soon enough :)

Buzz stop? No! All the behind-the-bridge goodness will be gone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Ravelleman knows what's up, burgundy mist metallic indeed :pac: Such a nice colour, kinda hard to find as far as I know too. Looks class.

It's one of the best. I love old Fender colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

it's honestly closer to brown than purple, maybe it's just my guitar or my eyes :p

would kill for a seafoam green anything. guy from deertick actually plays this:

deertick.jpg

though their music is more costello than mbv or sonic youth. he's kind of a folky kurt cobain.

this baby is up on ads at the minute if you want to take a gander - better pics of the finish, too (though under a different name, this login wasn't working when i first tried posting an ad so was forced to make a new one)

the tremolo is an absolute c*nt alright, whose bright idea was it to have a slide-in tremolo arm. the clamping system gets inevitably loose and worn out within days of use. i just don't bother with the tremolo to be honest, it really complicates thinga. also, while we're at it, isn't tremolo a misnomer? the should call it a vibrato arm.

recently upgraded (or downgraded, depending on your worldview) to a HS mexican telecaster. it's one of those guitars that takes literally minutes to fall in love with, whereas the jazzmaster took months of perseverance to even like. it's a looker, a sounder but an acquired taste regarding playability.

this baby is up on ads at the minute if you want to take a gander - better pics of the finish, too (though under a different name, this login wasn't working when i first tried posting an ad so was forced to make a new one)

the tremolo is an absolute c*nt alright, whose bright idea was it to have a slide-in tremolo arm. the clamping system gets inevitably loose and worn out within days of use. i just don't bother with the tremolo to be honest, it really complicates thinga. also, while we're at it, isn't tremolo a misnomer? the should call it a vibrato arm.

recently upgraded (or downgraded, depending on your worldview) to a HS mexican telecaster. it's one of those guitars that takes literally minutes to fall in love with, whereas the jazzmaster took months of perseverance to even like. it's a looker, a sounder but an acquired taste regarding playability.

Yeah, afaik Fender got it wrong from the start and called vibratos tremolos, and just stuck with it.

But it's not a **** at all, once it's set up right, I think it's the best vibrato system going. Stays perfectly in tune, makes realistic vibrato sounds, feels great, allows for sul pont playing, and if you break a string, you've got the 'trem lock' to sort it out right away.

I have a Tele too, love it to bits, but such a different guitar, I could never prefer one or other :)

Punchdrunk; I came on here excited about posting a picture of my pedals how I just set them up, and I have to follow your ****ing vintage Electric Mistresses? **** you :P

They look class, really clean too! My 4-year-old Big Muff isn't that tidy. How do they sound? Can you notice much of a difference between the editions? I've never been in a position to play through a vintage piece of gear like that, let alone compare two issues of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Punchdrunk; I came on here excited about posting a picture of my pedals how I just set them up, and I have to follow your ****ing vintage Electric Mistresses? **** you :P

They look class, really clean too! My 4-year-old Big Muff isn't that tidy. How do they sound? Can you notice much of a difference between the editions? I've never been in a position to play through a vintage piece of gear like that, let alone compare two issues of something.

Sorry! :D

one sounds VERY bright (I think the trim pots need a tweak)
    and the other sounds noisy (mods will be done!)

but as somebody who hated flangers these reformed my opinions on the beasts! such a lush,deep sound,I'm kind of addicted :o

to call them a flanger is a bit misleading,yes they can do the "jet plane" thing but I think it's actually fairer to call them "modulators"
    chorus/filter/flanger and mixes of all three inbetween

:pac:

Oooh I'm loving that android El Pron,how's it sound?

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Oooh I'm loving that android El Pron,how's it sound?

It's very cool, I don't really know how I can fault it, but I just keep thinking there should be a bit... More? But that might be because I started with ring modulation on synthesisers and computers, so I keep thinking of being able to use anything as a carrier, while this pedal only has a square wave.

When I first got it I was running it off batteries and the carrier signal would bleed through a lot, which was head wrecking, but with an AC adapter, it doesn't seem to have that problem.

But it does exactly what I want it to do, thick noisy ring modulation and noisy square wave tremolo on slower settings. It can be nice and have that bell-type sound too, but I haven't explored it that much yet :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Boycey, sir. I would very much like a go on that THD! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Looks familiar Boycey, #1418? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Ha, t'is indeed Voodu!! Small world eh?? I asked the chap I bought it from did he get it from your good self, but he couldn't remember the sellers name. I had my suspicions!!

Fey - any time you want a lend of it just let me know. I have a nice box of valves to experiment with too. Seriously, just pm me and she's all yours!!

I hope its working well for you Boycey, its a good few years now since I had it but she was a fantastic little amp! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

boycey wrote: »
    Fey - any time you want a lend of it just let me know. I have a nice box of valves to experiment with too. Seriously, just pm me and she's all yours!!

An extremely generous (and tempting) offer sir but unfortunately, I don't have the time to devote to it that it deserves. Perhaps another guitar up is needed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

I hope its working well for you Boycey, its a good few years now since I had it but she was a fantastic little amp! :)
    feylya wrote: »
    An extremely generous (and tempting) offer sir but unfortunately, I don't have the time to devote to it that it deserves. Perhaps another guitar up is needed ;)

Yeah, she's in great nick Voodu. The attenuator can be a bit tempramental at times but other than that it's all good.

Fey - we'll organise an oul meet up at some point alright. Anytime you want a lend and have a bit of free time gimme a shout.

boycey wrote: »
    Yeah, she's in great nick Voodu. The attenuator can be a bit tempramental at times but other than that it's all good.

The hotplate is pretty simple, just a rheostat and capacitor. The rheostat probably just needs cleaning, i'd shoot THD an email and see if they have a cleaning guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

What's the story with the lad who sorted your amp, Punchdrunk?

NickWray wrote: »
    What's the story with the lad who sorted your amp, Punchdrunk?

Installed some Mercury Magnetics Transformers in it for me,did a few mods to improve the clean sound,excellent stuff...all done and collected that afternoon which was excellent
    he's building his own handwired valve amps...very impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Sound! Who is he though?

Advertisement